The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

View Poll Results: How do you rate the costumes?!
Amazing! Best Costumes yet! 5 7.25%
Really good, it really suits the film, I'm happy! 47 68.12%
They are o.k...Prefer the old ones though! 4 5.80%
Meh?! Where is the yellow spandex? 3 4.35%
Hideous!! 3 4.35%
undecided/don't care/other 7 10.14%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-04-2013, 05:29 AM   #76
xDOFPx
Side-Kick

Default Re: Costume debate!!

With them not being a proper team, I don't think they do want them all uniform. Just some of them. The new mutants stand out like a sore thumb. Rogue doesn't so much compared to them.

xDOFPx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:14 PM   #77
Mars123
Side-Kick

Oooo that is good point, it could show how disjointed things have become.

Mars123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:38 PM   #78
xDOFPx
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars123 View Post
Oooo that is good point, it could show how disjointed things have become.
Singer did say the team is shattered these days, so it makes sense all their suits don't match exactly. And Rogue's and the new mutants don't match at all. They've all come together because they had to, not because they're actual X-Men anymore.

Having Rogue not having a suit actually illustrates that she isn't part of the core anymore. That she's had a separate life for however long. And it reminds us she was a prisoner (seemingly). Bobby matches more with Kitty now, and him and Rogue have no matching style. It's symbolic and practical to the plot.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:14 PM   #79
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Flash news, this is the costume debate thread after all. This is the thread where we can post our thoughts and debate things about the costumes in the film. Its not like this thread is for Rogue and all we talk about is her costume.

EDiT: And I just think its really extremely rude to tell posters what to talk about and tell posters to stop talking about a certain topic because it is beyond boring. Seriously grow up, Specter313.
First, it's newsflash. Second, getting all nitpicky like "we only saw her neck, there's no way to tell!" when it's clearly the same outfit from the only two times we see her, is ridiculous and petty. Like I said, you want to discuss the costumes as a whole, fine, but saying stuff like Rogue has to get a costume change or else it will be a waste is petty and nitpicky, no matter how you want to dress it up.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #80
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique'sbooty View Post
Why can't Halle look this Godly again.
Truly Nubian Goddess worthy!

They were stupid to add bangs

I agree M-BOOTY.

The potential was always there for Halle to at least look like a realistic Storm. They clearly were following the comics for inspiration in X1, so they were on the right track. Then--for whatever stupid-ass reason--they decided to Americanize her big time (which caused the drop of accent and introduced the Soccer-Mom look hairstyles) and I believe a lot got lost in the translation.

When I saw Storm ride the winds out of that Statue Of Liberty elevator, I remember thinking "OMG, that's Storm!" Now, all I see is Halle Berry in a white wig. It's sad.

Lightning Strykez! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:59 PM   #81
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Jeez, first Mystique's Leg, not Mytsique's Booty. What's next Mystique's Right Titty?

Old 11-04-2013, 08:17 PM   #82
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDOFPx View Post
The new mutants stand out like a sore thumb.
No they don't. Their costumes are mostly black. Of course not every detail is similar to the other costume, but if this was a collection for a fashion show, it looks like they came from 1 cohesive collection.

"Don't ever do that again" - X3
"They'll find us they'll always do" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:25 PM   #83
xDOFPx
Side-Kick

They don't match at all. Only Bishop is in black. He looks similar to the X-Men. Blink and Sunspot are in a darker shade but it's not black and they have more colour. Warpath as well.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:33 PM   #84
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Quote:
They don't match at all. Only Bishop is in black. He looks similar to the X-Men. Blink and Sunspot are in a darker shade but it's not black and they have more colour. Warpath as well.
Well, it should be clear by now with how Singer has described them that was done for a reason. They're not a team and not X-Men, they're just a band of survivors trying to live in this world where they could be hunted down and killed at any moment by Sentinels. Coordinating their outfits is likely the last thing on their minds.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:34 PM   #85
xDOFPx
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specter313 View Post
Well, it should be clear by now with how Singer has described them that was done for a reason. They're not a team and not X-Men, they're just a band of survivors trying to live in this world where they could be hunted down and killed at any moment by Sentinels. Coordinating their outfits is likely the last thing on their minds.
Which has been my point all along

Old 11-04-2013, 09:37 PM   #86
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Quote:
Which has been my point all along
Yeah, even when the director himself explains something, people still don't want to listen I guess, huh.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:32 PM   #87
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

And yet the looks of costumes of Wolverine, Storm, Magneto, Professor X, etc... looks so similar. This is not even about X-Men having costumes, its about mutants from the future having the same style of costumes.

If you don't think the costume designer didn't think about that, we would be seeing Storm wearing a white ensemble, Wolverine in his daily clothes, Professor X in a suit, etc....

Old 11-05-2013, 05:39 AM   #88
xDOFPx
Side-Kick

Quote:
And yet the looks of costumes of Wolverine, Storm, Magneto, Professor X, etc... looks so similar. This is not even about X-Men having costumes, its about mutants from the future having the same style of costumes.

If you don't think the costume designer didn't think about that, we would be seeing Storm wearing a white ensemble, Wolverine in his daily clothes, Professor X in a suit, etc....
That is to illustrate that Professor X, Magneto, Wolverine, Storm, Colossus, Iceman and Kitty are an unofficial form of the X-Men these days. Plus the suits are good for combat.

The new mutants and Rogue having different costumes shows that they're working with the others not because they're unofficial X-Men but because they have to for survival. They aren't part of the core. Rogue may not have been an official or unofficial X-Men member since she got the cure in X3. We don't know. We only know it's looking almost certain she's been away from them for a period of time. Whether in the mutant internment camp or even before that. She has a jumpsuit because it shows where her character has been and it makes sense to the plot. With the limited amount of time she has in the story I doubt she changes clothes. But we'll see.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:06 PM   #89
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
That is to illustrate that Professor X, Magneto, Wolverine, Storm, Colossus, Iceman and Kitty are an unofficial form of the X-Men these days. Plus the suits are good for combat.

The new mutants and Rogue having different costumes shows that they're working with the others not because they're unofficial X-Men but because they have to for survival. They aren't part of the core. Rogue may not have been an official or unofficial X-Men member since she got the cure in X3. We don't know. We only know it's looking almost certain she's been away from them for a period of time. Whether in the mutant internment camp or even before that. She has a jumpsuit because it shows where her character has been and it makes sense to the plot. With the limited amount of time she has in the story I doubt she changes clothes. But we'll see.
Really? Do Magneto really need a cape, it does not even look magnetic.

Obviously these costumes are made for style and so these mutants would look more visually appealing.

If they are mutants in real life, do you think they will wear outfits like the X-Men are wearing? Obviously not.

Old 11-06-2013, 02:19 PM   #90
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Magnetos costume is like 90% accurate and looks awesome. With some people (not here just in general) the costumes even if 100% accuracte will never be good enough for them.

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #91
xDOFPx
Side-Kick

Quote:
Really? Do Magneto really need a cape, it does not even look magnetic.

Obviously these costumes are made for style and so these mutants would look more visually appealing.

If they are mutants in real life, do you think they will wear outfits like the X-Men are wearing? Obviously not.
They're more suitable in a combat situation that brightly coloured suits

They have an air of SWAT team apparel.

Old 11-06-2013, 02:42 PM   #92
xDOFPx
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsWasRight View Post
Magnetos costume is like 90% accurate and looks awesome. With some people (not here just in general) the costumes even if 100% accuracte will never be good enough for them.
I think he looks really good. I have no complaints about the costumes so far.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:40 PM   #93
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
They're more suitable in a combat situation that brightly coloured suits

They have an air of SWAT team apparel.
But still they wouldn't use costumes like what these characters are wearing in the movie.

This movie is pure fiction, if they want a character to suddenly have a costume, they can do it right away without giving much explanation to it. 70s Magneto has a new costume, whats your explanation for that? Whats your explanation for Magneto suddenly appearing at the end of First Class with cape and a newly painted helmet? So your reasoning of "Rogue doesn't wear armored up because they have no time for that and they are in the middle of the war" "they are no X-Men, therefore its not really necessary for them to look uniform" don't really make sense.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:57 PM   #94
xDOFPx
Side-Kick

They had access to those costume's. Rogue is very unlikely to have access to a black suit that would fit. We've seen she is still wearing the jumpsuit in the temple. She probably doesn't get changed. There is no reason for her to. Not unless the gloves aren't detachable and then she would have to change into something that would leave her hands free. She'll need that to absorb from Kitty and to use her powers on Wolverine.

But we have no evidence she has a black suit at any point. And it's not a big deal if she doesn't. It's not like they're classic Rogue attire, so I don't see why it matters if she doesn't match. She's had a different path to the others in recent times, if not over the last decade. I really don't care if she stays in the jumpsuit. It looks fine. If she changes, I'm fine with that as well. So long as she gets good scenes she could wear a nappy for all I care.

If there is an end altered future scene I expect we'll see her in something different then.

Last edited by xDOFPx; 11-06-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:26 PM   #95
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Yeah because they have to order a costume from a special clothing company first before Rogue gets her costume and that will take 1 week.

Again, if they want these characters to wear certain costumes, they will do it.

And yes, its not that a big deal if she doesn't have a costume similar to the other mutants. But I'm just saying that, visually, it would be better if she/Shadowcat has a costume similar to the other mutants so they would look cohesive and more appealing. I don't know why you argued with that in the first place and brought up this "they don't have time for giving Rogue a new costume because they are in the middle of the war" non-sense.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:18 PM   #96
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Quote:
Yeah because they have to order a costume from a special clothing company first before Rogue gets her costume and that will take 1 week.

And yes, its not that a big deal if she doesn't have a costume similar to the other mutants. But I'm just saying that, visually, it would be better if she/Shadowcat has a costume similar to the other mutants so they would look cohesive and more appealing. I don't know why you argued with that in the first place and brought up this "they don't have time for giving Rogue a new costume because they are in the middle of the war" non-sense.
"Rogue, we're breaking you out of this prison camp because we're in the middle of a plan to change the past that will hopefully fix everything and it involves Kitty using her power on Logan, but she's fading and we need you to take her power and finish the mission. But before we can let you do it, you have to change your clothes so you look more cohesive with the rest of us."

And don't give this "it's fiction, they can do what they want" nonsense. Any writer, director, etc. will tell you that, even when doing fiction, you have to make and follow rules to the world you're building, because if you don't, it won't work. Singer has even said something along those lines during the course of making this film. With the world that Singer has created, from the very first film, brightly colored costumes, will not work, and with how this dysotopian future is being presented, forcing everyone to look cohesive when they're just scraping to get by, doesn't either. That is a fact.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:23 PM   #97
xDOFPx
Side-Kick

Quote:

But it doesn't make sense for her to change clothes unless it's necesssary to the plot. That's why I brought it up.

Kitty does some somewhat similar to the others. Rogue doesn't because she hasn't been around them. It's plot dictated and that is why I have no problem with her being in the jumpsuit for her scenes.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:30 PM   #98
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique'sbooty View Post
Why can't Halle look this Godly again.
Truly Nubian Goddess worthy!

They were stupid to add bangs

This hair is....not great. The length and color are perfect but the styling is just all wrong. It makes her look like a grandma, plus it just looks outdated.

I personally loved Storm's hair in X3, it was cute, stylish, modern and fit her face. If they are going to go with a longer cut it needs to be styled significantly better than above.

SuperT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:37 PM   #99
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
But it doesn't make sense for her to change clothes unless it's necesssary to the plot. That's why I brought it up.

Kitty does some somewhat similar to the others. Rogue doesn't because she hasn't been around them. It's plot dictated and that is why I have no problem with her being in the jumpsuit for her scenes.
Whatever you want to say xDOFPx. They don't have to be with the rest of the mutants for a long time to get a costume. Wolverine was very new to the X-Men and he was given a uniform/costume when they saved Rogue in Liberty City.

They are armor up when they are in battlefield or they wear it since its a sign that they are official members of the team but since there's no X-Men in this movie, we could scratch that one.

If you think Rogue and Shadowcat won't join the action/fight Sentinels and they would just be guarding Wolverine's body or help Wolverine with something else, then sure, it makes why Shadowcat is wearing casual clothes and Rogue is still in prison clothes. But visually, like I said in my 1st post before I started arguing with you, its really much better, if we see Rogue and Shadowcat have a costume similar to Storm, Prof X, Magneto, etc. even if they aren't in the battle field. They don't have to make much sense, people could just see it "the rest are wearing armor black suits, and Rogue/Shadowcat just went along with the group".

Old 11-06-2013, 10:52 PM   #100
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

So what was the explanation for psycho Jean suddenly wearling a red costume in X3?

EnDz0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote