The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

View Poll Results: So this movie should really be called...
Superman vs Batman (or Batman vs Superman) 9 5.49%
World's finest 64 39.02%
Superman/Batman: World's finest 39 23.78%
Man of steel: world's finest 21 12.80%
Man of tomorrow 7 4.27%
Superman: shadow of the bat 4 2.44%
Man of steel: gods among us 2 1.22%
other 18 10.98%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 11:08 PM   #151
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Default Re: Batman Vs Superman: can't we find a better title than that? Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Lantern View Post
how about titles like:

Man of Steel: Worlds Collide
Superman: Gotham Knight
Superman: Tale of the Bat
Dark Justice
The Superman
Knight VS Steel

If there are any more you can think of let me know or if any of these sound okay. Just a quick thought of a few. My pick for some reason would be:

Knight VS Steel
These all sound pretty terrible.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:19 PM   #152
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Default Re: Batman Vs Superman: can't we find a better title than that? Any suggestions?

Really pollsters, you people actually want World's Finest as a title?

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:48 AM   #153
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

World's Finest would be fine. I don't see the problem with it.

Though it originally didn't just allude to the Superman/Batman team, with time it has gotten to be the synonym with it. And I think it fits. They are arguably the two biggest and most classic superheroes there is.

Last edited by 747; 07-29-2013 at 07:59 AM.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:14 AM   #154
Kryptonian Warrior
We are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
Really pollsters, you people actually want World's Finest as a title?
I personally don't want World's Finest as the title. What would you prefer?

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...n.php?u=230251
Old 07-29-2013, 08:21 AM   #155
Kryptonian Warrior
We are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathead View Post
I think it will be WF, mostly because that title has a 50 something year history involving the Batman/Superman team.
Thing is, only people like us, for the most part, would know what World's Finest refers to, but the general audience wouldn't. I mean they very well could use that title, but I just don't see it happening. Seems like they would want to keep Man of Steel as part of the title. Who knows, but I'm sure that will be one of the first things that will come out about this movie.

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...n.php?u=230251

Last edited by Kryptonian Warrior; 07-29-2013 at 08:26 AM.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:24 AM   #156
Deserana
2005/2008/2012

Give me World's Finest any day over Superman vs Batman. I don't care if the film does what it says on the tin but that just sounds bad to me.

Psychic though? That sounds like something out of science-fiction.

We live in a spaceship, dear.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:25 AM   #157
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

"World's Finest" means little to nothing to non comic fans. It probably sounds like some old-school brag or something to them.

It has a very antiquated sound to it which makes sense given it's age, none of that is Snyder's style. Who's been all about envisioning his take on superman as if there were never any prior films.

If I were a betting man i'd honestly bet on Batman vs. Superman. It's what goyer's alluded to, it was the name for the original project before it got scrapped...it has batman and superman in the title, which is big.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:32 AM   #158
Deserana
2005/2008/2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
"World's Finest" means little to nothing to non comic fans. It probably sounds like some old-school brag or something to them
Could you not say the same about The Avengers and The Dark Knight?

Psychic though? That sounds like something out of science-fiction.

We live in a spaceship, dear.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:37 AM   #159
regwec
Shakespearo

Not really.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:42 AM   #160
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserana View Post
Could you not say the same about The Avengers and The Dark Knight?
Not really.

The Dark Knight has been a well known nickname for batman since the tv series at least.

As for the Avengers well that is the name of the team which marvel built up over 4 years and 5 movies prior to the actual avengers film for public awareness.

"World's finest" is also not really anything tangible, it doesn't refer to batman and superman's team officially, or anything like how the avengers is actually the name of that group of heroes team in the films universe.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:45 AM   #161
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Yeah. 'World's Finest' not being part of the mainstream vernacular is not a proper argument at all. The marketing featuring the logo of the Bat and 'S', plus onslaught of footage featuring Superman and Batman will do it's part.

'Man of Steel' and 'The Dark Knight' are essentially the same deal. People aren't stupid. They figure it out. And in the case of those titles 'World's Finest' fits in well.

As for what title I would like. It depends. Is it a World's Finest movie? If so, just keep it as that. If not, and it's a direct sequel to MOS (+Batman), than I would go with Man of Steel: World's Finest'.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:49 AM   #162
Project862006
Banned User

yeah not many people knew man of steel meant superman either

the logo and the footage would let people know

Old 07-29-2013, 08:51 AM   #163
regwec
Shakespearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville13 View Post
Yeah. 'World's Finest' not being part of the mainstream vernacular is not a proper argument at all.
Of course it is, unless your counter-argument is that the title doesn't matter at all, because it will just be subsumed by the marketing anyway?

Old 07-29-2013, 08:51 AM   #164
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

The difference between "World's Finest" and "the dark knight" or "man of steel" aside from notoriety is that it doesn't really evoke anything in a modern context.

The Dark Knight and Man of Steel are as much statements on the characters as they are their nick-names. Again "world's finest" sounds archaic and hackneyed. What does it say about them? that their the "finest"? Without the context of knowing it from the comics and it's history there the impact is lost.

WF makes sense to me as a comic fan but in the mind of a movie marketer I would go elsewhere.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:53 AM   #165
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Superman and Batman are the two most recognized superheroes in the world. Calling them the 'World's Finest' even makes sense outside of the comics universe. Again people will identify this.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:54 AM   #166
Project862006
Banned User

what would call this movie then

every other suggestion sounds either bad or extremely clunky

Old 07-29-2013, 08:58 AM   #167
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:
The difference between "World's Finest" and "the dark knight" or "man of steel" aside from notoriety is that it doesn't really evoke anything in a modern context.
What did 'The Avengers' title evoke in a modern context? What are they 'avenging'? Before that film, most people would not have been able to tell you that Iron Man and Hulk, etc. are in a team called that.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:58 AM   #168
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

IDK. I feel like WF is pretty comparable to the Avengers, TDK, and MOS titles.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:01 AM   #169
Project862006
Banned User

i personally would call it

Man Of Steel :World's Finest

keep the iconic name but also keep Superman in the name

Old 07-29-2013, 09:04 AM   #170
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Quote:
What did 'The Avengers' title evoke in a modern context? What are they 'avenging'? Before that film, most people would not have been able to tell you that Iron Man and Hulk, etc. are in a team called that.
I already explained just that in one of my above posts...

Either way "the avengers" is the actual name of that team of superheros. That's what they are called in their universe just as Iron Man is called Iron Man.

Batman and Superman aren't officially in a team called "the world's finest" they're not really even in any team together officially aside from JL. They just happen to work together from time to time.

Not to mention Marvel had 4 years and 5 films to get the public used to "the avengers" and "the avengers initiative" before the actual avengers movie came out.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:05 AM   #171
regwec
Shakespearo

I hate colons in movie titles. Having said that, I hate "vs" even more.

"Men of Tomorrow" is perhaps...alright. Or "Truth, Justice". You need something that denotes plurality while sounding iconic and succinct,

Old 07-29-2013, 09:11 AM   #172
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:
I already explained just that in one of my above posts...

Either way "the avengers" is the actual name of that team of superheros. That's what they are called in their universe just as Iron Man is called Iron Man.

Batman and Superman aren't officially in a team called "the world's finest" they're not really even in any team together officially aside from JL. They just happen to work together from time to time.

Not to mention Marvel had 4 years and 5 films to get the public used to "the avengers" and "the avengers initiative" before the actual avengers movie came out.
And 'World's Finest' is the name of Superman/Batman when they are together. They didn't choose that title, just like Clark didn't name himself Superman. It's just their most accepted title. There's nothing wrong with using it for a mainstream film. The fear of it not 'evoking anything' from people 'not in the know' is weak imo.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:11 AM   #173
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

I tend to agree that people would figure it out after a relentless marketing blitz and the Bat/Supes logo plastered everywhere no matter what the movie is called.

I think they should just call it whatever best reflects what the movie is. If that's Batman vs. Superman so be it, but it does sound a bit generic and uninspired to me. That could be the name of any given Batman vs. Superman movie (for instance it shares a name with Wolfgang Peterson's abandoned project). What's this one about? It's not just any old teamup film, it's serving as a sequel to a newly established Superman universe.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 07-29-2013, 09:22 AM   #174
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Quote:
And 'World's Finest' is the name of Superman/Batman when they are together. They didn't choose that title, just like Clark didn't name himself Superman. It's just their most accepted title. There's nothing wrong with using it for a mainstream film. The fear of it not 'evoking anything' from people 'not in the know' is weak imo.
That's not correct. I'm not the biggest expert on comics but to my understanding "World's finest" was just the name of the comic line not any actual team name for the batman/superman "team".

Batman and superman wouldn't themselves talk about being in the "world's finest team" unlike thor or Iron Man referring to themselves as being in the avengers.

Jl as a movie title would work because that is an actual team. WF is just the name of a comic line. WF hasn't even been used to refer to the batman/superman team-up comics in years either.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:24 AM   #175
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

I personally don't have a major problem with "World's Finest" if it were used but why would the marketers make their jobs harder by having to explain the connection to the general public?

If I didn't know anything about comics, as a title I don't think "world's finest" would sound particularly cool or captivating.

Closed Thread