2 0 0%
1 2 1.05%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 01:28 PM   #351
darkslayer101
Side-Kick

Default Re: Let The Claws Do The Talking - Rate & Review "The Wolverine"

Just caught the movie, I had mixed reactions on my way home thanks to the 3rd act. planning to give it a 8/10 but I finally set my mind on 7.5/10

Pros:
- Hugh Jackman's portrayal of Wolveirne can't be rivaled. I would go as far to say better than RDJ at the moment.
- supporting cast really left their mark especially Yukio and Mariko
- pacing was excellent
- bullet train sequence was short but surprised me
- chemistry between Wolverine and Mariko
- humor was well placed and not cheesy
- didn't think Viper was that campy and played a fine role in the movie
- CGI was much, much better than past Xmen movies
- scene: The part where he takes his heart out and slowly gets his powers back was pretty freaking hype scene
- liked how Wolverine finishes off Yashida
- I thought Wolverine would run out of juice, but man I am excited for another standalone Wolverine movie.

Cons:
- Action scenes were intense but felt there was no actual fighting going on. This is my main gripe, they have yet to portray the fighting side of Wolverine properly.
- Shaky cam fight was bad during the escape scene before bullet train, especially when it is the first fight in the movie
- wtf?! with the Adamantium removal and Yashida taking Wolvie's healing like using a straw, feels a little like the Mandarin thing with IM3. Don't understand why directors stick to source material and make a good movie only to pull something like this at the end
- Where is his Berserker rage?, his fights doesn't look believable except for the one with Shingen.
- Did not like the fact that Wolverine was just running around like a rat and tossing things during the last fight. USE YOUR CLAWS!
- Shingen's character was nicely developed only to end up being just a fight with Wolvie, which was short even though it was good.
- Also didn't like the character development Yashida got with Wolverine only to be turned him into a doucebag by the end.

If the fights scenes were improved and some plot points fixed, I would say it would have been CBM of the year. Maybe Zack Snyder should work with Mangold just for the fight scenes... Also I don't understand why people complain about him not dying immediately due to Adamantium. They said his flesh his weak and Wolvie said he is not healing like before mainly due to it being occupied with his skeleton. No one said the healing is completely off, not to mention he stayed up a whole day with bullets in his body.

Last edited by darkslayer101; 07-27-2013 at 07:10 PM.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:45 PM   #352
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
His healing factor was weakened, it wasn't gone entirely. He was shot 4 or 5 times and he was up and around much quicker than a normal person would have been.
Hard to hit a vital organ when the bone casing that protects them is made of unbreakable metal. Bullets shattering bones in say the shoulder won't have the same effect on wolverine, powers or otherwise.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:55 PM   #353
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
Hard to hit a vital organ when the bone casing that protects them is made of unbreakable metal. Bullets shattering bones in say the shoulder won't have the same effect on wolverine, powers or otherwise.
Bingo. Everything except the thigh and gut shot were flesh wounds. That's also what made the final bout with Shingen so great to me Shingen was an expert fighter and knew how to use a sword with surgical precision. That's why every time he doled out a kill strike he paused.

Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Old 07-27-2013, 02:07 PM   #354
shiveringmelody
The Dreaming Insomniac

After letting things settle for a couple days I am still loving this film! I am already looking ahead to the steelbook blu-ray. I certainly hope the talk of an unrated/R rated cut happens.

While I am not the biggest fan of Singer's version of X-Men, it has left me excited for Days of Future Past. Still this was a Wolverine film through and through. I personally loved the Jean stuff and had hope she would play a prominent role in this film even though X3 screwed up the Phoenix. My biggest complaint is
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Wolvie going back to the bone claws from here on apparently
even though it was a cool moment at the end of the film. Solid story with a great cast and characters. I want more Yukio! So far this is my second favorite movie of the year just behind Man of Steel.

8.5/10

Old 07-27-2013, 02:17 PM   #355
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
His healing factor was weakened, it wasn't gone entirely. He was shot 4 or 5 times and he was up and around much quicker than a normal person would have been.
Yeah that's what I thought

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 07-27-2013, 03:00 PM   #356
BlackFox
Burn baby burn!

Just got from my second viewing. I love this film, it gets better each time.

Yes its not perfect, but there are just so many good moments, even when you know they are coming and the third act really isnt all that bad, its intense and has some shocking moments its just what comes before is even better.

The whole self surgery and Yukio V Shingen then Logan V Shingen is just perfection.

I didnt notice the first time but Logan actually fakes a guy out on top the train to get him hit by a sign.

Logan is the Jack Bauer of the Marvel universe and Jackson has got the role down now.

I want to see another film with Logan and Yukio, they make a great team.

I dont really care about critic ratings any more, to me we have a great Wolverine film now that I can be proud of and is a nice little underated gem that some others will ignore.

I was going to give this film a 8.5/10 but you know what I am going up to 9.

I'm rambling I should stop now.

Last edited by BlackFox; 07-27-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:06 PM   #357
righthooksrus86
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFox View Post

Yes its not perfect, but there are just so many good moments, even when you know they are coming and the third act really isnt all that bad, its intense and has some shocking moments its just what comes before is even better.

The whole self surgery and Yukio V Shingen then Logan V Shingen is just perfection.

I didnt notice the first time but Logan actually fakes a guy out on top the train to get him hit by a sign.

Logan is the Jack Bauer of the Marvel universe and Jackson has got the role down now.

I dont really care about critic ratings any more, to me we have a great Wolverine film now that I can be proud of and is a nice little underated gem that some others will ignore.

I agree this was the definitive Wolverine movie...Hugh's portrayal of Logan in this movie is up there with Reeve as Superman, Michael Keaton/Christian Bale as Batman, and RDJ as Iron Man.

Old 07-27-2013, 03:06 PM   #358
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User

After thinking about it more, this movie comes at a great time. This summer has been filled with huge blockbusters on a massive scale almost every week (ie Iron Man 3, Star Trek, Man of Steel, Pacific Rim, ect), so it's great to see a more personal summer movie/smaller scale that has a somewhat big budget.

Old 07-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #359
Paladin-Hoss
Side-Kick

Quote:

I was going to give this film a 8.5/10 but you know what I am going up to 9.

I just got back from the movie....was gonna write a review , but you took the words right out of my mouth!

This is the Wolverine movie that should've came first. It kinda pissed me off to know that this movie will not be a success at the BO because origion poisoned the well.

Oh well...at least as a Wolvie fan, i'm pretty happy now that they've finally made a proper Wolverine movie!

Old 07-27-2013, 03:32 PM   #360
BlackFox
Burn baby burn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin-Hoss View Post
I just got back from the movie....was gonna write a review , but you took the words right out of my mouth!

This is the Wolverine movie that should've came first. It kinda pissed me off to know that this movie will not be a success at the BO because origion poisoned the well.

Oh well...at least as a Wolvie fan, i'm pretty happy now that they've finally made a proper Wolverine movie!
Yeah that is the only thing that narcs me about the reviews, its going to suffer at the BO which doesnt hurt you or I as we have the film we want at long last but its paying for another films mistakes.

I guess people will blame Fox for that and they do have to accept some blame for that.

But hey thats life, I got what I wanted and I hope most others do to.

Old 07-27-2013, 03:40 PM   #361
Paladin-Hoss
Side-Kick

It's funny...i've seen the movie about 2 hours ago, and the scenes that still etched in my mind are the quiet scenes between Logan and mariko...

We've seen Wolvie slashed people and gone berserk in other movies, but his relationship with Mariko was such a defining moment that character history, and i'm soo glad that this movie done it right.

It also helps that there's a great chemistry between the Jackman and Tao

Old 07-27-2013, 03:46 PM   #362
righthooksrus86
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah that is the only thing that narcs me about the reviews, its going to suffer at the BO which doesnt hurt you or I as we have the film we want at long last but its paying for another films mistakes.

I guess people will blame Fox for that and they do have to accept some blame for that.

But hey thats life, I got what I wanted and I hope most others do to.
Yup...having been a Wolverine fan since I was like 6 yrs old (I'm 27 now) Im so happy we finally got our Wolverine movie...Almost brought me to tears watching it, it was so beautiful lol. When this comes out on DVD it's gonna look great sittin next to my old X-Men film DVD collection, cartoons, comics and action figures.

Old 07-27-2013, 03:50 PM   #363
BlackFox
Burn baby burn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin-Hoss View Post
It's funny...i've seen the movie about 2 hours ago, and the scenes that still etched in my mind are the quiet scenes between Logan and mariko...

We've seen Wolvie slashed people and gone berserk in other movies, but his relationship with Mariko was such a defining moment that character history, and i'm soo glad that this movie done it right.

It also helps that there's a great chemistry between the Jackman and Tao
Agreed, they really put a great deal of effort into that relationship and it worked so well, this film deserves to earn double what Origins did but thats just not going to happen. I guess Origins really did P off a lot of people.

Old 07-27-2013, 03:51 PM   #364
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Don't worry about the box office. This movie cost less than $120 mil to make. If tracking stays on point it'll end up being one of the most successful movies of the year.

That being said, I bought 20 tickets through Fandango today. Doing my part

Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Old 07-27-2013, 03:52 PM   #365
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Only fanboys.

Nobody in the general audience is pissed off, or even thinking about, X-Men Origins: Wolverine. In fact, plenty of the general audience liked X-Men Origins: Wolverine well enough.

Old 07-27-2013, 03:55 PM   #366
Snikt
Side-Kick

Just saw it again for the third time today. Still awesome . And Can't wait for DOPF

Old 07-27-2013, 03:56 PM   #367
MarvelU
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
Only fanboys.

Nobody in the general audience is pissed off, or even thinking about, X-Men Origins: Wolverine. In fact, plenty of the general audience liked X-Men Origins: Wolverine well enough.
True, on Rotten tomatoes the Audience percentage that likes Origins Wolverine is over 65%.

Old 07-27-2013, 03:57 PM   #368
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

You know something I really liked about Wolverine, pretty much every comic book film I've watched over the past couple of years have done something that bugs me, now whilst I don't think the Wolverine is perfect, it doesn't have or didn't do anything that really bugged me.

Old 07-27-2013, 03:59 PM   #369
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poni_Boy View Post
Don't worry about the box office. This movie cost less than $120 mil to make. If tracking stays on point it'll end up being one of the most successful movies of the year.

I hope you have a Stubs card.

Spill

Old 07-27-2013, 04:08 PM   #370
Paladin-Hoss
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poni_Boy View Post

I hope you're right man. If there's one CBM that deserves to be succesfull this year..it's this movie IMO.

Quote:
Only fanboys.

Well...maybe not pissed off, just indifference or 'meh' reaction by the general audience.

It's just as bad as pissed off reaction because it'll kill the anticipation for the next installments just as good.

Old 07-27-2013, 04:11 PM   #371
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
Only fanboys.

My brother actually prefers Origins. lol

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
Old 07-27-2013, 04:14 PM   #372
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_H View Post
I hope you have a Stubs card.
Hell yes I do. Only reason I keep going to AMC theaters

Old 07-27-2013, 04:16 PM   #373
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

What's a stubs card?

Old 07-27-2013, 04:24 PM   #374
Liam_H
Side-Kick

AMC Stubs Card ($12 yearly subscription) tallys up every dollar you spend there, no limits. You get free upgrades on popcorn and soda. Any AMC ticket purchased online gets the 'convenince fee' waived. Since Poni Boy bought 20 tickets he probably saved like $25 from buying online. Lastly, for every $100 you spend you get $10 in credits to use.

So for people that go to the movies a lot that $12 is well worth it, especially if a single account is used among family/friends.

Spill

Old 07-27-2013, 04:27 PM   #375
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Yup. Plus it pays for itself because renewals are only $8. You'll easily have that much credit after a year at the movies even if you're only going once a month.

Seriously, it's the smartest thing they could have done. Not sure why Regal doesn't have something similar.

Closed Thread