The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: How do you think Man of Steel will do?
1.5 billion 11 5.85%
1 billion 27 14.36%
900 million 13 6.91%
800 million 35 18.62%
700 million 41 21.81%
600 million 29 15.43%
500 million 18 9.57%
400 million 8 4.26%
300 million 2 1.06%
200 million 4 2.13%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 02:35 PM   #351
Marvin
Side-Kick
 
Marvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 16,499
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_H View Post
I don't know why people are bringing up Harry Potter in comparison, poor example to use.
I brought it up.
The film was seen as hit through and through and I don't remember this idea of poor word of mouth being used to explain that pretty significant drop.

Why is it a poor example?

__________________
1992's Universal soldier is my favorite Wolverine vs Sabretooth movie.
Marvin is offline  
Old 07-25-2013, 02:35 PM   #352
ModernClarkKent
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 31
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - - - - - Part 14

Another FYI, for kicks (Wednesday's BO)

$252,156


-21.5% / -53.5%

1,050 / $240

$285,827,010 / 41

ModernClarkKent is offline  
Old 07-25-2013, 02:51 PM   #353
Liam_H
Side-Kick
 
Liam_H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California
Posts: 8,505
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
I brought it up.
The film was seen as hit through and through and I don't remember this idea of poor word of mouth being used to explain that pretty significant drop.

Why is it a poor example?
Its just that Potter like Twilight has a defined audience. The open big and drop like a brick, more Twilight than Potter. So big drops were expected.

Also movies that are the start of new franchises are suppose to be less front loaded, there is less of a rush because there isn't already a built in audience.

So to say MoS drop doesn't look bad in comparison to Potter isn't applicable IMO.

__________________

Spill


Liam_H is offline  
Old 07-25-2013, 03:08 PM   #354
ConanLives
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Cimmeria
Posts: 168
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superchan View Post
I would love to see a link to those reports, I have read the reports from boxoffice mojo and boxoffice.com (the sites that know a thing or 2 about box office) and they seem to agree that the film is a hit for WB.
But you seem to be trolling, so I'm just gonna stop wasting my time with another ? closet marvel fanboy who is obviously scared that his avengers sequel is gonna play second fiddle to the world's finest.
Yes!

ConanLives is offline  
Old 07-26-2013, 06:51 AM   #355
MANOFSTEELtrilogy
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 216
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrilla31 View Post

I don't think WB isn't going forward with a solo MOS sequel purely on the strength that it didn't gross a billion. It's a combination of things. It's the fact that they pumped everything they possibly could into this thing and it only grossed 650m. It's the negative critical response. Had it been a tad more universally adored, and had it grossed maybe 850m... then the studio would have more reason to believe the foundation had been laid for an enormously successful sequel... but that simply hasn't happened. The buzz just wasn't there. For a movie that opened that strong, it should have done better. Too many people were left unimpressed.
Uh, MOS2 is being filmed in 2014, and Batman has a cameo (instead of Batman getting a reboot - I mean did you really expect them to completely reboot Batman just because Bale left? MOS2 was always going to feature Batman, because they need to introduce the new Batman before JLA). And Snyder/Goyer/Cavill are returning. Oh, and WB hoped MOS would open with $80mill. Instead, it opened with $117mill (June record, Reboot record). So not sure which planet you are living on.

MANOFSTEELtrilogy is offline  
Old 07-26-2013, 06:56 AM   #356
Showtime
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Showtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: The Sky
Posts: 41,402
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANOFSTEELtrilogy View Post
Uh, MOS2 is being filmed in 2014, and Batman has a cameo (instead of Batman getting a reboot - I mean did you really expect them to completely reboot Batman just because Bale left? MOS2 was always going to feature Batman, because they need to introduce the new Batman before JLA). And Snyder/Goyer/Cavill are returning. Oh, and WB hoped MOS would open with $80mill. Instead, it opened with $117mill (June record, Reboot record). So not sure which planet you are living on.
He's living on Earth. You really think that they put a Superman/Batman logo out there and Goyer would be talking about titles including "Batman" if it was a just a "cameo"?

__________________

Showtime is offline  
Old 07-26-2013, 07:01 AM   #357
JOE
_________________________
 
JOE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,723
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - - - - - Part 14

This.^

They're both sharing the spotlight in this one. Apparently they were discussing titles and I think it might be a "vs." thing. Not much of a battle if he's only in as a cameo.

__________________
"You see... Madness, as you know, is like gravity. All you need is a little push!"

"If you make yourself more than just an avatar, if you devote yourself to an ideal, you become something else entirely... A legend, Mr. Kane52630"

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat
JOE is offline  
Old 07-26-2013, 07:06 AM   #358
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future
 
Green Goblin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 5,027
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - - - - - Part 14

How much has MOS earned in total?

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesConceptz View Post
Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
The Sinister Six- The album
Doc Ock Green Goblin Rhino Kraven Mysterio
Featuring hits like "lol haters, we aint giveing up the rights" "Forget you, Sam Raimi" "Marc Webb aint my daddy" "Hey WB, we made a female superhero movie!"

Hitting a store near you in 2016!
Green Goblin is offline  
Old 07-26-2013, 07:08 AM   #359
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future
 
Green Goblin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 5,027
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - - - - - Part 14

Calm people MOS looks like it will be the 2nd highest grossing reboot!

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesConceptz View Post
Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
The Sinister Six- The album
Doc Ock Green Goblin Rhino Kraven Mysterio
Featuring hits like "lol haters, we aint giveing up the rights" "Forget you, Sam Raimi" "Marc Webb aint my daddy" "Hey WB, we made a female superhero movie!"

Hitting a store near you in 2016!
Green Goblin is offline  
Old 07-26-2013, 07:52 AM   #360
sf2
Side-Kick
 
sf2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,991
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot View Post
It is frustrating.. sometimes i wish people loved MOS as much as I did..

HAHA..

I did drag, and drag them to watch it...

It's even more frustrating that there were very little 'WOM' or 'friendly recommendation' among the GA, but there were a lot of 'don't bother watching it' going on as well...

Just the other day, i was trying to convince another person to watch it, and he told me his friends thought it as boring...

frustrating indeed....
Ya. There are a lot don't bother like among my colleagues. I know how hard it was to drag them to MOS when you didn't want to make yourself a desperate fan.

Well, hopefully the DVD sale will be great ( like BB) to get more people interested in MOS.

__________________
“Everything you can imagine is real.”
― Pablo Picasso
sf2 is online now  
Old 07-26-2013, 08:36 AM   #361
Kryptonian Warrior
We are Hunter Rider
 
Kryptonian Warrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee
Posts: 4,712
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
Ya. There are a lot don't bother like among my colleagues. I know how hard it was to drag them to MOS when you didn't want to make yourself a desperate fan.

Well, hopefully the DVD sale will be great ( like BB) to get more people interested in MOS.
DVD? What is this "DVD" you speak of?

__________________
My Ever Growing Blu Ray Collection

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...n.php?u=230251
Kryptonian Warrior is offline  
Old 07-26-2013, 09:23 AM   #362
Marvin
Side-Kick
 
Marvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 16,499
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_H View Post
Its just that Potter like Twilight has a defined audience. The open big and drop like a brick, more Twilight than Potter. So big drops were expected.

Also movies that are the start of new franchises are suppose to be less front loaded, there is less of a rush because there isn't already a built in audience.

So to say MoS drop doesn't look bad in comparison to Potter isn't applicable IMO.
If we are talking about what the analysts at the studio expect then I suppose one could say that an expected drop is par for the course.

It's a safe bet that the studio "expected" some form of drop given the date and direct competition the set out for MOS. If that was their aim then there is no issue here. Problem is there is, people tend to look at numbers with little regard for circumstance with MOS, not so much the other films though.

As for Potter in particular, we are willing to apply a defined, dedicated and built up fan base for that particular franchise closer but in the face of say Return of the King's 30ish percentage drop, such ideas are thrown to the wayside entirely.
(same in a way for the fast series).

__________________
1992's Universal soldier is my favorite Wolverine vs Sabretooth movie.
Marvin is offline  
Old 07-26-2013, 10:06 AM   #363
sf2
Side-Kick
 
sf2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,991
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptonian Warrior View Post
DVD? What is this "DVD" you speak of?
The upcoming DVD like in another 3 months.

__________________
“Everything you can imagine is real.”
― Pablo Picasso
sf2 is online now  
Old 07-26-2013, 10:17 AM   #364
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick
 
Ms. Marvel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: S.W.O.R.D.
Posts: 2,911
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
If we are talking about what the analysts at the studio expect then I suppose one could say that an expected drop is par for the course.

It's a safe bet that the studio "expected" some form of drop given the date and direct competition the set out for MOS. If that was their aim then there is no issue here. Problem is there is, people tend to look at numbers with little regard for circumstance with MOS, not so much the other films though.

As for Potter in particular, we are willing to apply a defined, dedicated and built up fan base for that particular franchise closer but in the face of say Return of the King's 30ish percentage drop, such ideas are thrown to the wayside entirely.
(same in a way for the fast series).
Well the last harry potter movie grossed a lot either way.

__________________
HAIL HYDRA
Ms. Marvel is offline  
Old 07-26-2013, 10:32 AM   #365
Marvin
Side-Kick
 
Marvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 16,499
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Marvel View Post
Well the last harry potter movie grossed a lot either way.
Yes plenty, but not the most given what it could have done. Just like MOS.
Compared to say the super successful IM and ASM numbers, MOS has grossed a huge amount for WB. 60% drop or no.

__________________
1992's Universal soldier is my favorite Wolverine vs Sabretooth movie.
Marvin is offline  
Old 07-26-2013, 10:51 AM   #366
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future
 
Green Goblin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 5,027
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - - - - - Part 14

MOS still has great numbers though

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesConceptz View Post
Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
The Sinister Six- The album
Doc Ock Green Goblin Rhino Kraven Mysterio
Featuring hits like "lol haters, we aint giveing up the rights" "Forget you, Sam Raimi" "Marc Webb aint my daddy" "Hey WB, we made a female superhero movie!"

Hitting a store near you in 2016!
Green Goblin is offline  
Old 07-26-2013, 11:38 AM   #367
ModernClarkKent
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 31
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - - - - - Part 14

$650 MIL or so final numbers is quite impressive for the start of a franchise: yes large budget, yes the most "well-known" Superhero, but that doesn't necessarily translate into box-office gold, especially when your film has some (a lot) of controversy, coming off a bad reboot, isn't entirely child friendly, and has immediate and large competition the following week. I would have preferred to see a stand alone sequel, but given whatever allure The Avengers had -- 1 beloved hero, two that had fine (ok) box office numbers, one with multiple failed films, and two that no one really cares for except for a nice rack, MOS 2 unless the villain(s) were played by big box office draws, likely wouldn't pull in a billion - and this is coming from a guy who has bought tons of man of steel merchandise, pushed everyone to go, and watched it 4 times now.

The "intrigue" apparently of seeing six heroes on one screen at the same time more than doubled what Iron Man 2 - the biggest box office draw of TA's heroes is what likely contributed to the inclusion of Batman, whether for good or bad, and I see pros and cons.

ModernClarkKent is offline  
Old 07-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #368
sf2
Side-Kick
 
sf2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,991
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernClarkKent View Post
$650 MIL or so final numbers is quite impressive for the start of a franchise: yes large budget, yes the most "well-known" Superhero, but that doesn't necessarily translate into box-office gold, especially when your film has some (a lot) of controversy, coming off a bad reboot, isn't entirely child friendly, and has immediate and large competition the following week. I would have preferred to see a stand alone sequel, but given whatever allure The Avengers had -- 1 beloved hero, two that had fine (ok) box office numbers, one with multiple failed films, and two that no one really cares for except for a nice rack, MOS 2 unless the villain(s) were played by big box office draws, likely wouldn't pull in a billion - and this is coming from a guy who has bought tons of man of steel merchandise, pushed everyone to go, and watched it 4 times now.

The "intrigue" apparently of seeing six heroes on one screen at the same time more than doubled what Iron Man 2 - the biggest box office draw of TA's heroes is what likely contributed to the inclusion of Batman, whether for good or bad, and I see pros and cons.
Yup. Ironman is the most money making superhero now.
I am just very nervous will it be called as MOS2: title or a total new ne. And how heavilly batman will get invovled. I mean his scene time.

__________________
“Everything you can imagine is real.”
― Pablo Picasso

Last edited by sf2; 07-26-2013 at 01:05 PM.
sf2 is online now  
Old 07-26-2013, 01:56 PM   #369
ModernClarkKent
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 31
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - - - - - Part 14

FYI Folks:

Thursday Figures:
$231,262-8%1,050-1100$220$286,058,272

ModernClarkKent is offline  
Old 07-26-2013, 02:09 PM   #370
Marvin
Side-Kick
 
Marvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 16,499
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - - - - - Part 14

I think if WB had included that Worlds Finest media as a stinger towards or after the end of MOS, we'd be looking at the higher numbers.
Of course we'd have to deal with people talking about how the bulk of the films money came from that fact alone...thank god I was spared this fate.

__________________
1992's Universal soldier is my favorite Wolverine vs Sabretooth movie.
Marvin is offline  
Old 07-26-2013, 04:41 PM   #371
robot
Side-Kick
 
robot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,143
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE View Post
This.^

They're both sharing the spotlight in this one. Apparently they were discussing titles and I think it might be a "vs." thing. Not much of a battle if he's only in as a cameo.
Fingers crossed that they don't dumb down superman or make him appear less powerful when battling batman... i so hate when they do that in the cartoons...

And I hope they don't actually get into a physical battle because that'll just cause me to wretch uncontrollably.. (the illogic of batman trying to fight someone who moves at sonic speed and with the gentlest flick of his fingers could end your life)...

robot is offline  
Old 07-26-2013, 04:47 PM   #372
robot
Side-Kick
 
robot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,143
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - - - - - Part 14

Watched Wolverine today...

definitely the worse movie so far this year for me.... almost fell asleep...

wished i had gone and watched MOS for the 5th time instead.

I was so disappointed, and needed my movie fix, so went and watch RED 2, right after... and I must say, RED 2 did not disappoint.. (not as good as RED), but still pretty good...

robot is offline  
Old 07-26-2013, 04:53 PM   #373
Musty002
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 150
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - - - - - Part 14

Interesting that batman and ironman are only solo superhero movie to get a billion ww is it because they are the most grounded and realistic out of all of them. Think about it, they both don't have superpowers thus make them more relatable.

I bet Spiderman at some point might destory this theory.

Musty002 is offline  
Old 07-26-2013, 05:19 PM   #374
Tra-El
Side-Kick
 
Tra-El's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Trying to find out where I hang my cape? YOU WON'T
Posts: 2,579
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot View Post
Watched Wolverine today...

definitely the worse movie so far this year for me.... almost fell asleep...

wished i had gone and watched MOS for the 5th time instead.

I was so disappointed, and needed my movie fix, so went and watch RED 2, right after... and I must say, RED 2 did not disappoint.. (not as good as RED), but still pretty good...
It's my buddies birthday today and I'll be going to the 8:45 showing of The Wolverine. I've heard it's not bad, in some ways OKAY but the movie plays it conservative and is your typical late-summer flick overshadowed by the blockbusters.

I would admit that I'm honesty OVER Jackman's Wolvie. Yea, he has been the face of the character this entire decade-PLUS and we've all loved him portray Logan, but 13 years later (what more can you possibly tell?), I'm entering the theater already underwhelmed. I will keep an open mind, however.

__________________
MOS theater count: 6
Tra-El is offline  
Old 07-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #375
JangoNate
Side-Kick
 
JangoNate's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: NC
Posts: 540
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot View Post
Watched Wolverine today...

definitely the worse movie so far this year for me.... almost fell asleep...

wished i had gone and watched MOS for the 5th time instead.

I was so disappointed, and needed my movie fix, so went and watch RED 2, right after... and I must say, RED 2 did not disappoint.. (not as good as RED), but still pretty good...
Haven't seen it yet, but want to. The Wolverine boards are glowing as far as reviews and I'm happy that, in the threads I've been reading, there hasn't been any Marvel/DC bickering or anything.

You look at the MOS and The Wolverine RT scores and I get the feeling that The Wolverine's reviews are benefiting from X-Men Origins. As in, because Origins was terrible and this isn't that bad we'll be more eager to click the Fresh rating.

All in all, I hope I enjoy the mess out of it.

JangoNate is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:56 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.