Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 03:28 PM   #151
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Default Re: Let The Claws Do The Talking - Rate & Review "The Wolverine"

I also noticed the second time...

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
...if you look at the keys hanging up behind the desk at the "love hotel", there's one that's a first aid symbol, one that's a pair of handcuffs, and the other that's a rocketship. ("The nurse's office, the dungeon, and the trip to Mars.")

I had seen the rocketship keychain the first time when they were going to the room, but I noticed the other two keychains the second time.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:58 PM   #152
GENERAL RAAM582
The Amazing Spider-Man

I really liked it, I think hearing all the complaints about the 3rd act helped me with it. It was not as bad as I thought it would be, but the film definitely stumbles in its 3rd act. Anyway, great film. I just read Claremont's Wolverine yesterday, so it was really cool seeing similarities. I saw something similar with Origins: Wolverine. Wolverine is chopping up the tree in the middle of the road and Mariko is with some kids; it's just like in Origins when Wolverine was a lumberjack and Kayla was a school teacher. Don't know if that was done on purpose, but one hell of a coincidence. Jackman once again mastered Wolverine, it was probably his best performance, which makes me even more excited for DoFP. Not to say he didn't have it down before, but now he's completely mastered the role IMO. I thought the fight scenes with the ninjas in the snow was too short, but I think that's the 10-12 minutes of cut footage may come from. I really hope we get that. Not to mention that post-credits scene was great. Overall, I'd say a 9/10, but my excitement might go down a bit and it will be an 8.5/10, but who knows. Definitely nothing lower than an 8.5 though.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:59 PM   #153
TWayneP
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
I also noticed the second time...

...if you look at the keys hanging up behind the desk at the "love hotel", there's one that's a first aid symbol, one that's a pair of handcuffs, and the other that's a rocketship. ("The nurse's office, the dungeon, and the trip to Mars.")

I had seen the rocketship keychain the first time when they were going to the room, but I noticed the other two keychains the second time.
I don't know if you noticed this aswell, but in the scene where Viper meets up with Harada in the alley, there is a person with a Spiderman logo hat on. Its clearly visible, and I thought it was pretty cool!

Old 07-26-2013, 03:59 PM   #154
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

Quote:
It made perfect sense to name Mariko as his heir. His son hated him, and he knew he would destroy the work he'd done and worse (seeing his political ambitions and plans for Mariko's marriage), that Yashida had no intention of ever giving his control of his company to Shingen. He gave it to the person he believed was honorable and who would protect him and his legacy. He probably believed he was actually saving her from worse if the company had gone to Shingen.

The inter-family conflict had been going on for a long time, before Mariko was ever named the heir, and well before Logan ever entered the picture.

The faked death was likely more out of necessity than out of devious planning. Publicly, he had to be dead so it would be known that the company now belonged to Mariko. It put her in danger, but he had Harada protecting her at the funeral (which he did). It also put Logan out in the open, so that he could be captured. They had to change their plans when he refused Yashida's offer.

They could have taken Logan before the funeral that night too, but then Shingen would have been suspicious. He wasn't supposed to know what Yashida was planning to do, and if he'd seen Logan being smuggled out of the house at the same time his father had died, he would have known his father wasn't dead.

Omg, it was crazy! They gave me the microphone and I started to ask the question from where I was, and they're all like, "Don't be shy, come up on the stage!" I have no idea how I made it up those stairs...

The movie theater was open to, so there were people there seeing other movies. Hugh and the radio station guy who was MC'ing were calling out to the people going up on the escalator and telling them to enjoy Turbo.
But there was no need to name an heir to begin with. If his plan worked out, he wouldn't have needed to fake his death, or name an heir, because he would have retained power of his company. There's no law saying that you can't use mutant abilities to restore your youth and retain power of your company.

It would have made much more sense for him to keep Shingin thinking he would be the heir, so Shingin would keep covering his back, while going about his plans.

So once again, there was never a reason to fake his death. Even if Shigin knew his plan with Logan, it wouldn't matter, because the way Shingin was presented in the movie, he had no way of stripping power from his father anyways. He could have not faked his death, captured Logan that night at the house, taken his healing ability, and suddenly regained his youth. And once Shigin found out he did that he could have done....

Nothing. Because the elder Yashida was still clearly in control of his company. So all the secrecy had literally no point. Again, had they portrayed Shingin as being in a position to take his father's power away from him, the secrecy would have made sense. Since they didn't, it was pointless.

And I'm surprised you didn't jump Hugh then and there. Or at least ask him to take his shirt off. Come on now

my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:

http://vimeo.com/41530049
Old 07-26-2013, 04:04 PM   #155
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Decent film. Like it.

Favorite Sequence - I am one of the few who actually liked the sequence where Wolverine pulls that bug from his heart. It was surreal but the scene has absolutely phenomenal heart-stopping suspense and tension with Yukio and Shingen fighting around him.

And that immediately led into the best action scene of the film, namely Logan and Shingen furiously battling it out. The raw physicality of Jackman's performance really showed in the fight, he was absolutely brutal in the sequence, almost god like.

This shot when Logan has finally got his healing back and gets up to fight got a cheer from the audience because now Logan was back to his peak form and Shingen was absolutely toast.

The bullet train fight was also good. The Silver Samurai fight was poor I think.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:05 PM   #156
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWayneP View Post
I don't know if you noticed this aswell, but in the scene where Viper meets up with Harada in the alley, there is a person with a Spiderman logo hat on. Its clearly visible, and I thought it was pretty cool!
I didn't see it, but I heard it about it! I'll have to check for it next time...and yes, there will be a next time.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:11 PM   #157
Drz
Real Hero

Wolverine Movie Review

Quote:

Hugh Jackman is back as the Wolverine! Sadly that was never a guarantee for quality, so we’re left with just dumb okay entertainment. Marco Beltrami’s soundtrack however is top notch with its mood enhancing scores, mixing eastern style with blockbuster movie scores.

Story begins with Wolverine being on his long exile from humanity, the director James Mangold & his screenwriters try to tell us Wolverine can’t over the fact he killed his love Jean Grey, but later on the movie it’s clear Wolverine was on an exile of moping, because he falls in love from the very first sight, leading to some unwanted hilarity with the way our protagonist is characterized. There is also absolutely zero chemistry between Wolverine & the new love interest Mariko (Tao Okamoto).

The villains and their motivations are as paper thin as Wolverine’s motivation to seek justice for people he’s never met before, but what really should be ashamed from the screenwriters is to have that horrible old trope from villains, the monologue about how genius their plans is, just before their sudden demise!

Wolverine himself proves his master strategist skills, when a hero usually would defeat the legion of ninja foes, Wolverine allows himself to be beaten just so he can enter the villain’s lair faster, never thought I’d see a hero pull such a slick move.

The biggest gripe with the story is how abruptly the villain’s upper hand against Wolverine’s regeneration abilities ends. No villain tries to use the same trick twice & instead of Wolverine’s final matches against the antagonists being something the audience is on the edge of their seats how Wolverine can overcome them, it’s very dull some as it is just Wolverine hacking and slashing things.

The movie doesn’t offer anything new nor worth while.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:14 PM   #158
BlackFox
Almost ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENERAL RAAM582 View Post
I really liked it, I think hearing all the complaints about the 3rd act helped me with it. It was not as bad as I thought it would be, but the film definitely stumbles in its 3rd act. Anyway, great film. I just read Claremont's Wolverine yesterday, so it was really cool seeing similarities. I saw something similar with Origins: Wolverine. Wolverine is chopping up the tree in the middle of the road and Mariko is with some kids; it's just like in Origins when Wolverine was a lumberjack and Kayla was a school teacher. Don't know if that was done on purpose, but one hell of a coincidence. Jackman once again mastered Wolverine, it was probably his best performance, which makes me even more excited for DoFP. Not to say he didn't have it down before, but now he's completely mastered the role IMO. I thought the fight scenes with the ninjas in the snow was too short, but I think that's the 10-12 minutes of cut footage may come from. I really hope we get that. Not to mention that post-credits scene was great. Overall, I'd say a 9/10, but my excitement might go down a bit and it will be an 8.5/10, but who knows. Definitely nothing lower than an 8.5 though.
Agree with pretty much all of this

(X-Men-Apocalypse:Brace yourselves, WAR is coming)
Old 07-26-2013, 04:16 PM   #159
BlackFox
Almost ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumcat View Post
Decent film. Like it.

Favorite Sequence - I am one of the few who actually liked the sequence where Wolverine pulls that bug from his heart. It was surreal but the scene has absolutely phenomenal heart-stopping suspense and tension with Yukio and Shingen fighting around him.

And that immediately led into the best action scene of the film, namely Logan and Shingen furiously battling it out. The raw physicality of Jackman's performance really showed in the fight, he was absolutely brutal in the sequence, almost god like.

This shot when Logan has finally got his healing back and gets up to fight got a cheer from the audience because now Logan was back to his peak form and Shingen was absolutely toast.
This whole sequence was incredible and finally sold me on Jackson as Logan.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:17 PM   #160
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity9999x View Post
And I'm surprised you didn't jump Hugh then and there. Or at least ask him to take his shirt off. Come on now
I was just trying not to puke on the stage!

Here's what this looked like:

This is when he was coming up to the stage:

Can you tell my hand was shaking when I took this?

I got to go up on that stage.

And here we are. Poni_Boy actually took this, and we briefly met before this happened without knowing we knew each other from here.

I almost forgot I was seeing the movie after that.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:19 PM   #161
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:

I need to have one of these with me at all times.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:26 PM   #162
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

Quote:
I was just trying not to puke on the stage!

Here's what this looked like:

This is when he was coming up to the stage:

Can you tell my hand was shaking when I took this?

I got to go up on that stage.

And here we are. Poni_Boy actually took this, and we briefly met before this happened without knowing we knew each other from here.

I almost forgot I was seeing the movie after that.

Gahhh! That is so COOL! This is when I get insanely jealous that you live in NYC.

And in terms of the plot issue:

Basically what it comes down to is this: For the faked death to make sense there has to be a reason why Yashida does it. But the way the information is provided in the film, Yashida quite literally retains full power of his company until he dies. Since no one was presented as having any ability to strip Yashida of his power, the faked death served no purpose. The way the film presented things, even is Shigin knew Yashida's full plan (become immortal) he couldn't have done a whole lot about it.

It would have made much more sense for Yashida to keep Shingin thinking he would inherit the company, capture Logan that night, and head off to his alternate facility. Shingin might have noticed Logan being carted off, but with his hatred of mutants I doubt he'd care. And again, he wasn't in a position to stop his father anyways.

here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:

Old 07-26-2013, 04:27 PM   #163
GENERAL RAAM582
The Amazing Spider-Man

Anyone think in the scene where Yukio and Shingen are fighting would have been better if they didn't show the wounds healing on Logan? They are fighting, you forget about Logan, then she's down, and bam, he blocks the sword. Them cutting to him healing took some of the suspense and intensity of the scene out for me.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:32 PM   #164
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENERAL RAAM582 View Post
Anyone think in the scene where Yukio and Shingen are fighting would have been better if they didn't show the wounds healing on Logan? They are fighting, you forget about Logan, then she's down, and bam, he blocks the sword. Them cutting to him healing took some of the suspense and intensity of the scene out for me.
BINGO! GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE.

I thought the exact same thing. They gave away their hand too soon. They should have only cut to him dying and then BHAM suddenly the claws pop out to stop the sword and save Yukio - then cut to Jackman looking scary as heel with the wounds now shown healing.

It would been a crowd cheering moment. it still is, but making it more unexpected would have brought the house down like the "I'm always angry scene" in the Avengers.

Also Yukio discovering the diagrams on the floor easily gave away that the old man was the Silver Samurai.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:33 PM   #165
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Gee lady, you can make this your phone wall paper or something.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:35 PM   #166
BlackFox
Almost ninja

Quote:
Someone needs to take a cold shower

Old 07-26-2013, 04:35 PM   #167
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFox View Post
This whole sequence was incredible and finally sold me on Jackson as Logan.
I think that sequence might become the defining Wolverine moment for Jackman. He really went all out in that scene - you can feel the rage and fury coming off the screen.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:37 PM   #168
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Gahhh! That is so COOL! This is when I get insanely jealous that you live in NYC.
Hahaha...I actually live about 30 minutes from NYC, but I came into the city for that! We also got Wolverine t-shirts, a lanyard with the poster on one side and "I saw it first, bub" on the back, and foam claw hands.

Because, me standing with Hugh Jackman in Wolverine sneakers and holding a giant foam claw hand was exactly the image I had in my mind when I was sobbing my way through Les Miserables six months ago...

Quote:
And in terms of the plot issue:

Basically what it comes down to is this: For the faked death to make sense there has to be a reason why Yashida does it. But the way the information is provided in the film, Yashida quite literally retains full power of his company until he dies. Since no one was presented as having any ability to strip Yashida of his power, the faked death served no purpose. The way the film presented things, even is Shigin knew Yashida's full plan (become immortal) he couldn't have done a whole lot about it.

It would have made much more sense for Yashida to keep Shingin thinking he would inherit the company, capture Logan that night, and head off to his alternate facility. Shingin might have noticed Logan being carted off, but with his hatred of mutants I doubt he'd care. And again, he wasn't in a position to stop his father anyways.
My brain is a little fried, I was just getting back to that...

The way I saw it (and much clearer, the second time) was that he saw both his imminent death and Mariko's life in danger at the same time. He'd reached out to Logan, assuming he would be relieved to give up his healing factor, but when he refused the offer, he did something drastic in order to get what he wanted a different way, which was incredibly flawed, and it failed.

They did it, because they assumed Harada would be able to protect Mariko and that they would easily capture Logan. They assumed a lot of things wrong.

In a way, all it did was restore a balance between the future of the company in Mariko's hands, where it would continue without Yashida's obsessions and Shingen's corruption.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:38 PM   #169
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFox View Post
Someone needs to take a cold shower
Hey!

Old 07-26-2013, 04:39 PM   #170
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
BINGO! GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE.

I thought the exact same thing. They gave away their hand too soon. They should have only cut to him dying and then BHAM suddenly the claws pop out to stop the sword and save Yukio - then cut to Jackman looking scary as heel with the wounds now shown healing.

It would been a crowd cheering moment. it still is, but making it more unexpected would have brought the house down like the "I'm always angry scene" in the Avengers.

Also Yukio discovering the diagrams on the floor easily gave away that the old man was the Silver Samurai.
My crowd did cheer when Logan stopped the sword.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:39 PM   #171
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

One of my favorite moments was actually right in the beginning with the hunters in the bar. I knew Logan confronted them, but I didn't expect him to Stab the arrow through the guy's hand. It was very brutal, and very intense. Perfect Wolverine.

The Shingen fight was great as well. I actually wish it was a bit longer. But the cinematography of it and the fight choreography was just beautiful.

here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:

Old 07-26-2013, 04:42 PM   #172
BlackFox
Almost ninja

Quote:
I think that sequence might become the defining Wolverine moment for Jackman. He really went all out in that scene - you can feel the rage and fury coming off the screen.
I'm not sure if it was the lighting or some other camera effect but he looked huge, the feral beast reborn, not Logan any more but Wolverine again.

Complete balls out badass, his delivery of the line as well was just perfection.

More imposing and sinister than anything Batman, Ironman or any other comic book character has pulled off on screen so far.

My favourite marvel on screen moment I think I would have to say.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:42 PM   #173
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
My crowd did cheer when Logan stopped the sword.
My crowd did too. But you saw it coming. They should have slightly made it more unexpected, that's all. The entire sequence is great but, no doubt - best in the film I would say.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:43 PM   #174
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

Quote:
Hahaha...I actually live about 30 minutes from NYC, but I came into the city for that! We also got Wolverine t-shirts, a lanyard with the poster on one side and "I saw it first, bub" on the back, and foam claw hands.

Because, me standing with Hugh Jackman in Wolverine sneakers and holding a giant foam claw hand was exactly the image I had in my mind when I was sobbing my way through Les Miserables six months ago...

My brain is a little fried, I was just getting back to that...

The way I saw it (and much clearer, the second time) was that he saw both his imminent death and Mariko's life in danger at the same time. He'd reached out to Logan, assuming he would be relieved to give up his healing factor, but when he refused the offer, he did something drastic in order to get what he wanted a different way, which was incredibly flawed, and it failed.

They did it, because they assumed Harada would be able to protect Mariko and that they would easily capture Logan. They assumed a lot of things wrong.

In a way, all it did was restore a balance between the future of the company in Mariko's hands, where it would continue without Yashida's obsessions and Shingen's corruption.

The issue with that though, is that as the film presents it, Mariko was only in danger because of her Grandfather. Had he not named her the heir to the company, there would have been no danger for her at all.

He saw his imminent death, but he knew that the other suit would keep him alive a while longer, and he never planned to actually die, or give the company to Mariko anyway. So it still didn't make sense for him to fake his death.

Now, had they added a quick line to the effect that Shingen had finally gotten tired of his father's obsessions and was planning on informing the stockholders how he had squandered the money, thus creating a power-play to strip the old man of his power, I would have understood faking his death. But that wasn't in there. As it was presented in the film, the old man had literally no threat to his power as long as he was alive. Which makes his faked death completely pointless.

here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:

Old 07-26-2013, 04:44 PM   #175
BlackFox
Almost ninja

Quote:
One of my favorite moments was actually right in the beginning with the hunters in the bar. I knew Logan confronted them, but I didn't expect him to Stab the arrow through the guy's hand. It was very brutal, and very intense. Perfect Wolverine.

The Shingen fight was great as well. I actually wish it was a bit longer. But the cinematography of it and the fight choreography was just beautiful.
It was either this seen or when you see Logan burnt to a crisp when the bomb drops that it hit me this was not like your usual comic book films.

Closed Thread