The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 04:30 PM   #776
GremlinZilla89
Banned User

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binker View Post
Here's my two cents, even though none of you asked.

A film's performance is either well received or not, depending on all sides of reception. A movie can be hated critically and make money (best example happens to be The Empire Strikes Back), while it can also be critically praised and make nothing at the box office (Dredd is one example). But there's more to it: age groups (Bay did say Transformers are for 14 year olds), gender groups (young women: why Twilight is popular), and even if there is a fanbase that supports or not that particular film, of a franchise or not.

For me, Man of Steel was well received. It was critically mixed, finically successful, general audiences liked it, in fact it made more money than the other reboots (Amazing Spider-Man, Batman Begins, and Incredible Hulk) and Man of Steel made Superman popular, even compared to those reboots (going from various official and unofficial votes). All is left is Blu-ray and DVD sales.

So yeah.

P.S. Also remember: from the intake from Man of Steel's sponsors, and it's first week at the box office, by then the film had already made more or was equal to the overall worldwide box office to Superman Returns.
Bingo. People say it totally bombed with critics. I say got a middling response from critics. A bomb, in my opinion, would be a lot lower than 56%. I always thought that for a film to be rotten it has to hit 49%. It makes the most sense mathematically.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:16 PM   #777
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Pa

Since I stayed spoiler free for this movie, I didn't read up on articles or what not. What is the general consensus of this movie? Did it do well in the box office?

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:44 PM   #778
kendalag
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
Since I stayed spoiler free for this movie, I didn't read up on articles or what not. What is the general consensus of this movie? Did it do well in the box office?
Critics ... mixed reaction ... some really loved it, some thought it was so/so, some hated it. Kind of weird.

Audience ... favorable, but not at the level of Avengers or TDK trilogy. A- cinemascore, 7.5/10 on IMDB, Flixster score of 75% (3.9/5)

Box office
US - 291 million (662 million WW) - the 291 is #3 on the year so far behind Iron Man 3 (410) and Despicable Me 2 (365).

Old 11-12-2013, 05:55 PM   #779
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendalag View Post
Critics ... mixed reaction ... some really loved it, some thought it was so/so, some hated it. Kind of weird.

Audience ... favorable, but not at the level of Avengers or TDK trilogy. A- cinemascore, 7.5/10 on IMDB, Flixster score of 75% (3.9/5)

Box office
US - 291 million (662 million WW) - the 291 is #3 on the year so far behind Iron Man 3 (410) and Despicable Me 2 (365).
Thank you! What was the general comic fan reaction? I'm reading one thread now and I see some thought he shouldn't have killed Zod (that doesn't surprise me), but I haven't made it through the whole thread yet.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:24 PM   #780
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

I think the general comic fan reaction ( and the fan reaction in general ) was pretty positive.

obviously not everyone loved it, but I think it was more positive than negative. otherwise, it wouldn't have made $291M at the BO.

Disney Lover and Proud!!
Old 11-12-2013, 06:24 PM   #781
Binker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Thank you! What was the general comic fan reaction? I'm reading one thread now and I see some thought he shouldn't have killed Zod (that doesn't surprise me), but I haven't made it through the whole thread yet.
Most fans liked/loved it, while others....don't get me started

Last edited by Binker; 11-12-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:31 PM   #782
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Knight View Post
I think the general comic fan reaction ( and the fan reaction in general ) was pretty positive.

obviously not everyone loved it, but I think it was more positive than negative. otherwise, it wouldn't have made $291M at the BO.
Hmmmm...that's good to know. I can imagine not everyone loved it. As I watch it again, I can see some areas that some people I know would take issues with. I had NO idea that he would kill Zod. That's how spoiler free I was and I was SHOCKED at that scene. I'm still processing it, but I'm okay with it...I think....lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binker View Post
Most fans liked/loved it, while others...., well, go here:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...rm=fan%20*****
lol...yeah you got a point.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:44 PM   #783
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

I can understand some of the complaints, and there were things that I wish could have been done differently.

But, especially with the critics, I think some of the negativity had to do with "nostalgia bias" for the old Superman films.

The expected a "lighter" film in terms of tone and they got a way more serious film.

Disney Lover and Proud!!
Old 11-12-2013, 06:51 PM   #784
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Yeah, that is probably the one that does resonant with me too. I was hoping for more fun moments, but then I realized it's not meant to be a fun movie. I thought it was very realistic in that the origin is to introduce an alien who has been hiding among us. I think it set a good tone for any future tales. I am also really like Adams as Lois. She gets a grade of an "A". I think they got her perfect.

Nostalgia bias...I can see that though. I kept looking at that suit thinking it's not right...lol.

One thing I did really enjoy was they went balls to the wall with the destruction. I felt like I was watching a live action episode of STAS at sometimes.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:30 PM   #785
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

I got my Blu Ray today at Best Buy. I haven't seen the movie since my 6 showings in theatres. I thought it was possible that the very strong criticism I'd been reading here would affect how I felt about the film. I mean the negative opinions here have ranged from mild (renaming it POS) to actually calling it as depressing as a film about the Holocaust. Was I just blinded by my love of Superman? Was I maybe too forgiving or just to easily entertained?

Nope. I still love it. I still think it's the grandest, most epic Super Hero movie ever. I am still awed and still cry AND laugh and above all feel I got the Superman film I did not even fathom I could want, or love. I can't deny there is some nostalgia affecting me because I felt I was sdeing a live action take on the Byrne/Carlin era Superman I read as a young boy through my late teen years. Is that so wrong?

I'm so happy to have this in my Blu Ray collection. Right now I have the extras disc in and am watching the film with all the cast and crew (sans Costner for some reason) pop up to give production details and stories. Given that the a big reason behind making the film was legal I am amazed at the level of detail and artistry that went into this movie. Of course, my opinion is it all comes out in the finished product. Snyder and Co. just gave me a personal gift, or at least thats's what it feels like. I can't wait for 2015, especially if Snyder can get a lot of the same crew back that gave this thing such visual depth and texture. Now if you'll excuse me Traue is talking about Faora's crying scene. I have to imagine comforting her. "There, there baby... "

Old 11-12-2013, 07:36 PM   #786
smallville fan
Hero

Here's something funny for all of you guys.

Just so you know Kevin Conroy says that infamous Frank Miller quote like a boss here.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 11-12-2013, 08:17 PM   #787
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville fan View Post
Here's something funny for all of you guys.

Just so you know Kevin Conroy says that infamous Frank Miller quote like a boss here.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
OMG...thank you....just thank you for posting that!!!!!! I will always and forever love Daly Sr, but Jr is growing on me. Conroy is crazy funny.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:23 PM   #788
Kal-El.9859
Life Found A Way

my computer isn't showing the above video....crap

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Old 11-12-2013, 08:30 PM   #789
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

Quote:
Yeah, that is probably the one that does resonant with me too. I was hoping for more fun moments, but then I realized it's not meant to be a fun movie. I thought it was very realistic in that the origin is to introduce an alien who has been hiding among us. I think it set a good tone for any future tales. I am also really like Adams as Lois. She gets a grade of an "A". I think they got her perfect.

Nostalgia bias...I can see that though. I kept looking at that suit thinking it's not right...lol.

One thing I did really enjoy was they went balls to the wall with the destruction. I felt like I was watching a live action episode of STAS at sometimes.
yeah. agree about the action.

and I think another thing that "threw" some people off is the Clark/Lois dynamic in this film is not the traditional Daily Planet dynamic we're used to in prior incarnations.

that needs to be addressed in the Batman vs Superman and future films.

Disney Lover and Proud!!
Old 11-12-2013, 08:44 PM   #790
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Knight View Post
yeah. agree about the action.

and I think another thing that "threw" some people off is the Clark/Lois dynamic in this film is not the traditional Daily Planet dynamic we're used to in prior incarnations.

that needs to be addressed in the Batman vs Superman and future films.
Hmmm...I wonder if they will even keep that dynamic since she knows who he is.

Seriously, I am a die-hard Lois fan. I do care how she is portrayed, so it's curious to me that I don't have any issues with this dynamic being gone. I just felt like they did a good job of showing that she is an intrepid reporter. Plus, she had some good chemistry with Cavill. I can see him falling in love with her, which I am hoping is amped up a bit because I do want that romantic element.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:25 PM   #791
Kal-El.9859
Life Found A Way

I don't want to see her be a jerk to Clark like she was in the past, but I want her to treat him like she has no clue and like she might have a small school girl crush on Clark. Treat him with competitiveness on the job....

Old 11-12-2013, 10:43 PM   #792
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

It will be interesting to see how this dynamic plays out in the next movie. There were some seeds laid for a really good Lois/Supes/Clark and I feel like it's going to be something we haven't seen before. Not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing, but I'm not totally resistant.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:01 PM   #793
Kal-El.9859
Life Found A Way

I just wanna see a good relationship

Old 11-12-2013, 11:55 PM   #794
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
I just wanna see a good relationship
ME TOO. That is probably one of my greatest hopes for a sequel. For me LL has always represented Superman's/Kal-El's tie with humanity and for Clark she's the type of girl he would like. That's what I want to see. Yeah it is mushy...but I still want to see it.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:27 AM   #795
Kal-El.9859
Life Found A Way

I understand

Old 11-13-2013, 04:00 AM   #796
Kryptonian Titan
Banned User

Thumbs up Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
I got my Blu Ray today at Best Buy. I haven't seen the movie since my 6 showings in theatres. I thought it was possible that the very strong criticism I'd been reading here would affect how I felt about the film. I mean the negative opinions here have ranged from mild (renaming it POS) to actually calling it as depressing as a film about the Holocaust. Was I just blinded by my love of Superman? Was I maybe too forgiving or just to easily entertained?

Nope. I still love it. I still think it's the grandest, most epic Super Hero movie ever. I am still awed and still cry AND laugh and above all feel I got the Superman film I did not even fathom I could want, or love. I can't deny there is some nostalgia affecting me because I felt I was sdeing a live action take on the Byrne/Carlin era Superman I read as a young boy through my late teen years. Is that so wrong?

I'm so happy to have this in my Blu Ray collection. Right now I have the extras disc in and am watching the film with all the cast and crew (sans Costner for some reason) pop up to give production details and stories. Given that the a big reason behind making the film was legal I am amazed at the level of detail and artistry that went into this movie. Of course, my opinion is it all comes out in the finished product. Snyder and Co. just gave me a personal gift, or at least thats's what it feels like. I can't wait for 2015, especially if Snyder can get a lot of the same crew back that gave this thing such visual depth and texture. Now if you'll excuse me Traue is talking about Faora's crying scene. I have to imagine comforting her. "There, there baby... "
Same here, KRYPTON.

Old 11-13-2013, 04:05 AM   #797
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
So I just watched MOS for the first time. The postman was kind enough to drop it in my mailbox today. I stayed completely spoiler free and went into this movie cold with no expectations. Well that is wrong...I think I expected to be disappointed, but wow this was a really good movie. I have no complaints, though I'm sure I'll find some after a few more viewings.

Couple of things I noticed...Cavill's wonderful pectorals muscles....yowza!!!
You watched it the 1st time!!!???? U live in a city without cinema???

Old 11-13-2013, 04:11 AM   #798
JaD
Thriller Night

I just watched the Honest Trailer for MoS, wow. The dubstep terraforming joke killed me

"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today."
James Dean
Old 11-13-2013, 04:33 AM   #799
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
You watched it the 1st time!!!???? U live in a city without cinema???
LOL...I don't go to movies anymore. I did consider going to this one and my fangirl CRIED that I didn't, but I just couldn't do it. I am not that interested in seeing movies in the theaters anymore. The hardest part is trying not be spoiled, so I went dark on any and everything related to this movie. I didn't read reviews, MBs, or my fav Supermanhomepage.com. I wanted to really try to just see it cold with no expectations.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:56 AM   #800
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
LOL...I don't go to movies anymore. I did consider going to this one and my fangirl CRIED that I didn't, but I just couldn't do it. I am not that interested in seeing movies in the theaters anymore. The hardest part is trying not be spoiled, so I went dark on any and everything related to this movie. I didn't read reviews, MBs, or my fav Supermanhomepage.com. I wanted to really try to just see it cold with no expectations.
Wow. U got stamina!!! How did u do that to resist all the temptations? ?? Keep urself busy all days long. How about when ur friends talked about it, especially when they know u r a fan n u hadn't watched it? Ran away??? Lol.
Btw, glad u like it finally.

Last edited by sf2; 11-13-2013 at 06:01 AM.
Closed Thread