The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Amazing Spider-Man 2

View Poll Results: How do you feel about Harry, not Norman, being the one to kill Gwen? (multi-vote)
It's best to distance this Green Goblin story arc from Raimi's 6 12.24%
As long as everything else is the same it's okay 5 10.20%
It depends on the execution (no pun intended) 23 46.94%
Any change to Gwen's death scene is acceptable 1 2.04%
Norman must be the one to drop/kill Gwen 17 34.69%
No changes to Gwen's death scene are acceptable 5 10.20%
I'm unsure at the moment 7 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-21-2013, 04:21 PM   #51
Morbius
Living Vampire

Default Re: Rumor: Harry Osborn, instead of Norman, killing Gwen Stacy?

I love this 'Vader' idea actually! I still want to believe that Norman will become GG, but I think Cooper's casting, and the reports from SDCC have some indications of what kind of Goblin we'll see, if any.

First up, we're not going to have Cooper as a visibly physically strong individual (think Willem Dafoe leaping offscreen after the first dose of the formula) - honestly, I think if that was what Webb had intended, he'd have cast someone 15 years younger.

Webb's a smart guy - he's not going to go down the route of Ultimate GG. A Hulking monster has already been done ala The Lizard in TASM1, so yet another big giant green monster would diffuse any notion of Spider-man's greatest foe having any meaningful impact to the audience. This is made more apparent by the fact that Webb's Lizard could talk.

The footage at the SDCC apparently showed a bedridden Normal Osborn, looking close to death. Webb wants you to THINK he's frail and fragile. Perhaps he wants us to assume it's Harry who is the GG. He'll keep the audience guessing - unlike Raimi's Goblin, we won't know his motivations from the outset, we won't know anything. I think it's all going to build up to 'Vader' moment, an epic unmasking intended to surprise the audience. Remember at the end of American Beauty, when Cooper was revealed to be the killer? Not only do I think this is what they're going to do here, I also think Webb may have chosen Cooper for this same Big Reveal based on his epic performance in American Beauty - he's essentially doing the same thing here.

Last edited by Morbius; 07-21-2013 at 04:38 PM.
Morbius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:13 AM   #52
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

At this point, I'm thinking we are just led to believe Harry is the Green Goblin. I believe it will be a bait and switch that the movie pulls on us. First by making us think Norman is dying and by making Harry extremely mysterious and creepy. But it ends up being Norman who kills Gwen.

That's what I think so far anyway.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:55 AM   #53
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.

This poll is flawed.

We don't yet know for sure that Harry does it, or that it happens in ASM2.

If you HAD to do this poll, you should've at least featured options stating that Harry WOULDNT be the one to kill her.

Yeah, I'm just worried that if Pan of Steel isn't widely accepted by the audience and critics, they might try to shoehorn Pinocchio into the sequel, and we all know how long Hollywood has been trying to do a 'Pan vs Pinocchio' team up movie.
The Legend of Labeouf by Schlosser85
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=226

#Hypsters4Sawyer
SpideyFan866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:57 AM   #54
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
At this point, I'm thinking we are just led to believe Harry is the Green Goblin. I believe it will be a bait and switch that the movie pulls on us. First by making us think Norman is dying and by making Harry extremely mysterious and creepy. But it ends up being Norman who kills Gwen.

That's what I think so far anyway.
This.

And it seems that (based on the shot in the "trailer" of Harry screaming in pain) they are taking it as far as having Harry actually take the Goblin formula, like he did in TSSM.

So IMO, its HIGHLY likely that we will be getting a misdirection, revealed only in the mid/after credits scene and/or in ASM3.

Yeah, I'm just worried that if Pan of Steel isn't widely accepted by the audience and critics, they might try to shoehorn Pinocchio into the sequel, and we all know how long Hollywood has been trying to do a 'Pan vs Pinocchio' team up movie.

#Hypsters4Sawyer
Old 07-30-2013, 08:22 AM   #55
spidergeek232
I'm Not A Loser

Yeah, like they could have him take the formula, but then pass out soon afterwards (with the audience not knowing). And then when the Goblin shows up, everyone thinks its Harry when it's actually Norman.

spidergeek232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:30 AM   #56
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

If they do try and trick us, and save the big reveal that Norman IS the Goblin for the third film, I'm staying away from the boards. People are going to flip. "I knew they were changing the source material! Bring the rights back to Marvel!"

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:47 AM   #57
JOE

I remember these boards when we got the first set image of Spider-Man. The one of him running through the streets? People ripped the movie to shreds.

"If you make yourself more than just an avatar, if you devote yourself to an ideal, you become something else entirely... A legend, Mr. Kane52630"

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat
JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:04 AM   #58
Picard Sisko

Man, despite its flaws, TASM has gotten too much hate. It really had an uphill battle.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Old 07-30-2013, 09:15 AM   #59
Spiderdevil
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbius View Post
Personally, I don't think Cooper/Norman will be Goblin. The guy's like 62 years old - assuming there are 3/4 movies in this franchise, and more importantly, a movie yet to be made where Goblin is the MAIN villain, how long do you think it would take for Chris Cooper to appear on-screen battling Spidey?

We have to look at it practically - by the time Cooper is expected to become the GG, he'll be like 63 or 64 years old. Now, why would Marc Webb cast someone as old as Chris Cooper, if he meant them to later become the GG? It doesn't make sense when you think about it that way. All signs point to Dane becoming the Goblin - assuming of course there IS ever going to be a goblin in Webb's movie-verse.
Excellent point

Also the fact that Dane was supposedly body building and Foxx keeps praising him in every interview makes me feel he has a much bigger role

Spiderdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:19 AM   #60
Picard Sisko

Did anyone hear about Chris Cooper being wanted to play Norman in SM1?

Old 07-30-2013, 09:29 AM   #61
Spideyfan117
Yo When's Mahvel!?

Concerning Cooper's age, that hardly matters when you have stunt doubles. Besides, older actors than him have had physical training regiments for movies. His acting chops are there. That's the main thing. He could deliver a terrifying Green Goblin.

Spideyfan117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:32 AM   #62
Picard Sisko

He'll be under a mask or become CGI anyway, so no worries for him there.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:44 AM   #63
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
Did anyone hear about Chris Cooper being wanted to play Norman in SM1?
Yeah, I saw that in an interview with Avi Arad from the most recent SDCC footage. He said they originally wanted Cooper to play Norman in SM1 but he had other commitments.

UltimateWebhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:07 AM   #64
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

It's tricky, as I'm a fan of Chris Cooper, he's a quality actor. But I do feel like he's maybe a bit too old to be Norman Osborn. When you consider Dane's age, and that Osborn is Harry's father, I picture someone more in the late 40s/early 50s age range. Cooper is in his 60s. Bearing that in mind, I could see why the filmmakers might few Harry as a more credible Green Goblin for the franchise. But as a comic fan, I personally find Norman Osborn to be as compelling a villain - if not MORE compelling - than his Green Goblin alter ego, so I'd rather see him in the role.

And check out my new comic, AND THEN EMILY WAS GONE!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Keyser Soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:59 PM   #65
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
Just because Norman will still become the Green Goblin, doesn't mean that Harry won't become A goblin prior.

Plus, following SDCC, this rumor looks true, Gwen death or not.

#Hypsters4Sawyer

Last edited by SpideyFan866; 10-22-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:00 AM   #66
eLPAtitoyUPI
The real Spoder-Man

I kind of like it more this way, because it makes more sense and it could be potentially more tragic. It all depends of the execution. After all, Harry and Peter are best friends, and Norman doesn't know how Peter is.

But I've said a thousand times here, for me GG didn't killed Gwen Stacy, Spider-Man did (*snap*), and that should ALWAYS happen.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:57 AM   #67
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.

Agreed.

Plus, if Harry does become Goblin first, and tosses Gwen, you can bet her death will still lead back to Norman in some way.

I doubt Harry would go after him for any reason but something Norman told him, be it true or not.

#Hypsters4Sawyer
Old 10-24-2013, 03:02 AM   #68
Michael Frost
Snowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
Keep in mind using the same exact story arc as Raimi's first Spider-man movie would re-ignite the "been there, done that" debate.
Except Raimi didn't use Gwen nor did he kill Mary Jane on that bridge scene...

Which would be the perfect differentiator between these two takes on Spider-man and would be a nice twist for people who are aware of the first movie but are not familiar with the actual canon.

Just as you think they're going with a "been there, done that" angle on Goblin, suddently the girlfriend does die at the end and things go horribly wrong for Peter.

Norman has to be the one to do it. As much as I think Harry as the second Goblin brings a different relationship between Spidey and him, Harry isn't the scheming and sadistic manipulator that his father was.

Michael Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:43 AM   #69
JOE

Where has Picard gone? Hasn't been on in almost a month?

"If you make yourself more than just an avatar, if you devote yourself to an ideal, you become something else entirely... A legend, Mr. Kane52630"

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat
Old 10-24-2013, 11:40 AM   #70
Nicko-Ray
"On va voir."

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLPAtitoyUPI View Post
I kind of like it more this way, because it makes more sense and it could be potentially more tragic. It all depends of the execution. After all, Harry and Peter are best friends, and Norman doesn't know how Peter is.

But I've said a thousand times here, for me GG didn't killed Gwen Stacy, Spider-Man did (*snap*), and that should ALWAYS happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyFan866 View Post
Agreed.

Plus, if Harry does become Goblin first, and tosses Gwen, you can bet her death will still lead back to Norman in some way.

I doubt Harry would go after him for any reason but something Norman told him, be it true or not.
All good points I agree with, guys.

Nicko-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:56 AM   #71
JOE

I'd want the Goblin to kill Gwen, then when Peter finds out it's Harry (so he thinks) he is furious with him only to later find out it was Norman all along. Dum Dum Dum Dum...

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat
Old 10-24-2013, 05:16 PM   #72
Spideyfan117
Yo When's Mahvel!?

I don't care as long as Norman is the Goblin in the end. They have the chance to deliver an EXCELLENT Green Goblin with Chris Cooper as Norman. So I'll be extremely disappointed if they don't make use of his talent. He's one of my favorite actors and to have him as Norman is a dream come true.

Spideyfan117 is offline   Reply With Quote