The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 08-02-2013, 10:22 PM   #151
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Default Re: Figuring out what could be changed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
The film itself doesn't state that the climax is meant to be the Three Mile Incident, nor am I aware of any supplemental materials stating this. Plus there are the claims that the Vietnam War portion of the Prologue is set in 1975.
Where is it claimed that the Vietnam portion is 1975?

The climax is explicitly stated in the movie to take place on Three Mile Island, so it is only natural to assume that in the movie universe, the battle there is the cause of the meltdown, unless they are trying to circumvent real world history. A possible alternative is that it takes place -after- the meltdown, which is why Stryker was able to set up shop there. Gambit makes a reference to people being afraid of checking it out there, afraid of being turned into a bunch of freaks. Is that in reference to the nature of being a nuclear reactor, or reference to the fact that the nuclear reactor melted down? I guess that's up to interpretation. If it is intended to take place after the meltdown, then we wouldn't have a specific time frame that the movie takes place, but I've always been under the impression that it was meant to be the meltdown.

Quote:
That's accurate regardless of when O:W's primary events are set, so no arguments there.

Quote:
IS Stryker going to be involved in the 1973 portions of DoFP?
I don't think it is confirmed what time frame he is, but considering that he died in X2, he obviously can't be in the present / future sequences, which leaves the 1973 time frame.

Nell2ThaIzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:35 PM   #152
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
Where is it claimed that the Vietnam portion is 1975?
Wikipedia primarily, but I've seen that date used other places as well... which is why I went ahead and listed the exact chronological placement of Origins: Wolverine as being something we need clarification on and that could possibly be clarified by DoFP.

Quote:
The climax is explicitly stated in the movie to take place on Three Mile Island, so it is only natural to assume that in the movie universe, the battle there is the cause of the meltdown, unless they are trying to circumvent real world history. A possible alternative is that it takes place -after- the meltdown, which is why Stryker was able to set up shop there. Gambit makes a reference to people being afraid of checking it out there, afraid of being turned into a bunch of freaks. Is that in reference to the nature of being a nuclear reactor, or reference to the fact that the nuclear reactor melted down? I guess that's up to interpretation. If it is intended to take place after the meltdown, then we wouldn't have a specific time frame that the movie takes place, but I've always been under the impression that it was meant to be the meltdown.
One would think that the movie would've addressed this, but it didn't, so I think it's very much open to interpretation, especially since, if the Vietnam War portion of the Prologue takes place in 1975, the bulk of the movie would take place two years after the meltdown on Three Mile Island happened in real life.

Quote:
I don't think it is confirmed what time frame he is, but considering that he died in X2, he obviously can't be in the present / future sequences, which leaves the 1973 time frame.
I wasn't even aware the character had been confirmed to be in the movie.

Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
Quote:
"There is no "supposed to be." It's an adaptation, a word that literally means change. Why bother making a new version if it doesn't offer a fresh approach?" - Christopher L. Bennett
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:39 PM   #153
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

I had been hearing some talk about the character, and somewhere I saw John Hellman I believe the name was listed as William Stryker.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:41 PM   #154
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Spoiler alert:

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2013/07/15...oles-revealed/

Old 08-02-2013, 10:46 PM   #155
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

^ Thanks for that link.

Back to this O:W discussion: I'm personally inclined to accept Wikipedia's placement of the Vietnam War portion as being in 1975, therefore placing the bulk of the movies events in 1981, mainly because it makes everything else line up really nicely, but others aren't as inclined to take Wikipedia's information as gospel, which is why, as noted, I conceded the point that DoFP could potentially cement the movie's chronological placement.

Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
Quote:
"There is no "supposed to be." It's an adaptation, a word that literally means change. Why bother making a new version if it doesn't offer a fresh approach?" - Christopher L. Bennett
Old 08-02-2013, 10:46 PM   #156
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
I had been hearing some talk about the character, and somewhere I saw John Hellman I believe the name was listed as William Stryker.
A website confirmed that along with Peter as Trask.

"I wanna be able to touch people, Logan. A hug, a handshake, a kiss." - X3
*smiles* *walks away* - X4
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:51 PM   #157
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
^ Thanks for that link.

Back to this O:W discussion: I'm personally inclined to accept Wikipedia's placement of the Vietnam War portion as being in 1975, therefore placing the bulk of the movies events in 1981, mainly because it makes everything else line up really nicely, but others aren't as inclined to take Wikipedia's information as gospel, which is why, as noted, I conceded the point that DoFP could potentially cement the movie's chronological placement.
Wikipedia isn't gospel, but upon this discussion with you, it's certainly possible.

It would certainly make sense if the climax took place after the meltdown, making that the reason that Stryker was able to set up shop there unknown to the public.

What is the possibility of someone being able to inhabit a reactor 2 years after a meltdown like that? I know it wasn't Chyrnoble or anything like that (and yes I know I horribly misspelled that lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
A website confirmed that along with Peter as Trask.
Thanks.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:56 PM   #158
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Stryker seemed to have set up his base of operations underground, but I don't know much about the layout of the Three Mile Island facility so he could have set up shop in the buildings themselves and my perception of the facilities being underground could be just that.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-02-2013, 10:58 PM   #159
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

I always felt it was just inside myself.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:05 PM   #160
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Re: your question about the inhabitability of the facilities in the aftermath of the incident - which, BTW, was only a partial meltdown - here's what the Wikipedia article on the accident has to say on the subject:
Quote:
The health effects of the 1979 Three Mile Island nuclear accident are widely, but not universally, agreed to be very low level. According to the official radiation release figures, average local radiation exposure was equivalent to a chest X-ray, and maximum local exposure equivalent to less than a year's background radiation. Local activism based on anecdotal reports of negative health effects led to scientific studies being commissioned. A variety of studies have been unable to conclude that the accident had substantial health effects, but a debate remains about some key data (such as the amount of radiation released, and where it went) and gaps in the literature
Quote:
In the aftermath of the accident, investigations focused on the amount of radiation released by the accident. In total approximately 2.5 million curies of radioactive gases, and approximately 15 curies of iodine-131 was released into the environment. According to the American Nuclear Society, using the official radiation emission figures, "The average radiation dose to people living within ten miles of the plant was eight millirem, and no more than 100 millirem to any single individual. Eight millirem is about equal to a chest X-ray, and 100 millirem is about a third of the average background level of radiation received by US residents in a year."

Based on these emission figures, early scientific publications, according to Mangano, on the health effects of the fallout estimated one or two additional cancer deaths in the 10 mi (16 km) area around TMI. Disease rates in areas further than 10 miles from the plant were never examined. Local activism in the 1980s, based on anecdotal reports of negative health effects, led to scientific studies being commissioned. A variety of epidemiology studies have concluded that the accident has had no observable long term health effects.

The Radiation and Public Health Project, an organization with little credibility amongst epidemiologists, cited calculations by its member Joseph Mangano—who has authored 19 medical journal articles and a book on Low Level Radiation and Immune Disease—that reported a spike in infant mortality in the downwind communities two years after the accident. Anecdotal evidence also records effects on the region's wildlife. For example, according to one anti-nuclear activist, Harvey Wasserman, the fallout caused "a plague of death and disease among the area's wild animals and farm livestock", including a sharp fall in the reproductive rate of the region's horses and cows, reflected in statistics from Pennsylvania's Department of Agriculture, though the Department denies a link with TMI.

Quote:
Quote: