The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

View Poll Results: So this movie should really be called...
Superman vs Batman (or Batman vs Superman) 9 5.49%
World's finest 64 39.02%
Superman/Batman: World's finest 39 23.78%
Man of steel: world's finest 21 12.80%
Man of tomorrow 7 4.27%
Superman: shadow of the bat 4 2.44%
Man of steel: gods among us 2 1.22%
other 18 10.98%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 06:03 AM   #126
regwec
Shakespearo

Default Re: Batman Vs Superman: can't we find a better title than that? Any suggestions?

It is no more a "gimmick" than The Avengers, or anything of that like.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:11 AM   #127
BlueLantern
Hope Burns Bright

Default Re: Batman Vs Superman: can't we find a better title than that? Any suggestions?

The Avengers wasn't a gimmick. It was a realization of a team and it combined reasonably organic paths culminating in an immensely entertaining film.

This movie feels horrendously forced and worse still surprisingly sudden given the mixed reaction to Man of Steel.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:23 AM   #128
regwec
Shakespearo

In what sense is it "forced"? Batman and Superman have been teaming up together long before The Avengers existed. If anything, it's extremely surprising that they have not crossed over before. I don't think it is any less "organic" than The Avengers. Marvel merely pumped out a lot of forgettable origin movies as a "set up" to the big cash cow. This is just a fusion of two cash cows. Of course the intentions are commercial, but that is common to all movies of this type.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:35 AM   #129
BlueLantern
Hope Burns Bright

I've rewatched all three origin movies that led in to the Avengers. They've not been forgettable. More to the point, they all served as strong paths towards a team up. Here, we have a guy who's just about accepted his mantle as a protector before he gets thrown another extraordinary situation in the form of another superhero.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:02 AM   #130
regwec
Shakespearo

You see, "served strong paths toward" still acknowledges that those movies were setting up something else. We won't agree about the quality of those movies, but we probably do agree that they were phases of a larger commercial venture. That is no less "forced" than SvB, it is just on a much larger scale.

Batman and Superman have been in and out of movies for decades. People know who they are. I am relieved that WB does not have to take Marvel's route of orchestrating the promotion of multiple properties before sewing them up into one cash cow. They can just get on with making the movie. It might be good or it might be awful, but it is no less valid than "The Avengers".

Old 07-28-2013, 09:39 AM   #131
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

I think fans who genuinely think that the general audience is only interested in seeing them team up, and not them fighting is in major denial. This is like the main event of the century and they will be right to have the title reflect that.

Justice League is where the teaming up can be the focus. We have to get their first, and these guys have a LOT of differences to sort out before that happens.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 07-28-2013, 09:48 AM   #132
Deserana
2005/2008/2012

How the hell has this film come outta the blue? Because there was no end credit scene that hinted toward Bruce Wayne? Cause there was no Batman film. There was enough ever so slight easter eggs as well as the kind of open ended story that lends itself perfectly to a shared universe. I'm not a fan of the way they just left the devastation in MoS but it is the perfect way to introduce Wayne and Luthor as two billionaires not only putting Metropolis on track but tracking down Superman.

Psychic though? That sounds like something out of science-fiction.

We live in a spaceship, dear.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:04 AM   #133
Project862006
Banned User

yeah i get kinda annoyed that fanboys act like it is rushed because there were no end credit scenes and cameos lol

wb has wanted to do a superman/batman film for years they actually had one in development back in 2004 set to be directed by wolfgang petersen and a jl film set to go in production back in 2006

Old 07-28-2013, 10:35 AM   #134
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Oh great, someone is pulling the "MOS sucked so this movie is an act of desperation card" again.

In a title thread.

ATTENTION: The rumor about WB's "no jokes" policy is 100% correct. No one should ever doubt any rumor about any upcoming movie, even in cases where it contradicts rumors that have previously been reported. In those cases, both rumors are true.

In other news, Bryan Cranston is playing Lex Luthor, Emily Blunt is Wonder Woman, Benedict Cumberbatch is Martian Manhunter, and that guy from Teen Wolf is Batman.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:49 PM   #135
blumatic
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
yeah i get kinda annoyed that fanboys act like it is rushed because there were no end credit scenes and cameos lol

wb has wanted to do a superman/batman film for years they actually had one in development back in 2004 set to be directed by wolfgang petersen and a jl film set to go in production back in 2006
Realest post in this forum.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:36 PM   #136
dnno1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
I like the idea, and I can see the logic. It doesn't sound quite right to me, somehow, though.

Still need to print something on your ticket, put words on resumes etc.
When you look at the logo what do you think it says? Your answer (Superman/Batman) should be what they will put on the ticket. This is no different to what was done for Batman 89'

Old 07-28-2013, 02:37 PM   #137
dnno1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
Oh great, someone is pulling the "MOS sucked so this movie is an act of desperation card" again.

In a title thread.
Actually the announcement stole the show at ComicCon. It was the biggest news that most major media outlets were talking about that weekend.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:41 PM   #138
Deserana
2005/2008/2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnno1 View Post
Actually the announcement stole the show at ComicCon. It was the biggest news that most major media outlets were talking about that weekend.
Yeah after a 2hour + panel from all of Marvel including a surprise appearance but one if its big 2014 films, it was a 5 minute reveal from Zack Snyder that won comic-con.

Psychic though? That sounds like something out of science-fiction.

We live in a spaceship, dear.

Old 07-28-2013, 03:51 PM   #139
BlueLantern
Hope Burns Bright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post

No one said anything about it being rushed because of a lack of end credit scenes or cameos. It feels rushed because a Batman trilogy was finished two years ago, whilst the film that's just been released has polarized fans and received a mixed to negative critical reception. It's rushed to capitalize on whatever goodwill exists.

With that considered, this announcement also doesn't just feel rushed but ill measured. Realistically I'd want Goyer and Snyder to continue the Superman story instead of throwing in another superhero and potentially messing up two major franchises. Oh and Wondercon 2011. Green Lantern. Just one example of con hype.

Is that difficult to understand? It shouldn't be. 'lol'.

Old 07-28-2013, 03:55 PM   #140
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Man of Steel: World's Finest

The World's Finest

World's Finest

Old 07-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #141
BlueLantern
Hope Burns Bright

World's Finest seems absolutely fine as a title. Maybe the sequel to it could have a subtitle of 'At Snapping Necks' in case Bruce kills the Joker or one of his rogues in this.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:32 PM   #142
serendipity
Side-Kick

If Man of Steel and The Dark Knight were such viable options for marketable titles, I see no reason why World's Finest doesn't fly.

Yes, I know those are popular monikers, but I feel they're more popular among us fans. The GA knows Superman by Superman, and Batman by Batman. If anything, most people are more familiar with The Caped Crusader than The Dark Knight.

"When one has weighed the sun in the balance, and measured the steps of the moon, and mapped out the seven heavens, there still remains oneself. Who can calculate the orbit of his own soul?" - Oscar Wilde
Old 07-28-2013, 05:00 PM   #143
KillerMcQueen
Mildly sociopathic

Quote:
Originally Posted by serendipity View Post
If Man of Steel and The Dark Knight were such viable options for marketable titles, I see no reason why World's Finest doesn't fly.

Yes, I know those are popular monikers, but I feel they're more popular among us fans. The GA knows Superman by Superman, and Batman by Batman. If anything, most people are more familiar with The Caped Crusader than The Dark Knight.
yeah, World's Finest would be fine, like Dark Knight, Avengers, and Man of Steel, all it takes is a trailer for the GA to figure out that World's Finest=Superman/Batman

Old 07-28-2013, 05:01 PM   #144
Tec15
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
People thought The Dark Knight and Man of Steel were silly names when WB first announced the films. Like they said, "How will people know it's a Batman or Superman film?" Duh, marketing tells you that.

I think World's Finest will be the title, provided Warners has sense. Or maybe Man of Steel: World's Finest. Going the Batman vs. Superman route, you're doing a disservice to the story. It's not just about these two going head-to-head.
This! All the colon cancer suggestions sound really, really stupid.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:03 PM   #145
ЯɘvlveR
danneB

Man of Steel: Age of Ultron

Man Of Steel: "whatever"
Justice League: NBA Jam

i think World's Finest sounds a bit pretentious especially if this will be a strickly gotham/metropolis thing.

Last edited by ЯɘvlveR; 07-28-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:08 PM   #146
regwec
Shakespearo

World's finest, in my opinion, was a clumsy title in the comics, too. It's pretty meaningless.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:17 PM   #147
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

I'm okay with Batman / Superman or with Batman vs. Superman. Not a big fan of "World's Finest" (that title doesn't have the same marketability anyways) or any "Man of Steel 2" variation (which seems to prioritize one character over the other).

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:41 PM   #148
Bathead
The Oldest Geek

I think it will be WF, mostly because that title has a 50 something year history involving the Batman/Superman team.

*splat*
Old 07-28-2013, 10:40 PM   #149
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

I really liked The Guard's suggestion of "Man of Tomorrow". It works as a sequel to Man of Steel, but the title would have application for Bruce and Lex too.

Realistically though, it will probably end up being Batman vs. Superman. It'd be kinda weird for Batman to get top billing though, considering this is still a sequel to Man of Steel.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 07-28-2013, 10:51 PM   #150
Silver Lantern
Side-Kick

how about titles like:

Man of Steel: Worlds Collide
Superman: Gotham Knight
Superman: Tale of the Bat
Dark Justice
The Superman
Knight VS Steel

If there are any more you can think of let me know or if any of these sound okay. Just a quick thought of a few. My pick for some reason would be:

Knight VS Steel

Last edited by Silver Lantern; 07-28-2013 at 10:53 PM. Reason: change
Closed Thread