The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Misc. TV Series

Old 07-23-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
BlackMagicWolf
He who is BlackMagic

Default Pokemon: The Original Series Talk

So I'm a big Pokémon fan. Love the games, love the movies, and of course I love the tv show. I'm 23 and I wake every Saturday to watch a new episode.

Me and my friends got talking the other day about the original series. You know the Kanto adventures and we started talking about our favorite moments, favorite battles, favorite episodes. And we realized that we all had moments that just stuck out in our heads.

Whether it was about the connection between Ash and his Pokémon, an epic Gym battle, or an episode we just remember though we haven't seen it in years.

So after a while we wondered if anyone else had this same feeling. So I thought I would post it here.

What are your favorite moments from the original series? It can be anything. Feel free to say five words or five paragraphs it's up to you. If we get through it all we can go to Johto (I doubt that'll happen quickly).

So Pokémon Masters....what're your favorite memories of Pokémon?

Check it out! Then check out our Facebook page! Also, we're on Twitter! @Guardians_Comic
BlackMagicWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Default Re: Pokemon: The Original Series Talk

I've always found the Pokémon show such a waste of potential. It started off with some promise. Ash setting out to be a master. Some of the first episodes were quite memorable, before the show settled into a dull routine, that got repeated ad nauseam. I remember the episode with Sabrina in particular (that was genuinely creepy), or the one where Ash actually faces a serious dilemma with deciding whether or not to evolve Pikachu.

But the show, really, got repetitive. Ash never aged, or really evolved. With the exception of Charizard, none of the Pokémon get much if any development. The stakes always remain the same, and there's no end goal in sight. They "fight" Team Rocket every damn episode. After seven hundred episodes, you have to wonder what the hell a Pokémon master even is. How many damn badges do you need?

Imagine if they actually made a decent budget show, with major story arcs, and real villains like the movies.

Thundercrack85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:19 PM   #3
Asgard
Kanga Fu

I always thought Ash and Misty were gonna hookup.

Asgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:47 PM   #4
BlackMagicWolf
He who is BlackMagic

No offense Thundercrack but you're kind of off on that. Yes the episodes can be seen as repetitive and you know that Ash will at least make it to the regions leagues but for the other stuff you're kind of wrong.

Ash did evolve (before B/W happened then he got reset for some reason) as he had to ask difficult questions about his style. In Sinnoh he went up repeatedly against a guy who had the exact opposite style of raising Pokémon. He was abusive, militaristic of sorts, he yelled instead of cared and was never afraid to dump a Pokémon because it was weak. The weird part was that his style worked and repeatedly beat Ash until they met in the Sinnoh League.

A lot of the Pokémon get development arcs, Chimchar was a big arc in Sinnoh, Axew in B/W, Aipom, Starly, Treecko, Tepig, Turtwig all had big arcs.

They actually changed the formula in B/W to where they don't fight Team Rocket all the time. It's more rare now. And as for villains and major arcs they've had that since Hoenn. They just wrapped up the Team Plasma storyline with N and I thought it was great.

They do alright and that's all I ask for. Now let's get back on topic.

Asgard: I think a lot of people wanted them to, they're goodbye was a very powerful moment.

Check it out! Then check out our Facebook page! Also, we're on Twitter! @Guardians_Comic
Old 07-24-2013, 03:19 PM   #5
Ramsay Snow
Winter's Saviour

I got really bored during the Hoenn Season and then when Diamond came and either before or after the voices changed or something (sounded different to me) I got turned off. I also got really tired of Jessie and James and wanted some major villains with a lot of screentime than that duo. I also personally wanted Team Rocket to be like this badass and threatening mafia/gangsters, but that's just a wish and not a criticism of the show.

And I'm a huge Pokemon game fan. The game is one my only franchises that I'm devoted to.

I still kinda liked the early seasons for the most part, especially the first Pokemon League with the music and stuff. So cool. So I won't forget this show back then. Never.

Ramsay Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:32 PM   #6
Lord
All Mighty

The manga is better

In least this one, it's called Pokémon Adventures and started around the same time as the show, but it's plot is in a way closer to the games, it also changes protagonist in every generation just like them, with previous trainers appearing once in a while for big events.

The first arc is Red/ Green/ Blue and it lasts 3 volumes, the protagonist i called Red instead of Ash, just like the games. And a major difference between Red and Ash is that he actually acomplished something, he ages, evolves as a character, and becomes the #1 trainer. He's quite the badass in fact.

The manga is still ongoing since 97, if you're a Pokémon fan you should definitelly take a look, the CEO of the Pokémon Company even said: "I want every Pokémon fan to read this comic!"[

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:33 PM   #7
DarkSovereignty
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

I enjoyed the show when I was a child, and still enjoy playing the games from time to time, but in retrospect I think digimon was a much better show.

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
DarkSovereignty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:48 PM   #8
Lord
All Mighty

Yeah, Digimon was a much better show.

Sorry for going back to Pokémon Adventures but did i mention that Giovannis has a role and is badass?

Quote:
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Old 07-24-2013, 07:07 PM   #9
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

Moving to the anime forum.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:45 PM   #10
MMMMM...Pancakes
DoubleChivas on the Rocks

Bye Bye Butterfree

MMMMM...Pancakes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:14 PM   #11
BlackMagicWolf
He who is BlackMagic

Rogue Agent: You're right actually. During the 10th Anniversary Special they changed the voice cast and that crew has been doing it ever since. I can understand you getting out but you did miss out. During the current interation, Black and White, Team Rocket got revamped with Jesse and James basically becoming secret agents for Team Rocket. They didn't fight Ash much except for in major events and they're bad-ack. I love the games too. I own every color, even the remakes cause they mean that much to me. I'll never forget this show ever.

Lord: I know of the Manga but never read it (problems with being a child) if they're free and you have a link post it and I'll read it. Oh and Giovanni does look BA.

DarkSovereignty: I LOVED watching both Pokémon and Digimon (Seasons 1-4, I refuse to believe there is something after them). To this day I still imagine myself in those shows, and I still remember all the theme songs. Good times for a great childhood. Digimon had deeper stories but Pokémon I think had more heartfelt stuff at the beginning.

Dounuts: Yes Butterfree was a sad moment. In the beginning Ash lost a lot of Pokémon. I'm glad they didn't continue that trend but it did show a lot of maturity from Ash for being a 10-year-old kid.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:04 PM   #12
herolee10
Ultimate Hero

As other have mentioned, the series was probably at its best during the Indigo and Orange League seasons. It showed promise when we were introduced to the 2nd generation of new pokemon, but as time progressed, things started to become stale again and like others have mentioned, it just became a routine.

And I don’t know why, but I hate it on how the show’s creators always seem to place a reset button on Ash’s knowledge on pokemon, let alone pikachu’s power since with all of the experience and battles it’s been in, there’s no way that it should lose as much as it has, let alone to novice trainers no less.

And at this point, there’s no reason to even think that Ash is ever going to win the “big one” and become Pokemon champion of a major pokemon league. He always loses near the end.

Frankly, the anime commercial that was released for Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 was a million times better than the last 3-4 seasons of the anime.

herolee10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:25 PM   #13
MMMMM...Pancakes

Just ordered the manga Red/Blue box set, always wanted to, but this thread got me to finally do it.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:49 AM   #14
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMMM...Dounuts View Post
Just ordered the manga Red/Blue box set, always wanted to, but this thread got me to finally do it.
Glad it caused that effect
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMagicWolf View Post
Lord: I know of the Manga but never read it (problems with being a child) if they're free and you have a link post it and I'll read it. Oh and Giovanni does look BA.
Just search "read Pokémon adventures online" on the internet, you'll find a site to read very easily, but be warned that the first few scans are a little confusing, the original group is this

Well, they changes their appearance from the first arc but as you can see there's a girl added, she's based on a concept for the player to choose a female character in the original games, Unfortunatelly the concept wasn't used until Pokémon Crystal.

Well, the girl in the japanese version is called Blue, due to the first games released there being POkemon red and Green, so in Japan the boy is names Green, Pokémon Blue was a special edition of Pokémon Green, but we got that version here instead of Green.

So because of that Viz changed their names and had the rival called Blue, while the Girl is called Green. Sometimes the scanlations also vary from being read from right to left, to being read from the usual way, since Viz originally released the first few chapters from a western perspective.

If you don't mind that go ahead, but be also warned that the scanlations are a little behind, Viz releases volumes more frequently than them. Either way the first group is my favorite, The girl was also a great addition to the cast, not seeing her in the anime is kind of sad.

In a poll for mangas that should be turned into anime it was even in the 3rd place:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/inte...-want-animated

But i fear that as long as Ash's show goes on there never will be one.

Quote:
Old 07-25-2013, 01:44 PM   #15
Ramsay Snow
Winter's Saviour

@BlackMagicWold - thanks! So, Are Jessie and James badass in the Black & White stuff? It's cool that Team Rocket still exists. Is there a clip of them being badass or something? I'd appreciate if you could share it if there is one!

I read the original manga and while I loved it, it was too dark for me so many bad guys too. Even some gym leaders are villains?! That's crazy, man. But that's just a personal thing, I think it was a good read and Blue was a thief and she was cool too. I liked it.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:15 PM   #16
BlackMagicWolf
He who is BlackMagic

Rogue Agent: Yeah they are, I can't find a good clip but they are epic. They even have jetpacks that they used to get away a lot. They would be the backstory a lot to show that there was a grander plot in play and it worked rather well. I'll let you know if I find a clip.

Dounuts: Glad to have inspired you.

Lord: I'll check it out. And you're right I doubt if they'll ever take Ash's show off so....

Herolee10: I hope you'll do your 10,000th post here so let me ask a question. What was your favorite moment in the original series? You can include Orange Islands if you want that was epic too.

And you're right I hate that they keep resetting Ash's brain. It's very upsetting. Case and point he was in a gym battle and FORGOT to bring three Pokémon to fight with........what? That's not the Ash I know. I honestly think they only reset him for B/W because Sinnoh had Ash true to form.

Oh and you other guys as well let me know you're favorite Pokémon moment was. And tell your friends I want to know what everyone thinks!

One of my personal favorites is when Gary goes up against Giovanni. He wins at first then they bring out an armored Mewtwo and he just owns Gary. It was great to see Gary lose. I know that's evil but so was Gary. And Mewtwo is my favorite Pokémon of all time so that helps too.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:39 PM   #17
MMMMM...Pancakes

Always really enjoyed the episode "Battle Aboard the St. Anne" may be my favorite episode, will have to do some thinking. Would laugh out loud at the Captain out on the lifeboat asking "Is everyone here? Good!" or something like that while Team Rocket, Ash and Co. were still on the boat.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:31 AM   #18
herolee10
Ultimate Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMagicWolf View Post

Herolee10: I hope you'll do your 10,000th post here so let me ask a question. What was your favorite moment in the original series? You can include Orange Islands if you want that was epic too.

Hmmm...I'm not sure if I have a moment where I consider to be my most favorite one from the series since I have plenty of moments that I remembered enjoying.lol

Some of the moments or even episodes that I enjoyed from the original series were, and not in any particular order of course:

1. The Orange League Championship Match

2. Metwo's Anime Debut

3. The First Four Matches that Ash had at the Pokemon League

4. Charizard vs Magmar

5. The episode involving the Bug Samurai

6. The Mysterious and womanizing golduck that Misty thought was hers

7. The large Dragonite episode

8. The pokemon school where people could attend to get badges or even the one badge that people needed to get into the League.

etc.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:16 AM   #19
Lucien
Bozhe Moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
6. The Mysterious and womanizing golduck that Misty thought was hers.
After seeing this episode Golduck became my favourite Pokemon of the first generation

Stand out episodes for me:

Challenging Lt Surge and being tempted to evolve Pikachu.

When Charizard is frozen by the Polywrath's icebeam then obeys Ash for the rematch.

Meowth's flashback episode of how he learned to talk.

When Gary returns to Pallet town having matured into a legitimately great trainer and battles Ash with his Eevee.

When Ash releases Butterfree

Pigeotto evolves into Pigeot to protect the Pigeys from the Fearow.

I could go on lol.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:49 PM   #20
Ramsay Snow
Winter's Saviour

Thanks, Blackmagicwolf!

I loved the main theme music that played during the stuff before Pokemon league and when Ash was recalling his first Pokemon League's matches. That part was cool

Old 07-26-2013, 02:32 PM   #21
Victarion
The Iron Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Hmmm...I'm not sure if I have a moment where I consider to be my most favorite one from the series since I have plenty of moments that I remembered enjoying.lol

Some of the moments or even episodes that I enjoyed from the original series were, and not in any particular order of course:

1. The Orange League Championship Match

2. Metwo's Anime Debut

3. The First Four Matches that Ash had at the Pokemon League

4. Charizard vs Magmar

5. The episode involving the Bug Samurai

6. The Mysterious and womanizing golduck that Misty thought was hers

7. The large Dragonite episode

8. The pokemon school where people could attend to get badges or even the one badge that people needed to get into the League.

etc.
All of these, plus the giant Tentacruel episode where it wrecked a resort town, and the Sabrina mini arc.

Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:25 PM   #22
MMMMM...Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wooden Alligator View Post
All of these, plus the giant Tentacruel episode where it wrecked a resort town, and the Sabrina mini arc.
Sabrina always pissed me off, wish Ash could've kept Haunter though.

***Wrestling Thread Crew***
Old 07-27-2013, 10:35 AM   #23
herolee10
Ultimate Hero

On another note, I really wish that they had given us some kind of resolution to these following arcs:

1. Ash's Connection with Ho-Oh

2. The G.S. Ball

Since it's apparent at this point that neither of those plot holes will be answered at all, it kind of sucks that we wasted episodes on them, especially since they were good ones.

I was really hoping for some epic encounter to ensue between Ash and Ho-Oh, a pokemon that has yet to make a real appearance in a film.

I also heard that the G.S. ball was originally meant to have a celebi inside of it as well.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:56 AM   #24
SilentWarriorZ
Side-Kick

The original series really the best of Pokemon could be

I still remember the Mysteriously Giant pokemon of Light house it was never back shown again though it resembled Dragonite in shape it still was as mysterious and unique as Mewtwo and Ho oh

SilentWarriorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:18 AM   #25
Lord
All Mighty

One thing i don't like is that they decided to make the movies non-canon, therefore making sure more than a half of the legendary pokemon never made an appearance in the show's canon

Quote: