The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2013, 07:31 AM   #276
regwec
Shakespearo
 
regwec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Herne's Oak
Posts: 23,930
Default Re: Is anyone else not excited about Superman and Batman? I feel nothing but dread.

I kind of agree. I think Marvel sprinkles on 'substance' in the same way that Disney uses a peppering of humour to keep parents awake.

__________________
Better Off ----> Out
Love Freedom?
regwec is online now  
Old 07-30-2013, 08:03 AM   #277
Ita-KalEl
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,754
Default Re: Is anyone else not excited about Superman and Batman? I feel nothing but dread.

I'm excited about the movie.
At WB they did exactly what I thought about a 100% successful Superman sequel. Now it sure that the Tomb Raider curse it will not happen. Superman/Batman will do at least 800m ww if not a lot more.

My doubts:

1) The movie can not be focused on the Superman Vs Batman battle. Too stupid to be real. Of course they need to fight, but maybe at the beginning, like it happened in the Avengers, then they need to team up to fight a common villain.
The World's Finest of Steve Rude and Dave Gibbons could be a perfect inspiration.


2) For the general public Batman is the Batman of the Nolan's trilogy. All my friends are expecting Bale in the movie. Of course it will not happen.
The cast and the portrait of the character is crucial for the success of a movie.
Infact at marvel/disney all they future billions are hostage of robert downey jr's mood.


If I were at WB I would decide for a recast a la Batman Forever. A lot of people does not understand why Batman Forever was successful despite the terrible Director. The reason was that BF was a hybrid and still had a lot of elements of the Burton's movies (Alfred, the batcave and the batsuit). Then Schumacher forced his hand on Batman and Robin and we know how much terrible it was.

In some way it was the same story of Richard Lester and the Superman franchise. His contribution in Superman II was very good, because his humor mixed very well with the dramatic tone of the Donner's movie. His Superman (Supes III) was only a pathetic comedy with a superhero inside.

So, please WB, try to cast a credible batman, use the same atmosphere of Nolan's trilogy, maybe the same sets, recast Michael Caine as Alfred and everything will go well.

Ita-KalEl is offline  
Old 07-31-2013, 07:58 PM   #278
herolee10
S.W. Mourner
 
herolee10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 16,399
Default Re: Is anyone else not excited about Superman and Batman? I feel nothing but dread.

With the recent buzz about Snyder meeting up with Miller regarding the next Superman film, this other set of news probably won't make people feel any bit better.


Quote:
A Superman Homepage source managed to speak to Zack Snyder yesterday, and put to him the concerns of some Superman fans, with Snyder remarking, "It's too early for me to discuss the film. However, regardless of how I feel about Superman, ultimately I have to go along with the direction that Warner Bros. thinks is best".
Source: Supermanhomepage



So I guess that probably adds to the theory that this new film was probably more Warner Brosís idea than it was Snyderís and that this wasnít how things were originally planned out in terms of the future for MOS.

And given that itís more than just a strong possibility that Warner Bros. views Batman as their prodigy than they do Batman, given his recent success, it wouldnít be surprising if they have Snyder portray Batman being superior to Superman in the same way on how Fox seems to favor Wolverine over the likes of Cyclops.

herolee10 is online now  
Old 07-31-2013, 08:06 PM   #279
jmc
callin' it like I see it
 
jmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: I come from the land Down Under
Posts: 21,627
Default Re: Is anyone else not excited about Superman and Batman? I feel nothing but dread.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if that's true.

__________________
Celebrating 75 years of Batman saving Gotham City.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline  
Old 07-31-2013, 08:14 PM   #280
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Moderator
 
flickchick85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 12,477
Default Re: Is anyone else not excited about Superman and Batman? I feel nothing but dread.

That "dread" in the thread title is starting to creep into my feelings as well. I mean, I already had a degree of trepidation about the initial announcement (since I wanted a full blown Superman sequel) while still being excited about the potential of these two icons on the big screen together for the first time, but every new little tidbit we've heard about this has made it sound worse to me.

__________________
4.19.14
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

01000110011011110111001000100000011001010111011001 10010101110010011110010010000001100001011101000110 11110110110100100000011000100110010101101100011011 11011011100110011101101001011011100110011100100000 01110100011011110010000001101101011001010010000001 10000101110011001000000110011101101111011011110110 01000010000001100010011001010110110001101111011011 10011001110111001100100000011101000110111100100000 01111001011011110111010100101110
flickchick85 is offline  
Old 07-31-2013, 08:40 PM   #281
marcvader
Lurker #1
SHH! Moderator
 
marcvader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The MIA
Posts: 10,584
Default Re: Is anyone else not excited about Superman and Batman? I feel nothing but dread.

I was hoping to get a full-blown sequel to MOS

__________________
* * *CAPTAIN AMERICA* * *
******THE WINTER SOLDIER******
__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
GO PHINS
HAIL HYDRA!
marcvader is offline  
Old 07-31-2013, 09:24 PM   #282
jmc
callin' it like I see it
 
jmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: I come from the land Down Under
Posts: 21,627
Default Re: Is anyone else not excited about Superman and Batman? I feel nothing but dread.

I'll be honest, this sounds like such a small detail but to me the reason to be apprehensive about this film is frankly the logo they used during the Comic-Con announcement. For such a massive announcement you want to depict an image that represents the film you're going to make, instead what we got looked as if it was thrown together at the last minute. If such little thought was put into a simple logo announcing the film then it's honestly hard to be confident this film is being made for the right reasons. That's the question we have to ask - is this film being made for the right reasons? If it's not then we're in trouble.

__________________
Celebrating 75 years of Batman saving Gotham City.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline  
Old 07-31-2013, 09:30 PM   #283
Poni_Boy
Giggedy
 
Poni_Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 6,353
Default Re: Is anyone else not excited about Superman and Batman? I feel nothing but dread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
I'll be honest, this sounds like such a small detail but to me the reason to be apprehensive about this film is frankly the logo they used during the Comic-Con announcement. For such a massive announcement you want to depict an image that represents the film you're going to make, instead what we got looked as if it was thrown together at the last minute. If such little thought was put into a simple logo announcing the film then it's honestly hard to be confident this film is being made for the right reasons. That's the question we have to ask - is this film being made for the right reasons? If it's not then we're in trouble.
Everything about that announcement was a last minute decision and I invoke "liar, liar, pants on fire" to anyone saying otherwise.

1) A quick Photoshop logo

2) Reading a passage from The Dark Knight Returns (not because it will be used in the movie or set its tone, but because it was the first one that comes to mind)

3) Not having Cavill on stage even though he was AT the Con

4) A two minute announcement after a two hour panel

5) NOTHING at the WB or DC booth to coincide with the announcement

It was a sloppy, and rushed over bit that was meant to get a quick WOW from the audience. Which at this point is exactly what I expect from the movie itself.

__________________


Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Poni_Boy is offline  
Old 07-31-2013, 10:49 PM   #284
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7,880
Default Re: Is anyone else not excited about Superman and Batman? I feel nothing but dread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poni_Boy View Post
Everything about that announcement was a last minute decision and I invoke "liar, liar, pants on fire" to anyone saying otherwise.

1) A quick Photoshop logo

2) Reading a passage from The Dark Knight Returns (not because it will be used in the movie or set its tone, but because it was the first one that comes to mind)

3) Not having Cavill on stage even though he was AT the Con

4) A two minute announcement after a two hour panel

5) NOTHING at the WB or DC booth to coincide with the announcement

It was a sloppy, and rushed over bit that was meant to get a quick WOW from the audience. Which at this point is exactly what I expect from the movie itself.
MOS was flawed, but it has had more production time/post than MOS2 appears to have.

Add to it that WB just wants a quick and convenient movie to transition into Rushtice League, and we might not see a DCu unless JL is a financially successful MASTERPIECE (and a positive critical score could help).

TheFlamingCoco is offline  
Old 07-31-2013, 11:11 PM   #285
Smallville13
Side-Kick
 
Smallville13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,951
Default Re: Is anyone else not excited about Superman and Batman? I feel nothing but dread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
With the recent buzz about Snyder meeting up with Miller regarding the next Superman film, this other set of news probably won't make people feel any bit better.




Source: Supermanhomepage



So I guess that probably adds to the theory that this new film was probably more Warner Bros’s idea than it was Snyder’s and that this wasn’t how things were originally planned out in terms of the future for MOS.

And given that it’s more than just a strong possibility that Warner Bros. views Batman as their prodigy than they do Batman, given his recent success, it wouldn’t be surprising if they have Snyder portray Batman being superior to Superman in the same way on how Fox seems to favor Wolverine over the likes of Cyclops.
Jesus. Why is it not getting any easier to start to look forward to this movie?

Smallville13 is offline  
Old 07-31-2013, 11:17 PM   #286
DvilDog
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: texas
Posts: 1,127
Default Re: Is anyone else not excited about Superman and Batman? I feel nothing but dread.

I swear you guys and ladies give me ulcers. I'm stoked for this. Superman and Batman together! Hell I'm not even a fanboy and that sounds like a wet dream. Not that there aren't a lot of valid points being thrown around but all I see is half glass empty pessimistic views. I for one loved MOS, I don't know whether that makes me simple minded or just easy to please. It wasn't perfect but I can tell you I certainly enjoyed it more than any film in the TDK Trilogy. Maybe I just don't have the IQ to understand. Or I guess I'm just a blind superman fan. Guess I need to bounce out of here again, cause ya'll are just depressing me.

DvilDog is offline  
Old 07-31-2013, 11:18 PM   #287
Hurm...
GreenGoblin1964(2006)
 
Hurm...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: USA, Canada, England
Posts: 4,087
Default Re: Is anyone else not excited about Superman and Batman? I feel nothing but dread.

All you need to know is the title, Batman vs. Superman, to know that this is strictly a cash grab.

__________________

BRRRRRRMMMMMMM



Hurm... is online now  
Old 07-31-2013, 11:31 PM   #288
herolee10
S.W. Mourner
 
herolee10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 16,399
Default Re: Is anyone else not excited about Superman and Batman? I feel nothing but dread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvilDog View Post
I swear you guys and ladies give me ulcers. I'm stoked for this. Superman and Batman together! Hell I'm not even a fanboy and that sounds like a wet dream. Not that there aren't a lot of valid points being thrown around but all I see is half glass empty pessimistic views. I for one loved MOS, I don't know whether that makes me simple minded or just easy to please. It wasn't perfect but I can tell you I certainly enjoyed it more than any film in the TDK Trilogy. Maybe I just don't have the IQ to understand. Or I guess I'm just a blind superman fan. Guess I need to bounce out of here again, cause ya'll are just depressing me.
Well, I'm not sure about others but I'll gladly give my input as to why a good amount of people here don't see or have any reason to be exactly happy in seeing this film to come fruition.

1. One of the folks over at Supermhomepage just talked with Snyder who just pretty much confirmed that regardless of what he may think about Superman, that this new film and its direction will be decided by Warner Bros, who are all about the money and to them, Batman has made more money than Superman (which is sadly true as well).

2. Snyder is going to meet with Miller, of all people, to talk about this new film. You do realize that Miller was responsible for characterizing Superman in a very infamous way in his "The Dark Knight Returns" comic book arc where Superman was nothing more than a government stooge that did anything, even if it was immoral, for the sake of the country and government right?

3. Superman has had a long history where he has been portrayed very poorly and as a lesser being than batman in past interpretations where they've been together on screen, namely the animation department.


Do I really need to go on about this?

herolee10 is online now  
Old 07-31-2013, 11:35 PM   #289
Andreth
Side-Kick
 
Andreth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Fangtasia
Posts: 2,699
Default Re: Is anyone else not excited about Superman and Batman? I feel nothing but dread.

Quote:
That "dread" in the thread title is starting to creep into my feelings as well.
ugh, all this dread is getting to me too.
MoS wasn't that good to begin with and now all I see are more red flags:
  • Using a TDKR quote to announce the movie
  • Snyder's pessimistic quote
  • Snyder meeting with Frank Miller for "advice"


__________________
"A 12 year old Ben Linus brought me a chicken salad sandwich. How do you think I'm doing?"
LOST


"A human with me at the end, and human tears. 2000 years and I can still be surprised. In this I see God."
TRUEBLOOD
Andreth is offline  
Old 07-31-2013, 11:47 PM   #290
herolee10
S.W. Mourner
 
herolee10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 16,399
Default Re: Is anyone else not excited about Superman and Batman? I feel nothing but dread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreth View Post
ugh, all this dread is getting to me too.
MoS wasn't that good to begin with and now all I see are more red flags:
  • Using a TDKR quote to announce the movie
  • Snyder's pessimistic quote
  • Snyder meeting with Frank Miller for "advice"


herolee10 is online now  
Old 07-31-2013, 11:48 PM   #291
Poni_Boy
Giggedy
 
Poni_Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 6,353
Default Re: Is anyone else not excited about Superman and Batman? I feel nothing but dread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
MOS was flawed, but it has had more production time/post than MOS2 appears to have.

Add to it that WB just wants a quick and convenient movie to transition into Rushtice League, and we might not see a DCu unless JL is a financially successful MASTERPIECE (and a positive critical score could help).
They lost me at the 'Superman is the first costumed hero to exist in this universe and everyone else suits up as a response to that.' Which means they've completely changed the motivation of Bruce Wayne becoming Batman. No thanks. I have two Batman series I love, Nolan's and Burton's. You guys can have this one

__________________


Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Poni_Boy is offline  
Old 07-31-2013, 11:52 PM   #292
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7,880
Default Re: Is anyone else not excited about Superman and Batman? I feel nothing but dread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poni_Boy View Post
They lost me at the 'Superman is the first costumed hero to exist in this universe and everyone else suits up as a response to that.' Which means they've completely changed the motivation of Bruce Wayne becoming Batman. No thanks. I have two Batman series I love, Nolan's and Burton's. You guys can have this one
Or maybe they just come out of the closet. BESIDES, Superman is DC's first superhero, possibly of all comics. I don't mind the new movie universe referencing that.

TheFlamingCoco is offline  
Old 07-31-2013, 11:53 PM   #293
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized
 
BatLobsterRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,449
Default Re: Is anyone else not excited about Superman and Batman? I feel nothing but dread.

Do we know for certain that the Snyder quote is real?

Idk, seems kinda fishy to me. Even though this most likely is a studio mandate, I don't see him as the type of guy who would throw WB under the bus and kind of point the finger at them publicly. It's sending out bad signals about the film so early in the game, which is not very professional.

__________________
IMAGINE THE FIRE
My TDKR Metal cover
My MOS Trailer 3 score recreation
My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline  
Old 08-01-2013, 12:03 AM   #294
Poni_Boy
Giggedy
 
Poni_Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 6,353
Default Re: Is anyone else not excited about Superman and Batman? I feel nothing but dread.

It's not Snyder it's Goyer (the guy writing MOS2 and supposedly JL)

"In our world, the Man of Steel world, Zack has gone on record saying that we’re implying there are other superheroes in this world. But I don’t know that they’ve come forward yet. The idea is that Superman is the first one. There might be people helping people, but not in costumes, and that Superman comes forward and announces himself to the world. In him announcing himself, he’s the one that changes things."

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/06/...-league-movie/

Which in itself means that every other costumed hero suits up as a direct response to Superman's coming out party. I'm not ok with that. Batman's motivation to do his thing should have absolutely nothing to do with anyone else except his parents.

__________________


Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Poni_Boy is offline  
Old 08-01-2013, 12:06 AM   #295
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7,880
Default Re: Is anyone else not excited about Superman and Batman? I feel nothing but dread.

^ I don't like that idea. I'd rather they all be costumed heroes with their own internal cities/areas, with unconnected origins who happen to think more globally in response to Superman, who is the first to show himself publicly to the world.

TheFlamingCoco is offline  
Old 08-01-2013, 12:08 AM   #296
herolee10
S.W. Mourner
 
herolee10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 16,399
Default Re: Is anyone else not excited about Superman and Batman? I feel nothing but dread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Do we know for certain that the Snyder quote is real?

Idk, seems kinda fishy to me. Even though this most likely is a studio mandate, I don't see him as the type of guy who would throw WB under the bus and kind of point the finger at them publicly. It's sending out bad signals about the film so early in the game, which is not very professional.
Well Supermanhompage is a pretty reliable and well established site so i don't see why it would necessarily be false info.

herolee10 is online now  
Old 08-01-2013, 12:09 AM   #297
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized
 
BatLobsterRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,449
Default Re: Is anyone else not excited about Superman and Batman? I feel nothing but dread.

Oh no, I meant this quote from today:

Quote:
"It's too early for me to discuss the film. However, regardless of how I feel about Superman, ultimately I have to go along with the direction that Warner Bros. thinks is best".
Completely unrelated to what you guys were talking about, sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Well Supermanhompage is a pretty reliable and well established site so i don't see why it would necessarily be false info.
Yeah. That's pretty crazy. Pretty much a direct confirmation that this is a studio mandate. That is a rather worrying quote. It's as if he's trying to deflect the blame for the film preemptively.

__________________
IMAGINE THE FIRE
My TDKR Metal cover
My MOS Trailer 3 score recreation
My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline  
Old 08-01-2013, 12:11 AM   #298
Poni_Boy
Giggedy
 
Poni_Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 6,353
Default Re: Is anyone else not excited about Superman and Batman? I feel nothing but dread.

That is quite possibly the worst thing Snyder could have said about this project. It's the ultimate, unabashed scapegoat. Jesus

__________________


Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Poni_Boy is offline  
Old 08-01-2013, 12:13 AM   #299
herolee10
S.W. Mourner
 
herolee10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 16,399
Default Re: Is anyone else not excited about Superman and Batman? I feel nothing but dread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Oh no, I meant this quote from today:



Completely unrelated to what you guys were talking about, sorry.



Yeah. That's pretty crazy. Pretty much a direct confirmation that this is a studio mandate. That is a rather worrying quote. It's as if he's trying to deflect the blame for the film preemptively.
Indeed.

Honestly, I think it would have been better for him if he had not taken the gig.

This could hurt his career even worse than what Sucker Punch did to it.

herolee10 is online now  
Old 08-01-2013, 12:15 AM   #300
JackMercy
Side-Kick
 
JackMercy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,455
Default Re: Is anyone else not excited about Superman and Batman? I feel nothing but dread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Do we know for certain that the Snyder quote is real?

Idk, seems kinda fishy to me. Even though this most likely is a studio mandate, I don't see him as the type of guy who would throw WB under the bus and kind of point the finger at them publicly. It's sending out bad signals about the film so early in the game, which is not very professional.
Doesn't sound so fishy when compared to Snyder's quote a few months back: "I think Superman should get a little further down the road [before a Justice League film]."

What is weird about Superman Homepage's assertion is that the newest quote attributed to Snyder sounds very much like something he would reveal, but only in confidence (i.e. not intended for public dispersal).

I'm wondering if SH had formal "permission" to run with this or not...

__________________
CS/SHH!: Well in the first film...(Bale sees the guy asking the question is wearing a Superman T-shirt.)

Bale: Are you doing that on purpose? You woke up this morning and went "right." (laughing)
JackMercy is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:42 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.