The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 07:44 AM   #351
regwec
Shakespearo

Default Re: Is anyone else not excited about Superman and Batman? I feel nothing but dread.

I'm there. I'll bring some action figures, a small firework and a camcorder, and we can make a better movie at the same time.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:45 AM   #352
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Default Re: Is anyone else not excited about Superman and Batman? I feel nothing but dread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
MAkes two of us. Beer at a pub opening night? My treat.
He says, with a Wolverine avatar.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:47 AM   #353
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
He says, with a Wolverine avatar.
Er, MCU != X-universe.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:47 AM   #354
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
I'm there. I'll bring some action figures, a small firework and a camcorder, and we can make a better movie at the same time.
Only if they resemble Idris, Michael and Benedict.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:48 AM   #355
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

lol; I honestly can't remember the last time where I saw this much dread when it came to the anticipation for a Superman film, but then again, these are a unique set of circumstances I suppose.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:51 AM   #356
regwec
Shakespearo

Most of it is posted by you, to be fair.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:54 AM   #357
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
Er, MCU != X-universe.

MCU factorial? o.O

Old 08-01-2013, 07:56 AM   #358
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Most of it is posted by you, to be fair.
haha, tis true, but if it's of any consolation, I've been seeing several posters from other superman/comic book related sites having the same issues that have been brought up here by me and other posters here.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:57 AM   #359
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
lol; I honestly can't remember the last time where I saw this much dread when it came to the anticipation for a Superman film, but then again, these are a unique set of circumstances I suppose.
Yeah, I figured you and me would have calmed down about this by now. But the thread continues.

I don't know when. Maybe when Batman is cast. Or the set photos show up....

The thing is it's obvious the marketing is going to have a heavy emphasis on Batman, just like TDK with the Joker, who had I think someone counted at like 20 mins actual screentime. If this is still a 'Superman film', I can see something similar happening with Batman, but I can see him being the 'show-stealer' in the same way. At least that's what Snyder will be aiming for. That said I'm not even sure about that. I think with Batman being the selling point for this film, we should probably expect him to be in at least half of it...

Old 08-01-2013, 07:58 AM   #360
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville13 View Post
Yeah, I figured you and me would have calmed down about this by now. But the thread continues.

I don't know when. Maybe when Batman is cast. Or the set photos show up....

The thing is it's obvious the marketing is going to have a heavy emphasis on Batman, just like TDK with the Joker, who had I think someone counted at like 20 mins actual screentime. If this is still a 'Superman film', I can see something similar happening with Batman, but I can see him being the 'show-stealer' in the same way. At least that's what Snyder will be aiming for. That said I'm not even sure about that. I think with Batman being the selling point for this film, we should probably expect him to be in at least half of it...
lol, well I don't know about you, but I think I'm a little better than how I was back when the news was first announced and I thought I was getting better until we received the news about Miller and Snyder's comments.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:05 AM   #361
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
lol, well I don't know about you, but I think I'm a little better than how I was back when the news was first announced and I thought I was getting better until we received the news about Miller and Snyder's comments.
Ha yeah. I'm still disappointed, but not as much as I'd be if MOS was everything I wanted. Or on the other side of that, if MOS was everything I wanted, maybe I'd be content with this film happening, always having MOS to go back to anyways. Perhaps it's the fact that there was so much missing in MOS that the sequel getting hijacked by Batman makes it worse. I dunno.

2015's a long time away.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:08 AM   #362
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Ha yeah. I'm still disappointed, but not as much as I'd be if MOS was everything I wanted. Or on the other side of that, if MOS was everything I wanted, maybe I'd be content with this film happening, always having MOS to go back to anyways. Perhaps it's the fact that there was so much missing in MOS that the sequel getting hijacked by Batman makes it worse. I dunno.

2015's a long time away.

Yeah, I agree. I think with the way that MOS was crafted, it was pretty intentional to have some of the story arcs not fully answered or tackled until the next film, which we all thought and believe should be a direct solo sequel to it,

That and the fact that Superman hasn't had a direct sequel in over thirty years and that Batman has already had his time in the spotlight to shine.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:14 AM   #363
regwec
Shakespearo

The Miller thing is a bit ominous. Perhaps Snyder, as a true fanboy, will use the meeting to punch him in the face.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:16 AM   #364
Zionite1
Side-Kick

One thing I dont understand is how Batman wld be a good way to show societys reaction to Superman.I mean Batman is more of an outsider like Superman,even more so.I can see how Lex ,Metallo, but Batman.Hes on the Anti-establishment side just like MOS Superman?

Old 08-01-2013, 09:43 AM   #365
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zionite1 View Post
One thing I dont understand is how Batman wld be a good way to show societys reaction to Superman.I mean Batman is more of an outsider like Superman,even more so.I can see how Lex ,Metallo, but Batman.Hes on the Anti-establishment side just like MOS Superman?
I wouldn't try to apply that kind of logic to it. It's clearly not a considered thematic move.

That's the most disappointing thing to me. It's like Snyder said in the promo for MOS: The best thing about Superman is what we can learn about ourselves from him. Depicting Superman juxtaposed in a grounded real-world mirror of our society, is such a strong device. And allows for much more stronger relevant points about our humanity and our current state of affairs than even TDK was capable of.

When it's just Superman and 'us', this is possible. When it's Batman and Superman we've entered light fantasy camp. There's no intelligent self-reflecting story that can be told. Suddenly Superman is not exclusive to his own world anymore, there's a peak condition human ninja dressed as a bat that can oppose him in a fight. We've entered a fanboy dream comic-book world now. Something Nolan's films were able to avoid, despite having some comic-book elements.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:47 AM   #366
STARMAN
Side-Kick

I have a feeling we may see a sequel to Man From Uncle before Man of Steel.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:48 AM   #367
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
The Miller thing is a bit ominous. Perhaps Snyder, as a true fanboy, will use the meeting to punch him in the face.
Ha ha I'd love to see the headlines, "WHOSE THE GODAMN BATMAN NOW MILLER?!"

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 08-01-2013, 10:57 AM   #368
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
I wouldn't try to apply that kind of logic to it. It's clearly not a considered thematic move.

That's the most disappointing thing to me. It's like Snyder said in the promo for MOS: The best thing about Superman is what we can learn about ourselves from him. Depicting Superman juxtaposed in a grounded real-world mirror of our society, is such a strong device. And allows for much more stronger relevant points about our humanity and our current state of affairs than even TDK was capable of.

When it's just Superman and 'us', this is possible. When it's Batman and Superman we've entered light fantasy camp. There's no intelligent self-reflecting story that can be told. Suddenly Superman is not exclusive to his own world anymore, there's a peak condition human ninja dressed as a bat that can oppose him in a fight. We've entered a fanboy dream comic-book world now. Something Nolan's films were able to avoid, despite having some comic-book elements.
I'd actually argue that Batman is an extreme example of mankind's paranoia and mistrust. There can be a way to weave him into the narrative while being thematically sound and building upon MOS. But it looks like a team-up movie, which will be predictable and feel rushed, especially if it fails to build upon MOS.

Also, fanboy dream comic world sounds like a diss on the genre. I'd want to move to a fanboy dream comic world, provided that they are smart and unified.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:05 AM   #369
shauner111
Side-Kick

Whoever is not thrilled about seeing Batman and Superman on screen is pretty much dead inside. 75 years people. It's all coming together in one moment. The only way it would suck is if the actor for Bats is terrible and doesn't have that chemistry with Cavill, because that's important. Otherwise this can be a straight up popcorn action movie and I wouldn't care. It's goddamn Batman and motha****in Superman! How are people not wetting their pants? Don't be so serious.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:09 AM   #370
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ I'd be FINE with that movie, actually. I'd want it-IMMEDIATELY after MOS2, though.
This allows Clark and his world to be fleshed out more and appreciated before being paired up with a fan favorite. And I am perfectly fine with Superman/Batman being a "popcorn" movie. It'd be silly for it to try to be TDK. HOWEVER, I'd want a weighter, character-driven film before it. I'd rather wait 2, 3, or even 4 years for a team-up, then see MOS2 lose narrative focus to the Caped Crusader.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:16 AM   #371
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
Whoever is not thrilled about seeing Batman and Superman on screen is pretty much dead inside. 75 years people. It's all coming together in one moment. The only way it would suck is if the actor for Bats is terrible and doesn't have that chemistry with Cavill, because that's important. Otherwise this can be a straight up popcorn action movie and I wouldn't care. It's goddamn Batman and motha****in Superman! How are people not wetting their pants? Don't be so serious.
The reason people aren't excited is because there's way more than just one way the movie could suck. There are in fact hundreds of reasons why this movie could suck, but the big ones are:

Being stupid.

Being very sloppily written.

Having long, boring, ball-numbing meaningless action scenes.

Having terrible dialogue.

Not making any sense.

Having a ton of plot holes.

Having terrible pacing.

Not really being about anything.

Having poorly written and developed characters.

Failing to connect emotionally with the audience in any way.

People who aren't excited are people who think some or all of those things are likely to happen.

And me personally, the fact that it is something as cool and epic as Batman and Superman on screen together is why I'm skeptical. I want that to happen more than anything, but more than that I want it to be good. If we waste our opportunity on stupid obnoxious schlock, I won't be sated by the fact that "hey, it's Supermand and Batman." I'll be really mad, because they wasted the first every Superman/Batman movie.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:18 AM   #372
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
Seeing them together on screen us exciting but WBs have let us down so many times its easy to be apprehensive. You're saying no way it's gonna suck cause if the two characters but if its not written correctly, cast properly etc it could easily suck.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:19 AM   #373
STARMAN
Side-Kick

It could go wrong in many ways and it already feels a little wrong because MOS 2 isn't coming first.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:21 AM   #374
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARMAN View Post
It could go wrong in many ways and it already feels a little wrong because MOS 2 isn't coming first.
Yeah there's that too, I didn't need a MOS trilogy but to get a solo Superman sequel was important to me. But the greedy feckers at WBs have other ideas.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:26 AM   #375
shauner111
Side-Kick

Well I guess im just not nitpicky with this. I never cared about team-ups growing up but now just to get a Superman/Batman movie feels awesome to me. I don't care how it's done or how popcorny it is. As long as it's not like a Clooney type Batman with a Routh type Superman lol. I loved MOS. I just don't see how I would be disappointed and I guess I don't get the complaints since it's well.....Batman & Superman. Visually awesome? Check. Decent (might not be great) story? check. Don't see the problem here. When you see the trailers you should form some judgements.

Closed Thread