The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2013, 01:19 PM   #251
roach
I am the night
 
roach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Under your Refrigerator
Posts: 39,595
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

James Cameron laughs at both DC and Marvel.

__________________
There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in today’s protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You don’t like a story? That’s fine – don’t read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is offline  
Old 07-22-2013, 01:36 PM   #252
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd
 
ConnorKon-El's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,548
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

James Cameron laughs at everyone. He's James Cameron

__________________
ConnorFilm
Letterboxd
ConnorKon-El is offline  
Old 07-22-2013, 01:40 PM   #253
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!
 
Lencho01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 16,016
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorKon-El View Post
Why yes they are.

The endless dick measuring between marvel and dc fanboys is really getting insufferable.
Marvel is in competition with Marvel. WB is in competition with WB.

__________________
I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline  
Old 07-22-2013, 01:43 PM   #254
PacificBoy
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,224
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Any moment now James Cameron will announce the Evangelion live action for 2015. Because he's goddamn James Cameron.

PacificBoy is offline  
Old 07-22-2013, 01:54 PM   #255
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd
 
ConnorKon-El's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,548
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho01 View Post
Marvel is in competition with Marvel. WB is in competition with WB.
It's cool you think that. We have differing opinions. It's fine.

__________________
ConnorFilm
Letterboxd
ConnorKon-El is offline  
Old 07-22-2013, 02:12 PM   #256
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!
 
Lencho01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 16,016
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorKon-El View Post
It's cool you think that. We have differing opinions. It's fine.
That's really the situation for any studio and whatever film they release. If they really wanted to compete with other studios, they'd release the same type of films on the same exact dates, which of course is dumb.

__________________
I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline  
Old 07-22-2013, 02:19 PM   #257
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.
 
The Question's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hub City
Posts: 39,890
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho01 View Post
For anyone interested in Film Critic Hulk's additional thought on MOS...

A FEW CLARIFICATIONS ON HULK’S MAN OF STEEL ARTICLE
Oh my God this article and the one it's talking about are beautiful.

__________________
This is what I have to say to everyone who has a problem with Michael B. Jordan as Johnny Storm:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
The Question is offline  
Old 07-22-2013, 02:35 PM   #258
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd
 
ConnorKon-El's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,548
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

I'm sorry, but I can't take anyone seriously when they type in all caps and talk in third person.
But maybe that's just me and my small-mindedness
Anywho

__________________
ConnorFilm
Letterboxd

Last edited by ConnorKon-El; 07-22-2013 at 02:52 PM.
ConnorKon-El is offline  
Old 07-22-2013, 02:35 PM   #259
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd
 
ConnorKon-El's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,548
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho01 View Post
That's really the situation for any studio and whatever film they release. If they really wanted to compete with other studios, they'd release the same type of films on the same exact dates, which of course is dumb.
Ok.

__________________
ConnorFilm
Letterboxd
ConnorKon-El is offline  
Old 07-22-2013, 02:59 PM   #260
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!
 
Lencho01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 16,016
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Another interesting article...

"Something to Strive For": Why We Don't Need a "Relatable" Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Question View Post
Oh my God this article and the one it's talking about are beautiful.
He really knows his stuff and articulates his thoughts well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorKon-El View Post
Ok.
Yeah, it's just that some don't really understand it's simply businesses selling products and wanting to make the most profit possible. Sure they may copy each other and sell the same products, but they don't want to sell them at the same exact time to help make more money.

__________________
I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline  
Old 07-22-2013, 03:07 PM   #261
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd
 
ConnorKon-El's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,548
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho01 View Post
Another interesting article...

"Something to Strive For": Why We Don't Need a "Relatable" Superman



He really knows his stuff and articulates his thoughts well.



Yeah, it's just that some don't really understand it's simply businesses selling products and wanting to make the most profit possible. Sure they may copy each other and sell the same products, but they don't want to sell them at the same exact time to help make more money.

__________________
ConnorFilm
Letterboxd
ConnorKon-El is offline  
Old 07-22-2013, 03:11 PM   #262
J.Howlett
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlawlessVictory View Post
Yup. Look at how many years WB/DC sat on GL, Flash, WW and JL without doing a damn thing with them. It took Marvel making Iron Man and The Avengers etc..for WB/DC to finally decide to give us something outside of Batman and Superman.

WB/DC has been all about reacting. They are incapable of setting up their own plan and sticking with it. Again, Marvel = playing chess, WB/DC = playing checkers.
I shake my head at this because it seems that it's either shared universe with thousands of franchises or nothing for fans of these characters...and to me, that's just plain stupid to think that way.

DC delivers the greatest trilogy of this genre and because it's not part of a shared universe, for some, it doesn't count.

I just don't understand...

 
Old 07-22-2013, 03:15 PM   #263
FlawlessVictory
Side-Kick
 
FlawlessVictory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,246
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Howlett View Post
I shake my head at this because it seems that it's either shared universe with thousands of franchises or nothing for fans of these characters...and to me, that's just plain stupid to think that way.

DC delivers the greatest trilogy of this genre and because it's not part of a shared universe, for some, it doesn't count.

I just don't understand...
It counts. But lets face it if Marvel never did Iron Man, WB would have never even attempted GL. If Marvel didn't dominate with The Avengers then WB would have never done a build up to JL. If it wasn't for Marvel, we would just be getting Batman and Superman movies for the rest of our lives. It wasn't until Marvel showed what can be done with other characters that WB decided to care about theirs as well.

FlawlessVictory is offline  
Old 07-22-2013, 03:18 PM   #264
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!
 
Lencho01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 16,016
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorKon-El View Post
I'm sure Jerry would agree.

__________________
I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline  
Old 07-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #265
Rowsdower!
THE WALL
 
Rowsdower!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: An undisclosed location
Posts: 17,350
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorKon-El View Post
I'm sorry, but I can't take anyone seriously when they type in all caps and talk in third person.
But maybe that's just me and my small-mindedness
Anywho

No, but see, it's beautiful because it rips MOS apart. Every snarky, cynical, predominantly negative review of MOS is brilliant and enlightening, don'tcha know.

Rowsdower! is offline  
Old 07-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #266
FlawlessVictory
Side-Kick
 
FlawlessVictory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,246
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Whatever happened to Jerry's MOS review? I guess he must have really hated it.

FlawlessVictory is offline  
Old 07-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #267
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious
 
LibidoLoca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 14,173
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Wasn't WB/DC prepping a shared universe right around SR?

__________________
BRYAN SINGER | ZACK SNYDER | JOSS WHEDON
APOCALYPSE | DAWN OF JUSTICE | AGE OF ULTRON
*\S/T*
LibidoLoca is online now  
Old 07-22-2013, 03:21 PM   #268
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd
 
ConnorKon-El's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,548
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlawlessVictory View Post
Whatever happened to Jerry's MOS review? I guess he must have really hated it.
Lmao right ? He promised his thoughts and we never got them.

__________________
ConnorFilm
Letterboxd
ConnorKon-El is offline  
Old 07-22-2013, 03:22 PM   #269
J.Howlett
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlawlessVictory View Post
It counts. But lets face it if Marvel never did Iron Man, WB would have never even attempted GL. If Marvel didn't dominate with The Avengers then WB would have never done a build up to JL. If it wasn't for Marvel, we would just be getting Batman and Superman movies for the rest of our lives. It wasn't until Marvel showed what can be done with other characters that WB decided to care about theirs as well.
I don't think it has anything to do with not caring, their characters are a lot more trickier than Marvel's. It's really that simple.

On top of that, they are a major studio that isn't beholden to just doing comic book movies. Christ, they made a small franchise out of Clash of the Titans and Sherlock Holmes. They have so many other options than just comic book movies.

Marvel Studios' has no choice in the matter because they only exist to produce said movies. WB doesn't. Sony is only doing Spider-Man because if they don't, they lose the rights and they have nothing. Let's not act like they're doing Spider-Man films because of the love of the character. It's all about keeping that gravy train going called money for Sony. Same thing with Fox and X-Men.

Sony and Fox have no other franchises. None. WB, over this last decade and some change, have had at least 4 or 5 franchises that have nothing to do with comic books.

I don't care about who gets it done first. I can about who does the best work. And yeah, maybe it's been only Batman and Superman and a whole bunch of one off films based on graphic novels, but WB's films are just flat more ambitious that what Marvel has even attempted.

The only, only ambitious film Marvel has ever done that's not named Avengers was Lee's Hulk and maybe X2. That's it. It's been a assembly line filmmaking from day one. The few times WB did assembly line filmmaking, we got Jonah Hex, the Losers, Catwoman, and Green Lantern, which I still like.

 
Old 07-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #270
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.
 
The Question's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hub City
Posts: 39,890
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
No, but see, it's beautiful because it rips MOS apart. Every snarky, cynical, predominantly negative review of MOS is brilliant and enlightening, don'tcha know.
Yeah, because it couldn't possibly be that I actually thought the articles were really insightful and said a lot of useful and meaningful things about movie making.

__________________
This is what I have to say to everyone who has a problem with Michael B. Jordan as Johnny Storm:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
The Question is offline  
Old 07-22-2013, 03:26 PM   #271
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious
 
LibidoLoca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 14,173
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorKon-El View Post
Lmao right ? He promised his thoughts and we never got them.
He let us down, just like with the Seinfeld finale.

__________________
BRYAN SINGER | ZACK SNYDER | JOSS WHEDON
APOCALYPSE | DAWN OF JUSTICE | AGE OF ULTRON
*\S/T*
LibidoLoca is online now  
Old 07-22-2013, 03:27 PM   #272
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd
 
ConnorKon-El's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,548
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
No, but see, it's beautiful because it rips MOS apart. Every snarky, cynical, predominantly negative review of MOS is brilliant and enlightening, don'tcha know.
I don't have a problem that Film Crit Hulk didn't like MOS. I just have a problem in general with the way he articulates his articles. I've read a few of his past articles and he always has good arguments sprinkled throughout his essays but ultimately they don't mesh together nor do they have any weight because any credibility he tries to form ultimately is taken away with
Quote:
HULK JUST WANTS YOU TO UNDERSTAND ONE IMPORTANT THING:THEY ARE ALL A PART OF HULK'S PROMISE TO GET BETTER.<3 HULK
But then again people like the way he stylizes his writing and there is nothing wrong with that at all. I'm just not a fan of it and cannot take his thoughts seriously when they are expressed in that way.

__________________
ConnorFilm
Letterboxd
ConnorKon-El is offline  
Old 07-22-2013, 03:28 PM   #273
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.
 
The Question's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hub City
Posts: 39,890
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorKon-El View Post
I don't have a problem that Film Crit Hulk didn't like MOS. I just have a problem in general with the way he articulates his articles. I've read a few of his past articles and he always has good arguments sprinkled throughout his essays but ultimately they don't mesh together nor do they have any weight because any credibility he tries to form ultimately is taken away with
But then again people like the way he stylizes his writing and there is nothing wrong with that at all. I'm just not a fan of it and cannot take his thoughts seriously when they are expressed in that way.
Honestly, within the first paragraph or so I stop noticing that he writes that way.

__________________
This is what I have to say to everyone who has a problem with Michael B. Jordan as Johnny Storm:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
The Question is offline  
Old 07-22-2013, 03:33 PM   #274
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd
 
ConnorKon-El's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,548
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Question View Post
Honestly, within the first paragraph or so I stop noticing that he writes that way.
Good for you. I don't. It's jarring and incredibly distracting. So distracting that I just can't take what he's writing with any seriousness.
But anyway that's just me, it's obvious people like his columns or else he wouldn't continue to write them.

__________________
ConnorFilm
Letterboxd
ConnorKon-El is offline  
Old 07-22-2013, 03:42 PM   #275
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick
 
Ms. Marvel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: S.W.O.R.D.
Posts: 2,921
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Howlett View Post
I don't think it has anything to do with not caring, their characters are a lot more trickier than Marvel's. It's really that simple.

On top of that, they are a major studio that isn't beholden to just doing comic book movies. Christ, they made a small franchise out of Clash of the Titans and Sherlock Holmes. They have so many other options than just comic book movies.

Marvel Studios' has no choice in the matter because they only exist to produce said movies. WB doesn't. Sony is only doing Spider-Man because if they don't, they lose the rights and they have nothing. Let's not act like they're doing Spider-Man films because of the love of the character. It's all about keeping that gravy train going called money for Sony. Same thing with Fox and X-Men.

Sony and Fox have no other franchises. None. WB, over this last decade and some change, have had at least 4 or 5 franchises that have nothing to do with comic books.

I don't care about who gets it done first. I can about who does the best work. And yeah, maybe it's been only Batman and Superman and a whole bunch of one off films based on graphic novels, but WB's films are just flat more ambitious that what Marvel has even attempted.

The only, only ambitious film Marvel has ever done that's not named Avengers was Lee's Hulk and maybe X2. That's it. It's been a assembly line filmmaking from day one. The few times WB did assembly line filmmaking, we got Jonah Hex, the Losers, Catwoman, and Green Lantern, which I still like.
In your opinion.

__________________
HAIL HYDRA
Ms. Marvel is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.