The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

View Poll Results: Who do you think is the most likely to steal the show?
Henry Cavill's Superman 9 17.31%
Ben Affleck's Batman 19 36.54%
Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman 7 13.46%
Jesse Eisenberg's Lex Luthor 16 30.77%
Ray Fisher's Cyborg 1 1.92%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-24-2014, 03:39 PM   #1
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Default At this point, who is more likely to steal the show?

With many movies, especially CBM's, there will sometimes be one performance that gets seperated from the rest and put on the pedestal.

Often times its the villain, most notably Heath Ledger's performance as The Joker in TDK.

Sometimes, its the lead himself who is the most talked about element. In the eyes of many, the Iron Man films are solely defined by RDJ's Tony Stark. Hugh Jackman's Wolverine was designed to be THE leading man of the X-Franchise, and that approach has been very successful...sadly, IMO.

Sometimes, however...there is a dark horse that no one saw coming. No one predicted just how popular Mark Ruffalo's Hulk would be when "The Avengers" came out. After all, not only was RDJ in it, but some fans were still upset that Ruffalo replaced Ed Norton as Bruce Banner.

There are a lot of iconic characters being represented in this film, all carrying the potential of a breakout performance. Which of the following do you see stealing the show in B vs S:

Henry Cavill's Superman
Ben Affleck's Batman
Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman
Jesse Eisenberg's Lex Luthor

The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:46 PM   #2
DeGenerate10
Br Ba

Default Re: At this point, who is more likely to steal the show?

I think that Ben is very close to Bruce/Batman but Eisenberg isn't really like the Lex we've been exposed to. I think Jesse will steal the show but all the actors are going to do great. I think that it's just more of a stretch for Jesse than anyone else.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:47 PM   #3
Tra-El
Side-Kick

I think this movie has a great mashup of stars already to the point where they all will shine. Cavill's Superman is destined to hit another character-based performance in his Clark Kent, Daily Planet Superman so the focus on that can stun crowds into really buying into that aspect.

Affleck's portrayal of Batman in his scenes will be closely observed, juggling being a new Batman and whether or not he fits the vision correctly in a more comic-book version and his relationship with Alfred being an older Batman.

Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman speaks for itself. People will be skepitcal, but eager to see the Wonder Woman character break out on screen, so the anticipation for a big scene with her will resonate.

But in the MIDDLE of ALL OF THAT, there will be a driving force in what makes every hero tick, and that's Eisenberg's Lex Luthor. The villain sometimes sets the tone so I think Jesee Eisenberg's portrayal as a RUTHLESS Lex Luthor and his reputation of being a tremendous actor could shine all the way through.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:52 PM   #4
InJustice
Side-Kick

With the general public's low opinion of Ben Affleck as Batman, I think he has the biggest potential to outshine the other members and steal the show. It hinges on his dialogue and how the story was written to accommodate Batman.

Dark horse pick for me is Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor, if only because I have no clue what to expect, but I know that Eisenberg is a great actor.

InJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:01 PM   #5
Psycho_Sith
Resident Rocker

I believe they're all going to blow away the hater expectations, but I say Gal's WW is going to be the big show-stealer.

...simply because I wanna see her make everybody eat a steamy pile of crow.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:15 PM   #6
snpklsdmbldr
welcome to the planet

unfair for Henry/Superman to steal his own show. everyone except him has the advantage. lol

DFB-GER 2014 + FCB #31/10 + Scuderia Ferrari + DCCU 2020

snpklsdmbldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:16 PM   #7
The Batman
The Dark Knight

How so?

EDIT: Then again, I think you're right, lol

The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:19 PM   #8
MrsKent26
Whatever.

I'm hoping Henry's Supes steals the show, but I have no clue who will. I hope they're all good and no one is called the "weak link" or whatever.

While I enjoyed MOS for showing us mostly pre-Superman stuff, I'm ready for some superman stuff. Cavill did so well with what MOS gave him, that I hope he gets some more opportunities to show us how Super he can be.

\S/T*
MrsKent26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:27 PM   #9
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho_Sith View Post
I believe they're all going to blow away the hater expectations, but I say Gal's WW is going to be the big show-stealer.

...simply because I wanna see her make everybody eat a steamy pile of crow.
I say Gadot would also be the show stealer if she does good. Wonder Woman has an element of unfamiliarity, unlike Superman or Batman. Also, most audiences don't have preconceptions tainted by the ultrafamous Affleck or the "destructive" Superman (yeah, I know that much of the damage of Metropolis isn't his fault, it's just that stigma is there).

Affleck has the most to lose, I think, in terms of reception. Though the character that needs to be the best received is Wonder Woman. Her performance (and Terrio's writing) is the difference between a solo sequel or her being phased out Cyclops-style.

If Cavill gets a lot of scenes with Superman in a quiet context, he'll be better received. I do think there's a lot of selective memory in regards to MOS. Superman wasn't mopey unless he was reacting to a serious situation. Clark on the other hand was, but not to the point of extreme self-pity like Peter Parker has been in the Spider-Man movies.

But Affleck's reception REALLY hinges on the movie as a whole. If he gives a less than steller performance in a weak movie, he'll be trashed. If he gives a strong performance in this movie, and it's weak, he'll be blamed for not doing enough to save the movie, or his performance would go unnoticed.

But if he gives a strong performance in a strong movie, it will be a highlight of this film. I don't think it'd have the "Ledger" effect, but it might have the "Chris Evans" effect. Eisenberg nailing a well-written version of LL would probably have a better chance of recreating the HL feeling.

TheFlamingCoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:31 PM   #10
MrsKent26
Whatever.

I forgot about Eisenberg. I'm hoping he's the best villain since TDK's Joker. I'm tired of people saying Lex is a weak villain/corny, etc. We need to see a more fearsome Lex on screen instead of silly real estate Lex.

\S/T*
MrsKent26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:36 PM   #11
Psycho_Sith
Resident Rocker

I think if they all get a memorable scene/line/moment to shine that it'll even out and every one of them will "get their day" so to speak.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:56 PM   #12
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKent26 View Post
I forgot about Eisenberg. I'm hoping he's the best villain since TDK's Joker. I'm tired of people saying Lex is a weak villain/corny, etc. We need to see a more fearsome Lex on screen instead of silly real estate Lex.
I think Eisenberg would be the best villain (since Loki, anyway) if his lines play on the audience's apprehension of the character. If he talked about how Superman didn't do enough to help the City, how he's not cooperative enough with the government, that he can't save everyone, etc. It would allow the audience to understand his arguments against the character, while at the same time indicting them for not paying attention to the overall picture. Likewise, Clark should spend 70 percent of the movie gaining the trust of the people around him.

I think BatFleck should ditch the sympathetic aspect of Batman. Not entirely, but place it on the back burner. Having him be a cold-blooded, shadowy detective who is seemingly bothered by nothing would create a contrast with BaleMan, while allowing the character to have traits that can be deconstructed later on.

As for partyboy Wayne, Affleck should't try to feel like a different character. No matter what he does, the net will say he's playing himself. So he should play up the goofy and neurotic attributes that he already posses in real life, and then when the lights are down and he's alone, he should act serious and thoughtful. And I think he can come across that way, based on his performances in Hollywoodland, the Town, and Argo.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:57 PM   #13
Psycho_Sith
Resident Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
I think Eisenberg would be the best villain (since Loki, anyway) if his lines play on the audience's apprehension of the character. If he talked about how Superman didn't do enough to help the City, how he's not cooperative enough with the government, that he can't save everyone, etc. It would allow the audience to understand his arguments against the character, while at the same time indicting them for not paying attention to the overall picture. Likewise, Clark should spend 70 percent of the movie gaining the trust of the people around him.

I think BatFleck should ditch the sympathetic aspect of Batman. Not entirely, but place it on the back burner. Having him be a cold-blooded, shadowy detective who is seemingly bothered by nothing would create a contrast with BaleMan, while allowing the character to have traits that can be deconstructed later on.

As for partyboy Wayne, Affleck should't try to feel like a different character. No matter what he does, the net will say he's playing himself. So he should play up the goofy and neurotic attributes that he already posses in real life, and then when the lights are down and he's alone, he should act serious and thoughtful. And I think he can come across that way, based on his performances in Hollywoodland, the Town, and Argo.
All of this for the win

Old 04-24-2014, 05:00 PM   #14
Rowsdower!
Infinity and beyond

I think all of them will be good (I already KNOW Cavill will be good, as will Amy Adams as Lois) and hopefully they'll all get their moment to shine. But if I had to pick one, I'd say it will probably be Eisenberg. Because even though the backlash against Ben as Batman was greater, he's not as much of an "out of the box" choice for Bruce Wayne (he isn't at all, really, when you think about it). I'm sure he'll be good and perhaps great but if Jesse manages to knock Lex out of the park, people are going to rave about it. Gal I expect to do well, though I have a feeling her role will be smaller than the others; more of a lead-in to other films.

Jensen Ackles for Convenience Store Clerk #2
Rowsdower! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:15 PM   #15
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
I think all of them will be good (I already KNOW Cavill will be good, as will Amy Adams as Lois) and hopefully they'll all get their moment to shine. But if I had to pick one, I'd say it will probably be Eisenberg. Because even though the backlash against Ben as Batman was greater, he's not as much of an "out of the box" choice for Bruce Wayne (he isn't at all, really, when you think about it). I'm sure he'll be good and perhaps great but if Jesse manages to knock Lex out of the park, people are going to rave about it. Gal I expect to do well, though I have a feeling her role will be smaller than the others; more of a lead-in to other films.
This.....but if it's a strong villain and has a well written role.....they almost always steal the show

Old 04-24-2014, 05:18 PM   #16
Masone
Side-Kick

I think Eisenberg's Lex Luthor.

I think he'll have the best performance. Villains get to show off more than the heroes, and some people are counting Jesse out. Think he will surprise.

Masone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:21 PM   #17
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Adrian Paul in a surprise guest role as The Highlander

ArmsHeldOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:22 PM   #18
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Eisenberg's Luthor.

He's arguably the best actor in the cast, playing the (a) villain, and a modern reinvention at that.

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:23 PM   #19
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masone View Post
I think Eisenberg's Lex Luthor.

I think he'll have the best performance. Villains get to show off more than the heroes, and some people are counting Jesse out. Think he will surprise.
Funny enough, I think it'll really be on the writing to cater to Jesse's quirks. He always talks fast and is somewhat unusual, even when playing "normal" characters.

That being said, I hope playing Lex allows him to branch out and do more

Old 04-24-2014, 06:59 PM   #20
Rowsdower!
Infinity and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsHeldOut View Post
Adrian Paul in a surprise guest role as The Highlander

"Batman and Wonder Woman and Cyborg and Duncan McLeod? IS THIS EVEN A SUPERMAN MOVIE ANYMORE?"

Jensen Ackles for Convenience Store Clerk #2
Rowsdower! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:23 PM   #21
Side-Kick

I think it'll be the two most controversial casting (I think most people have gotten over Affleck). Gadot and Eisenberg will end up being highlights.

Best CBMs
1. Batman Begins 2. Man of Steel 3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier 4. The Dark Knight 5. Avengers
113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:40 PM   #22
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Whoever gets the role of Jimmy Olsen if he's in it. Kids will be asking their parents for watches that go "Zee-zee-zee!"

On a more serious note, I have a feeling it'll be Luthor.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:45 PM   #23
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

I think Batfleck has/will have a lot going for him. It's his first appearance in the role and people are interested. The character of Batman is a big talking point for this film, let's be honest. And the iconography will surely be stunning and please fans. I also think Gal will be fantastic, along with Cavill.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy - Alice 2
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:46 PM   #24
Superchan
Side-Kick

Who will steal the show? Easy the one who's written the best.

Superchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:49 PM   #25
DorneyDave
Side-Kick

I think people will leave the theater talking about Wonder Woman, since she won't have as much time her scenes will have more impact.

DorneyDave is offline   Reply With Quote