Old 07-26-2013, 12:27 PM   #126
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

Default Re: Let The Claws Do The Talking - Rate & Review "The Wolverine"

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
But,

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
They were only just finding out that Mariko had inherited the company, we saw her being told that night...which would lead us to believe that Shingen had just learned this as well, otherwise the hit on Mariko would have happened sooner. I think Shingen assumed he would inherit the company and that he would be able to further his own politcal ambitions to with the arranged marriage he'd planned for Mariko.

Yashida had simply assumed Logan would want to die. He'd been following him for at least a year, saw him suffering, and was obsessed enough to honestly believe that giving Logan the opportunity to end his own life was repayment for saving him.

Faking his death was really the Plan B...and it was less of a planned fakeout than it was a need to get him somewhere that would keep him alive longer. They had to do it, it's not necessarily what they wanted to do.

It was a huge family power squabble that had clearly gone on for years, as long as Yashida had been obsessed, and how deeply rooted Shingen's hated of mutants was. When Shingen was fighing Wolverine, he was yelling how "their kind" had brought ruin to his family.

I'm still in shock that I got to meet him. I got picked to go up on stage and ask him a question before the movie. It was crazy!!!!!
See, that's where I didn't get it. I understood that Yashida had to get into the armor to survive, but I didn't understand why he had to fake his death to do it. Had they set up that Shingin was finally fed up with his father's desire to prolong his life and was going to somehow pull the plug on it, I would have understood it.

This wasn't the case though, not only was Shingin presented as having no real way to stop his father from doing what he wanted, Shingin was actually protecting his father's interests! (For selfish reasons) but he was. Shigin was hiding his Father's obsessions with prolonging his life because he thought he would inherit the company...so I saw no reason why he had to fake his death to get into the armor. Heck, I'm sure he could have lied to his family and said he was being moved to an alternate care facility, and then not allowed them in if he didn't want them to see the armor.

And I thought the faking his death/Mariko being the inheritor was a plan B too...until I thought about how it occurred. He tells Mariko she'll get the company BEFORE he talks to Logan. And at the end of his talk to Logan he event tells him that people will try to kill Mariko...insinuating that he knew she would have attempts on her life....and since the only reason those attempts happened were because he named her the inheritor....well I just didn't see his reasoning behind it. I guess maybe he was doing it as a security blanket as another reason to try and keep Logan there if the first offer failed...appeal to his heroic side, but that seems a bit of stretch since he had no way of knowing if Logan would give a damn. Secondly, putting Logan in the middle of all those assassination attempts seemed pretty foolish, since he seemed to need Logan alive to extract his healing ability from him. And after his healing ability was suppressed, there was a very real chance Logan could have been killed.

And again, I saw no reason for him to fake his death and name Mariko the inheritor to begin with. If it was implied that Shingin was going to seize control, then I would understand it. Naming Mariko and "dying" inheritor preoccupies Shingin for a while, and he could go on with his plans. But since Shingin was actually PROTECTING his plans to prolong life...it didn't make one lick of sense.

And I still don't buy that this uber powerful Japanese man, who obviously had an insane amount of resources, and who, the entire time, only wanted to capture Wolverine, didn't have a crap ton of soldiers at his house to jump Wolverine in his sleep right after he had been dosed. Time was paramount to this guy, so it just didn't ring true that he didn't do that.

Again, any way you shake it, faking his death only caused Yashida more trouble, and didn't actually give him any benefit.

That is AWESOME! What did you ask him?

And also, despite my fairly large issue with the plot, I did still enjoy this movie quite a bit. It's the closest in character to comic Wolverine we've gotten, and despite the story flaws, the acting and the action made it a very enjoyable film. Though I do wish they had stayed a bit closer to the original mini. I very much wanted Shingin to be the main antagonist, and not only hurt Logan psychically, but emotionally and mentally as well, as he does in the original story. I think this film would have greatly benefited from adopting that take.

my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:

http://vimeo.com/41530049

Last edited by Infinity9999x; 07-26-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:33 PM   #127
Superhero 101
DESI

8.5/10 for me

Old 07-26-2013, 12:50 PM   #128
BlackFox
Almost ninja

I have started writing my review but I dont even know where to start, theres just so much to go through, haha

(X-Men-Apocalypse:Brace yourselves, WAR is coming)
Old 07-26-2013, 12:52 PM   #129
Golgo-13
Cadburys Creme Eggs

Seeing Wolverine burnt to a crisp after the bomb was

Glad this movie had a good amount of vice and profanity...as a Wolverine movie should have!

I don't recall them addressing the adamantium poisoning that would surely occur when his abilities get surpressed.....

Old 07-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #130
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity9999x View Post
See, that's where I didn't get it. I understood that Yashida had to get into the armor to survive, but I didn't understand why he had to fake his death to do it. Had they set up that Shingin was finally fed up with his father's desire to prolong his life and was going to somehow pull the plug on it, I would have understood it.

This wasn't the case though, not only was Shingin presented as having no real way to stop his father from doing what he wanted, Shingin was actually protecting his father's interests! (For selfish reasons) but he was. Shigin was hiding his Father's obsessions with prolonging his life because he thought he would inherit the company...so I saw no reason why he had to fake his death to get into the armor. Heck, I'm sure he could have lied to his family and said he was being moved to an alternate care facility, and then not allowed them in if he didn't want them to see the armor.

And I thought the faking his death/Mariko being the inheritor was a plan B too...until I thought about how it occurred. He tells Mariko she'll get the company BEFORE he talks to Logan. And at the end of his talk to Logan he event tells him that people will try to kill Mariko...insinuating that he knew she would have attempts on her life....and since the only reason those attempts happened were because he named her the inheritor....well I just didn't see his reasoning behind it. I guess maybe he was doing it as a security blanket as another reason to try and keep Logan there if the first offer failed...appeal to his heroic side, but that seems a bit of stretch since he had no way of knowing if Logan would give a damn. Secondly, putting Logan in the middle of all those assassination attempts seemed pretty foolish, since he seemed to need Logan alive to extract his healing ability from him.

And again, I saw no reason for him to fake his death and name Mariko the inheritor to begin with. If it was implied that Shingin was going to seize control, then I would understand it. Naming Mariko and "dying" inheritor preoccupies Shingin for a while, and he could go on with his plans. But since Shingin was actually PROTECTING his plans to prolong life...it didn't make one lick of sense.

And I still don't buy that this uber powerful Japanese man, who obviously had an insane amount of resources, and who, the entire time, only wanted to capture Wolverine, didn't have a crap ton of soldiers at his house to jump Wolverine in his sleep right after he had been dosed. Time was paramount to this guy, so it just didn't ring true that he didn't do that.

Again, any way you shake it, faking his death only caused Yashida more trouble, and didn't actually give him any benefit.
The way I saw it, Yashida was extremely flawed already. His obsession had cost him his company, and ultimately his family as well, since he even loses Mariko by the end. His plan was a bad plan. The fact that he assumed Logan wanted to just give up his healing factor and be allowed to die indicated that he didn't understand a thing about who Logan was or what he had.

And he'd surrounded himself with characters like Viper, along with Harada and his crew, which gave Shingen no way to get at him. That whole situation was already out of Shingen's control, and it only made him resent his father more than he already had.

I think the idea was that Mariko was in danger as long as the company would be going to her, so Yashida would let himself 'die', but then use the armor to protect her once he did, without anyone knowing (including Shingen) that he was actually still alive. No one would be able to get at her then. Publicly, he needed to be dead for Mariko to take over the company, which is why they did it.

At least that's my take on it...I have to see it again. It all make sense more the second time I saw it.

Quote:
That is AWESOME! What did you ask him?
It was so cool! It was me and two other guys, and they gave us the questions before he got there. Mine was "How is Logan different in this film than in the previous X-Men movies?"

Of course the mike didn't pick it up, so I had ask it again. There's a video of it here, I'm the one at the 1:40 mark.

Quote:
And also, despite my fairly large issue with the plot, I did still enjoy this movie quite a bit. It's the closest in character to comic Wolverine we've gotten, and despite the story flaws, the acting and the action made it a very enjoyable film. Though I do wish they had stayed a bit closer to the original mini. I very much wanted Shingin to be the main antagonist, and not only hurt Logan psychically, but emotionally and mentally as well, as he does in the original story. I think this film would have greatly benefited from adopting that take.
I can't believe how much more I liked it the second time....

Old 07-26-2013, 01:04 PM   #131
BlackFox
Almost ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golgo-13 View Post

Glad this movie had a good amount of vice and profanity...as a Wolverine movie should have!

I don't recall them addressing the adamantium poisoning that would surely occur when his abilities get surpressed.....
But he still has some healing factor, just weaker than before so he could resist the poisoning but not quite as well as before.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:04 PM   #132
JP
Smelly

Really solid film. I will happily see this one or two more times in the theater and own in on bluray.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:08 PM   #133
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golgo-13 View Post

I don't think they were completely surpressed. He still recovered quickly after being treated for all of those gunshot wounds faster than a normal person would have. But you could see how tired and not well he was, and I think that may have been as much the adamantium taking its toll as well as the injuries he had.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:21 PM   #134
BlackFox
Almost ninja

I cant believe nobody hasnt done an Origins V The Wolverine poll yet!!

Old 07-26-2013, 01:33 PM   #135
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
It's a means to an end for what they were trying to get from him. What you think would probably depend on how you take that whole third act, which is more action/CGI/CBM-like than the rest of the film. I didn't think it was as overdone as others think.

I actually thought it was worse when they were doing the thing they did after they 'change' his claws. That looked excruciating.
I've avoided most spoilers and even had the will power to not watch the leaked mid credit scene, but from the tidbits I have heard about the third act, I think I'll enjoy it quite a bit.

The day is dragging right now. That always happens when you're at work and there is a movie you really want to see.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:25 PM   #136
Golgo-13
Cadburys Creme Eggs

Anyone else surprised, pleasantly, at how much profanity is in this?

Old 07-26-2013, 02:26 PM   #137
TheWolverine
Newbie First Class

I just HOPE that all of these reviews and fuzz is not like what happened after XM: OW... or with all the comic book movies which arenīt really that great... Just because all the fanboys came nuts from the theater, rating 8.5/10 blah blah blah and then reality came along.

I do however, have better expectations than XMW due the 68% in RT.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:29 PM   #138
jacobed
Banned User

Xmen Origins also had the unfortunate task of going up against Star Trek the week after. It stood no chance

Old 07-26-2013, 02:30 PM   #139
def28
Side-Kick

So I take it alot of the snow fight was cut out. Don't remember seeing a few scenes that were in the trailer. I forget but did he even hit that generator thing?

Old 07-26-2013, 02:43 PM   #140
MagnarTheGreat
The Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
So I take it alot of the snow fight was cut out.
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
Don't remember seeing a few scenes that were in the trailer. I forget but did he even hit that generator thing?
Known to be cut

Explosion
Yukio participation
Wolverine with cigar

Old 07-26-2013, 02:45 PM   #141
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

Quote:
The way I saw it, Yashida was extremely flawed already. His obsession had cost him his company, and ultimately his family as well, since he even loses Mariko by the end. His plan was a bad plan. The fact that he assumed Logan wanted to just give up his healing factor and be allowed to die indicated that he didn't understand a thing about who Logan was or what he had.

And he'd surrounded himself with characters like Viper, along with Harada and his crew, which gave Shingen no way to get at him. That whole situation was already out of Shingen's control, and it only made him resent his father more than he already had.

I think the idea was that Mariko was in danger as long as the company would be going to her, so Yashida would let himself 'die', but then use the armor to protect her once he did, without anyone knowing (including Shingen) that he was actually still alive. No one would be able to get at her then. Publicly, he needed to be dead for Mariko to take over the company, which is why they did it.

At least that's my take on it...I have to see it again. It all make sense more the second time I saw it.

It was so cool! It was me and two other guys, and they gave us the questions before he got there. Mine was "How is Logan different in this film than in the previous X-Men movies?"

Of course the mike didn't pick it up, so I had ask it again. There's a video of it here, I'm the one at the 1:40 mark.

I can't believe how much more I liked it the second time....
The main problem is, it made no sense to name Mariko his heir to begin with. The only reason I could see him needing to fake his death and name Mariko the inheritor is if there were some threat to his power, if someone was in the position to strip him of control of his company. Then it would have made sense to fake his death, and name Mariko the heir to cause inter-family conflict which would effectively take any focus of Yashida himself and allow him to continue is quest for immortality for a little while longer.

But there was no threat. In fact, the character best suited to BE this threat was Shingin...but he was doing exactly the opposite. Shingin was actually helping his father stay in control by hiding that his father was spending tons of money trying to stay alive. The elder Yashida still had control of his company and all his assets.

Since there was no threat to his power, Yashida could have quite easily transferred himself to his life support armor and used his impressive resources to keep Logan from leaving Japan and capture him. Once he captures Logan and gets his healing ability, he's fine. There was never a reason for him to name an heir at all, since he was never planning to revoke power to begin with. And I don't see a reason why he would need to hide the fact that he was trying to gain immortality, since (unless I'm mistaken) the film never mentioned that the Japanese business world has a law against CEO's living too long.

All faking his death did was not only put Mariko in danger, but more importantly (to Yashida anyway) put Logan in danger, and lead to Logan going on the run which wasted valuable time.

There was no reason, character wise or story-wise, for Yashida to fake his death. All it did was needlessly complicate things. It's a pretty glaring, and obvious story flaw.

And that was seriously awesome. You must have been geeking out like no other.

here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:

Old 07-26-2013, 02:46 PM   #142
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolverine View Post
I just HOPE that all of these reviews and fuzz is not like what happened after XM: OW... or with all the comic book movies which arenīt really that great... Just because all the fanboys came nuts from the theater, rating 8.5/10 blah blah blah and then reality came along.

No. If anything, expectations are lowered from everyone because of Origins.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:46 PM   #143
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
Xmen Origins also had the unfortunate task of going up against Star Trek the week after. It stood no chance
This film is also just plain better then XO:W was. Don't get me wrong, it has some obvious story issues, but the story is still much better, and the acting and action are leaps and bounds above Origins.

here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:

Old 07-26-2013, 02:47 PM   #144
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnarTheGreat View Post
Yes.
Known to be cut

Explosion
Yukio participation
Wolverine with cigar
Gotcha. Thanks Magnar

Old 07-26-2013, 02:48 PM   #145
MagnarTheGreat
The Avatar

Quote:
The main problem is, it made no sense to name Mariko his heir to begin with. The only reason I could see him needing to fake his death and name Mariko the inheritor is if there were some threat to his power, if someone was in the position to strip him of control of his company. Then it would have made sense to fake his death, and name Mariko the heir to cause inter-family conflict which would effectively take any focus of Yashida himself and allow him to continue is quest for immortality for a little while longer.

But there was no threat. In fact, the character best suited to BE this threat was Shingin...but he was doing exactly the opposite. Shingin was actually helping his father stay in control by hiding that his father was spending tons of money trying to stay alive. The elder Yashida still had control of his company and all his assets.

Since there was no threat to his power, Yashida could have quite easily transferred himself to his life support armor and used his impressive resources to keep Logan from leaving Japan and capture him. Once he captures Logan and gets his healing ability, he's fine. There was never a reason for him to name an heir at all, since he was never planning to revoke power to begin with. And I don't see a reason why he would need to hide the fact that he was trying to gain immortality, since (unless I'm mistaken) the film never mentioned that the Japanese business world has a law against CEO's living too long.

All faking his death did was not only put Mariko in danger, but more importantly (to Yashida anyway) put Logan in danger, and lead to Logan going on the run which wasted valuable time.

There was no reason, character wise or story-wise, for Yashida to fake his death. All it did was needlessly complicate things. It's a pretty glaring, and obvious story flaw.

The old man was dying. He could survive in the armor but he couldn't run a company like that. He was forced to choose an heir. Viper says Mariko was chosen not because she was strong, but because she was weak.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:52 PM   #146
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnarTheGreat View Post
The old man was dying. He could survive in the armor but he couldn't run a company like that. He was forced to choose an heir. Viper says Mariko was chosen not because she was strong, but because she was weak.
Staying in the armor would have been no different then a CEO staying on life support....like he was when we saw him. Not to mention, he wasn't planning on staying in the armor long, since his whole plan was to capture Logan.

He could have easily moved himself to the armor, telling everyone he was going to higher care facilities. If he didn't want others to see the armor, he could have just barred them access, since he clearly still commanded immense manpower. From there, he could have carried out his attempt to capture Logan.

Faking his death didn't help him at all in that regard. It only complicated things, and nearly foiled his plan. Didn't make any sense.

here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:

Old 07-26-2013, 02:58 PM   #147
BlackFox
Almost ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolverine View Post

People came out and said Origins was great.

At the end of the day nobody can tell you whether you will like something or not, you just have to find out for yourself.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:59 PM   #148
MarvelU
Side-Kick

By the looks of it this movie seems better than origins. Seems like Fox is starting to get on the right track. First they give us a good X-men film in 2011 that gave new life to the X-Men franchise. Then this Wolverine seems to be a better stand alone Wolverine film than Origins. Fox also dropped the daredevil rights and hopefully stuff like Elektra is over at Marvel again as well. Now we are in for X-Men Days of Future past with the original director that started it all. Plus the new Fantastic Four reboot, and X-Force in development.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:00 PM   #149
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

Honestly, overall, I thought this movie was solid. If I had to compare it (quality-wise) I'd say it wasn't quite as good as Iron Man 1, but better than a film like Captain America.

It's attention to Wolverine's character and the in-depth examination of Wolverine as a whole raises the bar, and the acting and action are top notch. But the overall plot of the movie suffers from some major story issues that that holds the film from jumping up to another level.

here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:

Old 07-26-2013, 03:22 PM   #150
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:

It made perfect sense to name Mariko as his heir. His son hated him, and he knew he would destroy the work he'd done and worse (seeing his political ambitions and plans for Mariko's marriage), that Yashida had no intention of ever giving his control of his company to Shingen. He gave it to the person he believed was honorable and who would protect him and his legacy. He probably believed he was actually saving her from worse if the company had gone to Shingen.

The inter-family conflict had been going on for a long time, before Mariko was ever named the heir, and well before Logan ever entered the picture.

The faked death was likely more out of necessity than out of devious planning. Publicly, he had to be dead so it would be known that the company now belonged to Mariko. It put her in danger, but he had Harada protecting her at the funeral (which he did). It also put Logan out in the open, so that he could be captured. They had to change their plans when he refused Yashida's offer.

They could have taken Logan before the funeral that night too, but then Shingen would have been suspicious. He wasn't supposed to know what Yashida was planning to do, and if he'd seen Logan being smuggled out of the house at the same time his father had died, he would have known his father wasn't dead.

Quote:
Omg, it was crazy! They gave me the microphone and I started to ask the question from where I was, and they're all like, "Don't be shy, come up on the stage!" I have no idea how I made it up those stairs...

The movie theater was open to, so there were people there seeing other movies. Hugh and the radio station guy who was MC'ing were calling out to the people going up on the escalator and telling them to enjoy Turbo.