The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: Is this the right time to introduce the team-up?
Perfect time for a team-up 29 43.28%
It's too soon 23 34.33%
Undecided 15 22.39%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-20-2013, 10:36 PM   #1
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Default Is this the right time to introduce the team-up?

I hope this doesn't cross-over into any of the other threads too much but i'm just curious and want to gauge the reaction here to the announcement that Batman will seemingly have a major role in what is either the MoS sequel or the first WF film?

In your opinions is this too soon a time to introduce Batman into the fold after only 1 MoS film or is this just what both franchises need at the time?

Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:01 PM   #2
kalelvis
Side-Kick

Default Re: Is this the right time to introduce the team-up?

There is no reason it can't be the right time. There is a clear reason for Bruce Wayne to be in Metropolis after the destruction. The main characters in MoS work at a newspaper so there is good cause for them to have interest in Wayne coming to Metropolis and to also discuss the recent appearances of a "bat" in Gotham City.

So, like with any movie it all depends on a good story that contains its own since of logic.

kalelvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:05 PM   #3
GREEN =w= DAY
Side-Kick

what better way to introduce the new Batman than in a Superman film? people are already familiar with Batman so no point in redoing an origin. i am sure that this new film will still be more focused on Superman with Batman having a large supporting role and getting people amped up for Justice League. then Batman can go back to having his own set of new solo films.

GREEN =w= DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:07 PM   #4
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

One big reason being, why couldn't Superman have his own solo sequel first before Batman crashed the party?

This just another example of how Batman's popularity is going to hurt Superman's character in the long run.

herolee10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:09 PM   #5
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

why does he need a solo sequel before meeting Batman?

Thor/Cap/Hulk didn't get sequels before the Avengers.

FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:17 PM   #6
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

From a financial standpoint, this was a smart and fantastic choice.
Story wise, I would have preferred another Superman solo film but whatever, I am not complaining.

ConnorKon-El is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:21 PM   #7
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedOnATreeFrog View Post
why does he need a solo sequel before meeting Batman?

Thor/Cap/Hulk didn't get sequels before the Avengers.
Because the Avengers was about All of the MCU heroes finally meeting together as opposed to just two of them meeting each other.

Another reason is that the Hulk film didn't do well enough to warrant a sequel, and Thor/Cap were specifically written to go into a Avengers film.

And Captain America and thor were well established before the avengers film. Superman barely just started his career as a hero.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:28 PM   #8
bluearth
Side-Kick

I think its the perfect time. Man of Steel was as big of a success as it could possibly be. We're only a few years removed from the last Batman film. Im quite sure Warner Brothers did the number crunching and realized the audience really didnt want another Batman origin story so fast. They couldnt risk damaging their most prized hero like what happened when the Spiderman reboot was rushed back onto the audience.

Revealing a new Batman as sort of a supporting character in 'Man of Steel 2' should turn out to be a great idea.

The future of DC films may be a mixup of teammups and solo films, similar to the recent animated movies. I think thats a brilliant way to go about things. If they arent so sure about Wonder Woman, team her up with the Green Lantern. There is strength in numbers.

bluearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:53 PM   #9
Skrilla31
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluearth View Post
I think its the perfect time. Man of Steel was as big of a success as it could possibly be. We're only a few years removed from the last Batman film. Im quite sure Warner Brothers did the number crunching and realized the audience really didnt want another Batman origin story so fast.
Wow, I couldn't disagree more man. To me this move REEKS of desperation and if anything was most likely triggered by the underwhelming response to Man Of Steel.

A little more than a month ago, Snyder was saying how he thought that Superman should have another solo film before teaming up with other superheroes. Now he's saying the opposite. And WB is exposing the world to a new cinematic Batman a full three years after an enormously successful series has just seen it's end.

If Man Of Steel had been a runaway smash, this wouldn't be happening. WB got scared.

Skrilla31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:29 AM   #10
bluearth
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrilla31 View Post
Wow, I couldn't disagree more man. To me this move REEKS of desperation and if anything was most likely triggered by the underwhelming response to Man Of Steel.

A little more than a month ago, Snyder was saying how he thought that Superman should have another solo film before teaming up with other superheroes. Now he's saying the opposite. And WB is exposing the world to a new cinematic Batman a full three years after an enormously successful series has just seen it's end.

If Man Of Steel had been a runaway smash, this wouldn't be happening. WB got scared.
Underwhelming response? Some vocal haters tried to shout down the best Superman film ever made. Thats all. 7.7 IMDB (way above any other Superman film on IMDB and the IMDB userbase is this film's target audience), 77% RT audience approval with a 8.0 score, and an A- cinemascore. I've read alot of the rotten tomato critic reviews. Sounds like a bunch of sour grapes. 'Not Joyful enough' 'no humor'. And their reaction to Superman using his strength for anything other then stopping and lifting heavy things that are about to fall on people

They wanted another Man of Steel film before Justice League. This doesnt change that.

You may call it scared, I call it making a good thing better. Batman has to be rebooted at some point in time to fit into the new Justice League universe. Instead of putting the audience through another excruciating origin tale, throw him in there with Superman. Let them grow up together, the universe will feel more real because of it.

I actually believe the universe will feel more connected with teammup films as well as solo movies, instead of what Marvel is doing where everyone goes there own way for 3 years before deciding to team up again for a single movie.

bluearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:35 AM   #11
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post

One big reason being, why couldn't Superman have his own solo sequel first before Batman crashed the party?

This just another example of how Batman's popularity is going to hurt Superman's character in the long run.
Did Thor, Captain America get their sequels before Avengers ?

No, but nobody complained, and they are getting their sequels after Avengers, so similarly, MOS can get a sequel afterwards, nobody is ruling that out.

If Nolan's Bat -franchise had continued (thus eliminating the need to re-introduce Batman again), we would have got MOS 2 first.

*\S/T*
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:46 AM   #12
PacificBoy
Side-Kick

I voted perfect time, because well anytime is the perfect time to feature the World's Finest.

Although I have my concerns with MOS showcasing a Year Zero superman. Can the World's Finest do double, even triple, duty being a MOS 2 (where he grows into his cape and truly becomes Superman), a new Batman Year (?) and the biggest superhero bromance ever?

Last edited by PacificBoy; 07-21-2013 at 02:50 AM.
PacificBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:57 AM   #13
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Personally would have preferred Superman to have his own solo movie where he is fully realized as Superman. MoS was basically him still learning. So now that Batman is gonna come in before Superman gets to breath by himself is disappointing.

This is assuming that the Batman we see is fully realized. When I want these two to meet they should be standing as equals.

Spill

Liam_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:57 AM   #14
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificBoy View Post
I voted perfect time, because well anytime is the perfect time to feature the World's Finest.

Although I have my concerns with MOS showcasing a Year Zero superman. Can the World's Finest do double, even triple, duty being a MOS 2 (where he grows into his cape and truly becomes Superman), a new Batman Year (?) and the biggest superhero bromance ever?
Yeah that's one of my concerns in that the near-future stake of these two huge franchises and characters are now intertwined in this one movie.

That's a lot to handle for one film arguably more pressure perhaps than the Avengers had?

Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:01 AM   #15
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
Did Thor, Captain America get their sequels before Avengers ?

No, but nobody complained, and they are getting their sequels after Avengers, so similarly, MOS can get a sequel afterwards, nobody is ruling that out.

If Nolan's Bat -franchise had continued (thus eliminating the need to re-introduce Batman again), we would have got MOS 2 first.
that's because they had already scheduled the Avengers film long in advance before the Thor and Captain America films and the Avengers' films is about all of the heroes coming together...ESTABLISHED heroes for the most part, not someone who just became a hero.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:04 AM   #16
PacificBoy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
Yeah that's one of my concerns in that the near-future stake of these two huge franchises and characters are now intertwined in this one movie.

That's a lot to handle for one film arguably more pressure perhaps than the Avengers had?
TA had pressure all right, but the pressure on this will be off the charts nuts. Like you said, it's two huge individual franchises. Then there's the World's Finest property, and Justice League is hinging on this too.

Have to say real ballsy move from WB, an outright challenge to The Avengers 2.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:09 AM   #17
PacificBoy
Side-Kick

Quote:
that's because they had already scheduled the Avengers film long in advance before the Thor and Captain America films and the Avengers' films is about all of the heroes coming together...ESTABLISHED heroes for the most part, not someone who just became a hero.
I think a World's Finest can work, but the script needs to be pretty incredible. The Avengers was glorious but its script can't exactly be called incredible. But the script didn't have to be because of all the set up done in the previous individual movies.

World's Finest is coming in practically cold. The script needs to be incredible.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:13 AM   #18
PacificBoy
Side-Kick

Awesome Re: Is this the right time to introduce the team-up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_H View Post
Personally would have preferred Superman to have his own solo movie where he is fully realized as Superman. MoS was basically him still learning. So now that Batman is gonna come in before Superman gets to breath by himself is disappointing.

This is assuming that the Batman we see is fully realized. When I want these two to meet they should be standing as equals.
The dynamic between a Year One Superman and fully realized Batman could be interesting. We are gonna speculate to death before any concrete news comes in, aren't we?

Old 07-21-2013, 03:16 AM   #19
Liam_H
Side-Kick

But to have a rookie Superman with a fully matured Batman just sounds unappealing to me. I don't want Batman schooling Superman in what is supposedly his own sequel.

Spill

Old 07-21-2013, 03:21 AM   #20
PacificBoy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_H View Post
But to have a rookie Superman with a fully matured Batman just sounds unappealing to me. I don't want Batman schooling Superman in what is supposedly his own sequel.
Yeah, feel the same. So the only way for them to stand as equals will be two superheroes finding their feet? A World's Finest - Year One?

Old 07-21-2013, 03:23 AM   #21
Liam_H
Side-Kick

I don't trust Snyder/Goyer to be able to balance such a story out considering all the things they have to address.

Spill

Old 07-21-2013, 03:26 AM   #22
Skrilla31
Side-Kick

Quote:
Underwhelming response? Some vocal haters tried to shout down the best Superman film ever made. Thats all. 7.7 IMDB (way above any other Superman film on IMDB and the IMDB userbase is this film's target audience), 77% RT audience approval with a 8.0 score, and an A- cinemascore. I've read alot of the rotten tomato critic reviews. Sounds like a bunch of sour grapes. 'Not Joyful enough' 'no humor'. And their reaction to Superman using his strength for anything other then stopping and lifting heavy things that are about to fall on people
Oh well I guess I'll shut my mouth then. The IMDB user base has spoken guys. I guess Man Of Steel was an awesome movie and there's just no arguments about it.

If you really liked the movie, shouldn't that be enough? Why do you feel the need to cite other people's opinions? Who cares what other people think. I thought the film was an absolute mess and you thought it was the best Superman movie ever made. That's it. The movie currently has a lower audience rating on RT than the first Transformers movie. You wanna know what that means? Absolutely nothing. Who cares.

If you wanna pretend the response to Man Of Steel was just overwhelmingly positive, and that it performed as well as WB had originally hoped... well you certainly have that right.

Quote:
You may call it scared, I call it making a good thing better. Batman has to be rebooted at some point in time to fit into the new Justice League universe. Instead of putting the audience through another excruciating origin tale, throw him in there with Superman. Let them grow up together, the universe will feel more real because of it.
Okay, so don't tell an origin tale?

For someone who claims Man Of Steel was the best Superman movie ever made, I'm at amazed at how open you are to the idea of just completely bastardizing the story by shoehorning Batman into the narrative. That is about the furthest thing from a natural progression there is. Because as we all know, the single most important thing in telling Superman's story is Batman. Yup, there was just no other narrative direction for the sequel to go. No. Other. Way. His relationship with Lois, his first encounter with Lex, his ongoing mission to ultimately win humanity's trust...

But nah. Let's see if we could squeeze enough room for a Superman/Batman adventure. That's the most important thing.

Quote:
I actually believe the universe will feel more connected with teammup films as well as solo movies, instead of what Marvel is doing where everyone goes there own way for 3 years before deciding to team up again for a single movie.
Except the key figures in the Avengers were all introduced in their own solo movies and it built to a climax which was Avengers. Meanwhile - if news of a Flash movie is correct - Justice League is gonna kick off after only introducing half the roster over the span of THREE movies! Lol. Hey, who needs build up? In fact while we're at it, let's just toss Wonder Woman into the Flash movie! Why not? It saves everyone the trouble. It won't feel rushed at all!

This is all so obviously a desperate attempt to kick things off and catch up in the race against Marvel. Nothing more. They were hoping back in 2011 that Green Lantern could have been that spark. It failed. Then they pinned their hopes on Man Of Steel. It failed. How do we know? Because in the week leading up to the release before it got torn to shreds, there were talks about fast tracking the sequel. And there was absolutely no mention of Batman whatsoever.

They got scared. Pure and simple.

Skrilla31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:30 AM   #23
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:

agree! !!
And I want MOS2 first!!
There is more than enough storylines for MOS2 to develop, ie: his relationship with Lois, his first encounter with Lex, his ongoing mission to ultimately win humanity's trust...

And most of all, I don't want batman to steal the thunders!!!

Last edited by sf2; 07-21-2013 at 03:37 AM.
sf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:31 AM   #24
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Well at least Snyder has the chance of now joining the Salkinds in the list of people who have created and destroyed Superman in the same time; kind of like the NWO of wrestling to Superman's franchise.lol

Old 07-21-2013, 03:50 AM   #25
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Quote:
Let me remind you, Captain America was not established, he just woke up in the present day world towards the end scene of his movie. Thor was not established, he went back to Asgard before the rest of the world reacted to his presence on Earth.

*\S/T*
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote