The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 03:17 AM   #601
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Default Re: Amy Adams IS Lois Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szetsilya View Post
We are discussing the awards as a potential way of showing what a good journalist she is instead of telling the audience.
If I remember correctly the line went something like: "this is mean we are talking about I have a Pulitzer...." So what does that mean your editor has to print everything you write? I. Asking honestly; it's coming off like just an attempt to tell the audience this while not adding anything to the scene.
They didn't do enough research to show Lois be a good reporter. So, they... tell us that she is a good reporter. "I have a Pullitzer Prize !!!"

Old 09-04-2013, 03:19 AM   #602
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

At least they bothered to show the montage where she traces Clark back to Smallville.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:26 AM   #603
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
At least they bothered to show the montage where she traces Clark back to Smallville.
At least, but... that montage is 30 seconds long and actually relies on the viewer to fill in a lot of blanks.

Further, within the story, she took 3 weeks to trace Clark back to Smallville. Does that make her look smart, or make him look vulnerable?

Old 09-04-2013, 03:29 AM   #604
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

I usually don't mind about those things, it's a similar situation to a villain outsmarting Batman. Doesn't make the former or too smart, or the latter too inept.

The question that rises, of course, is that if it took Lois 3 weeks to trace Clark, a nobody, how long would it take an equally talented journalist to trace Superman, arguably the planet's most important individual? Destroying satellites won't cut it, in the long run.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:44 AM   #605
Andreth
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
They didn't do enough research to show Lois be a good reporter. So, they... tell us that she is a good reporter. "I have a Pullitzer Prize !!!"
Really? because the reason she's in the same place as the scout spaceship in the first place (when she meets "Joe") is because she's there for a story, in which she had to fool the military to get there, she climbs a mountain for her story, then she is seeing searching for Clark all over the world, she's at the Daily Planet reading her article to Perry, she sneaks her story to a blogger, and then she's working at the DP when Zod sends his message, so Lois being a reporter, and a very good one was something they DID show. All her scenes before being held hostage were about her career. I can't wait to see what they're gonna do with her in the sequel, assuming Batman doesn't take over it

"A human with me at the end, and human tears. 2000 years and I can still be surprised. In this I see God."
TRUEBLOOD
Old 09-04-2013, 12:03 PM   #606
Loki882
Side-Kick

Yes, MOS was the best showing that Lois has had as a reporter in ANY live action movie. She was able to track Clark all over the planet and back to his home town. And her Pulitzer winning article wasn't the petulant, bitter ramblings or a jilted Lover like it was in SR.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:05 PM   #607
KillerMcQueen
Mildly sociopathic

I imagine they wanted them to put a half hour montage of Lois reporting on random stuff along with people reading dozens of the stories she's written.
They showed her reporting, they told us that she has won awards, they don't need to do more.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:19 PM   #608
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Govt denies 'bargain basement' spectrum

Quote:
Communications Minister Amy Adams has defended setting a low reserve price for the country's ''digital dividend'' radio spectrum.

Bidders may need to pay only $198 million for the spectrum, which will be freed-up by the closure of analogue television broadcasts later this year.

An auction will be held at the end of October. The 18-year licences to the spectrum are expected to be bought by Vodafone, Telecom and 2degrees and used to support the rural roll-out of 4G mobile networks.

One analyst said the price was ''on the low side''.

In February, Britain's National Audit Office began investigating whether the British government had failed to maximise the proceeds from its digital dividend spectrum sale after it netted a ''disappointing'' [pounds] 2.3 (NZ$4.2b). The Australian government set a reserve of A$2.9b for its equivalent spectrum this year, although it only sold two-thirds at that price.

Adams acknowledged the New Zealand government's asking price was ''in the lower band'' internationally but denied it was in the ''bargain basement''.

She said there were countries that had sold their digital dividend spectrum for a lower price per megahertz, per capita, though she was not immediately able to identify them.

The price partly reflected the fact that New Zealand's topography and population density meant rolling out networks here was relatively expensive, she said.

Telecom applauded the announcement.

While it did not comment directly on the reserve price, it said it ''welcomed the Government's acknowledgement of the significant investment required by mobile network operators to build the 4G infrastructure required to utilise this spectrum''.

JP Morgan said the price was "far from being a revenue grab" and raised its valuation of Telecom shares by 3 cents.

2degrees intimated the reserve price was higher than it had hoped for, but IDC analyst Glen Saunders said it should allow 2degrees to bid for a 20MHz block of the spectrum - the minimum amount the Business, Innovation and Employment Ministry had said was desirable for a viable 4G network - and perhaps put its hand up for a one third (30MHz) share.

Adams said the Government had spent $157m clearing the radio spectrum band, which lies in the 700MHz band, in preparation for its release to telcos, for example by helping public broadcasters move into other bands.

That cost did not include the $30m the Government had earmarked for an ''ICT fund'' that has been offered to Maori in lieu of a slice of the radio spectrum and which could mean taxpayers may come out ahead by only $11m in direct financial terms from the spectrum reallocation.

Ad Feedback

Adams said indications were that by using the spectrum for 4G mobile networks, New Zealand could expect economic benefits of $2.4b over 20 years, however.

Three Maori claimants have lodged a claim with the Waitangi Tribunal for the spectrum. The tribunal has yet to announce whether it will grant them an urgent hearing, but Adams has indicated the Government will press ahead with the auction in October. Like previous communications ministers, she has maintained the spectrum is not ''taonga'' (treasure).

"In setting the reserve price, we have balanced generating a fair return on the sale of the spectrum rights with the significant investment required by mobile network operators to build the 4G network infrastructure,'' she said.

''The reserve price also takes into account the value to New Zealand of having 4G connectivity widely deployed.''
Mobile network operators will be obliged to upgrade their existing rural cell sites to 4G technology within five years and ''continue expanding cellular coverage'', Adams said.

Successful cellular bidders will be required to upgrade three-quarters of their existing rural 2G and 3G cellsites to 4G technology using the 700MHz spectrum within five years, up to a maximum of 300 cellsites.

Any bidder that acquires a third of the spectrum (30MHz) will be obliged to build at least five new cell sites each year, for five years.

Any bidder that acquired the maximum allocation of four-ninths (40MHz) of the spectrum must build 10 new cell sites each year for five years, Adams said.

"These requirements are designed to ensure that at least 90 per cent of New Zealanders have access to a 4G network and faster mobile broadband coverage within five years.''
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/poli...ement-spectrum

~SHH SIX~
Old 09-05-2013, 12:14 AM   #609
John Lambert
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szetsilya View Post
We are discussing the awards as a potential way of showing what a good journalist she is instead of telling the audience.
If I remember correctly the line went something like: "this is mean we are talking about I have a Pulitzer...." So what does that mean your editor has to print everything you write? I. Asking honestly; it's coming off like just an attempt to tell the audience this while not adding anything to the scene.
I wrote a long response to this that evidently took too long, since I lost my log-in while writing it. I will try to be a bit briefer this time.

What they should have done was have Perry give it right back to Lois.

Lois:This is me, I am a Pulitzer Prize winner.

Perry:Sure, I have 12 of those on staff, plus there was Ed Niemer our film critic, who got that award, but he died last week.

Lois:Well, I sort of have two Puliters.

Perry:No, not really. Just because I let you accept the one for breaking news reporting that we got for exposing Gov. Talbot as the criminal he was, does not mean you won it. You may have written the first story on Talbot, but it was a lot of different stories that made that award. Your broad-ranging coverage of things in Afghanistan was what got your the International Award, but we have won that 3 years in a row. You are not Goodson, the breaking news marvel that retired 2 years ago, who will probably keep the record as the last individual to win the breaking news award for years to come.

Lois:But Perry, you have to admit I am good.

Cut

The fun things is that Goodson would be based on Robert D. McFadden, a NYT reporter who at 51 in 1998 won the Spot News Pulitazer, the predecessor to the current Breaking News one, and is the last individual to win it. He was the first individual as opposed to newroom to win that award since 1986.

NYT reporters have won the International Reporting Award for the last 3 years and 4 of the last 6. The NYT last got the breaking news award in 2009 for their breaking of the story of Gov. Spitzer that lead to his resignation.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:17 AM   #610
John Lambert
Side-Kick

Quote:
At least, but... that montage is 30 seconds long and actually relies on the viewer to fill in a lot of blanks.

Further, within the story, she took 3 weeks to trace Clark back to Smallville. Does that make her look smart, or make him look vulnerable?
Wait, where do we get that it took Lois 3 weeks to trace Clark?

Old 09-05-2013, 12:25 AM   #611
John Lambert
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreth View Post
Really? because the reason she's in the same place as the scout spaceship in the first place (when she meets "Joe") is because she's there for a story, in which she had to fool the military to get there, she climbs a mountain for her story, then she is seeing searching for Clark all over the world, she's at the Daily Planet reading her article to Perry, she sneaks her story to a blogger, and then she's working at the DP when Zod sends his message, so Lois being a reporter, and a very good one was something they DID show. All her scenes before being held hostage were about her career. I can't wait to see what they're gonna do with her in the sequel, assuming Batman doesn't take over it
Although, they only really gave us a taste of one of her articles. Hopefully they can show her doing more investigations and give us more of her articles in the sequel.

I am not sure showing us that she has awards would help much. In L&C they made it a key plot point that she had 3 Kerths. It is never entirely clear how exactly Kerths differ from Pulitzers, other than since Thomas Friedman is the only person to have won that many Pulitzers for reporting (and even one of those was more for commentary) and he did it over 20 years instead of 3, either L&C Lois is the best journalists ever or the Kerth has a significantly lower number of eligible winners than the Pulitzer, since she still wants a Pulitzer, I would guess the later. She also at one point says she won't marry till she has a Pulitzer, but changes her mind at some point. However in L&C they never really zoom in enough on the awards, but if you freeze-frame the show in one or two places you can almost read what they are for.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:27 AM   #612
John Lambert
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
Yes, MOS was the best showing that Lois has had as a reporter in ANY live action movie. She was able to track Clark all over the planet and back to his home town. And her Pulitzer winning article wasn't the petulant, bitter ramblings or a jilted Lover like it was in SR.
I think the makers of SR confused the Pulitzer committee for the Nobel Peace Prize committee, which does seem to have specialized in granting people awards for about as silly reasons as giving Lois a Pulitzer for just one editorial that really does not even call for policy change, when normally such an award is given for a series of editorials that call for concrete changes in policy.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:20 PM   #613
Andreth
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lambert View Post
Yeah, I don't remember that.

This is a cute pic.

"A human with me at the end, and human tears. 2000 years and I can still be surprised. In this I see God."
TRUEBLOOD
Old 09-05-2013, 11:21 PM   #614
John-An
Gal/Margot World's Finest

Quote:
Yeah, I don't remember that.

This is a cute pic.

gorgeous

Old 09-06-2013, 02:45 AM   #615
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lambert View Post
In the movie, Perry tells Lois that he is suspending her for three weeks due to her selling the story to the blogger. We then see her track down Clark by finding the "patterns that emerge", she talks to Clark at his father's grave. We then see her back at work.

So, it took Lois 3 weeks or less to find Clark.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:04 AM   #616
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
She is the most beautiful A-lister in Hollywood.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:11 AM   #617
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:
In the movie, Perry tells Lois that he is suspending her for three weeks due to her selling the story to the blogger. We then see her track down Clark by finding the "patterns that emerge", she talks to Clark at his father's grave. We then see her back at work.

She was suspended AFTER she found Clark if I remember correctly. She tracked him to Smallville, he told her about Jonathan's death, and she decided not to print the story out of respect for Clark's wishes.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:13 PM   #618
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

No, she found Clark after being suspended. She was suspended for selling the article to a blogger. She said part of the reason she sold the article was so that the mystery man would know she's after him. She then went to look for him during the suspension.

When she met Clark, she decided not to print the story. She came back to work empty handed.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:32 PM   #619
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Quote:
She is the most beautiful A-lister in Hollywood.
One of.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - Alice 2
Old 09-06-2013, 09:48 PM   #620
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

I'll take her over Anne. Sorry.

~SHH SIX~
Old 09-06-2013, 10:39 PM   #621
KillerMcQueen
Mildly sociopathic

Quote:
No, she found Clark after being suspended. She was suspended for selling the article to a blogger. She said part of the reason she sold the article was so that the mystery man would know she's after him. She then went to look for him during the suspension.

When she met Clark, she decided not to print the story. She came back to work empty handed.
actually no, you're wrong, the order of events is this: perry rejects story, lois takes story to blogger, Supes first flight, Lois finding clark montage, Clark's story about his father's death, Lois returns to Perry who's mad at her for giving the story to a blogger, then she says if it makes any difference I'm dropping the story, then Perry suspends her. That IS the order of events. however, I really don't think it's a big deal, the movie did enough to portray her as a good reporter, and using the likes of L&C against MOS is unfair, one's a movie, with 2 hours to tell its story, the other is a 4 season tv show with countless hours of character development time.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:24 PM   #622
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

No dude, first she was suspended for three weeks by Perry for selling the story to the blogger, then she found Clark, then she went back to work.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:50 PM   #623
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

Quote:
No dude, first she was suspended for three weeks by Perry for selling the story to the blogger, then she found Clark, then she went back to work.
Why did she find Clark after she got suspended?.....doesn't make sense.....she had already found Clark and she told Perry that she dropped the story and Perry after she had told him she's dropping it, told her lets make it 3 weeks since she was soo wiling to agree with him....lol, you need to see the movie again.....

Old 09-07-2013, 12:24 AM   #624
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Order of events:

1) Lois encounters Clark in the arctic.
2) Ship and Clark go away, military says it was a submarine.
3) Perry won't publish article on aliens, so Lois sells it to a blogger.
4) Perry suspends Lois for 3 weeks.
5) Lois says that part of the reason she put out the article was so that her mystery man would know that she's after him.
6) During her three weeks, she looks for Clark, she finds the patterns, meets Pete Ross, and I think also meets Martha Kent.
7) Lois and Clark talk at the cemetery, she has found out that he is a good person over the time frame (the past three weeks), and thus decides not to push with the story.
8) She goes back to work, Perry doesn't believe her that she's just dropping it.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:41 AM   #625
John Lambert
Side-Kick

Quote:

Except Perry tells Lois he is suspending her for 3 weeks after the scene at the cemetery. Lois has just told him the story died. She has killed the story as she decided to do after talking to Clark.

So what did Lois do for those 3 weeks. Hmm, maybe Lois and Clark kissing later on was not rushing into anything. Maybe Lois only made the line about first kisses because she wants to throw off any people close enough to hear from realizing that she has actually kissed this man several times before.

Closed Thread