The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 01:13 AM   #901
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Default Re: Henry Cavill IS Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsHeldOut View Post
That's not true. As a kid, I attended one of the best private schools in the country, and, although my parents are certainly well-situated financially, they aren't what you would call "stinking rich" by any means.
Rich is a relative term. Some people have household incomes of $250,000/year and don't consider themselves "stinking rich" but rather "middle class".

For comparison, median household income in the USA is $52,762/year... they're not sending their kids to Andover or Exeter.

Old 09-23-2013, 01:18 AM   #902
Project862006
Banned User

i'm rich *****!!

Old 09-23-2013, 01:25 AM   #903
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Quote:
That's not true. As a kid, I attended one of the best private schools in the country, and, although my parents are certainly well-situated financially, they aren't what you would call "stinking rich" by any means.
I come from what I consider an upper middle-class family. My sister and I went to private universities and my parents could afford to pay for it, in full, for both of us. But my parents couldn't imagine shelling out a combined 8 more years of college tuition, for us to go to a private high school. That's how much a great private school costs out here - it's the same as paying for a private university. $30K a year. Most parents do not have $120K sitting around for their kid to go to high school. College is bad enough!

You may not be "family owns a yacht with its own crew" rich, but you're pretty up there. And it's okay to admit that! I have no idea what it's like to live paycheck to paycheck, or what it's like to go hungry, but I don't pretend I'm not privileged. I am extremely privileged, but I'm grateful for what I've been given and I don't intend to waste it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
Rich is a relative term. Some people have household incomes of $250,000/year and don't consider themselves "stinking rich" but rather "middle class".

For comparison, median household income in the USA is $52,762/year... they're not sending their kids to Andover or Exeter.
Exactly.

Old 09-23-2013, 04:55 AM   #904
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

You don't need to be well off to attend a top university in the UK. Some private schools in the UK are very affordable or do scholarships.

Most of the centuries old top private schools in the UK are very expensive though and they have a certain culture that is unique to those schools. It's very different to American private schools.

Kids that attend some of the more elite private schools in the UK wear school uniforms that look like something from the 17th or early 20th century.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:03 AM   #905
Project862006
Banned User

look ridiculous lol

Old 09-23-2013, 05:27 AM   #906
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
I think you might be something of a troll for MOS, is what I think. Anything and everything you can find to complain, poke at, or critique, you will.

Henry and Amy seem fine and quite relaxed in interviews. I often see their bodies turn towards each other, which usually signals a particular level of comfort that is best described as friendly. They look at each other when they talk, and I've even sen them interrupt each other and giggle over something together.

Do I think they're best buds, and go out to eat on the weekends? Nope. But do I think they get along fin, and enjoy each others company enough to be comfortable with each other? Yes.

If you had a friend as good looking as Henry, wouldn't you tease him incessantly about how ridiculously good-looking he is? I surely would.
I think you might be something of a rabid foaming at mouth hysterical fanboy for MOS, is what I think. Anything and everything you can find to praise, obsess over, worship, you will.

Discussing Cavill's personality is criticizing MOS? You sure might have pulled a fast one there.

I am just trying to put into context what all the people who have worked with him have said, that he doesn't mix much and in Snyder's word "is as serious as a heart attack."

Old 09-23-2013, 05:37 AM   #907
Project862006
Banned User

did you major in armchair psychology lol

yes he is serious but the man isn't sean penn

Old 09-23-2013, 05:38 AM   #908
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoQuaker View Post
Wasn't DiCaprio in great shape in Blood Diamond? He looked comparable to Djimon Hounsou who is known for being in shape from Gladiator and I think he was an underwear model at one point. They never showed Leo shirtless but you could see he was built. He had to be because he got physical with Djimon in some parts of the film.
He looked in shape but nowhere comparable to Hounsou. He's been in shape, but of a normal gym going average joe, nothing extra-ordinary. Its proly a role thing like I said, he's never picked or got roles which required a big physical transformation.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:03 AM   #909
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
I thought most people in the UK sent their kids to private schools, though? I could be wrong - you actually live there.

But I remember being surprised to read that private schools are not nearly as rare for kids to attend in the UK than it is in the US. When you send your kid to a private school in the US, that means you're really f***ing stinking rich. That doesn't HAVE to be the case in the UK, I've read.

There are quite a number of very good "public" (ie, state-funded) schools in the US. Although that usually means you have to buy a very expensive house in the area for your kid to go there, but there are a lot of more of those highly-ranked state-funded schools than private schools.

But besides that, one doesn't have to be posh to avoid dirty banter with the guys on set. It could just not be his thing, personally.
That would be inaccurate. Most parents send their children to state schools as the general rule. Many do send their children to private schools but that isn't the overwhelming majority that you could say "most people".

As I mentioned in a previous post, many parents send their children to private schools via bursaries or assisted places, but many also pay outright. You get a range of people's wealth. In general, if someone has the financial means and sees it is of actual benefit, then they would almost certainly send their children to private schools. They don't have to specifically be from upper or upper-middle class backgrounds to do so.

Public schools in the UK are private schools. It's a bit confusing for non Brits. "Public" in the UK doesn't mean state-funded. A state-funded school is simply called a state school.

I don't remember who suggested Cavill was working class, but that would also be incorrect. He would probably be considered middle to upper-middle class both from his background (his father was a stockbroker) and his education.

In any event, "class" kind of jumps around from each generation. If say, for argument's sake, Henry's father Colin is from a working class background (let's say he is a builder or plumber) and is a typical cockney guy. Colin then, through hard work, acquires the financial means to send his children to a private or boarding school and decides to do so because he thinks it will afford them better opportunities than he had himself. So Henry spends all of his formative years in a private school and acquires all of the mannerisms, accent, education etc of other upper-middle class students and goes on towards a good job. In a sense, his class has changed at the end of it. So when it comes to Henry's son, he would now be born into a wealthier and higher-class family than Henry was.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:16 AM   #910
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
yes he is serious but the man isn't sean penn
Most certainly not in talent.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:17 AM   #911
Project862006
Banned User

he sure as hell is when it comes to portraying superman

the studio wanted him in the 90's

Old 09-23-2013, 09:08 PM   #912
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
I come from what I consider an upper middle-class family. My sister and I went to private universities and my parents could afford to pay for it, in full, for both of us. But my parents couldn't imagine shelling out a combined 8 more years of college tuition, for us to go to a private high school. That's how much a great private school costs out here - it's the same as paying for a private university. $30K a year. Most parents do not have $120K sitting around for their kid to go to high school. College is bad enough!

You may not be "family owns a yacht with its own crew" rich, but you're pretty up there. And it's okay to admit that! I have no idea what it's like to live paycheck to paycheck, or what it's like to go hungry, but I don't pretend I'm not privileged. I am extremely privileged, but I'm grateful for what I've been given and I don't intend to waste it.
Well, I just assumed you meant private schools in general; and there are quite a few different types (e.g., military academies, boarding schools, parochial schools), some of which are more affordable than others for obvious reasons. Scholarships can also help.

Old 09-24-2013, 01:19 PM   #913
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Henry Cavill's trainer Mark Twight posted this beautiful picture of Italy. He has accompanied Cavill to Italy as production of Man from U.N.C.L.E. has moved there.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:16 PM   #914
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

A picture of Cavill with Shaq.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:32 PM   #915
ЯɘvlveR
vondruke

steel and kal-el

Old 09-24-2013, 02:36 PM   #916
Rorschach2012
$

Hhahahahahha exactly what i was thinking. Steel is in the sequel omg!!!

Old 09-24-2013, 02:37 PM   #917
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

I found this previously unseen MOS picture of Cavill training. He looks sick.

We keep seeing so many set photos and even actual released production stills of the scene where he's wearing the wife beater and not a frame of it in the film. The scenes with him wearing the wife beater were very obviously filmed (I think in the film's timeline they take place on the oil rig) but were cut out.

We know the blu ray extra features and deleted scenes are not included so those scenes scene will not see the light of day.

Old 09-24-2013, 05:03 PM   #918
-Kal-Elle-
Side-Kick

Wow, awesome picture above! He looks awesome with a beard, should keep it in real life! At least a bit of stubble, none of this clean shaved nonsense...

I'm SO excited for Feb when filming begins - such a long time to wait. The pics from TMFU are getting me excited though, especially hearing how HC is already training and you can see he's looking broader too - can't wait for set pictures and maybe some of Ben A soon as well, will be wicked to see him get in shape...

And to throw in my opinion on the 'posh' debate - HC is definitely posh. You can hear it in the way he speaks, but also his family background is very posh, the top military positions and the public schools that charge 9,000 a TERM - yeah the guy is posh! Nothing wrong with that, he was my perfect Superman and I can't wait to see more from him.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:22 PM   #919
The Shield
It's really Happening!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumcat View Post

We keep seeing so many set photos and even actual released production stills of the scene where he's wearing the wife beater and not a frame of it in the film. The scenes with him wearing the wife beater were very obviously filmed (I think in the film's timeline they take place on the oil rig) but were cut out.

We know the blu ray extra features and deleted scenes are not included so those scenes scene will not see the light of day.
This is Awesome!

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. ~Ellen Glasgow

Old 09-24-2013, 06:30 PM   #920
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shield View Post
This is Awesome!
He's clapping his hands together to produce shockwaves in an effort to put out the fire. (I seriously want to see a scene like that in the sequel now.)

Old 09-24-2013, 09:08 PM   #921
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
He's clapping his hands together to produce shockwaves in an effort to put out the fire. (I seriously want to see a scene like that in the sequel now.)
maybe there's on the Blu ray as a deleted scene...

Old 09-24-2013, 10:19 PM   #922
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:

maybe this is a deleted scene that will come in the blu ray.. but who knows...

Last edited by John-An; 09-24-2013 at 11:00 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:56 PM   #923
Tempest
Life is a cookie

Quote:
I think you might be something of a rabid foaming at mouth hysterical fanboy for MOS, is what I think. Anything and everything you can find to praise, obsess over, worship, you will.
Fangirl. ;-) And just because I don't take part in the ritualistic daily slandering of the film doesn't mean I don't have my problems with it. I've even posted some of my complaints. I just think most people's problems are silly, overwrought, fannish nonsense.

Like you, and your incessant fussing over every little detail, and your amazing ability to put a negative spin on everything that has to do with MOS.

Quote:
Discussing Cavill's personality is criticizing MOS? You sure might have pulled a fast one there.
I said you pick on everything that has to do with MOS. Henry Cavill and Amy Adams are sort of major components of MOS. Hence my comment on the fact that you complain about everything having to do with MOS.

You make up **** to complain about.

Quote:
I am just trying to put into context what all the people who have worked with him have said, that he doesn't mix much and in Snyder's word "is as serious as a heart attack."
What is remarkable about you is that you manage to put a negative spin on pretty much every comment you have about MOS.

Either you are just a naturally negative person, or you like to complain about MOS. Or both.

Just adding context to your statements, that's all.

Anyway, Henry Cavill is hot. I will take one of him for Christmas, please.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:49 AM   #924
The Shield
It's really Happening!

Quote:
What? How did I miss this info? That's would have been a Great scene!

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. ~Ellen Glasgow

Old 09-25-2013, 07:18 AM   #925
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shield View Post
What? How did I miss this info? That's would have been a Great scene!
I wasn't being serious. It sure does look like that's what he's doing though.

Closed Thread