The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 11:43 PM   #101
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
If all people can say in response to specific scenes highlighted is "I didn't think it was done well" that is telling. How about some actual specifics. Also, Superman fighting is going to have a lot of cgi, that's inevitable (people had been complaining for over 30 years that we never really go to see him fight all out like in the comics).
I was just trying to be brief, but okay.

Quote:
Every scene with Russell Crowe was full of emotion.
The important emotional and character building scenes on Krypton went by way too fast and were overshadowed by some unnecessary action set pieces. There was nothing wrong with the action being there, but the balance was off. It didn't feel like one coherent piece about a man desperately fighting to save his world and his family as civilization literally falls apart around him in the final days of his species' existence, it went through the talk-y parts too quick and lingered on the run-y punch-y explode-y parts a little too long.

Quote:
Lara standing alone as Krypton dies around her after losing both her husband and infant son.
That was good, but we'd breezed through so much important character stuff leading up to that that I wasn't super invested by the time that shot came up.

Quote:
Faora's reaction to Krypton's destruction and Zod silently consoling her.
That was a nice character touch, but they did so little else to really define Zod and Faora as three dimensional people in the movie that it didn't add up to much.

Quote:
Zod anguish at the destruction of the codex,
That was alright, but it would have been a lot better if Zod had received more development beforehand.

Quote:
Superman's agony after having to kill Zod, etc. There was plenty of emotion in the film.
That was honestly my favorite moment in the movie. I have to give Cavill props for that.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:45 PM   #102
The Question

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville13 View Post
Maybe, but the Bob Dylan 'Time's are a-changin' opening was incredible.
Far and away the best part of the movie. It was really the perfect way to adapt all of the supplementary material at the end of each chapter. It actually got me excited for the movie, which I then hated.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:46 PM   #103
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
Sarcastic? Yes. Rude? If you took it as an insult I apologize. Really.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorKon-El View Post
Really ? Huh.
That was not the intent at all.

I guess you read it in the absolute wrong tone. My condolences if you were offended
It's cool. Being polite on the internet is hard because tone of voice isn't a thing. I've done the same thing.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:47 PM   #104
Serpico Jones
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Question View Post
Far and away the best part of the movie. It was really the perfect way to adapt all of the supplementary material at the end of each chapter. It actually got me excited for the movie, which I then hated.
What did you hate about it?

Old 07-21-2013, 11:48 PM   #105
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpico Jones View Post
What did you hate about it?
You know, with the convos that have been going on in this thread I've already been straining the definition of topic relevance. For another time and place, my friend.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:48 PM   #106
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
It's cool. Being polite on the internet is hard because tone of voice isn't a thing. I've done the same thing.
I agree.
Back to your previous post, yes I felt Cavill really sold that frustration at having to kill his own kind. I overall thought Cavill did a solid job at the role. I liked that his first lines were in defense of a girl being felt up on by a tipsy truck driver.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:50 PM   #107
Loki882
Side-Kick

Zod was perhaps the most three-dimensional character in the movie, disagree with you there. What you saw as mere action I saw as a desperate man trying to save some semblance of his civilization, protect his son, and entrust the future to him. Also, there was a civil war going on, emphasis on war. I guess you and I saw Jor-el's actions very differently. The scenes between Zod/Jor-el, Jor-el/Lara, and Zod/Lara were dripping with emotion. We just disagree about Zod's development, that's simple enough.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:50 PM   #108
The Question

Quote:
I agree.
Back to your previous post, yes I felt Cavill really sold that frustration at having to kill his own kind. I overall though Cavill did a solid job at the role. I liked that his first lines were in defense of a girl being felt up on by a tipsy truck driver.
He made for a fantastic Superman, really top notch casting.

Really, the whole cast was great, I just wish a lot of them had been given more meat. Laurence Fishburn didn't get much of a chance to Perry White it up.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:51 PM   #109
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificBoy View Post
It has begun. Cue the fan slash fiction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
lol indeed. it could also be funny to see Batman's reaction in having to be carried by Superman when he needs to carry him for flight.

Meh; In a way I kind of wish that we were going into a full blown JL film already, that way, we could have spared one of Superman's non JL outings.
You guys got the reference, right?

Old 07-21-2013, 11:52 PM   #110
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville13 View Post
You guys got the reference, right?

Yeah, I got it.lol

Man, I hope we get some more news about this before the month is up.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:54 PM   #111
PacificBoy
Side-Kick

Oh most definitely. Most definitely ha.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:55 PM   #112
The Question

Quote:
Zod was perhaps the most three-dimensional character in the movie, disagree with you there. What you saw as mere action I saw as a desperate man trying to save some semblance of his civilization, protect his son, and entrust the future to him. Also, there was a civil war going on, emphasis on war. I guess you and I saw Jor-el's actions very differently. The scenes between Zod/Jor-el, Jor-el/Lara, and Zod/Lara were dripping with emotion. We just disagree about Zod's development, that's simple enough.
All the pieces were there, I just didn't feel them. It didn't take time to get me immersed in them, it rushed through all of the necessary scenes far too fast, and so I was aware of the artifice of the piece on an emotional level right off the bat.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:57 PM   #113
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:

Really, the whole cast was great, I just wish a lot of them had been given more meat. Laurence Fishburn didn't get much of a chance to Perry White it up.
Fishburne's interactions with Adams were comic book scenes brought to life.
"Come on Perry, Im a Pulitzer-prize winning reporter." "Then act like it." "Print it or I walk." "You can't, you're under contract."
I really did enjoy how feisty Adams could be, while also having tender moments as well. I really hope she has a more expanded role in the next installment. Great casting. I also liked how she wasn't dolled up with loads of makeup and tons of fake lashes. She was a modern, independent woman, who focused more on her job and priorities.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:59 PM   #114
The Question

Quote:
Fishburne's interactions with Adams were comic book scenes brought to life.
"Come on Perry, Im a Pulitzer-prize winning reporter." "Then act like it." "Print it or I walk." "You can't, you're under contract."
It felt too underplayed to me. I couldn't get into it. It felt more like "stock boss and valued employ stuff" than "classic Perry and Lois stuff."

Old 07-22-2013, 12:01 AM   #115
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:

I felt that the scene of Adams and Fishburne told a lot with a little. You get a real sense that Lois is his best reporter and an asset he protects from the higher ups, but that as brilliant as she is, he also thinks she's a pain in the ass. The rapport they had also made me think that he sees much of himself as a reporter in her.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:03 AM   #116
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
It felt too underplayed to me. I couldn't get into it. It felt more like "stock boss and valued employ stuff" than "classic Perry and Lois stuff."
Hmm interesting.
Did you generally enjoy Amy as Lois ?

Old 07-22-2013, 12:04 AM   #117
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Man, just knowing that Batman is going to come now, kind of puts a different perspective on my viewings for MOS. Instead of thinking now that all of the stuff that needs to be resolved will be done so in the next chapter, thus MOS being a great buildup to that resolution, we're instead getting a team up film, thus canceling out those hopes, and making MOS feel more like it's own standalone film in a way.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:06 AM   #118
The Question

Quote:
Hmm interesting.
Did you generally enjoy Amy as Lois ?
A bit, I guess. She didn't really pop out at me. She just felt like "determined reporter" to me. Well acted by Adams, no doubt, but her Lois-ness felt very subdued to me. Too subdued. She lacked a lot of little personal touches that really define the character, and she felt too low-energy to me. I chalk that up to the script and the fact that Snyder doesn't strike me as a very good actors' director.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:09 AM   #119
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Man, just knowing that Batman is going to come now, kind of puts a different perspective on my viewings for MOS. Instead of thinking now that all of the stuff that needs to be resolved will be done so in the next chapter, thus MOS being a great buildup to that resolution, we're instead getting a team up film, thus canceling out those hopes, and making MOS feel more like it's own standalone film in a way.

Or maybe they can integrate Batman/Bruce in a way that actually compliments the ideas and themes that were brought up in MOS?

And for those of you who say "Yeah, sure, but not with SNYDER/GOYER in charge, yuck yuck"? Well seeing as how this is was only announced 2 DAYS AGO let's bring down the smugness and wait until we see something, ANYTHING of the actual film.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:11 AM   #120
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
I understand, but your argument is severely flawed. Showing Superman have an emotional reaction to the destruction his fight with Zod is causing during that fight and showing him at least make an attempt to take the fight out of the city isn't pandering in the slightest, it's maintaining some actual pathos and human emotion during the giant action slugfest that visually reminds people of the largest terrorist attack in US history.
Needing him to stop and tell each and every one of us how he is feeling at the moment or it means we will think he doesn't care anymore is pandering.

Quote:
Yes. That's how pathos in stories works.
My point proven at last. In case you missed it I said Zod made his verbal threats about the innocent humans and superman reacted. You would have been proud.

Quote:
I don't remember that being the case at all.
Zod tossed superman through 8 buildings at one point, the only buildings they went through that may have had people(don't know), the buildings didn't go down.
When superman came out the other end, he was floating and seemingly inert. You'll just have to revisit it.

Quote:
The end fight with Zod, where Superman and Zod are smashing through and toppling over a few different buildings and it hardly seems to phase Superman that he's in a populated city until they crash into the train station.
Ah yes, the end fight.
-Starts off in an empty crater,
-moves to an empty building that collapses,
-empty parking garage, empy oil tanker,
-side of a building cracked, all with angry faced superman(not one smile for what that's worth).
-Then abandoned construction building,
-then superman punches the man through the air,
-then zod tosses him through buildings unconfirmed kills(about half as much as the unconfirmed kills caused by the aliens in avengers),
-superman out cold,
-fight ends up in space,
-zod bring it back down,
-satellite debris(no different than the plane debris in Returns),
-train station no kills on impact,
-and you know the rest.

Feel free to correct me, but I ask again, which part are you referring to? Superman not crying over damage he cause is not the same as him not crying over deaths he directly causes.

Quote:
No. I'm not doing that. I'm saying that it makes me really uncomfortable that Superman doesn't make a token attempt to minimize the collateral damage of his fight with Zod or even react to the fact that they're knocking over skyscrapers that people are inside.
He makes an attempt to stop Zod, very commendable. The Jaegers don't make an attempt to move the battles outside of the city once the Kaiju are in the city, they attempt to stop them....that's kinda all they can do at that point. And superman actually does make one valid attempt if you watch carefully. Funny enough, he fails, shocker.

They don't knock over any sky scrappers with people inside

Quote:
They earned the right to make jokes because they also acknowledged the danger that civilians were in and actively tried to rescue them.
Now you must be playing games.
They earned the right to make jokes because some of them tried to rescue a group of citizens....
I expect alot from you but not this level of selective raging. So superman could have made any number of insensitive, inconsiderate jokes in the middle of "911 times a thousand" as some people put it, if only he was also trying to save lives(cause btw, he wasn't trying to save lives he other goals)
I just don't think you are being consistent here.

Quote:
I am really absolutely not. Wanting Superman to react to the obvious carnage around him isn't wanting things to be spelled out. It's wanting the movie to acknowledge the consequences of what's going on in that scene that people are well aware of because we saw it happen in real life twelve years ago. And, it's wanting some things to stay consistent throughout the film.
We saw an alien dictator turn on a tarraforming gravity beam in a fictional city 12 years ago

Buildings do down in earthquakes all the time...don't see people getting over sensitive about movies that tread that ground lightly.

Quote:
People who care also have emotional reactions to skyscrapers collapsing.
Not when they are empty.
But sure yes, and I would argue that superman had one and was actively acting upon said reaction, you are arguing that he didn't.

Quote:
Yes I do. In that scene where people are actually dying by the thousands I want him to display some actual emotions about it.
That wasn't a question but thanks for elaborating.
There was no scene in which people were dying by the thousands and superman wasn't reacting. The scene you are maybe referring to is when the world engine is destroying a city block and superman is doing the impossible. Other than that, I don't remember their fight causing thousands of deaths.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:13 AM   #121
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Quote:
I think this is pretty much what we could expect in a confrontation between the two, especially if Kryptonite is introduced into this film.

His eyes say no, but his lips say yes.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:15 AM   #122
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
A bit, I guess. She didn't really pop out at me. She just felt like "determined reporter" to me. Well acted by Adams, no doubt, but her Lois-ness felt very subdued to me. Too subdued. She lacked a lot of little personal touches that really define the character, and she felt too low-energy to me. I chalk that up to the script and the fact that Snyder doesn't strike me as a very good actors' director.
Hmm. I respectfully disagree. Her and Erica Durance are now my favorite on screen portrayals of Lois Lane. My favorite element was that she was part of the solution, and not the problem. It was great to see Lois do what she does best, investigative reporting, and find out who Clark really is. It's an interesting and new dynamic to their relationship, now that she's in on Clark's secret.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:16 AM   #123
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Alrighty then...

Old 07-22-2013, 12:16 AM   #124
Loki882
Side-Kick

Some people here seem to think that in order for there to be emotion in a film, characters need to talk about their feelings and views every five minutes, that's not how most movies work.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:20 AM   #125
PacificBoy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
50 shades of blue.

Closed Thread