The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 06:02 PM   #251
Steamteck
Side-Kick

Default Re: Henry Cavill IS Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~.:/|T-MaN|\:.~ View Post
Not critically. True story, not one of my friends has said they enjoyed it. I have heard nothing but negative word-of-mouth even leaving the theater last month. But since money/ticket sales is all that is apparently required for a film to be a success now days... Yes, huge hit
Well my true story among my friends is just the opposite. I've heard nothing but positive word of mouth. I guess it depends on who you hang out with.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:05 PM   #252
Superchan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlawlessVictory View Post
He's referring to The Lone Ranger since Hammer is in the pic.
I can't speak for the guy but Im pretty sure that the term "sandwitch" has to refer to both henry and armie for it to apply.

Quote:
Oh Henry, oh Henry!

You've got the look, you've got the presence, you've got the charisma.

You won me over in the months before the film's release.

You disappointed me in the actual film.

Hope springs eternal and I honestly think my disappointment may have been less you than other things - the script, the fact they gave you so few lines - shades of Routh/SR, that you were directed to scowl through most of the film.

I am not happy at all that you have to share time - equally maybe - with the new Batman actor in WF. And then with 4 additional actors in JL.

You could have grown into an awesome Superman in another solo MOS. I won't even touch on the spark you and Amy had in the interrogation room scene which wasn't followed up on - what a love story the two of you could have given us in a trilogy.

It is what it is sadly.

If when your Superman run is up after WF and JL, I'd think long and hard about signing on for more films if all WB will give you is a supporting role in JL. You deserve better than that. Maybe switch teams to Marvel - Downey needs to be replaced in the next few years.

Course I'm still waiting for a reply to my offer to buy you a beer and fish and chips at FishBar.
Seriously Tobias you have to cut that stuff out, we don't know anything about WF except the fact that it will focus on both superman and batman. As for JL, well to be honest there has been no official confirmation (to my knowledge) that it's even happening in 2017.
Finally I am certain that there will be atleast another superman solo film by 2018 or 2019 at the latest, especially since WF will make alot of money regardless of quality and it give both MOS and the new batman franchise the boost they need to compete for the billion dollar honors.

Quote:
Yeah but you gota love Roads Not Taken in season 3. It could have made for a great film. Superman lives in it, he dies in it and stays dead (at Lois/Lana's hands) and you get good Superman, tyrant Superman. Love that ep.
Again ruined by Christopher's horrid acting, honestly I almost couldn't bare to watch that show in the last 2 seasons because of him and it's quite sad because he had the look, he was likable and apparently he was a big superman fan.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:11 PM   #253
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamteck View Post
Well my true story among my friends is just the opposite. I've heard nothing but positive word of mouth. I guess it depends on who you hang out with.
Same.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:15 PM   #254
Tobias
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superchan View Post
I can't speak for the guy but Im pretty sure that the term "sandwitch" has to refer to both henry and armie for it to apply.

Again ruined by Christopher's horrid acting, honestly I almost couldn't bare to watch that show in the last 2 seasons because of him and it's quite sad because he had the look, he was likable and apparently he was a big superman fan.
Regardless of Christopher, who I feel was not a bad actor - not great either, Roads Not Taken would have been great adapted to film. So too Mind Games. Or Threesome (multi-villain story). Snyder had Lois know the secret but 20 plus years earlier Superboy had Lana know the secret - and came up with the "death" idea to begin with.

Christopher was poised to star in a set of new Superman films - the first would have involved Brainiac and would have seen Superman die. Lois and Clark put a kabash on those plans. The script is out there for the planned, at the time, Superman 5. I don't have a link but it was written by Cary Bates and if you goggle you should be able to find it.

BTW, as you may know, season 2 of Superboy is now available from WB On Demand.

Christopher owns the master tapes - but apparently can't publicly use them - and would like to release full-on DVDs of all 100 eps with bloopers and commentaries and all. But WB/DC has to agree to that and money issues are making it look like it won't happen. As if Christopher - and the others, who never got residuals cause Superboy was blocked from rerun syndication by WB and Viacom, should do this all for free.

I've met Christopher years ago at a comic convention and he is a great guy and you are correct a huge Superman fan. At that convention I purchased 100 photos from the series, not from Christopher but from a vendor, and they are among my most precious Superman memorabilia. A Superboy site wanted me to send the photos to them so they could duplicate but no way. I won't part with them. I've tried to scan them but it comes out looking bad.

I've seen photos of Gerard and Stacy from a 2012 SOCAL comic convention and, at 42, Stacy is hotter than ever - a red head like Amy who I loved as Lois - and, in his mid-50s - Gerard looks like he is early 40s. I hope to meet Stacy if she comes to a convention in my area (Bay Area) and Gerard again too if he gets up here.

Last edited by Tobias; 08-21-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:24 PM   #255
Szetsilya
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

I don't want Henry in a movie with Armie, Armie Hammer movie usually equals a flop.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:49 PM   #256
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User

Armie was good in a couple things I saw him in, but ya TLR bombed so that is all people can think of now.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:02 AM   #257
~.:/|T-MaN|\:.~
A Thousand Days Before

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Which is ironic considering on how we’ve had many more reports about people lamenting on how they had several people leaving the theaters with a satisfied look on their faces, with many talking about on how much they enjoyed the film as they were walking out of the theater rooms, along with how the film received a lot of applauses at the end.
they were applauding the credits finally rolling. The theater I was in was full of people of all ages. The little kids had no idea what was going on 15 minutes in and started playing with the arm rests. The adults were giggling and sighing at the dialogue and 3 people walked out. Reminds me of the wolverine screening i went to two weeks ago, which saddens me.

If the film divides the fans to the degree it has, then do you really think the general public even cares? if it wasn't as good as it could have been (which is the consensus on RT) then that's it. Not a big deal, and they will be the last demographic to desperately defend a film to try to find the good spots because they simply just wanted to see a good movie. They know little about the cannon and character.

Of course this is all my opinion, each to their own, and sorry mods to go off topic. Back to Henry

Old 08-22-2013, 12:06 AM   #258
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
they were applauding the credits finally rolling. The theater I was in was full of people of all ages. The little kids had no idea what was going on 15 minutes in and started playing with the arm rests. The adults were giggling and sighing at the dialogue and 3 people walked out. Reminds me of the wolverine screening i went to two weeks ago, which saddens me.

If the film divides the fans to the degree it has, then do you really think the general public even cares? if it wasn't as good as it could have been (which is the consensus on RT) then that's it. Not a big deal, and they will be the last demographic to desperately defend a film to try to find the good spots because they simply just wanted to see a good movie. They know little about the cannon and character.

Of course this is all my opinion, each to their own, and sorry mods to go off topic. Back to Henry
You talk as if your theater's audiences represent EVERYONE'S opinions. Yeah, there's no denying that there were screenings where the people there didn't respond favorably to the film, but in the same time, there were just as many (PROVEN FACT) screenings where the people there did enjoy it, and if you think that this is all false then you're in need of a serious reality check.

And plus, if you checked closely, you'd see that a good amount of the reasons why some didn't like this film was that they were expecting a Marvel/Donner-like film version of Superman; some people aren't ready to move on from that take.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:22 AM   #259
Tempest
Life is a cookie

Quote:

I just read an article on this topic. The GA reaction has been quite positive. It is really only with the rabid fanchildren and certain critics who have been overall dissatisfied with the film.

The top critiques of the film by 'professional' critics have been based on several things: They hate Snyder, they loved the Donner films, or they don't like CGI period.

As for your theater experience, it's not that I don't believe you, but I suspect that your perception was perhaps tinged by your feelings of the film.

So, to keep this on topic, I'll share one of my favorite parts of the film.

It has fire, and it has a beautiful man who is half-naked. This scene alone was worth the price of admission:

Old 08-22-2013, 04:39 PM   #260
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

A feather in Cavill's cap. His much praised physical transformation for Man Of Steel was completely achieved without steroids!

Hollywood Reporter has run a great article about the use of steroids in Hollywood to achieve the necessary physiques for big roles. Below are the two paragraphs devoted to Man Of Steel.
Quote:
"The guy who uses steroids and admits to it earns more respect from me than the guy who uses but insists he doesn't and wants his fans to believe he did things the hard way," says elite trainer Mark Twight, an outspoken proponent of a drug-free regimen, who helped turn Man of Steel's HenryCavill's abdomen into one of the most-talked-about midsections of the year -- a feat that he says was achieved 100 percent naturally.

At least one studio made a conscious effort to keep its leading man squeaky clean. Before Cavill began his grueling five-month preproduction training for Steel, Warner Bros. requested a list of exactly what the training team might ask Cavill to use. Twight gladly complied, given that he believes radical body recomposition can be done naturally when it is guided by experienced trainers and driven by discipline and commitment. For Cavill, Twight recommended only Udo's Oil (a blend of essential fatty acids) and magnesium to aid sleep, the time when growth hormone occurs naturally.
"With Superman, well, that guy better be clean," says Twight. "Because other*wise, it's the kind of thing that turns around and bites your whole marketing campaign in the backside."
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...-a-list-609091

Old 08-22-2013, 04:39 PM   #261
STARMAN
Side-Kick

During the MOS Japanese press conference, Cavill talked about all the scripts that are supposedly coming his way now. So we'll see where his career goes.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:52 PM   #262
Szetsilya
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

It's disheartening that I only see praise for Henry's body on the internet. How bout his acting and how great his acting was.
Screw Armie I want to see Ben and Henry in a pic together.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:56 PM   #263
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARMAN View Post
During the MOS Japanese press conference, Cavill talked about all the scripts that are supposedly coming his way now. So we'll see where his career goes.
Really? Link?

Old 08-22-2013, 10:57 PM   #264
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

His acting was fine but he didn't have too much to work with in a traditional sense. It was more brooding and such than a lot of meaty dialogue which is what people usually associate with good acting.

It will be interesting to see how he plays off of Affleck and how they balance the two's roles?

Old 08-23-2013, 01:07 AM   #265
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARMAN View Post
Yeah I saw he's getting all these great scripts but he has only bagged one Guy Ritchie film so far. Not my idea of a good script.

Old 08-24-2013, 03:02 AM   #266
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

So..how about that Superman for ya folks? You know, the one that was the star of the first DCU film? For a second I thought I was in the Batman forum since I couldn't find this thread on the first page.

Old 08-24-2013, 03:17 AM   #267
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Wasn't it always going to be this way? And hasn't WB sort of preternaturally biased things in favor of Batman by casting an infinitely bigger star than Cavill in the role of Batman?

Old 08-24-2013, 03:24 AM   #268
Glassjaw
In training

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumcat View Post
Wasn't it always going to be this way? And hasn't WB sort of preternaturally biased things in favor of Batman by casting an infinitely bigger star than Cavill in the role of Batman?
Hopefully rather then be detrimental to the film, it'll work as an advantage. Henry is/was a relative unknown compared to Afflek. Clark Kent is a humble, investigative reporter. Whereas Afflek is huge and well known, much like Bruce Wayne. I think having an A list actor play Batman wouldn't stick out as much as if an A lister was playing Superman. Without a mask, that would be hard to see past. And I guess with the other rumoured casting choices (Brolin, Gosling etc) this likely would have been a problem regardless, although I admit Afflek might make it extra difficult, everyone knows him.

Old 08-24-2013, 03:29 AM   #269
Glassjaw
In training

So when does Man From Uncle start filming? And when does Batman/Superman start? Is Cavill going to have the time needed to put in the work he did for his MoS physique? Or is he perhaps working on it already, and under his shirt and jacket, he'll be the henchest Man From Uncle ever

Old 08-24-2013, 03:37 AM   #270
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassjaw View Post
So when does Man From Uncle start filming?
It might literally be starting as we speak. Cavill's schedule was to fly straight from Japan promo to London to start prepping and then I believe early September it is on.
Quote:
And when does Batman/Superman start? Is Cavill going to have the time needed to put in the work he did for his MoS physique? Or is he perhaps working on it already, and under his shirt and jacket, he'll be the henchest Man From Uncle ever
Believe it or not, he is ALREADY training. His trainer revealed that even for a 2 day trip to Japan for promo, he accompanied Cavill there!He won't start cutting or anything now, but he is sort of in training. And he better not do a shirtless scene in U.N.C.L.E. otherwise it will shock people to see Napoleon Solo with a bodybuilder physique.

Old 08-24-2013, 03:50 AM   #271
Glassjaw
In training

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumcat View Post
And he better not do a shirtless scene in U.N.C.L.E. otherwise it will shock people to see Napoleon Solo with a bodybuilder physique.
Honestly after MoS and the gasps in the theatres heard all around the world during the clothes swiping scene, I wouldn't be surprised if every director that signs Cavill on has a clause saying he owes them at least one shirtless scene

Old 08-24-2013, 04:06 AM   #272
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Honestly after MoS and the gasps in the theatres heard all around the world during the clothes swiping scene, I wouldn't be surprised if every director that signs Cavill on has a clause saying he owes them at least one shirtless scene
Poor Cavill would never get to eat well then!

But not every director wants that. Cavill landed on set of The Cold Light Of Day straight from the set of Immortals absolutely shredded with an eight pack and in the best shape of his life. The director of The Cold Light Of Day was shocked to see him and told him he could have none of that in the film so he had to get rid of it all.

Old 08-24-2013, 04:11 AM   #273
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Here's a recent article from THR that praises Cavill for being one of the few actors in Hollywood who refused to use performance enhancing drugs (steroids) so as to bulk up for an upcoming role.

It's a bit long, so I'll wrap spoiler tags around the content and bold the parts directly related to Cavill.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
This story first appeared in the Sept. 6 issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine.

Performance-enhancing drugs have become the key to bulging biceps and onscreen six-packs, as the pressure for stars to shape up fast leads actors (but not "Man of Steel's" Henry Cavill, who bulked up naturally) to opt for a "shortcut."

In 2005, a 30-something actor on the precipice of superstardom began prepping for a lead feature role that required ample spotlight on his abs. The actor met with the film's trainer and outlined the performance-enhancing drugs, including human growth hormone (HGH), he already had been taking. The trainer, a firm believer that a chiseled physique should be achieved naturally, recused himself from working with the actor.

"He told me that HGH made him feel like nothing else ever made him feel," recalls the trainer, who declined to be identified out of respect for trainer/trainee confidentiality. "He was basically addicted. I told him to find another trainer. He did."

That actor, now an A-lister who continues to cash in on his impressive torso, is just one of Hollywood's growing list of stars who turn to injectable HGH and other performance-enhancing drugs (PEDs) amid the ever-competitive world of looking great at any age.

With its fountain-of-youth promise, HGH quietly has become the substance of choice for Tinseltown denizens looking to quickly burn fat, boost energy and even improve complexion. The drug costs up to $3,000 a month. Taken along with steroids ($50 to $150 per month), to help build muscle, the results can be startling.

Hollywood trainer Happy Hill, who has helped sculpt Jake Gyllenhaal and Ryan Phillippe, estimates that some 20 percent of actors use PEDs to bulk up and define. "HGH is on the scene now more than ever before," says Hill, who frowns upon PED use and stresses that none of his clients partake. "It's hard not to use. Some people, especially the older ones, are looking for that perfect gym body, and they want a shortcut."

As Hollywood struggles to groom a new generation of box-office draws, the 40-plus male star remains at the top of studio wish lists and is expected to doff his shirt like he did a decade or two ago. In fact, the shirtless shot has become de rigueur for tentpole campaigns. The trouble is that six-pack abs are difficult to maintain after the age of 40, "unless you are extremely genetically gifted," notes Hill, who points to the well-showcased frame of one 40-something leading man in a recent studio film as not plausible without a cycle or two of steroids.

Though doping might be relatively new to Hollywood, the sports world long has grappled with the phenomenon. In the past decade, revered athletes from track-and-field star Marion Jones to cyclist Lance Armstrong have seen their marketing prowess plummet after being tied to banned substances. This summer, Major League Baseball has been rocked by the Alex Rodriguez drug scandal. In light of his alleged PED use, he may be forced to forfeit more than $34 million in salary.

It comes as no surprise that few in the Hollywood spotlight admit to imbibing for fear of stigmatization. Oliver Stone, Nick Nolte and Dixie Carter -- who all extol the anti-aging benefits of HGH -- are among the exceptions. Charlie Sheen told Sports Illustrated that he took steroids to prep for his role as a pitcher in 1989's Major League. Mickey Rourke and Arnold Schwarzenegger also have opened up about using PEDs.

"The guy who uses steroids and admits to it earns more respect from me than the guy who uses but insists he doesn't and wants his fans to believe he did things the hard way," says elite trainer Mark Twight, an outspoken proponent of a drug-free regimen, who helped turn Man of Steel's Henry Cavill's abdomen into one of the most-talked-about midsections of the year -- a feat that he says was achieved 100 percent naturally.

As actors are becoming increasingly buff for their roles, more and more are fielding questions about PED use during junkets. On the press tour for Paramount's Pain & Gain, pumped stars Mark Wahlberg, 42, and Dwayne Johnson, 41, insisted that they trained without PEDs. "I went from 165 to 212 [pounds]," Wahlberg told THR at the film's premiere. "It was a lot of work and a lot of eating, but that's what the part required, so that's what I had to do."

USC professor and steroid expert Todd Schroeder says the human body can indeed accomplish some phenomenal results naturally, particularly in one's 20s, when natural testosterone production peaks. But for older actors, especially when they nab a role and are expected to get a ripped body quickly, the temptation to use may be too great. "If someone says, 'Hey, add [PEDs] to this workout,' you can get substantial changes very quickly," says Schroeder.

PED use is legal with a prescription in the U.S., but only to treat such conditions as short stature in children. However, physicians frequently are prosecuted for prescribing them for anti-aging or bodybuilding. Still, it's easy enough to find a conduit, particularly through trainers who inhabit the sketchier side of muscle-building. "You can walk into any old-school gym like Gold's in Venice Beach and get a hookup," says Hill.

Both steroids and HGH injections are easily self-administered. With HGH, a bio-engineered substance, the user pinches a layer of skin and fat -- ideally above the navel or on the inner thigh -- and inserts a small needle into the skin fold. Some PEDs are taken once a week, others require a daily shot, often split into a morning and evening routine.

Those who opt for the needle run the risk of being publicly outed. In 2007, Sylvester Stallone was busted for bringing 48 vials of HGH into Australia. Tyler Perry and 50 Cent were among a group of celebrities whose names surfaced in connection with a steroid investigation in New York in 2008. The Albany Times Union reported that Perry and 50 Cent allegedly ordered performance-enhancing drugs from doctors and pharmacists who were targeted in a statewide probe.

Several talent agents and managers interviewed for this piece chuckle at how steroid and HGH use is the new worst-kept secret in showbiz, the "no duh" cousin of Botox and Restylane, and point to scrawny actors who quickly morphed into he-men for roles. Studios largely have turned a blind eye to the practice, they contend.

In fact, studios might be part of the problem, with their tight schedules and Herculean expectations. An actor typically trains for just one to two months before tackling a body-intensive role, a far cry from the regimen of the professional athletes whose bodies they mirror.

"The pressure to perform in Hollywood is no different than it is in Major League Baseball," says nutritionist and performance coach Mike Dolce, who has helped MMA star-turned-actor Quinton "Rampage" Jackson and CSI: NY's A.J. Buckley get natural results. "These are people whose salaries are partially dependent upon how they look. Unfortunately, for those who take drugs, it's a short-term improvement followed by a crash. Their bodies and hormonal chemistry go to hell."

That contention is backed up by decades of medical research. Steroid use, especially over the long-term, can lead to liver damage. HGH use is considered less dangerous, with the common side effect being water retention, though it also has been shown to increase the risk of cancer, diabetes and heart failure. But perhaps the most troubling byproduct of all PEDs is psychological addiction. "You keep doing more and more, and you're not satisfied with how you look even though you've had significant improvement in your body composition," says Schroeder.

But director Vlad Yudin, who immersed himself in Venice Beach's bodybuilding scene for his documentary Generation Iron (Rourke narrates), out Sept. 20, is less alarmed. "The more actors learn about it, the more they tend to use it," Yudin says. "It comes down to how you use it and who can guide you. Without a proper guide, it can be dangerous. And again, it takes a lot of hard work regardless."

Yudin's take reflects that of the bodybuilding community, which is more laissez-faire about PED use and doesn't test for such substances in competition. Schwarzenegger became a user when he was earning such titles as Mr. Universe and Mr. Olympia, which helped launch his movie career.

Even Schroeder sees little harm in one-time use of steroids to bulk up for a specific role. "If it's for a short period of time, if they're doing it two or three months to help them get to a certain point, then it's fairly safe," he says.

Personal health risks aside, there remains a concern among people who track steroid use that Hollywood -- like the sports world -- is increasingly fostering unrealistic body images thanks to the more-ripped-than-ever tentpole star. Those depictions are digested by teens, who, Schroeder says, are more vulnerable to the side effects of PEDs than adults.

A 2012 study conducted by the University of Minnesota found that teens are using steroids and muscle-enhancing substances at higher rates than previously thought. Nearly 6 percent of boys in the survey reported using steroids, while the rate among girls was 4.6 percent.

At least one studio made a conscious effort to keep its leading man squeaky clean. Before Cavill began his grueling five-month preproduction training for Steel, Warner Bros. requested a list of exactly what the training team might ask Cavill to use. Twight gladly complied, given that he believes radical body recomposition can be done naturally when it is guided by experienced trainers and driven by discipline and commitment. For Cavill, Twight recommended only Udo's Oil (a blend of essential fatty acids) and magnesium to aid sleep, the time when growth hormone occurs naturally.

"With Superman, well, that guy better be clean," says Twight. "Because other*wise, it's the kind of thing that turns around and bites your whole marketing campaign in the backside."

For years I was alone in the echoing dark of that well.
But something else defined the exact moment Batman was born.
The first truth of Batman...
The saving grace.
I was never alone.
I had help."

- The Return of Bruce Wayne #6
by Grant Morrison, Lee Garbett, and Pere Perez
Old 08-24-2013, 04:15 AM   #274
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

I'm still hoping that at the end of the day, this is a MOS 2 story featuring Batman, and not a WF film.

I have a hard time at the moment getting passed the fact that Superman may not yet again have a direct sequel, thus meaning that the character hasn't had a direct sequel to his film in almost 30 years.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:13 AM   #275
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
I'm still hoping that at the end of the day, this is a MOS 2 story featuring Batman, and not a WF film.

I have a hard time at the moment getting passed the fact that Superman may not yet again have a direct sequel, thus meaning that the character hasn't had a direct sequel to his film in almost 30 years.
They asked Henry, his director and most of his cast to come back.

They didnt ask Routh,Singer, or any of their SR cast members to come back
Henry is the first returning Superman in over three decades .

Closed Thread