The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 07-27-2013, 07:00 PM   #1
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Default Figuring out what could be changed

Hi, all. It's pretty much been confirmed that DoFP is going to change some things about the current continuity of the X-Franchise, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what Singer could realislically change that wouldn't have a profound domino effect on the events of the franchise, and thought I'd see what others thought. I'm looking for serious suggestions as to things that might be changed but that won't cut out large swatches of the current continuity, so, please, no flippant responses.

Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:18 PM   #2
Roguefan
Side-Kick

Default Re: Figuring out what could be changed

Maybe they stop someone from being born! Would that be considered murder?

Roguefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:25 PM   #3
Mr. Dent
Banned User

William Stryker is killed in the past which stops the events of X2 from occurring which stops the events of X3 from occurring which brings Jean and Cyclops back to life and resets everything from the original trilogy other than the first movie.

Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:50 PM   #4
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

The only thing that I want DOFP to change in the future is 20th Century Fox releasing more spin-off movies like the X-Force movie.

LOL!

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:06 PM   #5
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
William Stryker is killed in the past which stops the events of X2 from occurring which stops the events of X3 from occurring which brings Jean and Cyclops back to life and resets everything from the original trilogy other than the first movie.
This movie is supposed to continue the franchise and maintain at least some of the continuity, not gut it entirely and flush it down the toilet.

Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
Old 07-27-2013, 11:30 PM   #6
Mr. Dent
Banned User

It will continue the franchise by fixing it.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:36 PM   #7
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Quote:
My days of taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.

You don't perpetuate a pre-existing franchise using the same cast from previous films by erasing the events of those films from existence. Telling the audience that every single X-Men movie made thus far basically amounted to jack-squat is not 'fixing' things; it's ruining them.

Quote:
Old 07-27-2013, 11:38 PM   #8
smallville fan
Hero

I heard early on that this movie intends on fixing and retconning the terri-bad X-Men movies like X3. Any word on if Cyclops is coming back?

smallville fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:52 PM   #9
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Singer has said is that he'll be maintaining at least some of the existing continuity and that he's not IGNORING any of said continuity, and I can't think of any way of retconning anything about the franchise that doesn't contradict those statements and create a profound domino effect on what's already happened in the franchise thus far.

Quote:
Old 07-27-2013, 11:53 PM   #10
BMM
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville fan View Post
I heard early on that this movie intends on fixing and retconning the terri-bad X-Men movies like X3. Any word on if Cyclops is coming back?
Singer has said that he'll be able to "correct a few things," and Marsden was rumored to be a flight to Montreal along with Berry back in May. Personally, I think there is a good chance we could see the return of Cyclops and Jean Grey in some way, shape, or form. Perhaps at the end of the movie via an altered timeline? We'll see.

BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:10 AM   #11
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

Here's the direct quote from Singer at Comic Con regarding time travel affecting continuity

http://latino-review.com/2013/07/27/comic-con-2013-x-men-days-of-future-past
Quote:
Are you going to play with the continuity of the series with X-Men: Days of Future Past?

Bryan Singer: Of the universe as established in the movies? Yes, thereís some of that. Whenever you go back in time, and this is every bit a time-travel movie as it is an X-Men movie, there are those risks. So some of that is going to happen, and yet there are some things that, if you believe in certain physics and multi-verses, things like that, and you also have a respect for the continuity as we have. Again, Iím not the audience, Iím just the filmmaker, but I do believe in certain continuity that weíll maintain but some things weíll change. Itís the nature of time-travel. You go ahead and mess about and things happen. So thatís something that some of those rumors are probably some-what true.
Taking Singer's words in to consideration, I'm even more convinced that Cyclops (and Jean) will return.

Old 07-28-2013, 12:17 AM   #12
JackMercy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguefan View Post
Maybe they stop someone from being born! Would that be considered murder?
I don't know if this was meant as a joke or not, but...I laughed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
This movie is supposed to continue the franchise and maintain at least some of the continuity, not gut it entirely and flush it down the toilet.
So you're open to changes in aesthetic design, then?

Quote:
Ha! I laughed at this, too. Kudos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville fan View Post
/\/\/\ GA response as they get more and more of the drift of this film.

Quote:
Singer has said is that he'll be maintaining at least some of the existing continuity and that he's not IGNORING any of said continuity, and I can't think of any way of retconning anything about the franchise that doesn't contradict those statements and create a profound domino effect on what's already happened in the franchise thus far.
Of course he's not ignoring it all -- but that doesn't prevent him from telling a story he wants to tell...and ending the film the way he chooses, does it?

Do you like drapes? Considering you've said the exact same thing twice already in/for this thread, I'm getting the impression that you're really just interested in starting an argument that you win.

I sense a lot of anger from your posts. Do you need a cookie or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMM View Post
Singer has said that he'll be able to "correct a few things," and Marsden was rumored to be a flight to Montreal along with Berry back in May. Personally, I think there is a good chance we could see the return of Cyclops and Jean Grey in some way, shape, or form. Perhaps at the end of the movie via an altered timeline? We'll see.
Most cogent response yet.

My lips are sealed.

Bale: Are you doing that on purpose? You woke up this morning and went "right." (laughing)

Last edited by JackMercy; 07-28-2013 at 12:21 AM.
JackMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:19 AM   #13
JackMercy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duran Man View Post
Here's the direct quote from Singer at Comic Con regarding time travel affecting continuity

Taking Singer's words in to consideration, I'm even more convinced that Cyclops (and Jean) will return.
I've said it from the beginning -- one of the main points of this film is indeed to "correct some things." And, of course, the studio's need to regain some lost footing box office-wise by combining casts.

Bale: Are you doing that on purpose? You woke up this morning and went "right." (laughing)
JackMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:39 AM   #14
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
My days of taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.

You don't perpetuate a pre-existing franchise using the same cast from previous films by erasing the events of those films from existence. Telling the audience that every single X-Men movie made thus far basically amounted to jack-squat is not 'fixing' things; it's ruining them.
So I guess all the old Star Trek films are ruined?

You're taking it too serious. Wiping the slate clean is not a bad thing and may really be necessary at this point because they've really put themselves in a corner as to where to go to next. It will have been over 10 years since X2 came out when DOFP is released and nearly 10 years since TLS. People aren't going to be up in arms about them retconning those two movies especially if it means getting Cyclops and Jean back.

Quote:
Honoring the continuity during the film and creating an alternate timeline that let's them move forward at the end are two different things.

Last edited by Mr. Dent; 07-28-2013 at 12:47 AM.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:15 AM   #15
xDOFPx
Side-Kick

Quote:
So I guess all the old Star Trek films are ruined?

You're taking it too serious. Wiping the slate clean is not a bad thing and may really be necessary at this point because they've really put themselves in a corner as to where to go to next. It will have been over 10 years since X2 came out when DOFP is released and nearly 10 years since TLS. People aren't going to be up in arms about them retconning those two movies especially if it means getting Cyclops and Jean back.

Honoring the continuity during the film and creating an alternate timeline that let's them move forward at the end are two different things.
They're not wiping the slate clear. It's been said numerous times so why some fans continue to believe it's even a possibility is beyond me.
Quote:
"I do believe in certain continuity that we’ll maintain but some things we’ll change."
They're not going to completely wipe out X2, X3 and The Wolverine. Some parts will be but we don't even know at this point which parts. But we do know it won't be all. There will not be a completely alternate timeline at the end, there will be an altered one. Two completely different things.

xDOFPx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:04 AM   #16
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

The problem I have with this movie making drastic changes to the existing continuity is that I don't see the point. Why perpetuate the existing continuity if the problems with it are so significant that you're going to drastically alter the makeup of that continuity? It would be much simpler just to do a complete reboot.

As for 'starting an argument I can win', I'm trying to genuinely get other opinions on what Singer could realislically do that wouldn't drastically alter the continuity of the franchise and yet still match up with what he has said the film is going to do, and invalidating the events of multiple films so that they never actually happened doesn't qualify for me as being in any way realistic.

BTW, resurrecting Scott would be something that fits what Singer has said, but that's about the only thing I can think of that would.

Quote:
Old 07-28-2013, 10:19 AM   #17
Nightmare
"Kill Them All"

After seeing the Wolverine post credits scene, are they going back in time with the regular world and trask industries barely starting? I would have thought they would go back in time when the future is crippled with Sentinels controlling everything, a post apocalyptic future. Will we not get a chance to see that kind of future in the movie?

"After they killed me, I became something much, much worse. The stuff nightmares are made of. The children still feared me, and their fear gave me the power to invade their dreams, and that's when the fun REALLY began"
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:34 AM   #18
Double B
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
After seeing the Wolverine post credits scene, are they going back in time with the regular world and trask industries barely starting? I would have thought they would go back in time when the future is crippled with Sentinels controlling everything, a post apocalyptic future. Will we not get a chance to see that kind of future in the movie?
The film appears to have three different time periods:

2023 - Grey Wolverine, Sunspot, Warpath, Blink, Bishop(?) in a devastated, sentinel-run future. Seems like it's a short prologue at the start of the film.

2013/2014 - Xavier, Magneto, Wolverine and everyone else all send Wolverine's consciousness to 1973. This is as the sentinels are beginning to take over and the X-Men are struggling to fight them and stay alive.

1973 - where the majority of the film takes place with Wolverine's consciousness in his younger body.

Double B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:39 AM   #19
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
DOFP will show us a post apocalypic future withs entinles.The post credit scene
of the wolverine was simply the setup.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:39 AM   #20
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duran Man View Post

Thinking cameo at the end of the film?

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:01 AM   #21
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double B View Post
The film appears to have three different time periods:

2023 - Grey Wolverine, Sunspot, Warpath, Blink, Bishop(?) in a devastated, sentinel-run future. Seems like it's a short prologue at the start of the film.

2013/2014 - Xavier, Magneto, Wolverine and everyone else all send Wolverine's consciousness to 1973. This is as the sentinels are beginning to take over and the X-Men are struggling to fight them and stay alive.

1973 - where the majority of the film takes place with Wolverine's consciousness in his younger body.
Are those dates set in stone? Because it seems to me as if things don't match up based on the timeline as established by First Class.

Quote:
Old 07-28-2013, 11:09 AM   #22
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

well Bryan Singer has said future part takes place 10 years after last stand
but we still don't know the extext time the trilogy took place.

The set up In The Wolverine mid-credits scene takes place 2 years after main events of the wolverine but there Is no exact date given to the wolverine
events or how many years elasped beteen end of last stand and the wolverine

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
the 2023 date Is because of viral campagin and comic con footage.The point in film where they send wolverine's mind back to 1973 probally happens after Sentinles have been unleashed and things are going badly for mutants and world

Old 07-28-2013, 11:24 AM   #23
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Thinking cameo at the end of the film?
i'm thinking something a little more, gives cyclops and jean something more worth their time

Old 07-28-2013, 11:45 AM   #24
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
i'm thinking something a little more, gives cyclops and jean something more worth their time
Not sure we'll get more than that tbh this films already choc full

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:49 AM   #25
Double B
Side-Kick

Quote:
Are those dates set in stone? Because it seems to me as if things don't match up based on the timeline as established by First Class.
1973 is.

The 'present day' is based around 10 years after the OT, as clarified this week (as well as once again confirming the past is 10 years after FC): http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/n...ous-films.html

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
The Trask Industries logos at Comic-Con mentioned '50 years' celebrating the anniversary of Trask's Sentinel 1 production model, so if that first sentinel model was created in 1973 - as I'm sure it will be as it will allow our past characters to fight them - then 1973 + 50 = 2023.

Which, if true, means most of the film deals with time gaps of roughly one decade each.

10 years after FC.
10 years after the OT.
10 years after that, in a sentinel-run future.

Double B is offline   Reply With Quote