The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Amazing Spider-Man 2

View Poll Results: How do you feel about Harry, not Norman, being the one to kill Gwen? (multi-vote)
It's best to distance this Green Goblin story arc from Raimi's 6 12.24%
As long as everything else is the same it's okay 5 10.20%
It depends on the execution (no pun intended) 23 46.94%
Any change to Gwen's death scene is acceptable 1 2.04%
Norman must be the one to drop/kill Gwen 17 34.69%
No changes to Gwen's death scene are acceptable 5 10.20%
I'm unsure at the moment 7 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-20-2013, 09:12 AM   #1
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Default Rumor: Harry Osborn, instead of Norman, killing Gwen Stacy?

How do you guys feel about Harry being the one to kill Gwen?

Would such a change to the canon be for better or for worse?

Keep in mind using the same exact story arc as Raimi's first Spider-man movie would re-ignite the "been there, done that" debate.

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:26 AM   #2
Spiderdevil
Side-Kick

Default Re: Rumor: Harry Osborn, instead of Norman, killing Gwen Stacy?

I was previously strictly against it but now I think if it done correctly,I would be fine with it
Basically because I want to see Dane Dehaan as the Goblin,I think he has the potential to give a Heath Ledger like performance if given the chance

Spiderdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:28 AM   #3
spidergeek232
I'm Not A Loser

It really does depend on how it's executed. Dane is such a great actor that I wouldn't mind him being GG, or even Venom. But I'm pretty sure Norman will be GG.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:35 AM   #4
Tim_Riggins
Dillon Panthers

Hell with the canon, just do something different, plus technically, if Harry is the Green Goblin, there won't be any violation of the canon. And yeah, I can see Dane as GG rather than Chris Cooper, makes more sense to me. As said, it's also a way to go a different way rather than recycle storylines, it'll be more like a neat parallel to the first Spidey movie with GG and Mary Jane.

Tim_Riggins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:40 AM   #5
JOE

Norman must kill her, anyone else wouldn't be as powerful as Norman doing it...

"If you make yourself more than just an avatar, if you devote yourself to an ideal, you become something else entirely... A legend, Mr. SpideyK"

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat
JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:45 AM   #6
Tim_Riggins
Dillon Panthers

Why is that? We've yet to see how the movie is done. Why not do something different for a change?

Old 07-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #7
Spiderdevil
Side-Kick

Think about it
Harry starts to hate Spider-man(for whatever reason) the two duke it out
Imagine Harry's emotions when he comes to know that its his best pal,imagine his mania when he decides to kill Gwen
Imagine Peter's emotions when he finds out that the killer of the love of his life is his best friend.His struggle to avenge her death or stop himself from being a killer

There's plenty of potential there because Peter's and Harry Osborn's relationship is much more intimate

Even with the mess SM3 was,no one can deny that Harry's death was very powerful in the end
'You're my friend' 'Best friend'

Spiderdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:52 AM   #8
Tim_Riggins
Dillon Panthers

Exactly, that will make it that much more powerful than if Norman kills her.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:57 AM   #9
Rise_-
Side-Kick

While I'm not sure if Harry will kill her, it has been noted numerous times that all the stuff with Spidey and Gwen at the bridge is a red herring and that she'll die later on in the series.

Webb has also said (on the subject of her death) that whilst they must follow the comic's canon, they must also deviate from it...

- Superhero Hyperbole Forums.
Rise_- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:58 AM   #10
Tanin
Side-Kick

To me it is Green Goblin/Spider-man combo that kills her. I couldn't care less if it is Harry or Norman as the Goblin.

Tanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:07 AM   #11
WarriorDreamer
Side-Kick

I think its a bad idea and I hope it doesn't happen. I think it would be better to have another villain kill Gwen if they didn't want it to be the classic Goblin, IMO.

After all Carnage killed her in the Ultimate series.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2- April 16th
WarriorDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:08 AM   #12
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorDreamer View Post
I think its a bad idea and I hope it doesn't happen. I think it would be better to have another villain kill Gwen if they didn't want it to be the classic Goblin, IMO.

And that was beyond awful.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
UltimateWebhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:14 AM   #13
Da Games Elite
Side-Kick

It depends on how, really. If they're setting up Harry as Peter's arch nemesis this time around, as opposed to Norman, then okay. If Norman is the big bad, then it's gotta be him.

Da Games Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:15 AM   #14
Neno_Kos
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorDreamer View Post

that's why Ultimate sucks It had some good ideas for story, settings and villains origins, but this wasn't of them. I hated Carnage killing Gwen, I hated Hulk Goblin. So, overall i prefer The Amazing Spider-Man over Ultimate.

Neno_Kos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:00 PM   #15
Green Goblin
Not the Hobgoblin!

They debunked the Harry being GG rumor.

Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:04 PM   #16
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlueWonder View Post
They debunked the Harry being GG rumor.
You mind posting a link in this thread?

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:07 PM   #17
Nicko-Ray
05. SINI .02. STER .14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderdevil View Post
I was previously strictly against it but now I think if it done correctly,I would be fine with it
Basically because I want to see Dane Dehaan as the Goblin,I think he has the potential to give a Heath Ledger like performance if given the chance

Like I've said numerous times before, and Marc even said he really loves and drew from the Ultimates line, that the Ultimates were known for its twists (GG being a creature, Kletus Casady not being Carnage, Gwen's death, Harry being the Hobgoblin...etc) and if this movie series is similar to that nature, I'm very okay with Harry being GG. It will very much have that "Ultimate" feel of switching things up.

Nicko-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:16 PM   #18
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
You mind posting a link in this thread?
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Don-t...orn-38611.html

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Picard Sisko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:18 PM   #19
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko-Ray View Post

Like I've said numerous times before, and Marc even said he really loves and drew from the Ultimates line, that the Ultimates were known for its twists (GG being a creature, Kletus Casady not being Carnage, Gwen's death, Harry being the Hobgoblin...etc) and if this movie series is similar to that nature, I'm very okay with Harry being GG. It will very much have that "Ultimate" feel of switching things up.
I think a lot of comic book fans are closed minded people (no offense to them). I love the comic books, but I understand that in order to make a comic book movie interesting, you have to make certain changes. Otherwise what's the point in watching a movie that is exactly like the comic books? Its not like they are adapting a novel or a series of novels (such as Harry Potter, Twilight, The Hunger Games, etc.) where the story is what it is, and basically stays the same. They have to pull several different incarnations of source material from the past 50 years and turn it into something new and exciting.

Ultimate Spider-Man made changes that were necessary to make the Spider-Man mythos more relatable to younger readers. It had a ton of similarities and inspiration from the 616 universe, but was still fresh at the same time. That's what this new franchise seems to be doing.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Old 07-20-2013, 12:27 PM   #20
Nicko-Ray
05. SINI .02. STER .14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
Except that statement that Marc made still doesn't mean Harry can't be GG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
I think a lot of comic book fans are closed minded people (no offense to them). I love the comic books, but I understand that in order to make a comic book movie interesting, you have to make certain changes. Otherwise what's the point in watching a movie that is exactly like the comic books? Its not like they are adapting a novel or a series of novels (such as Harry Potter, Twilight, The Hunger Games, etc.) where the story is what it is, and basically stays the same. They have to pull several different incarnations of source material from the past 50 years and turn it into something new and exciting.

Ultimate Spider-Man made changes that were necessary to make the Spider-Man mythos more relatable to younger readers. It had a ton of similarities and inspiration from the 616 universe, but was still fresh at the same time. That's what this new franchise seems to be doing.

That's exactly what I meant except you stated it more fleshed out and efficiently haha. Also, to add to your Ultimate Spider-Man statement about changes necessary to make the mythos more relatable to younger readers, it also just made changes to simply separate itself from the 616. 'Cause why do something exactly the same over again? Sounds familiar doesn't it? It's like this reboot is the movie form of Ultimate Spider-Man, as to what the USM comic book was back in the day. Did I word that right? Haha

Old 07-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #21
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko-Ray View Post
Except that statement that Marc made still doesn't mean Harry can't be GG.

True, but its at least another hint or "semi-confirmation" that Norman Osborn will be Green Goblin as opposed to Harry. We'll see I guess.
Quote:

That's exactly what I meant except you stated it more fleshed out and efficiently haha. Also, to add to your Ultimate Spider-Man statement about changes necessary to make the mythos more relatable to younger readers, it also just made changes to simply separate itself from the 616. 'Cause why do something exactly the same over again? Sounds familiar doesn't it? It's like this reboot is the movie form of Ultimate Spider-Man, as to what the USM comic book was back in the day. Did I word that right? Haha
You do have a point there.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #22
Nicko-Ray
05. SINI .02. STER .14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Riggins View Post
Hell with the canon, just do something different, plus technically, if Harry is the Green Goblin, there won't be any violation of the canon. And yeah, I can see Dane as GG rather than Chris Cooper, makes more sense to me. As said, it's also a way to go a different way rather than recycle storylines, it'll be more like a neat parallel to the first Spidey movie with GG and Mary Jane.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #23
Picard Sisko

I really am just curious as to how Green Goblin will look. Is he going to wear that goofy costume and purse full of pumpkins riding a glider, or is he going to be a fully transformed "Hulk" Goblin like in USM? Or is it a mix of both? Something completely original?

Since I've been re-reading USM, I actually am starting to like the Ultimate Green Goblin. Its growing on me. It only seems like people here and other Spider-Man purists are the ones who really hate it. I've shown it to people who've never read comics before, and they have all said that they prefer that design to the original.

Of course, I still prefer the original 616 design, but it wouldn't work on film. Also, the USM version may not work either because it would be like The Lizard all over again: Spider-Man vs. a giant CGI green monster. I think a mix between the classic and Ultimate look could work. Something like this:

That way he won't look silly with a rubber green mask, but will still be a man on a glider to please the fans. The serum could transform him into a Goblin-esque creature, but won't turn into the Incredible Hulk with horns.

Last edited by Picard Sisko; 07-20-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:52 PM   #24
younglink42
Side-Kick

Did you guys see this interview that I posted a few pages back in the GD? It may answer some of your questions. http://m.cinemablend.com/new/Amazing...ger-38620.html

younglink42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:54 PM   #25
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglink42 View Post
Did you guys see this interview that I posted a few pages back in the GD? It may answer some of your questions. http://m.cinemablend.com/new/Amazing...ger-38620.html
I posted that like 3-4 times. But its much appreciated!