The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 02:51 AM   #651
smallville fan
Hero

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
What was y'alls take on the 75th Anniversary toon? I just saw it yesterday (I know I am late to the party) but it was pretty damned sweet to my eyes. I teared up quite a bit. Loved the use of both themes. The number of people checking it out again lets me know that Superman is in the hearts and minds of a lot of people out there.
Loved it.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:56 AM   #652
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post

I was actually surprised to see these shots since I could have sworn that like 99% of the shots that we saw of superman fighting Zod mid flight were comprised entirely of CGI figures, plus it with the way it was shot, it's difficult to tell at times when they're using CGI models and when they're using the real actors due to how fast pace the fight was, which I guess was the idea since they want to cover it up.
If we didn't know that these shots were real, by just looking at them, most would think -

Oh, Look.. It's blurry shot again..I can tell that Zod is crappy CGI here !

*\S/T*
Old 10-22-2013, 06:18 AM   #653
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Somehow I feel that's what the director intended

Old 10-22-2013, 11:09 AM   #654
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville fan View Post
Loved it.
My only complaint is that it was too short.
I wanted more .

Old 10-23-2013, 02:38 PM   #655
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboiii View Post
The Avengers is only a fun action movie. It doesn't take itself serious enough to be sci-fi.
Why would you have to be serious to be a Sci-Fi?

Old 10-23-2013, 03:56 PM   #656
fanboiii
disciple of truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaooz View Post
Why would you have to be serious to be a Sci-Fi?
Technically all superhero hero movies fall into the sci-fi genre. But, there's a difference between the label and being a science fiction movie.

Do you really think 2001 Space Odyssey and Avengers are on the same level in terms of being a science fiction movie?

Last edited by fanboiii; 10-23-2013 at 04:07 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #657
Gamma Goliath
Engine of Destruction

They're just different types of science fiction dude. There is no definive science fiction that all sci-fi's must abide by to be considered a science fiction.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:06 PM   #658
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Aaaannnnnd... Cue the Harlan Ellison quotes.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:19 PM   #659
Doc Ock
1951-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
My only complaint is that it was too short.
I wanted more .
Yeah I wish the short was more like 10 minutes to cover more history. But I loved it as well.

Old 10-24-2013, 04:02 PM   #660
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Quote:
Technically all superhero hero movies fall into the sci-fi genre. But, there's a difference between the label and being a science fiction movie.

Do you really think 2001 Space Odyssey and Avengers are on the same level in terms of being a science fiction movie?
Huh? They're both Sci-Fi to me. Avengers was clearly a Sci Fi. Tesseract and all...

Old 10-24-2013, 04:23 PM   #661
Tra-El
Side-Kick

Hey guys, getting the Halloween costume for my works party ready to roll. Got the beard for it, so I'm thinkin' about goin as "Hobo Clark Kent" from MOS.

Yay o r nay?

Old 10-24-2013, 04:29 PM   #662
Xak-Ell
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tra-El View Post
Hey guys, getting the Halloween costume for my works party ready to roll. Got the beard for it, so I'm thinkin' about goin as "Hobo Clark Kent" from MOS.

Yay o r nay?

nay. imo, you'd look better as clark kent from the end of the movie. you have that face. i dunno. i can just see you as that more than hobo clark

Old 10-24-2013, 04:32 PM   #663
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post

I was actually surprised to see these shots since I could have sworn that like 99% of the shots that we saw of superman fighting Zod mid flight were comprised entirely of CGI figures, plus it with the way it was shot, it's difficult to tell at times when they're using CGI models and when they're using the real actors due to how fast pace the fight was, which I guess was the idea since they want to cover it up.
I was thinking the other day that the reason I prefer the Smallville fight and think it looks better is because it was actually shot in a real place and not a green screen studio set.

Love that pic tho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tra-El View Post

Yay o r nay?
Yay!

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 10-24-2013, 08:18 PM   #664
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Yo Super-fans ! Just to change up the topic, since we've argued this one to
death......

Check this out! Okay, most you probably have already, but
this was like a 2 minute trip through my childhood with
Superman, from George Reeves, to the Superfriends, to Doomsday and beyond.

Come on, you've got to love, even just a little !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebXB0lBoaQ0

it's awesome ! It spoke to my inner 9-year-old, even more than Pacific Rim, my
second favourite film of 2013.
(and that's saying a lot, come on, giant Robots punching giant monsters....pure awesome. If they could put that in a can with some food colouring it'd be the best
soft drink in the universe......check out the honest trailer !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fupWquPNoTc

Old 10-24-2013, 10:32 PM   #665
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

I loved that the short actually was more about his history in comics but also had his wider pop culture impact addressed. It was beautiful to hear both themes used, and it gave me hope that The Man Of Steel will be known far into the future in forms that I suppose I would not immediately recognize as him if I were to see it. But he'd still be there, as long as we all want to have someone inspire us to be not just stronger, but better, more responsible people in the wider world. It also makes me wonder why WB is so gun shy about giving us another Superman cartoon? My druthers would a show called DC COMICS PRESENTS: SUPERMAN! Have it be a slightly more mature version of the BRAVE AND THE BOLD cartoon, only with Superman as the star. Have guest stars and really explore the DCU. Something that looked more like Superman:Unbound or YJ though please. Even a limited series, maybe 9 eps tops that looked like the Black Adam short. I know it's a pipe dream. sigh

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:34 PM   #666
sf2
Side-Kick

awesome dumb robot movie! lol

Old 10-24-2013, 10:58 PM   #667
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

Quote:

Of course they're not on the same level, but you're judging quality now, not the genre. Science Fiction is a genre, and that has to do with the content of the story, not the quality. If it has science fiction elements, it's sci-fi no matter what the quality of the movie is.

So is Avengers as good of a sci-fi movie as 2001? No, but they're both still sci-fi. As I said earlier, the fact that it's a comedic movie doesn't mean that Back to the Future isn't a science fiction film. It still is, despite it's tone.

my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:

http://vimeo.com/41530049
Old 10-25-2013, 12:13 AM   #668
fanboiii
disciple of truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity9999x View Post
Of course they're not on the same level, but you're judging quality now, not the genre. Science Fiction is a genre, and that has to do with the content of the story, not the quality. If it has science fiction elements, it's sci-fi no matter what the quality of the movie is.

So is Avengers as good of a sci-fi movie as 2001? No, but they're both still sci-fi. As I said earlier, the fact that it's a comedic movie doesn't mean that Back to the Future isn't a science fiction film. It still is, despite it's tone.
I didn't say "as good" so I'm not judging quality at all. Science-fiction is a broad umbrella genre. There's a reason why people delineate superhero movies as its own genre instead of calling all of them sci-fi movies. Avengers is no where near being a full-fledged sci-fi movie which is what I'm talking about. It's mostly an action movie. It only uses sci-fi to introduce plot elements rather than being a topic in the movie.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:53 AM   #669
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Yeah, Superheroes can fall under 'fantasy' or under 'sci-fi' IMO.

But then that's why those too genres are so often lumped together.

I'd agree that MOS was definitely the most sci-fi of all Superhero films.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 10-25-2013, 03:26 AM   #670
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post

Wow. Like many others, this nearly made me cry. It was a 2 minute journey through my childhood, right from George Reeves to Henry
Cavill.

If I had a criticism, and it's a minor one, is that it didn't show any of the
John Byrne Superman work from the late 1980's - I'm a huge Byrne
fan, and I loved the stories and artwork from that period.

But there was just so much to fit in, I can see why it was left out.
Although I suppose they also left out Superman returns, which was
a brilliant move, as that's Superman I'd like to forget ( I would
take the Super-friends Superman over Superman Returns)

Otherwise, it was a wonderfully sweet piece of nostalgia, and I loved it !

Old 10-25-2013, 03:27 AM   #671
Spade
Cool and Chiseled

Science fiction and sci-fi used to be distinct things. A lot of old novelists and filmmakers felt sci-fi was what you called B roll monster movies filmed on a shoestring budget, whereas science fiction aspired to say more about us and the universe we inhabit. Nowadays, there's barely a difference, no more than calling a film a film or a movie. And that's even more archaic, since everything's gone digital.

Superhero stories are a lot like Westerns and noir; once you learn the fundamentals, you realize you've experienced a ton of stories that fit the description. For example, noirs survive through neo-noirs like the Coens' Blood Simple and in tech-noirs like Blade Runner and The Terminator. Superhero movies are fundamentally about characters who can do the extraordinary, usually for the greater good. With that in mind, there's no reason why, say, The Avengers can't be considered a sci-fi/action superhero movie. It only seems contradictory if you believe only one root genre can be acknowledged over the rest (which unfortunately describes most Hollywood executives).

Old 10-27-2013, 08:17 AM   #672
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Given that some people have access to a copy of MOS, I don't suppose I could trouble any of the talented Editors out there to recreate the Comic Con trailer for MOS? I don't know why, but that trailer (the way that it was edited) still does wonders and while it didn't lead to the film that some were expecting, it's still somewhat of a great piece imho

Old 10-27-2013, 01:44 PM   #673
roach
I am the night

Ohio State University does the MOS soundtrack

http://www.dorkly.com/embed/56034/th...goes-hollywood

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in today’s protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You don’t like a story? That’s fine – don’t read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 10-27-2013, 06:09 PM   #674
Team Andino
The Paragon of Virtue

Rewatched MOS again for the first time since opening night, I want to love this movie so much but I just can't get behind it. Unfortunately I felt the same about it as I did the first night.

Old 10-27-2013, 06:22 PM   #675
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
Ohio State University does the MOS soundtrack

http://www.dorkly.com/embed/56034/th...goes-hollywood
At least it's at the beginning - it was a blockbuster score medley, with a lot of John Williams.

The pirate ships were gold.