The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: How do you think Man of Steel will do?
1.5 billion 11 5.85%
1 billion 27 14.36%
900 million 13 6.91%
800 million 35 18.62%
700 million 41 21.81%
600 million 29 15.43%
500 million 18 9.57%
400 million 8 4.26%
300 million 2 1.06%
200 million 4 2.13%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 10:35 AM   #126
Tra-El
Side-Kick

Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JangoNate View Post
I still feel Batman was planned to be a part of this film a lot longer than people think. I'm getting a feeling it was the goal all along if MOS was a success...which it is.
JangoNate, you feel my exact feels as well. Even before opening release date, there was signs of it. Cavill started talking a Bat/Supes teammup, then word was leaking that a Bat reboot in '15...yadayada. This was WB's plan. They got the numbers they wanted out of MOS and didn't waste time to announce this.

Some people are forgetting that the news that we are exposed to, is this is a Superman movie and THEE sequel. This isn't like a Freddy VS Jason where they are being paired up just for the sake of it with different storyline. No. This is a continuation of MOS. The same world and struggles will apply. Bruce is just going to be written into the story, as Lex would be.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:52 AM   #127
JangoNate
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tra-El View Post
JangoNate, you feel my exact feels as well. Even before opening release date, there was signs of it. Cavill started talking a Bat/Supes teammup, then word was leaking that a Bat reboot in '15...yadayada. This was WB's plan. They got the numbers they wanted out of MOS and didn't waste time to announce this.

Some people are forgetting that the news that we are exposed to, is this is a Superman movie and THEE sequel. This isn't like a Freddy VS Jason where they are being paired up just for the sake of it with different storyline. No. This is a continuation of MOS. The same world and struggles will apply. Bruce is just going to be written into the story, as Lex would be.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:53 AM   #128
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

I have a friend at Rocksteady (the games company) and I knew a year ago that they were coming of the Arkham game to work on a new game for WB. He wouldn't tell me what that game was but I bet any money that game is Batman/Superman.

Think about it, if it were purely a Superman game WB would have pulled them of Arkham sooner to have the game ready for MoS.
I think WB knew they were going to do WF a year ago.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:06 AM   #129
JangoNate
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
I have a friend at Rocksteady (the games company) and I knew a year ago that they were coming of the Arkham game to work on a new game for WB. He wouldn't tell me what that game was but I bet any money that game is Batman/Superman.

Think about it, if it were purely a Superman game WB would have pulled them of Arkham sooner to have the game ready for MoS.
I think WB knew they were going to do WF a year ago.
Interesting. Both playable, I hope.

Yeah, there are too many coincidences to chalk this up to "MOS didn't do well, let's randomly introduce Batman to make more money." Yes, from a business standpoint, Batman is a good decision, but considering they've been pushing towards JL ASAP, it wouldn't be a surprise if this was always the plan. Personally, I'm more happy to see this than a jump to JL. By the end of MOS2, we'll have a relationship between two of its leaders.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:14 AM   #130
Superchan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrilla31 View Post
What makes you think that WB made money hand over fist just because the final gross came out to 635 million? We don't know what goes on behind the scenes. It's not about gross, it's about profit.

The studio didn't just spend a lot of money making the film, they also probably spent a s*** ton of money marketing the film. I guess when you invest a certain amount of money, you expect a certain worthwhile return. You green light this huge budget, you pay all these big name actors, you go full force on the marketing... maybe WB just didn't feel the juice was worth the squeeze. With all the money they pumped into this thing, they probably expected more.

You're right, if a movie like Thor grossed 600 million it would have been considered a colossal achievement because it was probably done on 60% of the budget and they probably didn't spend nearly the same amount of energy marketing the movie as WB did with Man Of Steel.
Except that WB made 170mill worth of marketing deals with various major brands and outlets, contributing greatly to the marketing budget!
You guys want to delude yourselves into thinking that this movie was a failure then go right ahead LOL!
I have to say reading the hype boards is such a riot!

Old 07-23-2013, 11:16 AM   #131
Skrilla31
Side-Kick

If this were planned from the beginning they would have made a more direct reference in MOS. Either an allusion to Bruce Wayne or Gotham City or something like that. Not an easter egg hardly anyone is going to notice. At the very least if they knew for certain that Batman was gonna show up in the sequel there would have been some type of hook thrown out there.

I'm sure this was on the back of their minds but it definitely wasn't the plan.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:17 AM   #132
JOE

The satellite thing counts, right?

"If you make yourself more than just an avatar, if you devote yourself to an ideal, you become something else entirely... A legend, Mr. SpideyK"

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat
Old 07-23-2013, 11:18 AM   #133
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superchan View Post
Except that WB made 170mill worth of marketing deals with various major brands and outlets, contributing greatly to the marketing budget!
You guys want to delude yourselves into thinking that this movie was a failure then go right ahead LOL!
As vapid as some of the members on here are with their lack of level-headedness and constant marvel vs dc bickering, I could never leave. It's too entertaining. It's like watching a train wreck.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:18 AM   #134
Skrilla31
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superchan View Post
I don't think it was a failure. I think it delivered beneath WB's expectations.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:19 AM   #135
Skrilla31
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE View Post
The satellite thing counts, right?
How many people noticed the WE logo? I sure as hell didn't. I'll bet you the majority didn't either.

Like I said, if they knew for certain Batman was gonna show up in the sequel... they would have put more than just a easter egg out there.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #136
JOE

Maybe that's why Batman will hate Superman, he destroyed his satellite. Knowing who's writing the next script, I wouldn't even rule it out.

"If you make yourself more than just an avatar, if you devote yourself to an ideal, you become something else entirely... A legend, Mr. SpideyK"

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat
Old 07-23-2013, 11:23 AM   #137
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE View Post
Maybe that's why Batman will hate Superman, he destroyed his satellite. Knowing who's writing the next script, I wouldn't even rule it out.
Batman having a ***** fit over his satellite ? Here for it

Old 07-23-2013, 11:29 AM   #138
Rowsdower!
Cal Kzing

"Hello.

My name is Batman.

You killed my satellite.

Prepare to die."

Chills.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:40 AM   #139
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Batman - 'Superman, I'm here to collect 800m for my *cough* I mean Bruce Wayne's satellite'

Old 07-23-2013, 11:46 AM   #140
kalelvis
Side-Kick

Even with the uneven quality of his work, there is one thing I think can be said for Zack Snyder, he gets cool ideas and then puts them on the screen. That is why his visual are celebrated even if his overall film work is criticized.

I can absolutely imagine Snyder (like many people did when they were talking about the movie having the WE satellite) saying "Wouldn't it be awesome if Batman showed up and.....(insert cool idea here)?" And then taking that idea to WB and them saying go for it. Sure they would have gotten dollar signs in their eyes the second they heard the idea but it doesn't mean the dollar signs came first.

in a world where movies make a billion plus and movie that has the potential and doesn't is going to be a bit disappointing. But there is something happening with MoS that did not happen with SR. There are people who absolutely loved it (yes, even some critics!). And if you check any forum that is discussing MoS there is heated debate from very passionate people who loved and hated it. It is being talked about.

If the critics response to the sequel is "A new supeman movie for the whole family" then the box office will take care of itself.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:52 AM   #141
Skrilla31
Side-Kick

Zach Snyder on the MOS sequel

"So, you know... you have all these cool ideas about what would happen if these two mythological icons were to ever meet. And like, on one side you have Superman and his truth and justice gig... and on the other side you have Batman with his dark and brooding thing right? So here we are about to make this movie and I'm like... what would happen if Batman ever found out about this alien being who broke his satellite? How can we explore that relationship? It's not just.. ya know, cool... but it's like.. Batman is also super pissed at Superman. So I'm really looking forward to showing you guys what happens..."

Old 07-23-2013, 11:55 AM   #142
blumatic
Side-Kick

Quote:
Zach Snyder on the MOS sequel

"So, you know... you have all these cool ideas about what would happen if these two mythological icons were to ever meet. And like, on one side you have Superman and his truth and justice gig... and on the other side you have Batman with his dark and brooding thing right? So here we are about to make this movie and I'm like... what would happen if Batman ever found out about this alien being who broke his satellite? How can we explore that relationship? It's not just.. ya know, cool... but it's like.. Batman is also super pissed at Superman. So I'm really looking forward to showing you guys what happens..."
Is there a link?

Old 07-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #143
Stephen K. Hone
Side-Kick

Quote:
How many people noticed the WE logo? I sure as hell didn't. I'll bet you the majority didn't either.

Like I said, if they knew for certain Batman was gonna show up in the sequel... they would have put more than just a easter egg out there.
It's amazing how you seem to know everything WB is/was going to do. I would say that 5-1/2 weeks out from MOS's release date it's unlikely that a Superman Batman team wasn't at least one out of a number of contingency plans the Filmmakers/WB had dependent on whatever they deemed would make the most sense from a financial standpoint. MOS performed great on week one and week three. That means using the logic some are using here, that about two weeks ago WB panicked and told Snyder/Goyer to hastily throw together a Superman/Batman team up to present at CConn to gin up anticipation
/interest for MOS2 which clearly they think would fail without The Batman. I'm not buying it. This was imo planned before MOS Came out.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:01 PM   #144
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumatic View Post
Is there a link?
Bro...

Old 07-23-2013, 12:03 PM   #145
Skrilla31
Side-Kick

David Goyer on the MOS sequel

"The most difficult challenge in conceptualizing a Superman movie was figuring out the right... recipe... so to speak. It wasn't the most easy challenge. You have to figure out some way to bring that origin into the fold and also have it translate in a way audiences aren't really used to seeing. So I pulled from all the most well known Superman comics and I think we did a pretty decent job. Now it's all about figuring out where to go from there. I know the biggest question on everyone's mind is whether or not Batman demands reimbursement for the satellite that Superman broke in his fight with General Zod. But remember Batman is just a normal guy and Superman is like a god. So he's gonna have a real tough time getting Superman to write a check. I'm really excited to see where we could take this..."

Old 07-23-2013, 12:47 PM   #146
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
David Goyer on the MOS sequel

"The most difficult challenge in conceptualizing a Superman movie was figuring out the right... recipe... so to speak. It wasn't the most easy challenge. You have to figure out some way to bring that origin into the fold and also have it translate in a way audiences aren't really used to seeing. So I pulled from all the most well known Superman comics and I think we did a pretty decent job. Now it's all about figuring out where to go from there. I know the biggest question on everyone's mind is whether or not Batman demands reimbursement for the satellite that Superman broke in his fight with General Zod. But remember Batman is just a normal guy and Superman is like a god. So he's gonna have a real tough time getting Superman to write a check. I'm really excited to see where we could take this..."
You're.....good at this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post
But Captain America: The Winter Soldier wins. Everything. My first born son, even. It's the unicorn of the MCU.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:52 PM   #147
blumatic
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorKon-El View Post
Bro...
Lol. I was gonna say that it was not a really good impression. Even by words.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:56 PM   #148
Stephen K. Hone
Side-Kick

Any word on Monday's BO?

Old 07-23-2013, 12:59 PM   #149
FlawlessVictory
Side-Kick

Are you that bored Skrilla?

Old 07-23-2013, 01:18 PM   #150
Stephen K. Hone
Side-Kick

It just occurred to me that for the blu-ray release, show a clip before the movie with some Wayne industries people conferencing on a new super duper satellite uplink, when all of sudden it goes on the fritz. They look at each other and someone says " oh oh, someone is going to get hell for this. Get Mr Wayne on the line. Man, he is going to be pissed!" Cut to a close up of a cell phone ringing, and Batman's hand reaching to answer it. Voice over " Who ever is responsible is going to pay for this!" Fade to black cue the superman/Batman logo with 2015 below it.

Closed Thread