The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: How do you think Man of Steel will do?
1.5 billion 11 5.85%
1 billion 27 14.36%
900 million 13 6.91%
800 million 35 18.62%
700 million 41 21.81%
600 million 29 15.43%
500 million 18 9.57%
400 million 8 4.26%
300 million 2 1.06%
200 million 4 2.13%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 11:06 AM   #326
Marvin
Side-Kick

Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot View Post
If you want to be honest, WWZ wasn't all that great either.. and therefore the logical conclusion is that the HUGE drop for MOS is not entirely due to competition..

Anyone trying to paint the reason for the huge drop to just the BIGGEST COMPETITION OF ALL TIME, is just spinning things, again...
Not saying anything about "biggest competition" just like you're not saying it's the "biggest drop" right.

I'm talking about a film having a 64% drop, maybe possibly being rationalized in part by the fact that it's facing 148million in direct competition from two separate sources of demographics.
That's all.

If Dark Shadows alone opened up a week after MOS and we saw a 64% drop, I'd maybe be singing a different tune.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:08 AM   #327
STARMAN
Side-Kick

A 64% drop in week 2 isn't good. We can go around in circles arguing why it occurred. It doesn't really matter anymore.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:12 AM   #328
JOE
____#BringHomeSpidey____

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot View Post
Sorry, I don't mean just 'good' movies.. but Movies I am CRAZY about...

Let's see, the list you made, i'll bold the ones I like (but not crazy about). None in the list I am crazy about btw....
Nothing for TASM2?

"You see... Madness, as you know, is like gravity. All you need is a little push!"

"If you make yourself more than just an avatar, if you devote yourself to an ideal, you become something else entirely... A legend, Mr. Kane52630"

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat
Old 07-25-2013, 11:15 AM   #329
STARMAN
Side-Kick

TASM 2 will be very successful next year. It will make more money than the first one. But I don't think the last film created any great buzz. I'll see it but I'm not counting down the days for it.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:23 AM   #330
JOE
____#BringHomeSpidey____

The buzz is high for this next one. The costume change alone is going to bring more people in. Jamie Foxx won't hurt either.

"You see... Madness, as you know, is like gravity. All you need is a little push!"

"If you make yourself more than just an avatar, if you devote yourself to an ideal, you become something else entirely... A legend, Mr. Kane52630"

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat
Old 07-25-2013, 11:46 AM   #331
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARMAN View Post
A 64% drop in week 2 isn't good. We can go around in circles arguing why it occurred. It doesn't really matter anymore.
Circumstance is everything.
If an asteroid it the planet in the second weekend of a films release and there as a 64 percent drop, I'm sure you'd start appreciating power of circumstance.

Moreover if THG, TDKR and others can do similar under far better circumstances and no one bat an at their success, standards need to be re-examined.
The final Harry Potter dropped 72% for goodnessake. WB must have been reeling after that film.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #332
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

I don't know if my non comic book fan sister speaks for the general audience but she loved ASM. Sony must have confidence to green light THREE sequels.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:50 AM   #333
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Batman Begins grew in popularity after it's initial box office run. It had huge DVD sales and a greater appreciation of the movie grew between it's release and the Dark Knight.
I think TDK blowing up has more to do with The Joker and the death of Ledger than Batman Begins. If MoS 2 blows up I think it will have more to do with the inclusion of Batman than MoS 1.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:51 AM   #334
STARMAN
Side-Kick

Yes, the last Harry Potter film dropped 72% on it's second weekend. But that's easier for a studio to tolerate after it makes 169 mill during it's OW on it's way to 381 mill total plus 960 foreign.

If MOS did that there would be silence about the 64% drop.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:53 AM   #335
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
I think TDK blowing up has more to do with The Joker and the death of Ledger than Batman Begins. If MoS 2 blows up I think it will have more to do with the inclusion of Batman than MoS 1.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:53 AM   #336
STARMAN
Side-Kick

The success of the Dark Knight has to do with a lot of thing.

Growing appreciation for Batman Begins due to huge DVD sales, the much hyped performance of Ledger, the great critical reviews and word of mouth. It was a perfect combo.

Plus, it's a great movie.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:57 AM   #337
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yes, the last Harry Potter film dropped 72% on it's second weekend. But that's easier for a studio to tolerate after it makes 169 mill during it's OW on it's way to 381 mill total plus 960 foreign.

If MOS did that there would be silence about the 64% drop.
Well at least there are some levels of circumstance I see you are willing to accept.

What if MoS had a record breaking opening in it's own right, bigger than all other launching points in the genre(and in context IM2)? Not quite Harry potter numbers but then again, not quite harry potters drop either.

Here's the thing about HP's drop, similar hits have opened just as big if not bigger and have dropped far less. "That says something about word of mouth", however there isn't a rabid group of detractors teeming to point that out.
(my opinion).

Old 07-25-2013, 12:02 PM   #338
STARMAN
Side-Kick

Why are we still arguing about the 64% drop. It happened. It's over.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:05 PM   #339
Tra-El
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
People are underestimating the importance of TDK trilogy and the fanfare the series accumulated. Sure the Bat will boost sales, but don't think for a second Batman now doesn't have that "Christopher Reeve" comparison because he does. Superman is the hardest character to adapt on film because of that comparison.

This new Bats in this world will forever be compared to Christian Bale if critics or audience's don't get what they envisioned so don't think Batman is off-limits to criticism.

I think the success's of MOS and the teammup will have more appeal than just mentioning Batman as the savior to all of mankind. Superman doesn't get enough credit. His name next to the Batman is EQUALLY important in this scenario.

Now, if Batman was to be rebooted without the MOS universe or having the success of Cavill's Superman for say, 2015, would it bring in the billion dollar business TDK did just because he's Batman?

HIGHLY DOUBTFUL. At this point, it's the perfect time for Supes/Bats to need each other without putting the other down........

Last edited by Tra-El; 07-25-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:08 PM   #340
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Why are we still arguing about the 64% drop. It happened. It's over.
No one is arguing it, people are discussing it's meaning. Some think it ones one thing, others another.

That's why.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:13 PM   #341
robot
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE View Post
Nothing for TASM2?
I like it, sure.. not a big fan..

I am a big fan of:

Star Wars
Star Trek
Superman
James Cameron (anything he does), which means Avatar in the forseeable future

Any other super hero movies are basically 'action movies' for me...

I like real epic scale movies.. like LOTR.. Standalone movies don't do much for me like all these Comic Book Movies.. you seen one you seen it all...

They need someone who knows how to create a truly epic scale Justice League which spans like maybe 6 movies (one huge landscape/war.. )

Old 07-25-2013, 12:49 PM   #342
GreenKToo
In the fire

I dont agree that WF was a last minute desperate plan by WB to ensure MoS 2 getsa billion. I believe WF has been the plan for a while now, and it happening all depended on if MoS was a success or not, and it was/is.
I think a JL film has been a priority for months and this WF film is just a piece of that puzzle.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:30 PM   #343
Kryptonian Warrior
The Dawn Is Upon Us
SHH! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post
I dont agree that WF was a last minute desperate plan by WB to ensure MoS 2 getsa billion. I believe WF has been the plan for a while now, and it happening all depended on if MoS was a success or not, and it was/is.
I think a JL film has been a priority for months and this WF film is just a piece of that puzzle.
I completely agree with you. There's no way they are just "winging" it. I'd bet that Goyer and Nolan went to WB with a general outline, a road map if you will, of what they would like to do in the DCMU. I'm confident in that they didn't want to go the route that Marvel has taken. I've always thought that since they ultimately want to get to a Justice League movie, then you have to start with MOS and then a WF/Superman vs. Batman movie, which will lead into the JL. IMO, you absolutely MUST have Superman and Batman before JL. I also think it's possible that they had a couple of different plans, like MOS first and then the Batman reboot. Ultimately they chose to go with "Plan A" which is MOS and then WF/Superman vs. Batman. Just my two cents.

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...n.php?u=230251
Old 07-25-2013, 01:36 PM   #344
JOE
____#BringHomeSpidey____

WB's plan just seems all over the place...

You have MOS which was it's own movie and didn't mention anything into the DC universe besides the Lex forecasting and a satellite with Wayne on it. After finding out the movie made money and can green light a sequel, they throw Batman in the mix taking away the spotlight from Cavil.

Green Lantern, which was a flop in the box office, with no signs of having Reynolds a part of the JLA.

A finished Batman trilogy which is it's own thing, yet people want that Batman pairing up with Snyder's MOS for a sequel to MOS which won't give Cavil his own sequel.

No mention of Flash or Wonder Woman or any other JLA potential...

Is anyone else seeing inconsistencies? At least when Marvel did it, they knew where they were headed from day 1.

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat
Old 07-25-2013, 01:55 PM   #345
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE View Post

Is anyone else seeing inconsistencies? At least when Marvel did it, they knew where they were headed from day 1.
If they are going to reboot batman, it's a safe bet they are rebooting GL too. Marvel isn't the only paradigm there is. Start with MoS and go from there. So far they are having more success with their launching point than Marvel did(and I'm ignoring TIH) so I'm not going to to keep an open mind.

I suspect the MoS sequel will have more success than marvels second venture too. It might do a better job at establishing the CU as well.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:59 PM   #346
LostSon88
Side-Kick

They don't even need to reboot GL per se. They can acknowledge the events of the Ryan Reynolds movie while introducing a different lantern.

That's the beauty of GL, the fact that many different guys have worn the ring.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #347
Liam_H
Side-Kick

I don't know why people are bringing up Harry Potter in comparison, poor example to use.

Spill

Old 07-25-2013, 02:05 PM   #348
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSon88 View Post
They don't even need to reboot GL per se. They can acknowledge the events of the Ryan Reynolds movie while introducing a different lantern.

That's absolutely what they should do. John, Kyle or Guy. reference Hal but distance yourself from the PoS that is Green Lantern and move on.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:43 PM   #349
JangoNate
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrilla31 View Post
Is a room full of uber fans and geeks really the right place to gauge a reaction? Of course the announcement of a Superman/Batman movie gonna blow the roof off the place.

That has absolutely nothing to do with the general reaction to MOS.
General reaction goes way past these forums and comic con. General reaction is that non comic book fans of mine immediately texted me about Batman/Superman shortly after the announcement and the way that it trended on Twitter before and after it was made. This thing generated some good buzz. Never mind that a group of us 'uber fans' on a message board from the interwebs are split, the average moviegoer more than likely found this announcement to be amazing.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #350
FlawlessVictory
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSon88 View Post

Except that MOS is supposed to serve as the first alien contact movie.

Closed Thread