Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 12:25 AM   #701
jignat
Side-Kick

Default Re: Let The Claws Do The Talking - Rate & Review "The Wolverine"

I just saw it today.

Pros:
Yukio and her sword skillz
Hugh being slightly more badass this go around.
The quiet character scenes with Mariko
Jean Grey scenes
Casting mostly jpn actor for jpn roles (small thing but after recent whitewashing of roles im appreciative)
Story was decent till the end
Train action sequence
Post credits scene

Cons
Poison Ivy err Viper. I didnt know Reptile got a sex change :lol:- She was so campy and took me out of the movie. which leads to the next point....
Shingen being marginalized in the movie and too quick fight with Logan
The "twist " with SS at the end was retarded. What is it with Asian comic villains and giant stupid twists, Mandarin, SS, and soon Shredder ugh..
Hugh not speaking Japanese and being knowledgeable about culture.

Id still give it 7.5 .

X-film rankings

X2
First Class
X1
The Wolverine

Dog Poop
X3
Xrigins Wolverine

Old 07-31-2013, 12:26 AM   #702
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Hugh said Sayanora.

"I wanna be able to touch people, Logan. A hug, a handshake, a kiss." - X3
*smiles* *walks away* - X4
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
Old 07-31-2013, 02:48 AM   #703
Human Torch
OK,who brought the dog?

Just saw it.Tough film to really get a firm handle on.I'm vacillating between a 7 or 9,so I'll settle on an 8.It's the kinda film that will probably get better with another viewing.

Jackman was awesome as always.I generally enjoyed all the actors.Story was interesting and kept me guessing for the most part.The action was great,but almost too fast.I found myself literally trying not to blink for fear I'd miss something!
I'll deal the rest in spoilers:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
I enjoyed Viper,but I didn't get the whole skin shedding business.We didn't really get to know nearly enough about her.

Some of it was kinda slow in the middle.Not really a serious complaint,though.Cool seeing Logan dealing without his powers.I was afraid they were going to make him want to give them up,but they kept him true to the character.

The humor was pretty funny,proving you can have a deep and moving story without losing all humor and becoming bleak.(I'm looking at you MOS.)

I hope they don't stick to the bone claws in DOFP.

I don't quite get how Logan can remember Nagasaki when in every movie they make a point of telling how he can't remember past the Weapon X deal.

The Jean stuff worked better than I expected,actually.

My favorite part was Logan trying to do his "self surgery" while Yukio was trying to protect him from Shingen.I mean,we all pretty much knew Logan isn't gonna die,but the urgency of the scene really got to me and I was absolutely riveted.One of my favorite scenes this year.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:06 AM   #704
craigdbfan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Watched the movie yesterday and found it to be both a tragic and somewhat uplifting story about Logan.

Made me even appreciate Origins a bit more (surprised I'm even saying this). After four movies of the poor guy going through the ringer this one does an incredible job to really humanize him in an incredibly solemn way. This was also among one of Hugh's strongest performance as the character (although he always does a good job in my view) but in terms of his voice and behavior he was tonally perfect. I feel with age he just gets better and better at it.

I know everyone is ragging on Viper but I personally enjoyed her presence through and through. Wish we would have received a bit more development in terms of motivation but it made sense to a degree towards the end with the "reveal" I suppose.

Not going to give it an official rating until I rewatch it again tomorrow. It was sort of an odd movie to be frank (in a good way). It almost feels like a big giant therapy session to prepare Logan for DOFP and I actually really like that. It's weird, introspective, and ominously foreshadowing the emotional roller coaster Logan will have to go through at the end there was brilliant and I love it.

The stories of the fragmented ronin continues next year and I honestly can't wait. I know often time he is criticized for the amount of attention he gets in the films (I completely understand thus why First Class was refreshing but even then I won't lie and say that I don't start to miss the old guy. His cameo in that movie got a huge reaction for a reason) but he's also an integral part of the X-Men franchise and having him be our guide is something I more often than not find entertaining and exhilarating to watch both on an emotional and psychological level.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
Old 07-31-2013, 06:53 AM   #705
Repulsor Blast
Walloping Websnappers

i liked it quite a bit. i thought the violence was a tad lacking in impact though, and look forward to the unrated cut, which i don't think has been 100% confirmed?

it's night and day compared to origins, and is miles ahead of man of steel as a film.

i guessed the twist right away, found yukio to be tremendously endearing, and was surprised by the use of the F word lol.

all in all a very solid film. not sure how to rate it to be honest. maybe an 8, if not slightly lower, out of 10.

www.redlettermedia.com
Old 07-31-2013, 07:11 AM   #706
BlackFox
Almost ninja

Is anyone else a tad concerned that Logan will go back to being a bit on the softer side once he goes back to DoFP.

Now they have actually got the character right onscreen its going to be a bit of a shame if he gets neutered again in his next outing, but I just don't see him dropping the F bomb in DoFP or especially if we do get the R uncut version as well, I'm sure he wont go back to the Origins wolverine (god I hope not anyway) but the tone of that movie will surely be less brutal than this one.

Anybody else fear this or how do you think Singer will handle it?

(X-Men-Apocalypse:Brace yourselves, WAR is coming)
Old 07-31-2013, 07:15 AM   #707
Paladin-Hoss
Side-Kick

Well, i think they're going to go with the tone established by first class and now the Wolverine.They'd be extremely dumb to suddenly go the opposite direction

Old 07-31-2013, 07:16 AM   #708
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Well, he IS more at peace with himself now.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:18 AM   #709
BlackFox
Almost ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin-Hoss View Post
Well, i think they're going to go with the tone established by first class and now the Wolverine.They'd be extremely dumb to suddenly go the opposite direction
True I suppose in FC he only had three words and one of them was still strong cursing.

I guess in DoFP he will mostly be fighting robots rather than humans most likey so blood will not really be an issue, he can rip arms, legs and heads of a Sentinal and not have to worrya bout a rating.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:25 AM   #710
Paladin-Hoss
Side-Kick

Yeah, don't worry. I don't 6think he will be neutered.He was toned down in the X movies not directed by Singer, Wolvie in the X 2 was also pretty brutal.

The X franchise will never go beyong PG 13 though. That said, it'll always be a tad more mature than the Disney/Marvel movies.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:25 AM   #711
Great Mind(s)
Broken

To be fair I was a little concerned about that too. I hope his characterization in DOFP is consistent with this. But I bet it is. I bet Hugh will play him as rough and angry. He better. I think they want to establish a good continuity.

But yeah I am a tad concerned too.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:27 AM   #712
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

X2 Wolvie was a proper animal for the most part. X3 tamed the s**t out of him. There are only about 2 frames where he didn't cry.

Last edited by Gianakin_; 07-31-2013 at 07:36 AM.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:32 AM   #713
Paladin-Hoss
Side-Kick

LOL thank god it wasn't as bad as Peter cryin'in Spidey 3...

Old 07-31-2013, 07:33 AM   #714
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

It's sad how they had him in Origins most of all. That was where he should have been seen in his most animalistic nature and in X2 they hinted at that with the flashback scenes to his weapon X procedure.

It was ridiculously tame what we got though. It's too bad we likely won't see (at least not with hugh) a much better done look at his weapon X transformation?

Old 07-31-2013, 07:36 AM   #715
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin-Hoss View Post
LOL thank god it wasn't as bad as Peter cryin'in Spidey 3...
Pete's antics in SM3 were far more entertaining than what poor Hugh got in X3, imo.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:41 AM   #716
BlackFox
Almost ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
It's sad how they had him in Origins most of all. That was where he should have been seen in his most animalistic nature and in X2 they hinted at that with the flashback scenes to his weapon X procedure.

It was ridiculously tame what we got though. It's too bad we likely won't see (at least not with hugh) a much better done look at his weapon X transformation?
Yeah I watched Origins again after this to compare and its like Hugh is playing a different character completely. A lumberjack who goes around being nice to people in plaid shirts and soft wavy hair. He was the least scary person in the film, that's just not right, thankfully The Wolverine at least corrected that and got the character back from the lost path he was on. Sometimes funny how art imitates life.

At least in X3 he kicked somebody in the balls

Old 07-31-2013, 07:44 AM   #717
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFox View Post
A lumberjack who goes around being nice to people in plaid shirts and soft wavy hair.
See, this movie was tailor-made for Jackie Chan.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:12 AM   #718
Loki882
Side-Kick

Wolverine being less violent and animalistic in the main X-Men films (he's was fine in X1/X2, see him killing soldiers during the mansion assault). The problem was that in a Wolverine solo film, he should be more brutal and gritty.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:13 AM   #719
Loki882
Side-Kick

I meant to say that him being less violent in main X-films is fine. They are meant for a bigger audience.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:19 AM   #720
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Hugh did an interview about DOFP recently where he mentioned that Wolverine has been enjoying being back in the 1970s because they were more his era, between the older cars and being able to smoke his cigar wherever he wants, so It sounds like he's going have some fun in this movie.

I'm seeing the movie again tomorrow.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:03 PM   #721
BlackFox
Almost ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post

I'm seeing the movie again tomorrow.
Why, Hugh's not going to be there waiting for you every time

Old 07-31-2013, 01:05 PM   #722
BlackFox
Almost ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
I meant to say that him being less violent in main X-films is fine. They are meant for a bigger audience.
This is true, plus there will be a lot less of him anyway with such a big cast. As long as he like he was in X2 I will be happy enough I guess.

Guess I will just have to hope for a sequel to the Wolverine or an XForce film with him in.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:12 PM   #723
craigdbfan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFox View Post
This is true, plus there will be a lot less of him anyway with such a big cast. As long as he like he was in X2 I will be happy enough I guess.

Guess I will just have to hope for a sequel to the Wolverine or an XForce film with him in.
I wouldn't be so sure about that.

Based on the stuff that has gotten out from DOFP (both pictures and info) I really doubt he'll be watered down. If anything he'll be far more agitated in DOFP when you take the situation at hand under consideration.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
Old 07-31-2013, 01:15 PM   #724
BlackFox
Almost ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
I wouldn't be so sure about that.

Based on the stuff that has gotten out from DOFP (both pictures and info) I really doubt he'll be watered down. If anything he'll be far more agitated in DOFP when you take the situation at hand under consideration.
But he will get less screen time I would have thought, as some people have already complained he gets too much attention as it is with two of his own films and such.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:20 PM   #725
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
Wolverine being less violent and animalistic in the main X-Men films (he's was fine in X1/X2, see him killing soldiers during the mansion assault). The problem was that in a Wolverine solo film, he should be more brutal and gritty.
Not only that, but in Origins, he should have been ESPECIALLY bad. They were covering the time frame when Logan was not a nice person. That's the interesting aspect about Wolverine. While I do believe he is a good person at heart, he's had, quite frankly, a horrible life. So for a time, he did some very, very bad things, and he enjoyed doing it.

That was the Wolverine we needed to see if you're going to do the Weapn X days Logan, and instead we got the most watered down version of Wolverine to boot.

my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:

http://vimeo.com/41530049
Closed Thread