The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Batman

View Poll Results: How many Bat-boys and girls do you think could be done well?
1-2 4 16.67%
2-3 4 16.67%
3-4 9 37.50%
4-5 3 12.50%
5-6 1 4.17%
6+ 3 12.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-28-2016, 08:19 PM   #1
godisawesome
Side-Kick

Default Largest feasible Batfamily in the DCEU, in your opinion.

Hey guys. My friend and I just had a brisk debate over what's the most likely size and composition of a Batfamily in the DCEU. He's convinced that a two person family is the uppermost you could do competently in a movie...

...Now, he also thinks that the dead Robin should be Carrie Kelley, which I think would defeat the purpose of having Carrie Kelley be a Robin in the first place.

So, the quick challenge here is to pick the size of the Family that a) you think is the most likely size to be successfully executed in the DCEU (basically a minimum to maximum), and then b) who you think would be in its makeup outside of Bruce.

-C.S. Lewis
godisawesome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:42 PM   #2
godisawesome
Side-Kick

Default Re: Largest feasible Batfamily in the DCEU, in your opinion.

I voted 3-4, because to me, that really is about the maximum number of people you could have established in one movie and still have Bruce be the main focus of it.

We've got a Robin and a character played by Jenna Malone while she was a red head, wh oh my friend reads as a dead Carrie Kelley, but I think makes more sense as a living Babs Gordon.

And to me, a dead Robin should be Jason Todd as a second wearer of the mask because if he's just a regualr sidekick gone bad with no foil, he's just Bucky 2.0 to the audience. I think having Dick Grayson as an older brother who's broken off his affiliation but stayed true to the code highlights Jason's fall from grace and Bruce's sorrow as a parent. It also provides Jason with an opponent who he can approach as an equal, instead of just as a mentor, gives Cyborg the chance to form a Titans team, and gives Babs a peer in the family.

-C.S. Lewis
Old 03-28-2016, 10:02 PM   #3
Matt
IKYN Guy Groupie

10 years ago, I would've said the most that can be pulled off is Robin and Batgirl. Marvel changed the game and made comic concepts far more workable in comic films. So I suppose the sky is the limit.

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:27 PM   #4
godisawesome
Side-Kick

I tried to express that to my buddy, but he's convinced it'll never happen, and like I said, for some reason he's convinced the best option is to go with Carrie Kelley as the dead Robin, only having her maybe appear in a prequel movie. I really don't like that idea, in part because I don't think Carrie Kelley is interesting outside of acting as an endearing foil to an extremely dark Batman (which we just had happen with Superman in BvS), and because to me there's so much more potential out of the more regualr Batkids.

For instance, Bruce's saying that "How many good guys are left? How many stayed that way?" Line implies to me we've got multiple casualties, which at minimum could just mean Two-Face and the Robin, but I think it builds a bit more on the tragedy if he's thinking of one sidekick who left, one who's the daughter of one of his friends and is now injured and out of commission because of the lifestyle, and one who died and may already be back on his feet.

Also, just a note about how they could make Jason Todd's problem with Bruce work even better in a world where Batman has no problem with manslaughter: emphasize the whole "death in combat" vs "death by execution and desecration of the bodies" for Jason Todd, and take that part of then UTRH part where Jason thinks that taking over crime is the way to control it, and use those to emphasize their differences. And maybe have Dick be the "good son" who's even less likely to kill an opponent than Bruce as a reason why he and Bruce stopped working together.

And then, if you want to have Jason take a turn back towards the good guys side, the main sign would be him giving up the crime boss part of his philosophy.

-C.S. Lewis
Old 03-29-2016, 12:50 PM   #5
Supa
Side-Kick

Feasibly? To be honest, I'd actually be surprised if we got an active Robin, much less a Robin and a Batgirl. It just seems like something DC doesn't want to do, especially since they want this Batman to be darker and grittier or whatever. That seriously hurts the chances of a Batfamily.

Shame, because I love the Batfamily. They add a lot of heart and humanity to Bruce's character that otherwise we would almost never get to see. I'd hate if the only Robin the DCeU actually gets would be a dead one from offscreen, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised at this point.

Supa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 03:13 PM   #6
wnjcwjkk
Side-Kick

Yeah I was thinking one of the biggest positives of this new Batman who already has an established history, would be that they could build on his world by including some of the Batfamily, without having to rush to include a Robin origin, Batgirl origin, Robin death, etc. as the plot point of each movie.

I would like to see Dick Grayson as Nightwing, maybe now fighting in Bludhaven after he and Batman had a falling out, because Batman pushed him away from crime fighting after Jason Todd's death. I love Batgirl, but I think I would prefer in the DCEU for The Oracle (with a past as Batgirl which we get to see through flashbacks), I think there's a lot that the Oracle character could add to the movies, as well as a past relationship with Grayson.

wnjcwjkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 04:24 PM   #7
Mandon Knight
Side-Kick

Given that Malone, we think is Barbara, then we think the Robin costume seen in BvS is Jason's, and I reckon Eastwood is playing Dick, I think we have a possible working total of 4.

Mandon Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:57 PM   #8
BobJM
Who's Bad?

I think we have 4.

Nightwing should already be established in Bludhaven and have history with Batman.

Joker has killed Jason & Jason returns as Red Hood.

Barbara Gordon could be used as Batgirl and/or Oracle.

Tim Drake is introduced as Batman's new Robin (thus closing the dark chapter in this Batman's career as he steps back towards the light)

BobJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 10:39 PM   #9
Chip Chipperson
Visionary Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJM View Post
I think we have 4.

Nightwing should already be established in Bludhaven and have history with Batman.

Tim Drake is introduced as Batman's new Robin (thus closing the dark chapter in this Batman's career as he steps back towards the light)
this would be perfect but I think the best case scenario is we get Babs, Dick and dead Jason

WB-"No"
Chip Chipperson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 11:08 PM   #10
Primal Slayer
Back to Black

I think doing a Batgirl/Oracle, Nightwing, Robin, Batwoman would totally be possible and give us some quality time.

Primal Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 11:48 PM   #11
Broseph44
Witness Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJM View Post
I think we have 4.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:07 AM   #12
NiallC
Side-Kick

I put 5-6 but I was also including supporting characters like Alfred. Batman, Tim Drake's Robin, Oracle and Alfred as the main team. Nightwing in Bludhaven and then I'd love if they actually did a Batwoman.

NiallC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:37 PM   #13
The Guard
Side-Kick

Alfred, Nightwing, Batgirl/Oracle and a new Robin (Tim or Damian, probably Tim), with hints at an old Robin (Jason).

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:04 PM   #14
DeGenerate10
Br Ba

1. Alfred
2. Dick Grayson/Nightwing
3. Barbara Gordon
4. A dead Jason Todd
5. Hopefully Tim Drake

Old 03-31-2016, 09:18 PM   #15
RustyCage
Come what may..

It really depends on how long these films will continue as a cohesive series so we can actually get to them. I think Ben Affleck is a great fit for all of the four major Robins' stories. Also think that Barb has a lot of potential as a partner to his Batman.

The realist in me says Nightwing is extremely likely, Red Hood and Batgirl are somewhat likely too, and the rest might feel too crammed in too quickly.

Would love to see a whole Talia and Damian arc with Ben as Batman though, and maybe a Tim Drake-lead Teen Titans film.

Old 03-31-2016, 09:25 PM   #16
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Went and dug up this post from a thread I started about a Batman and Robin trilogy:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
Forget about Joel Schumacher for a minute. Who would like to see a future trilogy based on Batman and his sidekicks? I had a few ideas about how they could do them serious justice on screen and was curious how others might go about it.

Sometime after the Justice League film, starting in lets say... 2018.

Batman and Robin: We see Batman take out some small time crooks. He's in his early 30s. Something happens to him that makes him realize working alone is dangerous. Alfred probably rubs it in. He is then invited to the Flying Graysons show where we all know what happens. A villain like Black Mask is involved. Bruce Wayne adopts young Dick Grayson (14-16). Batman teaches Robin how to fight crime, deal with his anger and eventually overcome his desire for vengeance. Robin's suit would ideally be something like Teen Titans or Young Justice.

Batman and Robin 2: Dick is now aged 18-22 and having differences of opinions with Bruce/Batman. He leaves and becomes Nightwing. Batman knows Nightwing is ready to fight crime solo but refuses to admit it. The Joker returns (for the first time on screen since 2008?) and wreaks havoc in Gotham. Batman takes on a new hot-headed apprentice in Jason Todd (also a teen). He doesn't feel that Jason is ready but needs his help. The movie ends with Jason's apparent death and Batman's doubt in taking on apprentices any longer. Jason's suit is Robin inspired, but more street (sort of like Arkham City?) with a green hoodie and red body armor.

Batman and Robin 3: Another year or two passes. Something like Under the Red Hood where Jason Todd returns angry and vengeful. But we also see Tim Drake as more of a Red Robin type character, obviously inspired by Batman's previous proteges, working independently but helping out despite Batman's orders. Red Hood is the main antagonist. He develops connections that somehow prove to be a challenge for Batman, Nightwing and Red Robin. Whether we see Ra's or Joker in this one is up to the writers. But it might make some sense to incorporate Ra's and Talia if they wanted to hint at Damian in a future installment.

If they just took it slow with these ones and focused on each robin individually in each film we might see some really cool stuff.

So all that being said, if they did it this way, I'd be happy to see:
Bruce (Batman)
Dick (Nightwing)
Jason (Red Hood)
Tim (Red Robin)
Damian (Robin)
Barbara (Oracle)

All in one film. And to be frank, I'd rather see this happen than Justice League. This would be a better world building endeavor imo.

Tradition is just dead people's baggage.

Last edited by pr0xyt0xin; 03-31-2016 at 09:29 PM.
pr0xyt0xin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:47 PM   #17
ManWithNoName18
Side-Kick

Don't know about anyone else, but I've never been a fan of Damian Wayne or his storyline about being Batman/Talia's son. Anyways if they go traditional route, i'm guessing Batfleck had Dick Grayson as Robin(I), and then he left to be Nightwing. Later he got Jason Todd as Robin(II), who got killed by the Joker. Since Jason's death Batman decided that he didn't want another Robin, and alienates himself from Dick. Cue Tim Drake in in the first Batman solo as Robin(III).

Also I'm thinking Barbra went through her whole Killing Joke ordeal already.

ManWithNoName18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:52 PM   #18
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManWithNoName18 View Post
Don't know about anyone else, but I've never been a fan of Damian Wayne or his storyline about being Batman/Talia's son. Anyways if they go traditional route, i'm guessing Batfleck had Dick Grayson as Robin(I), and then he left to be Nightwing. Later he got Jason Todd as Robin(II), who got killed by the Joker. Since Jason's death Batman decided that he didn't want another Robin, and alienates himself from Dick. Cue Tim Drake in in the first Batman solo as Robin(III).

Also I'm thinking Barbra went through her whole Killing Joke ordeal already.
Yeah, that seems most realistic. And I'd be okay with that. But we all know what really happens to Jason Todd.

Also Babs could very well go through her ordeal in one of the upcoming films. I think it'd be great to see in Suicide Squad. (Maybe JK Simmons will be in the reshoots). Or at the beginning of JL pt1.

idk, just speculating.

Old 03-31-2016, 11:56 PM   #19
godisawesome
Side-Kick

I prefer Tim Drake, and I think he has a better immediate story for Bruce's character to tackle in a movie, but Damian does come with impressive credentials.

Still, I feel like a Dick, Babs, and Jason team in the past is the best starting point regardless for an older Batman. Gives him some success and some losses.

-C.S. Lewis
Old 04-01-2016, 12:25 AM   #20
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Don't feel like a dick. You seem like a decent person.

Old 04-01-2016, 12:30 AM   #21
The Guard
Side-Kick

Damian Wayne's story might be too involved and come with too much baggage.

I think we're more likely to see the classic Batfamily, the loss of Jason, and the introduction of Tim Drake.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:52 PM   #22
godisawesome
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
Don't feel like a dick. You seem like a decent person.

Sonuvagun, that's actually a really good response.

As to the Damian Wayne vs Tim Drake discussion, the biggest immediate appeal to Damian is how quickly you can reveal who he is and why he's important to the story; that's probably the biggest appeal he had to the new DCAU films. Tim, to be done correctly, requires a softer, more patient touch than Damian, and requires a more serious use of Bruce's introspection and emphasis on his reluctance about training a Robin.

As much as I like Damian, if you really want to make the aftershocks of a dead Robin work, Tim's your guy.

-C.S. Lewis
Old 04-01-2016, 11:55 PM   #23
ManWithNoName18
Side-Kick

If they go the way of Batman starts to become less brutal, gets more non lethal post BVS. I think Tim's the kind of Robin you would pick.

ManWithNoName18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 12:59 AM   #24
Mr. Wayne
Grim Vigilante

I've always wanted to see Tim Drake on screen. He's my favorite Robin. I'm not sure if it's so much that I really find him the most interesting or that when he was introduced in BTAS I was more or less the same age and so maybe I identified with him more. I just loved his exuberance and moxie. Not that it will ever happen but I would love a Batman/Superman movie where part of it was like "Knight Time" when Supes stands in for Batman after he goes missing. Just imagine Cavill's face when they figure out what's happened to Bruce and Tim drops the "Bruce is being controlled by aliens? Ewww!" line. That would be awesome.

Mr. Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 01:15 AM   #25
brandeezy89
Side-Kick

If they do Damien, they'll probably make him 20 something

brandeezy89 is offline   Reply With Quote