2 0 0%
1 2 1.05%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 12:53 AM   #626
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Default Re: Let The Claws Do The Talking - Rate & Review "The Wolverine"

Yup. The writers knew how to interject memorable moments of levity. Something too many writers replace with outright humor which pulls you out of the scenes.

Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Old 07-30-2013, 12:55 AM   #627
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poni_Boy View Post
I don't think I'll ever understand how anyone could call this movie disjointed. Trance was disjointed. The Lone Ranger was disjointed. This movie had dedicated pacing for the first 90 minutes. Cause and effect throughout and no plot holes within the context of the story.
Never saw those and I can't imagine I ever will. I think we're dealing with a matter or perspective. I have little doubt that this movie is way better than Lone Ranger based on what I've heard about TLR but that in and of itself doesn't mean TW is good. It's just better than an even worse movie.

I'm not in the business of lowering my standards or grading on a curve.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:57 AM   #628
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
one thing i also loved was that in all of the dark gritty serious tone it still had tons of cute comedic moments

-logan being bathed and shaved by the Japanese women
- his interaction with yukio
- love hotel scene - mission to mars!!
- you got 10 words
etc.
Those were all fine and among the things happening that I said were entertaining.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:57 AM   #629
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
That was hot! and we saw his butt crack!

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
Old 07-30-2013, 12:58 AM   #630
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
one thing i also loved was that in all of the dark gritty serious tone it still had tons of cute comedic moments

- his interaction with yukio
- love hotel scene - mission to mars!!
- you got 10 words
etc.
I thought "Well, I felt violated!" was one of the funniest lines in the movie. He looked like he was going to murder someone when he got out of there.

I also liked the vet backing off when Logan tried to shake his hand. "You may have cut him once or twice..."

Yukio giving a bored-sounding, "He's all right," when they were watching Shingen fight with the wooden swords got a big laugh at my show too.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:59 AM   #631
Loki882
Side-Kick

Lowering your standards, I did not know that you were such a expert.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:00 AM   #632
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
Never saw those and I can't imagine I ever will. I think we're dealing with a matter or perspective. I have little doubt that this movie is way better than Lone Ranger based on what I've heard about TLR but that in and of itself doesn't mean TW is good. It's just better than an even worse movie.

Of course it's a matter of perspective but why don't you name what exactly you found disjointed about this to try and help people understand? Because just saying that over and over makes you seem off center. What scenes were out of place? Where did the writers fail?

As far as lowing standards go, I don't personally know many people who do. But if you go into Transformers demanding Schindler's List you ain't gonna get it no mater who is writing or directing. At the end of the day this is a movie about a mutant in the near future who has metal claws coming out of his hands. If you don't embrace the genre it will disappoint you. Has nothing to do with lowing standards, because even old school critics appreciate genre movies based on entertainment value and good technical execution.

Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Old 07-30-2013, 01:01 AM   #633
Loki882
Side-Kick

I've seen plenty of films in every genre imaginable and I've seen disjointed film. This was in no way a disjointed film. The narrative flowed very smoothly and there was character development that made sense.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:03 AM   #634
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post

That is coming from the person who said The Dark Knight movie was bad and Captain America: The First Avenger is one of the best Marvel films to date.

Yeah I'm not taking your word as truth.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:04 AM   #635
Loki882
Side-Kick

Captain America was quite enjoyable. TDK is fantastic, enough said about that.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:06 AM   #636
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
That is coming from the person who said The Dark Knight movie was bad and Captain America: The First Avenger is one of the best Marvel films to date.

Yeah I'm not taking your word as truth.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. There's no need for comments like this, regardless of how much you may disagree.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:07 AM   #637
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
Captain America was quite enjoyable.
But not one of the best. It had a boring villain, predictable story, bland lead actor and the emotional scenes that were supposed to be emotional weren't emotional at all, remember the aftermath of Bucky's death?

Old 07-30-2013, 01:08 AM   #638
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Captain America was great IMO outside the montage battle, a phoned-in performance from Weaving and a very, very rushed way to get Cap in the ice. Lots of great moments, some just ok. That makes it pretty damn good to me. Not to mention the last line "I had a date" Ugh, heartbreak.

The Dark Knight on the other hand seems to get slightly worse with each viewing.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:13 AM   #639
Loki882
Side-Kick

Chris Evans was great. Peggy was one of the best female CB movie characters ever. Bucky was good. I actually thought that Weaving was really good, the movie just didn't give him enough to do. Zola and Tommy Lee Jones were fun. The action was really good for the most part and I liked the tragic ending. It had flaws, but I would probably rank it third or fourth in the MCU films. TDK holds up brilliantly. I've seen it dozens of times and enjoy it as much now as when I first saw it.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:15 AM   #640
Project862006
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
I thought "Well, I felt violated!" was one of the funniest lines in the movie. He looked like he was going to murder someone when he got out of there.

I also liked the vet backing off when Logan tried to shake his hand. "You may have cut him once or twice..."

Yukio giving a bored-sounding, "He's all right," when they were watching Shingen fight with the wooden swords got a big laugh at my show too.
forgot about that one thats another good one

also liked

Logan:where's the good part of town?
Mariko:8 blocks down
Logan:were staying here

Old 07-30-2013, 01:15 AM   #641
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Don't get me wrong I still think TDK is a great movie, but its flaws are much more apparent the more I see it. Pacing, plot holes, etc. They become quite glaring to the point I fast forward through almost everything Joker isn't in. That's how I feel about all the X-Men movies too aside from First Class. I'm anxious to see how TW does after I've got it on Blu for a few months.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:26 AM   #642
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poni_Boy View Post
Of course it's a matter of perspective but why don't you name what exactly you found disjointed about this to try and help people understand? Because just saying that over and over makes you seem off center. What scenes were out of place? Where did the writers fail?
Ok, we start with a flashback wrapped inside a dream. I really don't like that. There was a better way to handle that. It's like a delay then another delay before the actual film starts going. In fact I'd say that everything before they go to Japan feels like filler. Not the best way to start your film. Then we get a lot of convoluted plot stuff about intrigue within the company and stuff with the Yakuza and the granddaughter and her father and the minister of whatever. I never could quite make out why they were trying to kill her or IF they were trying to kill her or just kidnap her or whatever. But Logan knows he must save her because...y'know...reasons. They toss this Jean/Logan spiel in there that never made sense to me. Since when are Logan and Jean soul mates or whatever they were trying to show? Never got that from the previous movies. All I got there was that Logan was lusting after Jean because that's what he does with pretty women and he wanted to stick it to Scott whom he didn't like.

Anyway, Logan and Mariko are on the run and some fun sequences ensue. They get it on and then she gets kidnapped once again and now he has to track her down and take out anyone in his path along the way. Yes, we have the subplot of his powers not working right but it never seemed like it was that much of a hindrance to his mission. More of an inconvenience that anything else. And they eventually get to the end and it all becomes a cartoon. That about sums it up.

Quote:
As far as lowing standards go, I don't personally know many people who do. But if you go into Transformers demanding Schindler's List you ain't gonna get it no mater who is writing or directing. At the end of the day this is a movie about a mutant in the near future who has metal claws coming out of his hands. If you don't embrace the genre it will disappoint you. Has nothing to do with lowing standards, because even old school critics appreciate genre movies based on entertainment value and good technical execution.
When I talk about standards I'm talking about other films in the same genre. Both IM3 and MoS(neither of which am I in love with) explained themselves better than this movie does. I wasn't lost during them. I was here. I don't usually watch films like Schindler's List. I tend to watch nothing BUT genre movies. And there are standards even in that field. This is a much better film than the last one however considering the last one was one of the worst CBM's ever made that doesn't mean this passes muster just because it's better.

Last edited by kedrell; 07-30-2013 at 01:31 AM.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:48 AM   #643
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Yakuza were Shingen's thugs. It was in his best interest she died. Yashida on the other hand needed her alive if possible because he'd faked his own death and needed her as a puppet.

The flashback within a dream was a good way of opening with why Wolverine has ties to Japan as well as quickly showing how far he'd fallen since X3. The Canada sequence as a whole was meant to be more subdued because it was more ponderous about Logan's current state of hopelessness.

As for Jean. She was a figment of Logan's imagination. He was hearing what he wanted to hear. That wasn't Jean saying those things and that isn't the Phoenix in the white room.

I'll be honest kedrell. While I do think some things could have done with a better explanation, a lot of what you mention was explained well enough within the movie.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:56 AM   #644
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Did Yashida actually care for Mariko or was she just a puppet to him? I believe its the former. However, his ultimate desire is to live and he would sacrifice anyone including her to achieve it.

Spill

Old 07-30-2013, 02:00 AM   #645
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Pretty much.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:01 AM   #646
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Either interpretation could be valid. Yashida wasn't exactly a fleshed out character to be honest. Another reason they should have just stuck to Shingen and Harada imo.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:04 AM   #647
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

I love Yashida. He'll go down as one of the most underrated villains. His motives are pretty archetypical and his overall life being thrown down the crapper for his obsession puts him up there with the best CBM villains, imo.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:16 AM   #648
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

I don't mind the archetypal villain either to be honest. Regardless of whether I think Shingen and Harada could have been stronger and more multi-layered villains. It's just that Yashida is a bit of a disconnect for me because despite a very obvious signpost of the reveal early on by Yukio, it still comes as a bit of a disconnect as there's little that informs us his character isn't what it appears to be when he begs Logan to share his healing ability with himself.

If we had been informed through characters like Mariko, Shingen and maybe Harada that Yashida wasn't all he seemed to be then I'd be a lot more happier with the third act. I'm fine enough with the CGI Silver Samurai being a bit wonky at times, it's the guy inside not being developed well enough that nags at me.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:18 AM   #649
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

I had all the development I needed. He was the epitome of a character that let his legacy make his development for him.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:29 AM   #650
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

To me the desperation to cheat death was lost under his act of being a loving grandfather and offering Logan a way to live a normal life. With so much film between that and the reveal it felt kinda hollow to have him pop up again and about face with no real foreshadowing in terms of character.

Closed Thread