World's Finest 49 36.84%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-26-2013, 03:37 AM   #176
kedrell
I see what you did there

Default Re: Age of Ultron or World's Finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Marvel View Post
Outgross Avengers 2? Some are saying it'll be the highest grossing film OF ALL TIME!!! Go upthread a bit to a video posted and you'll see a guy on it making a prediction that it'll outgross Avengers, Titanic, and Avatar, and become a $3 billion movie.
I sorta like John Campea but he's out to lunch on this one.

I have an inner child. Not an inner teenager.
kedrell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:41 AM   #177
kedrell
I see what you did there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Surfer View Post
Yeah a more deserving match up should be DoFP VS WF. AoU is on a next level.
I agree. AoU's only real challenger is Ep.7 and even then AoU isn't the underdog in that fight.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:54 AM   #178
SilentWarriorZ
lemonidas

One tough choice but I think WF could nail what Mos Didn't

As far as DOFP goes it depends on how GA will response to its ratings .

SilentWarriorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:12 AM   #179
The Chris
TDK Trilogy Forever!

If it was Bale's Batman teaming up with Cavill's Superman I would pick World's Finest in a heartbeat, but it's not. Not only am I not ready to see a new Batman after the trilogy just ended, I'm not interested in seeing a new batman at all. I'm a batman fan who doesn't need to see yet another actor playing him. What is this, 6 now? I got the guy I wanted and am completely satisfied with what i've been given in the last eight years so really, I'm not as excited for this movie as I would have been years ago. Also I was more interested in seeing a MOS sequel more.

Avengers 2 doesn't have that problem. It's following not only a great first installment but an Iron Man film that I really enjoyed, and Robert Downey Jr. is returning, so just having a sense of continuity leaves it head and shoulders over WF. PLus Whedon just knows what he's doing, Marvel studios in general I think know what they're doing creatively.

4. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
5. Guardians of the Galaxy
The Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:49 AM   #180
Captain Marvel
SHAZAM!

I'm ready for a new Batman, but I would've liked it better if that Batman had been introduced into his own movie first before jumping into a World's Finest movie. If it'd been up to me it would've gone:

2013 Man of Steel
2014 Batman Reboot
2015/2016 World's Finest

Establish both the new Superman and new Batman and their own worlds and THEN bring them together, but instead WF will have to do the job of introducing the new Batman, which has me worried that Superman will get shortshrift in order to introduce the new Batman, which'll leave him shafted on the closest thing he's got to a sequel.

Captain Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:15 PM   #181
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
After IM2's performance and after TDK redefined the numbers game post Spiderman, Avengers was thought my many to not have a strong chance at out grossing TDKR. Go listen to that movie moan podcast if you want an example of this..

I just think it's impossible to say anything with any certainty these days, only thing you can do after the fact is kick yourself for not seeing it starring you in the face the entire time. Avengers was a collection of Blist starts Marvel couldn't sell off, Worlds Finest is something different.

Yeah a bunch of B-listers, only Iron Man1 who was relatively unknown pretty much blew MoS out of the water when it came to tickets sold and adjusting for 3D and inflation. Even IM2 made far more and MoS adjusted barely made more domestically than Superman Returns, it did very well internationally otherwise it may not have had a sequel green lit.

The Avengers brand was sold to the public over 4 years and that's what made it a success.

As someone said, if Bale were coming back we'd be talking about something astronomical, we don't even know if we'll like the new actor playing Batman, and the response to MoS is tepid at best.

"I'm going to show you something beautiful. Everyone screaming, for mercy. You want to protect the world, but you don't want it to change. You're all puppets tangled in strings.......strings....... but now I'm free. There are no strings on me."

- Ultron V
Tony Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:43 PM   #182
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
I sorta like John Campea but he's out to lunch on this one.
I agree. But then again, stranger things have happened.....

Old 07-26-2013, 11:10 PM   #183
ares834
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
As someone said, if Bale were coming back we'd be talking about something astronomical, we don't even know if we'll like the new actor playing Batman, and the response to MoS is tepid at best.
Yes, which is why it has a 7.7 on IMDB and made over 600 mill...

ares834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:12 PM   #184
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

World's Finest (Superman vs Batman, sorry) has no chance of having extensive legs if it is as emotionally sterile, mechanical and dreary as MOS was. Casuals don't go back to see a movie for that. Casuals make repeat viewings if the film has entertaining levity and a palpable emotional connection. The streamlined narrative of the Avengers told in a brisk, entertaining way in conjunction to its well placed humor. the visual splendor of Avatar as well as its familiar and simple, but very effective narrative and novel incorporation of stereoscopic 3D made people revisit those films over and over again. Can dear Zach Snyder provide audiences with an experience like that? I wouldn't bet on it.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Tacit Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:47 PM   #185
kedrell
I see what you did there

Quote:
Originally Posted by ares834 View Post
IMDB is meaningless. It's infested with fanboys.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:47 AM   #186
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacit Ronin View Post
World's Finest (Superman vs Batman, sorry) has no chance of having extensive legs if it is as emotionally sterile, mechanical and dreary as MOS was. Casuals don't go back to see a movie for that. Casuals make repeat viewings if the film has entertaining levity and a palpable emotional connection. The streamlined narrative of the Avengers told in a brisk, entertaining way in conjunction to its well placed humor. the visual splendor of Avatar as well as its familiar and simple, but very effective narrative and novel incorporation of stereoscopic 3D made people revisit those films over and over again. Can dear Zach Snyder provide audiences with an experience like that? I wouldn't bet on it.
People were seeing Avatar for the 3D, special effects, and Cameron. It sure as hell wasn't some "effective narrative". There was a lot of mystery and hype around the film at the time because of its technical achievements. But you've touched on that.

Last edited by ThePowerCosmic; 07-27-2013 at 12:54 AM.
ThePowerCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:18 AM   #187
SilentWarriorZ
lemonidas

only if Nolan films were made into 3D they would have crossed the mark blowing other movies to hell .

SilentWarriorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:30 AM   #188
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
I agree. AoU's only real challenger is Ep.7 and even then AoU isn't the underdog in that fight.
I'm a Marvelphile but come on. It's Superman and Batman in the same film. This is on the same level of Avengers and Star Wars VII. DOFP isn't even close to being a fair comparison.

Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:03 PM   #189
TheSpectacular
Christian and proud

The whole Tony Stark creating Ultron instead of Pym kinda ruins AoU for me along with that fact that I wasn't a big fan of The Avengers. Meanwhile I LOVED Man of Steel.

Guardians of the Galaxy- 4/10
TheSpectacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:08 PM   #190
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ares834 View Post
If Stark's posts weren't tinged with Marvel bias, I'd be inclined to agree with him.

The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:17 PM   #191
kedrell
I see what you did there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
I'm a Marvelphile but come on. It's Superman and Batman in the same film. This is on the same level of Avengers and Star Wars VII. DOFP isn't even close to being a fair comparison.
If this was Bale's Batman then I'd agree but it ain't. It hasn't been built up over a half decade the way the Avengers was. It wasn't even teased at all in MoS(satellite that nobody in the GA caught simply doesn't count as it's just an easter egg). There was no Nick Fury at the end of IM1 equivalent moment in MoS. Star Wars is well, Star Wars. No comic book franchise is or likely will ever be as ingrained in pop movie culture as Star Wars. And I say that as someone who doesn't care one way or the other about SW. Space/sci-fi stuff ain't my bag. But we also must factor that SW is coming off the horrible(yet highly successful) prequels and TA2 is coming off the phenomenon that was TA1. Anyway you slice it I gotta put TA2 as the front runner in this match up. Nothing else has it's momentum and releasing a MCU film every 6 months for the next year and a half will only benefit TA2 even more.

DOFP just got a real shot in the arm with the end credits scene in TW. All BatmanvsSuperman has is an announcement from a studio with a very shakey track record.

Old 07-27-2013, 02:24 PM   #192
Captain Marvel
SHAZAM!

Episode VII will definitely be a phenomenon. The prequel trilogy made ridiculous amounts of money, and they were terrible. How much more successful would Episode VII be with a director like JJ Abrams at the helm and a screenplay by an academy award winner? Not to mention that Episode VII will likely feature the return of Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Princess Leia, and Chewbacca. There is no underestimating how huge that is. It's a sequel which fans have waited 32 years for! There's no way it won't be huge. Even bigger than the biggest of the prequel trilogy.

As for World's Finest, agreed. If it were Christian Bale's Batman then that'd be one thing, but it's not. It's an all-new Batman. And that Batman won't even be introduced in his own movie. His first appearance will be in a team-up movie. There's a part of me that can't help but see that as really terrible. Rather than the new Batman getting a proper introduction or the new Superman getting a proper sequel they're both getting shafted in one way or another. I'm not terribly confident about the final product.

Old 07-27-2013, 03:07 PM   #193
BlackMagicWolf
He who is BlackMagic

I don't know this is an interesting idea that I think might work. If you think about it in one way or the other we already know who Batman is. Superman more or less hasn't been as active as Batman has. We needed Man of Steel to show him off to the next generation, because of The Dark Knight Trilogy everyone knows who Batman is so we don't need as much.

If this film does what I think it does it'll develop Batman from both our point of view and Superman's which will be very interesting. It'll be a new take on Batman and then when he does get his own movies (which I have my own ideas on what they should be about) we can skip an origin move as we've already had it with World's Finest then Justice League.

I think it'll be fine, I'm more worried about Age of Ultron.

Check it out! Then check out our Facebook page! Also, we're on Twitter! @Guardians_Comic
BlackMagicWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:06 PM   #194
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
If this was Bale's Batman then I'd agree but it ain't. It hasn't been built up over a half decade the way the Avengers was. It wasn't even teased at all in MoS(satellite that nobody in the GA caught simply doesn't count as it's just an easter egg). There was no Nick Fury at the end of IM1 equivalent moment in MoS. Star Wars is well, Star Wars. No comic book franchise is or likely will ever be as ingrained in pop movie culture as Star Wars. And I say that as someone who doesn't care one way or the other about SW. Space/sci-fi stuff ain't my bag. But we also must factor that SW is coming off the horrible(yet highly successful) prequels and TA2 is coming off the phenomenon that was TA1. Anyway you slice it I gotta put TA2 as the front runner in this match up. Nothing else has it's momentum and releasing a MCU film every 6 months for the next year and a half will only benefit TA2 even more.

DOFP just got a real shot in the arm with the end credits scene in TW. All BatmanvsSuperman has is an announcement from a studio with a very shakey track record.
It doesn't need to be built up to be successful. It's Batman and Superman in the same movie. If there were ever a poster child for the phrase "nuff said", that would be it. In fact, in the marketing they should just have "Batman and Superman. In the same movie. Nuff said."

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMagicWolf View Post
I don't know this is an interesting idea that I think might work. If you think about it in one way or the other we already know who Batman is. Superman more or less hasn't been as active as Batman has. We needed Man of Steel to show him off to the next generation, because of The Dark Knight Trilogy everyone knows who Batman is so we don't need as much.

If this film does what I think it does it'll develop Batman from both our point of view and Superman's which will be very interesting. It'll be a new take on Batman and then when he does get his own movies (which I have my own ideas on what they should be about) we can skip an origin move as we've already had it with World's Finest then Justice League.

I think it'll be fine, I'm more worried about Age of Ultron.
You're worried about Age of Ultron, which has Joss Whedon and tons of backstory and existing characters to it, as opposed to Batman/Superman...which has Snyder and Goyer at the helm trying to introduce a new Batman in a Superman movie. Does not compute.

EDIT: Just read the article you posted. It's short sighted and ignorant.

>not muh comics
>same title as comic means it will be like it
>they need to rush Thanos out because he was in Avengers

That was just bad.

Last edited by Mr. Dent; 07-27-2013 at 04:10 PM.
Old 07-27-2013, 04:19 PM   #195
Nathan

World's Finest. Simply because I have waited for this for years.

Old 07-27-2013, 05:50 PM   #196
Captain Marvel
SHAZAM!

Yeah, that article was pretty bad. The guy doesn't seem to understand that they just took the name from the recent crossover, and aren't actually adapting it to film. And honestly, I'll never understand people who seriously thought that Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet would be done in Avengers 2.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:30 PM   #197
Mr. Dent
Banned User

I can understand Thanos in general, since it wasn't long ago that I also thought they'd use Thanos in A2 (that was before Joss pretty much said they wouldn't) but definitely not the Infinity Gauntlet.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:25 PM   #198
DorneyDave
Side-Kick

World's Finest by a wide margin.

It's Batman and Superman. I loved Man of Steel. I'm fully on board.

DorneyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:43 PM   #199
Travesty
TEOL

I would say I'm pretty equal with excitement. I absolutely loved The Avengers, but at the same time, I'm a total Batman fan. Anytime Batman is involved, I'll be excited. And while I liked MOS, I didn't love it as much as TA, so again, I'm pretty much equal here, and it's only got to do with a new Batman. If this was just MOS2, I would easily say TA without a doubt.

Travesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:27 PM   #200
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
People were seeing Avatar for the 3D, special effects, and Cameron. It sure as hell wasn't some "effective narrative". There was a lot of mystery and hype around the film at the time because of its technical achievements. But you've touched on that.
Oh, the narrative was very, very effective. You can choose to disbelieve it, but a film doesn't get close to three billion world wide with empty flatulence. It was a simple and derivative narrative, it was nonetheless effective because James Cameron is an absolute master at taking the most conventional of tropes and infusing them with heft, gravity and emotional connection; even in his lesser works such as in Avatar.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Tacit Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote