The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men Sequels & Spin-Offs

View Poll Results: Will the X-Men film series benefit with keeping characters related like the comics?
Yes. It adds to the world building and development of characters/stories through the films 4 36.36%
No. Film is different. The filmmaker should not have to include it in the grand scheme of things 1 9.09%
Matters with some. Not all 6 54.55%
Don't Care 0 0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-29-2013, 01:40 AM   #1
def28
Side-Kick

Default The Importance Of X-Men's Family Ties in film

Sorry if a similar thread exists. Seen the subject being brought up alot lately.

So far it's been pretty much ignored so how important do you think keeping the connection of related X-Men should be in the films? Does this take away potential for the characters and stories? Or are the films better off ignoring the relations because they are not significant enough?

Some examples from comics:

Cyclops and Havok
Cable and Cyclops
Rachel Summers and Alt Jean/Scott
Magneto, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver and Polaris
Colussus and Magik
Black Tom, Siryn and Banshee
Prof X and Juggernaut
Nightcrawler, Mystique and Azazel
Mystique and Rogue(adopted Daughter)
Husk and Cannonball
Warpath and Thunderbird

Last edited by def28; 08-29-2013 at 02:11 AM.
def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:09 AM   #2
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

Default Re: The Importance Of X-Men's Family Ties in film

In my opinion, the films could live without these family connections. Good, if they are acknowledged, if not, its okay as long as they give the characters good materials to work with.

Hugh Jackman - Halle Berry - Ian McKellen - Patrick Stewart
Anna Paquin - Shawn Ashmore - Daniel Cudmore - Ellen Page
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:31 AM   #3
Nell2ThaIzzay

I voted that it matters for some, not for all. There's some familial relationships that I'm glad weren't included (Mystique and Rogue, Nightcrawler, Nightcrawler and Azazel, Juggernaut and Xavier), some that don't bother me one way or another (Magneto and Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch - although this one seems to be addressed at least with Quicksilver), and others that I'm glad were / hope will be (Some sort of connection between Havok and Cyclops, Cyclops and Jean Grey)

Some of the relationships we can also piece together for ourselves. The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence. Nightcrawler very well could still be the abandoned son of Mystique and Azazel. Afterall, Mystique and Azazel go off together with Magneto's Brotherhood in 1963, and we don't see their relationship after that. Azazel and Nightcrawler have the same teleportation powers and effects. We could reasonably assume that they had an affair and abandoned Nightcrawler after birth.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Nell2ThaIzzay; 08-29-2013 at 02:35 AM.
Nell2ThaIzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:29 AM   #4
NanaT
X-Men United!

There's a really cool deleted scene from X2 where Mystique is searching through Stryker's files and finds information and images of Nightcrawler. Her reaction is just great and definitely hints at there being some sort of relationship between the two. Not sure why they deleted, it was a great nod to their familial ties.

- PROFESSOR CHARLES XAVIER
NanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:31 AM   #5
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

I would like to see SOME relationships acknowledged. So far we haven't had any. It looks like we might get a Magneto/Quicksilver link in DoFP.

There aren't specific relationships I want to see included. But I think if they are doing it for Quicksilver, they should include Wanda and her link too.

Xavier/Juggernaut is going to be tricky now we saw how young Charles grew up with Mystique, so I think we can forget that one for a start.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier 7/10, Noah 3/10
X-Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:36 AM   #6
Angamb
Banned User

Similar case with me.

I think some should be adressed, but not all, of course. Mainly because these movies are released with a 3 years gap, so its kind of impossible to include all on a short number of movies.

But to me the most important ones that should be adressed sooner rather than later are:

- Magneto with Pietro and Wanda. (Its the right moment to do it, with Pietro now involved, so they still have time to explore this complex relationships in two movies)

- Cyclops and Havok (Cyclops deserve some backstory and family connection)

- Mystique with Nightcrawler and Azazel. There is no rush to adress this one, but its a great connection and they could develop it slowly. With Azazel and Mystique being in FC, they have easily payed the way. So next movie could include this one, in a smart/emotional way.

Basically, these are the ones I feel would bring something really special and interesting, while being so iconic in the comics. So would be a win-win for me.

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:59 AM   #7
Zarex
Side-Kick

I think this is one aspect of the X-Men films in which Donner and company really dropped the ball. Back when they were setting up the X-Men Universe, they had an associate producer under their employ who has subsequently proven to be fairly adept at cinematic world building. They could have locked Kevin Feige in his office for a month or so after X-Men was greenlit and told him to sketch out a draft of potential relationships, family and otherwise, to be exploited in future installments. Unfortunately they didn't, and there haven't been many interesting relationships developed over the course of 6 X Universe films. What's next after Charles/Erik? I'd probably have to go with Logan/Stryker, with Charles/Raven, Charles/Cain, Alex/Scott, Raven/Kurt and Azazel/Raven representing lost opportunities to enrich the series.

Zarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:04 AM   #8
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
I think this is one aspect of the X-Men films in which Donner and company really dropped the ball. Back when they were setting up the X-Men Universe, they had an associate producer under their employ who has subsequently proven to be fairly adept at cinematic world building. They could have locked Kevin Feige in his office for a month or so after X-Men was greenlit and told him to sketch out a draft of potential relationships, family and otherwise, to be exploited in future installments. Unfortunately they didn't, and there haven't been many interesting relationships developed over the course of 6 X Universe films. What's next after Charles/Erik? I'd probably have to go with Logan/Stryker, with Charles/Raven, Charles/Cain, Alex/Scott, Raven/Kurt and Azazel/Raven representing lost opportunities to enrich the series.
They should have been sketching out a draft of the film's stories, let alone the potential relationships. Then we wouldn't have had the screw-ups that have happened thus far.

And I say that as an unwavering fan of this franchise. So God knows what the detractors think. lol

Old 08-29-2013, 09:09 AM   #9
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
Similar case with me.

I think some should be adressed, but not all, of course. Mainly because these movies are released with a 3 years gap, so its kind of impossible to include all on a short number of movies.

But to me the most important ones that should be adressed sooner rather than later are:

- Magneto with Pietro and Wanda. (Its the right moment to do it, with Pietro now involved, so they still have time to explore this complex relationships in two movies)

- Mystique with Nightcrawler and Azazel. There is no rush to adress this one, but its a great connection and they could develop it slowly. With Azazel and Mystique being in FC, they have easily payed the way. So next movie could include this one, in a smart/emotional way.

Basically, these are the ones I feel would bring something really special and interesting, while being so iconic in the comics. So would be a win-win for me.
The Mystique/Nightcrawler/Azazel might now be a bit complicated. They got rid of Azazel, they only included Nightcrawler in one film, and Mystique seems to have bigger issues going on with her journey towards becoming a cold-hearted badass.

The Havok/Cyclops link needs addressing because they included Havok in First Class.

And, as I said elsewhere, I would like to see Wanda referenced or included.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:52 AM   #10
Angamb
Banned User

the Mystique one is pretty easy. The audience already saw FC, next movie could have a few lines from Mystique adressing her past, with one flashback involving Azazel or Kurt being born, and thats it.

And if Fox does another sequel with OT, they can get Kurt back easily, and finally met her mother. Or not. Its not needed to tell the audience she is his mother, since it could be told in a FC sequel.

Many of these relationships can be adressed not only in one movie, but in two. One set in the past, and another in the present.

Some lines here and there, to connect movies, and thats it.

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:08 PM   #11
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

There are some family connections that I think should be established (Scott and Alex, Mystique and Nightcrawler, and Magneto and his children), but the others, not so much.

Old 08-29-2013, 03:52 PM   #12
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

I really hope they stay away from Rachel Summers and Cable being kids of Cyclops and Alternate Jean Grey/Madeline Pryor. That whole thing is just entirely way too over the top and unnecessary.

Of the things on that list the ones that I think they HAVE to address at some point are Scott/Alex, Mystique/Nighcrawler and Magneto/Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch.

A lot of the others haven't really presented themselves in the movie continuity other than Professor X and Juggernaut.

SuperT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:36 PM   #13
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

I voted for matters with some.

Hugh Jackman - Halle Berry - Ian McKellen - Patrick Stewart
Anna Paquin - Shawn Ashmore - Daniel Cudmore - Ellen Page
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:44 PM   #14
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
Similar case with me.

Agreed

Though Havok and Cyclops are brothers in the comics i don't see it in the movies as a must have. they can be sperate.

With that said, making Alex be the older brother of Scott with them both being Orphans works just fine and could lead into a Starjammers movie if they wanted to go that route.

The seeds are planted easily for Banshee being Siryns Dad, if they wanted to go down that road.

Professor Xavier: I feel a great swell of pity for the poor fool who comes to that school... looking for trouble.
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:52 PM   #15
Nell2ThaIzzay

Siryn was a cameo in X2, I hardly doubt they even acknowledge her in the movies beyond that.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Nell2ThaIzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:54 PM   #16
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaT View Post
There's a really cool deleted scene from X2 where Mystique is searching through Stryker's files and finds information and images of Nightcrawler. Her reaction is just great and definitely hints at there being some sort of relationship between the two. Not sure why they deleted, it was a great nod to their familial ties.
I feel like their interaction was good enough. "Because we shouldn't have to" It showed she cared about his plight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
The numbered jaymes is right!! :yay:
*\S/T*
jaymes_e06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:11 PM   #17
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

They don't even acknowledge the Nightcrawler/Mystique relation in the comics. I'm gald they ignored the Mystique and Rogue connection.

I would of like if they have Cyclops and Havok as brothers and Siryn being Banshee's daughter.

Old 08-31-2013, 02:12 PM   #18
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Mystique is one of my favourite X-Movie characters. she's a villainess but one who's fighting for people undeniable rights. If they Won she'd be looked back as a pioneer fighting to civil rights.

Professor Xavier: I feel a great swell of pity for the poor fool who comes to that school... looking for trouble.
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote