Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 03:27 AM   #851
BlackFox
Red 5 standing by

Default Re: Let The Claws Do The Talking - Rate & Review "The Wolverine"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
So audiences come to a movie, with ACTORS in it, and don't want to see them act, ok. If that is true, then Megan Fox is the biggest movie star on the planet, right, I thought not. Also, wasn't one of the biggest complaints about X2/Origins that there were TOO MANY Mutants who served no real purpose? Grace's complaint makes NO SENSE.
Just shows she has no clue or connection to what fans want.

(X-Men-Apocalypse:Brace yourselves, WAR is coming)
Old 08-03-2013, 06:37 AM   #852
righthooksrus86
Side-Kick

Oh well who cares what she has to say...fact is a good number of people disagree with her...just look at Rotten Tomatoes Wolverine is up to 68%

Old 08-03-2013, 07:20 AM   #853
BlackFox
Red 5 standing by

Quote:
Originally Posted by righthooksrus86 View Post
Oh well who cares what she has to say...fact is a good number of people disagree with her...just look at Rotten Tomatoes Wolverine is up to 68%
Exactly, pretty redundant reviews now we have all seen the film.

Good to see the user rate is at 75%, up there with Thor, Cap, Ironman, MoS and Spiderman, in good company and finally a Wolvie film thats not an embarrassment.

Be nice if the critical one finished above 70% but that doesnt seem likely and to be honest its academic now.

Old 08-03-2013, 02:23 PM   #854
Snikt
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFox View Post
Exactly, pretty redundant reviews now we have all seen the film.

Good to see the user rate is at 75%, up there with Thor, Cap, Ironman, MoS and Spiderman, in good company and finally a Wolvie film thats not an embarrassment.

Be nice if the critical one finished above 70% but that doesnt seem likely and to be honest its academic now.
It won't finish in the 70s as you said, but it' clear now the movie has been positively received by both fans and critics...that's what matters to me. And I've seen the movie four times now. Gets better each time.

It's surprised me how much I actually like all the non-action scenes. I love everything from the start of the film through Wolvie and Mariko arriving at her countryside house.

I still feel it's a bit of a long stretch between them arriving and Markio getting taken hostage. But even then I love his flashback to the well in Nagasaki and Yashida wanting to give him the sword.

Old 08-03-2013, 03:08 PM   #855
BlackFox
Red 5 standing by

Yes, I had the same feeling which is good, sign of a decent film if it can stand up to repeat viewings in my book.

Yeah that scene and the one he has a nightmare about the SS are great ones in the middle section of the film.

Old 08-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #856
Blake II
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
did anyone watch beyond the trailer's face palm worthy review lol i kid you not grace randolph said this

"i think hugh jackman thought audiences came to the wolverine to see him act"

i review was'nt as scathing as mos and she did give it a 7 but it seems like she was giving it negative points for character development,not enough mutants,not enough action and sfx
Most of her review was spot on. Not enough mutants and not enough action for a superhero film. There were also no "wow" moments, except maybe the claws but even that was kind of "...okay..." worthy.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:10 PM   #857
BlackFox
Red 5 standing by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake II View Post
Most of her review was spot on. Not enough mutants and not enough action for a superhero film. There were also no "wow" moments, except maybe the claws but even that was kind of "...okay..." worthy.
Shame she lost any credibility with her "audience not wanting to see an actor act in a superhero film".

And I think the next xmen film may be better suited to you if your looking for lots of mutants in a film

Old 08-03-2013, 07:37 PM   #858
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

I haven't seen this review, because I have no idea who this person is, so I don't particularly care what she thinks. After hearing some of her comments shared here, I care even less what she thinks, because she sounds like a moron.

Complaining about the acting is one thing. Complaining that there was acting in a film makes you stupid. I don't care what kind of movie it is, the performances should be able to tell the audience the story.

If you're complaining that there weren't a boatload of mutants in the movie, then I suggest you check the title again. Sounds like you missed it.

And if you're upset that the movie didn't have enough 'splosions...

This is certainly not a movie that's above criticism, as other reviews and discussions here have pointed out. And people are certainly entitled to their opinions about it.

But this review sounds dumb.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:14 PM   #859
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Just saw it for the second time. Even better!

Almost all my niggles from the first viewing seemed to fade away.

But i did think the Shingen vs Yukio/Wolverine fights were very fast... faster than I recalled from the first viewing. It might have been nice to see some slower moments to take in the clash of weapons and nifty moves...

Old 08-03-2013, 11:45 PM   #860
Loki882
Side-Kick

This movie wasn't really a superhero movie in the traditional sense. It was a character piece about Wolverine and his struggles and journey towards redemption. The first Iron Man movie didn't have all that much action (the cave scene, plane scene, and final fight were pretty much it as far as big action goes), but it was fantastic because it really explored the character of Tony Stark and his journey (the acting was superb as well, which helped). TW is the same way.

Old 08-04-2013, 02:45 AM   #861
BlackFox
Red 5 standing by

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
Just saw it for the second time. Even better!

Almost all my niggles from the first viewing seemed to fade away.

But i did think the Shingen vs Yukio/Wolverine fights were very fast... faster than I recalled from the first viewing. It might have been nice to see some slower moments to take in the clash of weapons and nifty moves...
Yeah it certainly got better on a second viewing, many moments to pick up that were missed on the first.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:07 AM   #862
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

The other great thing about the movie is that now I know how to pronounce Mariko and Yashida correctly. I've been saying it wrong for years by putting the emphasis on the second syllable instead of the first!

Old 08-04-2013, 08:19 AM   #863
henzINNIT
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
It won't finish in the 70s as you said, but it' clear now the movie has been positively received by both fans and critics...that's what matters to me. And I've seen the movie four times now. Gets better each time.

It's surprised me how much I actually like all the non-action scenes. I love everything from the start of the film through Wolvie and Mariko arriving at her countryside house.

I still feel it's a bit of a long stretch between them arriving and Markio getting taken hostage. But even then I love his flashback to the well in Nagasaki and Yashida wanting to give him the sword.
I agree. I've seen it 3 times now and find myself loving the intimacy in the film. I'm enjoying the middle section more and more. I'm naturally inclined to "edit" while I'm watching, but I've found all those scenes between Mariko and Logan are great and necessary.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:24 AM   #864
BlackFox
Red 5 standing by

Quote:
Originally Posted by henzINNIT View Post
I agree. I've seen it 3 times now and find myself loving the intimacy in the film. I'm enjoying the middle section more and more. I'm naturally inclined to "edit" while I'm watching, but I've found all those scenes between Mariko and Logan are great and necessary.
Agreed, there not just thrown in to pad out the story or fill time between action scenes, they actually build the relationship between them, as opposed to Origins rushed method with Silverfox of Meet--Dead.

Old 08-04-2013, 05:11 PM   #865
henzINNIT
Side-Kick

Quote:
Agreed, there not just thrown in to pad out the story or fill time between action scenes, they actually build the relationship between them, as opposed to Origins rushed method with Silverfox of Meet--Dead.
The relationship between Logan and Mariko builds beautifully. They really get to know eachother (while we do too), and actually talk about actual things. A lot of romance plots in this kind of film get into that melodramatic "lets talk about our feelings" place, but we are thankfully spared all of this. They learn about eachothers' lives and culture and form a bond that I found interesting and genuine.

Doesn't hurt that Tao is just so damn pretty that I fell in love with her too of course.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:58 AM   #866
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Finally saw this tonight, I really enjoyed it, but not as as I had hoped. I did love the focus on character, especially that of Wolverine himself, this is what made the movie so enjoyable.

But I didnt like the 3rd very much at all, the final action was dissapointing in itself, but the way the plot moved forward at this point also was. I guessed that Yashida was going to come back and he wasnt really dead, but I didnt like how he basically became a mad man at the end, he even had the evil cackle, it just didnt fit with the rest of the movie for me.

I heard a lot of complaints about Viper and didnt find her that bad, but Shingen, Yukio, Mariko and of course Logan steal the show in this, they are all played brilliantly, and Shingen vs Wolverine was easily the best action scene in the movie so much emotion came out during that.

I did like the action scene's in general, with the exception of the 3rd act, and the final credits teaser, that was a big wow moment. Overall though it was good, much better than Origins and X3, but at the moment the 4th best movie in the series for me. I will be seeing the movie again though as as soon as the movie finished I felt it would improve on further viewings, but for now, 8/10.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 08-05-2013, 12:23 PM   #867
Loki882
Side-Kick

The best action scene imo was the Bullet train. The scene with the Minster of Justice was hysterical.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:34 PM   #868
BlackFox
Red 5 standing by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
The best action scene imo was the Bullet train. The scene with the Minster of Justice was hysterical.
I still have to go with Shingen fight for the best one. But the bullet was best improved since the trailers.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:54 PM   #869
Snikt
Side-Kick

Quote:
I still have to go with Shingen fight for the best one. But the bullet was best improved since the trailers.
Shingen fight all the way. I enjoyed the bullet train sequence. But I'm a sucker for sword fights (Blade) and it was cool seeing Wolvie with claws go against a samurai

Old 08-05-2013, 02:57 PM   #870
BlackFox
Red 5 standing by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
Shingen fight all the way. I enjoyed the bullet train sequence. But I'm a sucker for sword fights (Blade) and it was cool seeing Wolvie with claws go against a samurai
Talking of which:

Old 08-05-2013, 03:03 PM   #871
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Hugh looks like Squidward there.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:08 PM   #872
BlackFox
Red 5 standing by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
Haha, had to look it up but

Old 08-05-2013, 03:09 PM   #873
MagnarTheGreat
Side-Kick

Grumpy cat face again.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:12 PM   #874
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
He just needs a clarinet now.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:25 PM   #875
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Talking of which:
I gotta say, they have released TWENTY posters, ATLEAST TWENTY from this particular scene in the movie. Every other day The Wolverine twitter post a new poster from that scene, and I think the scene takes up like barely a minute.

Its seems like the marketing thinks that this is THE scene in the film.

Closed Thread