The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Fantastic Four > Fantastic Four

Old 07-22-2013, 02:22 AM   #1
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

Default If Marvel Studios gets the right for FF this year or next year, in which year?

... do you think a new Fantastic Four film will be released?

Definitely not 2015.

I think 2017 is the best choice because they would have a couple of years to develop the film and they could release the film before the Avengers 3.

Hugh Jackman - Halle Berry - Ian McKellen - Patrick Stewart
Anna Paquin - Shawn Ashmore - Daniel Cudmore - Ellen Page
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:41 AM   #2
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Default Re: If Marvel Studios gets the right for FF this year or next year, in which year?

I would guess that Fox has roughly 3 months to get something going or it will be clear to Marvel they won't meet the contract requirements.

With that in mind, I suspect Marvel is already considering contingency plans (possibly negotiating as we speak to lock down the rights) and could probably move fairly quickly, but I think 2017 is a good estimate for the earliest possible because they have other things in process that they will probably continue to fruition before they start actively developing FF.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:26 AM   #3
Spider - Man
Banned User

Default Re: If Marvel Studios gets the right for FF this year or next year, in which year?

The shame of it is, MCU Phase 2 is focusing on the cosmic heroes of Marvel and FF were the original cosmic heroes, traveling in space and time before anyone else - the pioneers! That they shouldn't at least be A PART of Cosmic Marvel is a travesty. The Earth heroes NEED Reed to at least explain all the odd stuff that will naturally come with interstellar travel.

Spider - Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:49 AM   #4
Zarex
Side-Kick

I was originally thinking the FF reboot would fit nicely into the May 2016 slot. But with presumably no script drafts in hand and a full complement of new projects, that may be too optimistic. But now I am thinking it would be a wonderful precursor to Avengers 3 in May 2017, with Thanos initiating an all out (expanded) FF-Avengers battle:

Hulk vs Thing
Thor vs Surfer
Scarlet Witch vs Invisible Woman
Iron Man vs Human Torch
Cap vs Black Panther
Quicksilver vs Mr. Fantastic
Hawkey and Widow vs Herbie

I'd pay money to see that.

Zarex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:47 AM   #5
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

I'm pretty positive Marvel has Phase 3 sketched out already. The question is will F4, Galactus and Silver Surfer fit into what they already have?

Galactus trumps Thanos as far as threat level goes. But both in the same film? That might be interesting.

Still, my guess is 2019 after Avengers 3

pr0xyt0xin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:14 AM   #6
Mr. Dent

We don't know when the rights will revert in the first place. Would they revert this year or next year? That has a lot to do on when they would start planning a movie...because I do believe if they got the rights back they would start planning a movie right away and wouldn't sit on it like other properties they get back

Assuming they get it back soon enough, I'd imagine they'd plan one to kick off Phase IV in 2018/2019.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider - Man View Post
The shame of it is, MCU Phase 2 is focusing on the cosmic heroes of Marvel and FF were the original cosmic heroes, traveling in space and time before anyone else - the pioneers! That they shouldn't at least be A PART of Cosmic Marvel is a travesty. The Earth heroes NEED Reed to at least explain all the odd stuff that will naturally come with interstellar travel.
Phase 2 isn't really focusing on cosmic heroes. Just the Guardians.

2016 - Captain America 3 | Batman vs. Superman | X-Men: Apocalypse | The Amazing Spider-Man 3 | Doctor Strange
TV - Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. | Agent Carter | Daredevil | Luke Cage | Iron Fist | Jessica Jones | The Defenders
TV - Arrow | The Flash | Gotham | Constantine | iZOMBIE
Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:43 PM   #7
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
Still, my guess is 2019 after Avengers 3
If that the case, its a very long wait

Old 07-23-2013, 05:59 AM   #8
Saitou Hajime
Side-Kick

I think it will take the May 2017 slot, and it'll probably be the Age of Ultron/Superman vs Batman-type surprise of next year's Comic Con.

Saitou Hajime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:20 AM   #9
Mr. Dent

Impossible.

2016 - Captain America 3 | Batman vs. Superman | X-Men: Apocalypse | The Amazing Spider-Man 3 | Doctor Strange
TV - Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. | Agent Carter | Daredevil | Luke Cage | Iron Fist | Jessica Jones | The Defenders
Old 07-23-2013, 09:35 AM   #10
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Going by the Daredevil timeline, that went back what, Fall of last year? Something like that. So theoretically, Fox could have until Fall 2014 easily. That means they could start pre-production NEXT Fall, and have it out winter 2015 or Spring 2016. That's assuming the length of the deals are equal. I do think Marvel may have been more careful with the FF deal, but if the timelines are similar, they could have a full year to get the ball rolling. Getting this out in 2016, which is probably a light year as far as comicbooks are concerned (ASM3 is the only noteworthy one, sorry Flash), would be more than ideal.

Mr.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:48 AM   #11
GoblinScrier
Side-Kick

As long as Marvel gets the rights back, I really don't mind waiting...if it means getting it done RIGHT, the buildup will be amazing..whether they decide to sprinkle their presence in others movies in Phase 3 before kicking off Phase 4 with them, or once they got Galactus and the Surfer they might move them into their cosmic plan. Then again, getting Doom back is in my opinion the most important part of that deal. The Doom/Richards connection is just DYING to be on the screen...that rivalry is LEGENDARY

Old 07-23-2013, 03:12 PM   #12
Picard Sisko
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

By the time the MCU gets Spider-Man, the Fantastic Four, and the X-Men, it would have been rebooted by then. Otherwise all of these characters would be coming in so late in the game that they would probably be irrelevant.

At some point, the MCU is going to finish, and there won't be anymore films within that cinematic universe. At some point. Didn't they plan up to 4 phases?

Now if Marvel did not really want to create a brand new cinematic universe, its possible that they could just make some standalone crossover movies... Secret Wars, Civil War, etc.

Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:08 PM   #13
Mr. Dent

Quote:
At some point, the MCU is going to finish
And that is because....? Disney bought Marvel specifically to make movies. I don't see Disney Animation not making movies anymore.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:48 PM   #14
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
By the time the MCU gets Spider-Man, the Fantastic Four, and the X-Men, it would have been rebooted by then. Otherwise all of these characters would be coming in so late in the game that they would probably be irrelevant. At some point, the MCU is going to finish, and there won't be anymore films within that cinematic universe.
Yeah thats a big possibility.

Its really interesting what would happen in MCU 10 years later, if will manage to continue without doing a reboot just like with FOX's X-Men.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:12 AM   #15
DareDemon
Hi! I like shorts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post
Going by the Daredevil timeline, that went back what, Fall of last year? Something like that. So theoretically, Fox could have until Fall 2014 easily. That means they could start pre-production NEXT Fall, and have it out winter 2015 or Spring 2016. That's assuming the length of the deals are equal. I do think Marvel may have been more careful with the FF deal, but if the timelines are similar, they could have a full year to get the ball rolling. Getting this out in 2016, which is probably a light year as far as comicbooks are concerned (ASM3 is the only noteworthy one, sorry Flash), would be more than ideal.
I was not aware Marvel got Daredevil's rights back, nor was I aware FF's return to Marvel was imminent. Do I understand correctly that Fox has to release an FF movie by the end of 2015, or do they have to just start work by 2015. Is the Trank movie in development hell or something?

Assuming the 2015 movie doesn't go get made and gets reverted to Marvel January 1, 2016, I would say an FF movie would be released in 2018 or 2019.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:45 AM   #16
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DareDemon View Post
I was not aware Marvel got Daredevil's rights back, nor was I aware FF's return to Marvel was imminent. Do I understand correctly that Fox has to release an FF movie by the end of 2015, or do they have to just start work by 2015. Is the Trank movie in development hell or something?

Assuming the 2015 movie doesn't go get made and gets reverted to Marvel January 1, 2016, I would say an FF movie would be released in 2018 or 2019.
I don't think anybody can give you a solid answer. We had a similar situation with Superman. Everyone thought WB had to have the film out by 2012 before the rights reverted back to the creators Siegel and Shuster. Turned out, WB just had to get the film into production, in the mist of all that ongoing legal mumbo jumbo. WB ended up winning that case, but all the uncertainty prior ultimately did not affect MoS in any way.

Obviously every instance will be different, but I think the seven year estimate is likely. I think they need to have the film in production by next year because I think the DD timeline is an accurate template. I still believe Fox has up to a year to get serious about the film before they hit any deadlines, but I'm speculating. The deadline may very well be the end of this year and not the next.

Last edited by Mr.M; 07-24-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Mr.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:06 PM   #17
Picard Sisko
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
And that is because....? Disney bought Marvel specifically to make movies. I don't see Disney Animation not making movies anymore.
I think you are missing my point. Obviously Disney wanted to buy Marvel to make movies, and they will continue doing so. I'm specifically talking about the current Marvel Cinematic Universe. At some point, its going to have to finish. Over time, the continuity will collapse on itself, and Disney/Marvel will probably reboot it.

I'm not talking about anytime soon. Maybe in the next 20 years or so.

Imagine if Spider-Man, X-Men, and the Fantastic Four return to Marvel in 10-15 years from now. How would you incorporate them into a cinematic universe that already has 15 years worth of movies packed into it?

Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:23 PM   #18
Mr. Dent

Easy...you do. Spider-Man is a very isolated character, it's not hard to put him in a universe because he doesn't effect a lot. He can just happen. With X-Men you could just have the mutant gene develop or even commit a phase to the development of it, or just retcon them in. FF, like Spider-Man, can also just be put in. I don't think they'll have to end it just because those rights come back. They just open the doors to more stories.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:31 PM   #19
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Easy...you do. Spider-Man is a very isolated character, it's not hard to put him in a universe because he doesn't effect a lot. He can just happen. With X-Men you could just have the mutant gene develop or even commit a phase to the development of it, or just retcon them in. FF, like Spider-Man, can also just be put in. I don't think they'll have to end it just because those rights come back. They just open the doors to more stories.
Good point. Spider-Man easy. X-Men hard. F4 is moderate difficulty because people they are so famous. Not to mention their innovation and scientific endeavors don't go unnoticed. If Stark and Banner know each other, they definitely know Reed Richards.

pr0xyt0xin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:33 PM   #20
Mr. Dent

I can see them putting in a joke if they ever got the rights back where Tony and Banner mention Richards and they're like "Why did we never talk about that guy?" "He's been out for a while". "Ah".

Old 07-24-2013, 04:51 PM   #21
DareDemon
Hi! I like shorts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post
I don't think anybody can give you a solid answer. We had a similar situation with Superman. Everyone thought WB had to have the film out by 2012 before the rights reverted back to the creators Siegel and Shuster. Turned out, WB just had to get the film into production, in the mist of all that ongoing legal mumbo jumbo. WB ended up winning that case, but all the uncertainty prior ultimately did not affect MoS in any way.

Obviously every instance will be different, but I think the seven year estimate is likely. I think they need to have the film in production by next year because I think the DD timeline is an accurate template. I still believe Fox has up to a year to get serious about the film before they hit any deadlines, but I'm speculating. The deadline may very well be the end of this year and not the next.
Well I sure hope its sooner rather than later. The more in Marvel, the better.

Also glad Supes is owned by WB still. I don't think the Siegel and Shuster estate would be able to make a movie at all..... Plus there'd be no Justice League. Unless they just sell it back to WB with a new contract. I can't think of what else they COULD do.

Old 09-23-2013, 12:55 AM   #22
Tymminator
The Main Man in Minnesota

I actually don't see the MCU really rebooting, at the most maybe a "soft" reboot. One way or another, we will see.

Tymminator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:06 AM   #23
kguillou
Side-Kick

Well the problem is way down the line (10-15 years) the actors playing them are going to be a lot older (RDJ and Sam Jackson will be too old at that point) and not to mention at that time those same actors will be demanding absurd amounts of money so they're going to have to recast pretty much everybody which means they'd probably have to reboot.

kguillou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:17 PM   #24
Tymminator
The Main Man in Minnesota

However recast does not equal reboot. Marvel has already displayed they will recast and keep moving forward without a misstep. They have already talked about possibly having to recast as that's just realistic.

I think they will recast for sure, but I just don't see that as having to reboot. You only usually really have to reboot only when you dead end a series. Either by design (Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy, meant to stand alone) or because you mess it up so badly you have to start over (the Batman series before Nolan's)Spider-man rebooted, but the really didn't need to, they chose to. I can see "soft" reboots, but unless they screw up, IMO they don't have to do a hard reboot.

Tymminator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:42 PM   #25
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymminator View Post
However recast does not equal reboot. Marvel has already displayed they will recast and keep moving forward without a misstep. They have already talked about possibly having to recast as that's just realistic.

I think they will recast for sure, but I just don't see that as having to reboot. You only usually really have to reboot only when you dead end a series. Either by design (Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy, meant to stand alone) or because you mess it up so badly you have to start over (the Batman series before Nolan's)Spider-man rebooted, but the really didn't need to, they chose to. I can see "soft" reboots, but unless they screw up, IMO they don't have to do a hard reboot.
Exactly!!!

bubbadoom is offline   Reply With Quote