The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 01:19 PM   #251
roach
I am the night

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

James Cameron laughs at both DC and Marvel.

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in today’s protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You don’t like a story? That’s fine – don’t read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 07-22-2013, 01:36 PM   #252
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

James Cameron laughs at everyone. He's James Cameron

Old 07-22-2013, 01:40 PM   #253
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorKon-El View Post
Why yes they are.

The endless dick measuring between marvel and dc fanboys is really getting insufferable.
Marvel is in competition with Marvel. WB is in competition with WB.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Old 07-22-2013, 01:43 PM   #254
PacificBoy
Side-Kick

Any moment now James Cameron will announce the Evangelion live action for 2015. Because he's goddamn James Cameron.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:54 PM   #255
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho01 View Post
Marvel is in competition with Marvel. WB is in competition with WB.
It's cool you think that. We have differing opinions. It's fine.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:12 PM   #256
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
It's cool you think that. We have differing opinions. It's fine.
That's really the situation for any studio and whatever film they release. If they really wanted to compete with other studios, they'd release the same type of films on the same exact dates, which of course is dumb.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

Old 07-22-2013, 02:19 PM   #257
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Quote:
For anyone interested in Film Critic Hulk's additional thought on MOS...

A FEW CLARIFICATIONS ON HULK’S MAN OF STEEL ARTICLE
Oh my God this article and the one it's talking about are beautiful.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 07-22-2013, 02:35 PM   #258
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

I'm sorry, but I can't take anyone seriously when they type in all caps and talk in third person.
But maybe that's just me and my small-mindedness
Anywho

Last edited by ConnorKon-El; 07-22-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:35 PM   #259
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
That's really the situation for any studio and whatever film they release. If they really wanted to compete with other studios, they'd release the same type of films on the same exact dates, which of course is dumb.
Ok.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:59 PM   #260
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Another interesting article...

"Something to Strive For": Why We Don't Need a "Relatable" Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Question View Post
Oh my God this article and the one it's talking about are beautiful.
He really knows his stuff and articulates his thoughts well.

Quote:
Ok.
Yeah, it's just that some don't really understand it's simply businesses selling products and wanting to make the most profit possible. Sure they may copy each other and sell the same products, but they don't want to sell them at the same exact time to help make more money.

"

Old 07-22-2013, 03:07 PM   #261
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
Another interesting article...

"Something to Strive For": Why We Don't Need a "Relatable" Superman

He really knows his stuff and articulates his thoughts well.

Yeah, it's just that some don't really understand it's simply businesses selling products and wanting to make the most profit possible. Sure they may copy each other and sell the same products, but they don't want to sell them at the same exact time to help make more money.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:11 PM   #262
J.Howlett

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlawlessVictory View Post
Yup. Look at how many years WB/DC sat on GL, Flash, WW and JL without doing a damn thing with them. It took Marvel making Iron Man and The Avengers etc..for WB/DC to finally decide to give us something outside of Batman and Superman.

WB/DC has been all about reacting. They are incapable of setting up their own plan and sticking with it. Again, Marvel = playing chess, WB/DC = playing checkers.
I shake my head at this because it seems that it's either shared universe with thousands of franchises or nothing for fans of these characters...and to me, that's just plain stupid to think that way.

DC delivers the greatest trilogy of this genre and because it's not part of a shared universe, for some, it doesn't count.

I just don't understand...

Old 07-22-2013, 03:15 PM   #263
FlawlessVictory
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Howlett View Post
I shake my head at this because it seems that it's either shared universe with thousands of franchises or nothing for fans of these characters...and to me, that's just plain stupid to think that way.

DC delivers the greatest trilogy of this genre and because it's not part of a shared universe, for some, it doesn't count.

I just don't understand...
It counts. But lets face it if Marvel never did Iron Man, WB would have never even attempted GL. If Marvel didn't dominate with The Avengers then WB would have never done a build up to JL. If it wasn't for Marvel, we would just be getting Batman and Superman movies for the rest of our lives. It wasn't until Marvel showed what can be done with other characters that WB decided to care about theirs as well.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:18 PM   #264
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
I'm sure Jerry would agree.

"

Old 07-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #265
Rowsdower!
THE WALL

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I can't take anyone seriously when they type in all caps and talk in third person.
But maybe that's just me and my small-mindedness
Anywho

No, but see, it's beautiful because it rips MOS apart. Every snarky, cynical, predominantly negative review of MOS is brilliant and enlightening, don'tcha know.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #266
FlawlessVictory
Side-Kick

Whatever happened to Jerry's MOS review? I guess he must have really hated it.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #267
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Wasn't WB/DC prepping a shared universe right around SR?

Old 07-22-2013, 03:21 PM   #268
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
Whatever happened to Jerry's MOS review? I guess he must have really hated it.
Lmao right ? He promised his thoughts and we never got them.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:22 PM   #269
J.Howlett

Quote:
It counts. But lets face it if Marvel never did Iron Man, WB would have never even attempted GL. If Marvel didn't dominate with The Avengers then WB would have never done a build up to JL. If it wasn't for Marvel, we would just be getting Batman and Superman movies for the rest of our lives. It wasn't until Marvel showed what can be done with other characters that WB decided to care about theirs as well.
I don't think it has anything to do with not caring, their characters are a lot more trickier than Marvel's. It's really that simple.

On top of that, they are a major studio that isn't beholden to just doing comic book movies. Christ, they made a small franchise out of Clash of the Titans and Sherlock Holmes. They have so many other options than just comic book movies.

Marvel Studios' has no choice in the matter because they only exist to produce said movies. WB doesn't. Sony is only doing Spider-Man because if they don't, they lose the rights and they have nothing. Let's not act like they're doing Spider-Man films because of the love of the character. It's all about keeping that gravy train going called money for Sony. Same thing with Fox and X-Men.

Sony and Fox have no other franchises. None. WB, over this last decade and some change, have had at least 4 or 5 franchises that have nothing to do with comic books.

I don't care about who gets it done first. I can about who does the best work. And yeah, maybe it's been only Batman and Superman and a whole bunch of one off films based on graphic novels, but WB's films are just flat more ambitious that what Marvel has even attempted.

The only, only ambitious film Marvel has ever done that's not named Avengers was Lee's Hulk and maybe X2. That's it. It's been a assembly line filmmaking from day one. The few times WB did assembly line filmmaking, we got Jonah Hex, the Losers, Catwoman, and Green Lantern, which I still like.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #270
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
No, but see, it's beautiful because it rips MOS apart. Every snarky, cynical, predominantly negative review of MOS is brilliant and enlightening, don'tcha know.
Yeah, because it couldn't possibly be that I actually thought the articles were really insightful and said a lot of useful and meaningful things about movie making.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 07-22-2013, 03:26 PM   #271
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Quote:
Lmao right ? He promised his thoughts and we never got them.
He let us down, just like with the Seinfeld finale.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:27 PM   #272
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
I don't have a problem that Film Crit Hulk didn't like MOS. I just have a problem in general with the way he articulates his articles. I've read a few of his past articles and he always has good arguments sprinkled throughout his essays but ultimately they don't mesh together nor do they have any weight because any credibility he tries to form ultimately is taken away with
Quote:
HULK JUST WANTS YOU TO UNDERSTAND ONE IMPORTANT THING:THEY ARE ALL A PART OF HULK'S PROMISE TO GET BETTER.<3 HULK
But then again people like the way he stylizes his writing and there is nothing wrong with that at all. I'm just not a fan of it and cannot take his thoughts seriously when they are expressed in that way.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:28 PM   #273
The Question

Quote:
I don't have a problem that Film Crit Hulk didn't like MOS. I just have a problem in general with the way he articulates his articles. I've read a few of his past articles and he always has good arguments sprinkled throughout his essays but ultimately they don't mesh together nor do they have any weight because any credibility he tries to form ultimately is taken away with
But then again people like the way he stylizes his writing and there is nothing wrong with that at all. I'm just not a fan of it and cannot take his thoughts seriously when they are expressed in that way.
Honestly, within the first paragraph or so I stop noticing that he writes that way.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 07-22-2013, 03:33 PM   #274
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Question View Post
Honestly, within the first paragraph or so I stop noticing that he writes that way.
Good for you. I don't. It's jarring and incredibly distracting. So distracting that I just can't take what he's writing with any seriousness.
But anyway that's just me, it's obvious people like his columns or else he wouldn't continue to write them.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:42 PM   #275
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Howlett View Post
I don't think it has anything to do with not caring, their characters are a lot more trickier than Marvel's. It's really that simple.

On top of that, they are a major studio that isn't beholden to just doing comic book movies. Christ, they made a small franchise out of Clash of the Titans and Sherlock Holmes. They have so many other options than just comic book movies.

Marvel Studios' has no choice in the matter because they only exist to produce said movies. WB doesn't. Sony is only doing Spider-Man because if they don't, they lose the rights and they have nothing. Let's not act like they're doing Spider-Man films because of the love of the character. It's all about keeping that gravy train going called money for Sony. Same thing with Fox and X-Men.

Sony and Fox have no other franchises. None. WB, over this last decade and some change, have had at least 4 or 5 franchises that have nothing to do with comic books.

I don't care about who gets it done first. I can about who does the best work. And yeah, maybe it's been only Batman and Superman and a whole bunch of one off films based on graphic novels, but WB's films are just flat more ambitious that what Marvel has even attempted.

The only, only ambitious film Marvel has ever done that's not named Avengers was Lee's Hulk and maybe X2. That's it. It's been a assembly line filmmaking from day one. The few times WB did assembly line filmmaking, we got Jonah Hex, the Losers, Catwoman, and Green Lantern, which I still like.
In your opinion.