The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 04:21 PM   #151
The Guard
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Pa

I blame a generation of comic book heroes blaming themselves for things they have no control over (thanks Chris Nolan!) for a generation not understanding how to assign blame in a similar facet.

In no way, shape or form is Superman actually responsible for Zod's horrible actions.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
Old 07-30-2013, 04:41 PM   #152
tomoe
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
No, HE'S NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR IT!! Not in any legal, ethical, or moral way. It was a coincidence. And Zod even said that he was visiting ALL of the old Kryptonian colonies looking for survivors, so he would have found Earth eventually anyway. He prevented global genocide, that's heroic, and saying otherwise is ridiculous.
How is it a coincidence?! Zod said himself that Kal led him here. A coincidence would be if Zod just happened to find earth the same time Kal activated the ship. I wish it had been a coincidence, and indeed Goyer could have made it coincidence by just omitting the part where Zod blatantly says that Kal led him to earth. But nope, it seems Goyer went out of his way to put some blame on Kal. I agree Kal is not responsible for it in any legal, ethical or moral way but his actions are what caused Zod to make a beeline for earth. I don't even see how that is deniable when it is blatantly stated in the movie.

And I agree Zod may have found earth eventually, so why not just have had him find it eventually without connecting it to Kal at all?

Say you received this key to a door that leads to treasure. You open the door but doing that leads to a series of bombs going off, killing a bunch of people. Darn you didn't know it would do that so you're not responsible or guilty at all? You rush to stop the rest of the bombs from going off and finally succeed so yay you're a hero?

I mean certainly Kal stopping Zod was more heroic than doing nothing, but that heroism is just undercut somewhat by the fact that Zod was on earth in the first place because of him.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:44 PM   #153
tomoe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
I blame a generation of comic book heroes blaming themselves for things they have no control over (thanks Chris Nolan!) for a generation not understanding how to assign blame in a similar facet.

In no way, shape or form is Superman actually responsible for Zod's horrible actions.
He is not responsible for Zod's horrible actions but because of him, Zod is on earth doing these horrible actions. And I keep repeating myself that YES I know Kal had no idea what would happen and it's not fair to blame him HOWEVER he STILL led Zod to earth. I really just wish they had not written it this way.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:03 PM   #154
Tempest
....What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoe View Post
How is it a coincidence?! Zod said himself that Kal led him here. A coincidence would be if Zod just happened to find earth the same time Kal activated the ship. I wish it had been a coincidence, and indeed Goyer could have made it coincidence by just omitting the part where Zod blatantly says that Kal led him to earth. But nope, it seems Goyer went out of his way to put some blame on Kal. I agree Kal is not responsible for it in any legal, ethical or moral way but his actions are what caused Zod to make a beeline for earth. I don't even see how that is deniable when it is blatantly stated in the movie.
So? This is a trope used quite often in literature. Nice Job Breaking It, Hero, is an old, old trope. And while it's true that Clark's actions drew Zod to Earth, his actions weren't careless -- and Jor-El's computer program is somewhat responsible, because he could have shut down the emergency beacon himself. Who knows what other aliens could have been drawn to Earth by that beacon?

Quote:
And I agree Zod may have found earth eventually, so why not just have had him find it eventually without connecting it to Kal at all?
I don't know why this bothers you. Superman has done other stupid things in comics. And he's also shouldered the blame for situations that occurred that were mostly out of his control. This is just another aspect of making Clark a character who resonates with people. Who hasn't done something that ended up with a negative result that you didn't anticipate?

Quote:
Say you received this key to a door that leads to treasure. You open the door but doing that leads to a series of bombs going off, killing a bunch of people. Darn you didn't know it would do that so you're not responsible or guilty at all? You rush to stop the rest of the bombs from going off and finally succeed so yay you're a hero?
Yes. Pretty much. I could understand why a person would feel guilty (survivor's guilt, mostly) about such a scenario, but it isn't a logical response to blame them. How could they know that opening the door would end up killing people? If they were not forewarned of the potential consequences, why should they bear the blame at all?

Quote:
I mean certainly Kal stopping Zod was more heroic than doing nothing, but that heroism is just undercut somewhat by the fact that Zod was on earth in the first place because of him.
Yeah, but Kal wouldn't have been on earth if it weren't for Jor-El, and Jor-El wouldn't have had to send his son into space if it weren't for the Kryptonian government's laziness, and if Lara had never bothered to carry to Kal to full term, this wouldn't have happened....

It's silly to blame Clark. He was a catalyst for bringing the Kyrpontians to Earth perhaps, but he's not responsible for Zod's actions.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:04 PM   #155
The Guard
Side-Kick

The beacon led Zod to Earth. Not Superman.

Unless Superman knowingly activated the beacon (which he did not, he was unaware of it until Zod talked about being drawn to Earth due to one), it is not his fault Zod is on Earth doing horrible things.

Goyer wasn't assigning blame to Superman when he wrote that bit in. Goyer was creating another reason for the Fortress to be in the story. He was tying existing story threads together for a more connected narrative, rather than having Zod "stumble" onto Earth.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night

Last edited by The Guard; 07-30-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:24 PM   #156
tomoe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
It's silly to blame Clark. He was a catalyst for bringing the Kyrpontians to Earth perhaps, but he's not responsible for Zod's actions.
And that's the thing. Yes he really can't be blamed in any fair or moral or legal or whatever way, but I don't think he should have been that catalyst that led Zod to earth in the first place. And I don't like it when this happens in other movies about heroes either. But I'm not as invested in other superheroes as I am in Superman. So I don't rant and rave and dwell on it like I do for Superman movies.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:38 PM   #157
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Speaking of which, poor Zack doesn't get the proper directorial credit among the GA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
http://www.gotham-news.com/news/2013...n-announcement

Who directed Man of Steel?

Chris Nolan 46% (461 votes) (Majority)

Old 07-30-2013, 11:22 PM   #158
Loki882
Side-Kick

This argument is like blaming the victim of a crime for the crime, saying that they were somehow responsible for it, NO THEY WEREN'T.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:24 PM   #159
roach
I am the night

Quote:
This argument is like blaming the victim of a crime for the crime, saying that they were somehow responsible for it, NO THEY WEREN'T.
depends on the crime

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in today’s protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You don’t like a story? That’s fine – don’t read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 07-30-2013, 11:53 PM   #160
tomoe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Good lord, no it isn't! Superman wasn't the victim. Or at least he wasn't the victim who lost the most from his own actions. Those thousands of people who lost their lives as a result of him leading Zod to earth were the victims. And I have said over and over again, I KNOW HE CANNOT FAIRLY BE BLAMED FOR IT, DIDN'T KNOW WHAT WOULD HAPPEN, ETC. HOWEVER, he cannot be completely free of blame either. What if your family was killed in that world engine attack? You wouldn't resent him in the slightest even knowing his actions brought Zod to earth resulting in their deaths? You would hail him as a hero? Even if you would, not everyone would, and many people would definitely blame him.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:54 PM   #161
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Even if Superman is responsible (inadverdently.) for leading the other Kryptonians to Earth,
They are responsible for everything that they did when they got here .

Old 07-31-2013, 12:01 AM   #162
tomoe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
Even if Superman is responsible (inadverdently.) for leading the other Kryptonians to Earth,
They are responsible for everything that they did when they got here .
And I completely agree with that. Zod and company are directly responsible for their own actions. But since Superman did inadvertently bring them to earth, he is connected to what happened as a result of their actions even though their actions aren't his fault. He set things in motion, even though he didn't mean to.

Last edited by tomoe; 07-31-2013 at 01:03 AM.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:15 AM   #163
Iron Patriot
On The Job

I would say that Clark is responsible for anybody who died in Smallville because he brought Zod and the other Kryptonians there. Was it that hard to tackle Zod to one of the many empty fields in Kansas, Clark?

Old 07-31-2013, 10:31 AM   #164
STARMAN
Side-Kick

This is silly. You might as well blame every hero in every comic book movie then. Including the Chris Reeve Superman.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:34 AM   #165
Tempest
....What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Patriot View Post
I would say that Clark is responsible for anybody who died in Smallville because he brought Zod and the other Kryptonians there. Was it that hard to tackle Zod to one of the many empty fields in Kansas, Clark?

It's too bad you aren't a super hero, in law enforcement, or the POTUS. I'm sure you could do it a billion times better than any of them.

I don't know if you've noticed this, but most comic book battles don't happen in a cornfield, or an abandoned lot.

The reason for this is because it's more interesting to wantonly destroy buildings. Visually, and from a story-telling basis, putting people in danger makes the story more compelling and gripping.

Even in the cartoon series, the cities were damaged all the time. This is how it's been for eons. I don't know why MOS is catching so much flak for it. It's not like it's the first film ever to destroy a small town or two city blocks all for the joy of having explosions and buildings falling over.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:04 AM   #166
sf2
Side-Kick

Reading all these, I think there should be a game or song called... Blame Superman!!! For whatsoever things happen in our life.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:10 AM   #167
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:

It's too bad you aren't a super hero, in law enforcement, or the POTUS. I'm sure you could do it a billion times better than any of them.

I don't know if you've noticed this, but most comic book battles don't happen in a cornfield, or an abandoned lot.

The reason for this is because it's more interesting to wantonly destroy buildings. Visually, and from a story-telling basis, putting people in danger makes the story more compelling and gripping.

Even in the cartoon series, the cities were damaged all the time. This is how it's been for eons. I don't know why MOS is catching so much flak for it. It's not like it's the first film ever to destroy a small town or two city blocks all for the joy of having explosions and buildings falling over.

Well said. Even though I would be fine with the PZ ending, all Zack did with the final fight is try to bring the JLU brawls into live action. He gets way too much hate.

Last edited by TheFlamingCoco; 07-31-2013 at 11:14 AM.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:32 AM   #168
FlawlessVictory
Side-Kick

Quote:

Even in the cartoon series, the cities were damaged all the time. This is how it's been for eons.I don't know why MOS is catching so much flak for it. It's not like it's the first film ever to destroy a small town or two city blocks all for the joy of having explosions and buildings falling over.

He gets so much flak for it because the destruction came across as so realistic. People just couldn't handle that I suppose in a comic book movie and a Superman movie of all heroes. Superman is supposed to be so kid friendly and this movie wasn't. One can argue there is destruction in The Avengers as well, but to me, it never felt as "heavy" and "real" as it did in MOS.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:11 PM   #169
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlawlessVictory View Post

He gets so much flak for it because the destruction came across as so realistic. People just couldn't handle that I suppose in a comic book movie and a Superman movie of all heroes. Superman is supposed to be so kid friendly and this movie wasn't. One can argue there is destruction in The Avengers as well, but to me, it never felt as "heavy" and "real" as it did in MOS.
and that's what I loved about MOS ( and the ending ).

they didn't try to sugarcoat it or anything.

Disney Lover and Proud!!
Old 07-31-2013, 02:35 PM   #170
Skrilla31
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoe View Post
And I completely agree with that. Zod and company are directly responsible for their own actions. But since Superman did inadvertently bring them to earth, he is connected to what happened as a result of their actions even though their actions aren't his fault. He set things in motion, even though he didn't mean to.
Which begs the question, if I put out a fire that I helped start... would you still call me a hero? Because that's exactly what Superman does in this movie. The world was better off before Superman.

And I see a lot of people suggesting that perhaps Superman could have taken the fight to an abandoned cornfield or something. I mean sure that's one way... but couldn't he have just taken the fight like several thousand feet above the Metropolis skyline?

Old 07-31-2013, 03:05 PM   #171
FlawlessVictory
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrilla31 View Post
Which begs the question, if I put out a fire that I helped start... would you still call me a hero? Because that's exactly what Superman does in this movie. The world was better off before Superman.

And I see a lot of people suggesting that perhaps Superman could have taken the fight to an abandoned cornfield or something. I mean sure that's one way... but couldn't he have just taken the fight like several thousand feet above the Metropolis skyline?
No, because you purposely started that fire knowing the consequence it would have. Kal had no idea the consequences involved when he inserted the command key. Not even remotely close.

Right before Superman and Zod began to fight, Zod said he would kill these humans that Superman cares for so much to make him suffer. So at that moment Superman immediately takes the fight to him. Had Superman floated above Metropolis waiting for Zod, who knows how many humans Zod would have killed while Superman floated there waiting. Zod's main objective at this point was to kill humans.

Now I guess one can argue, then punch Zod or aim the punches to keep Zod above the skyline. That sounds much easier said than done. A rookie fighter being able to contain a fight with a trained superpowered general to a certain area who is hellbent on killing people?

Old 07-31-2013, 03:10 PM   #172
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
Speaking of which, poor Zack doesn't get the proper directorial credit among the GA.
Not totally unexpected.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:21 PM   #173
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

something I found on the net...

Old 07-31-2013, 06:05 PM   #174
Tempest
....What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrilla31 View Post

Look, if you started the fire on purpose, you would be a criminal. If you were playing with gasoline and matches, then you'd be a dumbass. But if you were near a lantern, say, and you accidentally kicked it over, then I'm not going to judge you. Accidents happen.

What Clark did was an accident. And he didn't run off when the trouble arrived on Earth, he didn't leave it to others to handle the problem. He was right there in the middle of things, trying to figure out how to stop the invasion, and how to save his adopted world.

So yes, Clark is a hero. And if you accidentally set a fire, and risked everything you had to put it out, or to rescue people (or both!), then yes, you are a hero.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:51 PM   #175
bluearth
Side-Kick

The most pure heroes have been pushed to killing. Heres a good example from DBZ (spoiler if you havent seen the show)

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
The Frieza saga was meant to be the end of Dragon Ball, but because of it spopularity Toriyama brought Fireza back etc. Frieza was originally meant to die once and for all here

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Closed Thread