The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Wolverine

Old 07-27-2013, 01:13 AM   #1
GREEN =w= DAY
Side-Kick

Post Difference between the leaked script and the film

hey guys. awhile back when The Wolverine was in its early production stages and Aronofsky was still attached to direct, i remember people on here talking about the script of the movie and how awesome it was.

to those that have read the script and seen the movie, what was different and what stayed intact?

GREEN =w= DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:38 AM   #2
Project862006
Banned User

Default Re: Difference between the leaked script and the film

original script had no viper or jean grey and was much darker

considering many people did not like viper i am guessing original script was superior

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:00 AM   #3
Nolan-TDKR
Newbie First Class

Not true. Viper was in the original script but she wasn't a mutant

Nolan-TDKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:06 AM   #4
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Why don't people like the Vier? I loved her, I hated her so much I think the actress and script did their jobs right. It also helped that she was hot.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:15 AM   #5
Nolan-TDKR
Newbie First Class

I don't understand it either I thought she was a great femme fatale

Old 07-27-2013, 10:32 AM   #6
DocHoliday
The King of Cool

I liked Viper okay. I liked the film in general. Obviously I'll always wonder what Aronofsky would have done with the film. James Mangold is a capable director though, a good one even. Glad we got a film as good as what we got.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:44 AM   #7
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan-TDKR View Post
I don't understand it either I thought she was a great femme fatale
Definitely, I hated her so much which is what we were supposed to do. It a tally annoys me when people say she was just bad for bars sakes well look at the amount of sick bastards there are in real life. They're just bad because they can be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHoliday View Post
I liked Viper okay. I liked the film in general. Obviously I'll always wonder what Aronofsky would have done with the film. James Mangold is a capable director though, a good one even. Glad we got a film as good as what we got.
This is something we will probably always wonder. Even though the Wolverine was awesome. But just like X3 we'll always wonder what iSinger or Vaughan would have done with it. It's one if these things we'll always wonder about many films no matter if they turned out good or not.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:03 AM   #8
Nolan-TDKR
Newbie First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEN =w= DAY View Post
to those that have read the script and seen the movie, what was different and what stayed intact?
Chris McQuarrie's script was very much a straight adaption of the Claremont/Miller Japanese saga.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:05 AM   #9
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Chris McQuarrie's script was very much a straight adaption of the Claremont/Miller Japanese saga.
I've got that to read funnily enough, how close is the film to that book?

Old 07-27-2013, 11:59 AM   #10
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

Shingen was the main villain, Yashida and everything with Harada and the Silver Samurai weren't in the original mini series, it was primarily about Mariko and her arranged marriage and Logan trying to prove himself and defeat Shingen to save Mariko.

In terms of Aronfosky's script, well from what I can recall it had no X3 elements and was a prequel set firmly in the 80s, the word mutant is never mentioned. Logan served as a Yakuza enforcer, there wasn't anything with Yashida and his respect for the Wolverine. Mariko was an actress, Logan at one point wore his yellow and brown costume complete with mask. Silver Samurai was actually three Yashida brothers who wore electrofied armor against Logan. Yukio was like an antagonistic side love interest that tried to provoke Logan's more animalistic tendencies and they had a very powerful sexual relationship, like the Frank Miller version, at one point she had sex with another woman on a train while Logan watched, and towards the end when he decided to pick himself up from the gutter and try to gain honor he ended things with her and then killed her when he found out she was working with Singen. Shingen was more or less the primary antagonist who Logan defeats at the end. The film ends on a downer with Logan being imprisoned.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:02 PM   #11
GREEN =w= DAY
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon sexton View Post
Shingen was the main villain, Yashida and everything with Harada and the Silver Samurai weren't in the original mini series, it was primarily about Mariko and her arranged marriage and Logan trying to prove himself and defeat Shingen to save Mariko.

In terms of Aronfosky's script, well from what I can recall it had no X3 elements and was a prequel set firmly in the 80s, the word mutant is never mentioned. Logan served as a Yakuza enforcer, there wasn't anything with Yashida and his respect for the Wolverine. Mariko was an actress, Logan at one point wore his yellow and brown costume complete with mask. Silver Samurai was actually three Yashida brothers who wore electrofied armor against Logan. Yukio was like an antagonistic side love interest that tried to provoke Logan's more animalistic tendencies and they had a very powerful sexual relationship, like the Frank Miller version, at one point she had sex with another woman on a train while Logan watched, and towards the end when he decided to pick himself up from the gutter and try to gain honor he ended things with her and then killed her when he found out she was working with Singen. Shingen was more or less the primary antagonist who Logan defeats at the end. The film ends on a downer with Logan being imprisoned.
cool, thanks for that. sounds like if Mangold & Co. would have went along with that script we could have gotten an R rated film.

though i am for the most part happy with what we got at the end. loved that Yukio wasn't an antagonist and ended up being Logan's "bodyguard" which leaves it open for her to come back in future films.

i think the best part about the original script going from you posted is how they did Silver Samurai

GREEN =w= DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:18 PM   #12
Nolan-TDKR
Newbie First Class

In the original script Harada was the Silver Samurai

Old 07-27-2013, 02:47 PM   #13
Taka
Newbie First Class

Quote:

Quote:
In the original script Harada was the Silver Samurai
So did you guys read the script somehow or is this just based on rumors and what other people have said?

Taka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:02 PM   #14
Nell2ThaIzzay
Johnny Russo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
I've got that to read funnily enough, how close is the film to that book?
The film kept true in a lot of ways, and pulled some of it's scenes directly from the book, such as

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Logan hunting the bear, and then tracking the hunters who poisoned it

Or

the arrows that repelled and captured Logan

as well as

The final fight with Shingen

Some other scenes and plot points are also very heavily influenced by the book.

The bullet train sequence - there isn't a bullet train fight in the book but there is a brief scene with a bullet train which I'm sure influenced the scene in the movie.

There were a lot of details that were changed, of course, such as Yashida, the relationship between Harada and Mariko, Jean Grey, Silver Samurai, and a lot of other things.

But all in all, I felt that The Wolverine was the movie that is most like it's comic book counterpart.

Nell2ThaIzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:01 PM   #15
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
The film kept true in a lot of ways, and pulled some of it's scenes directly from the book, such as

Logan hunting the bear, and then tracking the hunters who poisoned it

Or

the arrows that repelled and captured Logan

as well as

The final fight with Shingen

Some other scenes and plot points are also very heavily influenced by the book.

The bullet train sequence - there isn't a bullet train fight in the book but there is a brief scene with a bullet train which I'm sure influenced the scene in the movie.

There were a lot of details that were changed, of course, such as Yashida, the relationship between Harada and Mariko, Jean Grey, Silver Samurai, and a lot of other things.

But all in all, I felt that The Wolverine was the movie that is most like it's comic book counterpart.
I've just read the first chapter, noticed the bear part right away

Quote:

And I don't really like the sound of that, think what we got seems better.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:12 PM   #16
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

The script was cool in "oh wow can't believe we'd get an R-rated superhero film!" but aside from that and one or two small things I liked, the film we got was better. It left Logan in a better place and gave him a measure of redemption and hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taka View Post
So did you guys read the script somehow or is this just based on rumors and what other people have said?
All the stuff I mentioned was from an early draft that Aronofsky wrote.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:50 PM   #17
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Why don't people like the Vier? I loved her, I hated her so much I think the actress and script did their jobs right. It also helped that she was hot.
She was fierce!!!

"Don't ever do that again" - X3
"They'll find us they'll always do" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:49 PM   #18
topdog1
Hero For Hire

After seeing the film, I'm convinced we dodged a huge bullet when Aronofsky dropped out. Mangold delivered a great film. I fear Aronofsky would've given us "Spockets touch my monkey" Wolverine.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:16 AM   #19
Paladin-Hoss
Side-Kick

Quote:
That...doesn't sound good...at all.

Paladin-Hoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:47 AM   #20
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin-Hoss View Post
That...doesn't sound good...at all.
That's whats I thought.

Tbh I hope Aronofsky stays away from CBMs his ideas are bizarre sometimes.

I really hope Mangokd returns to the X-Franchise or even the comic book genre,

Old 07-28-2013, 06:21 AM   #21
Double B
Side-Kick

Aronofsky is a great talent but I think any foray into 'comic book movie' territory should be a creation of his very own. I'm not sure his talent lies in adaptation of successful properties. His Batman script still fills me with horror.

Double B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:13 AM   #22
BlackFox
Name on the trophy?

If he were to do anything I think Punisher would be best suited to him.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:02 AM   #23
Taka
Newbie First Class

Quote:

All the stuff I mentioned was from an early draft that Aronofsky wrote.
I know, I'm asking if you read the script yourself or if this was what you were told. I've been looking for the original script, but I can't find it anywhere.

Taka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:05 AM   #24
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

What I read was basically a spoiler filled review that was posted online about a year ago. I'll try and dig it up if Danoyse says it's okay.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:48 AM   #25
Nolan-TDKR
Newbie First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taka View Post
I have read the original script from Christopher McQuarrie. A few details about the story:
  • The immortality theme is non existing
  • In the beginning of the story we find Logan in Canada, he is suffering from amnesia
  • Logan comes to Japan at the promise of getting information about his forgotten past
  • Wolverine is the only mutant in the story
  • Shingen is the main villain
  • Viper works for Shingen
  • Harada and Viper are lovers
  • Harada is the Silver Samurai (classic costume)
  • The Black Clan is central to the plot