The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Old 12-02-2013, 02:22 PM   #26
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Default Re: The Jimmy Olsen Casting Thread

Jenny's the girl who was Lois' coworker at the DP.

Due to some stuff that showed her last name being Olsen it was speculated that she was Jimmy with a sex change, Jimmy's sister/relative, or Jimmy's wife. Her name ended up not being Olsen.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:24 PM   #27
Airwings
Waves of air

Lerman as Jimmy would be such waste of potential as he suits to play Dick.

Airwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:35 PM   #28
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho01 View Post
Jenny's the girl who was Lois' coworker at the DP.

Due to some stuff that showed her last name being Olsen it was speculated that she was Jimmy with a sex change, Jimmy's sister/relative, or Jimmy's wife. Her name ended up not being Olsen.
Oohhh...the girl with the awesome my life is about to end scream. Thank you! I remember her now.

Jenny aside, we need Jimmy Olsen. I just don't see him as a traditional Jimmy in this universe.

I think the reason I recommended Chon is I kind think Jimmy should be tenacious and fearless, which means in my mind I was thinking about Glen from TWD.

Anyhoo, with all talk about Supes disguise I think Jimmy's role could be pivotal. He maybe trying to get a picture of Supes and finally gets one.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
charl_huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #29
The Valeyard
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
Jenny? Who is this person?

I think you need Jimmy in this film because he's a core Superman character and Supes is at the DP. He's not superfluous. He could serve a purpose or just be for comic relief. Whatever reason he is used I think he should be non-white. The fact they did it with Perry is irrelevant. I just think as a character for this universe he shouldn't be white.

But why?

What's so wrong about Jimmy being Caucasian?

The Valeyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #30
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
Oohhh...the girl with the awesome my life is about to end scream. Thank you! I remember her now.

Jenny aside, we need Jimmy Olsen. I just don't see him as a traditional Jimmy in this universe.

I think the reason I recommended Chon is I kind think Jimmy should be tenacious and fearless, which means in my mind I was thinking about Glen from TWD.

Anyhoo, with all talk about Supes disguise I think Jimmy's role could be pivotal. He maybe trying to get a picture of Supes and finally gets one.
Hahaha. Yeah, her.

I just have this feeling they're going to have someone that looks about Clark's age, so I don't see someone like Chon who plays high school to college aged characters getting the role.

I'm pretty sure it's common for Jimmy to be the first one to get a good picture of Superman.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

Old 12-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #31
The Valeyard
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwings View Post
Lerman as Jimmy would be such waste of potential as he suits to play Dick.

He would have been the ideal Grayson for Bale's Batman.

Another missed opportunity by WB.

Old 12-02-2013, 03:01 PM   #32
Airwings
Waves of air

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Valeyard View Post

Exactly times 1000!!!
This pic: "Bruce Wayne and Dick Grayson traveled back back in time during the events of DKR".
Few other actors in history are as much Robin material as Lerman is/was. I haven't seen something similar since 1998/99.

Last edited by Airwings; 12-02-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Airwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:04 PM   #33
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
But why? What's so wrong about Jimmy being Caucasian?
Nothing wrong with it. I just don't think he should be because this is a much more diverse world. It just makes sense to have his character be diverse. I guess you can say it's diversity for diversity's sake, but we do live in a diverse world so I think it's a more modern take.
Quote:
Hahaha. Yeah, her.

I just have this feeling they're going to have someone that looks about Clark's age, so I don't see someone like Chon who plays high school to college aged characters getting the role.

I'm pretty sure it's common for Jimmy to be the first one to get a good picture of Superman.
Hmmm...and older Jimmy that's Clark's age...meh. I'm not seeing it. I don't think he should be high school young, but definitely in his twenties. I think that's just my view of him. Chon is in real life 32 years old. He just has that good Asian skin. I'm sure he can play older.

I'd like Jimmy being the first one who gets a pic or video of Supes to be kept if that's possible. Considering photos or video of him might be a key point then there should definitely be a Jimmy Olsen in the film.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.

Last edited by charl_huntress; 12-02-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:08 PM   #34
Rorschach2012
$

Quote:
Nothing wrong with it. I just don't think he should be because this is a much more diverse world. It just makes sense to have his character be diverse. I guess you can say it's diversity for diversity's sake, but we do live in a diverse world so I think it's a more modern take.

Well this is a dumb post.

I'm pretty sure comic book movies are the only movies where people are this conscious of race.

People are taking "diversity" too far. Yes, it's good to have diversity on film, but it's not a negative thing for another white character to be involved. Wtf

Rorschach2012 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:08 PM   #35
The Valeyard
Banned User

True. I wouldn't have minded Zoe Saldana as Lois Lane perhaps.

Actually I may have preferred it.

I'm fine with racebending as long as it makes sense.

Like it wouldn't make sense to have a Black Bruce Wayne since the Wayne family is 'old money.'

Old 12-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #36
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post

I'm pretty sure comic book movies are the only movies where people are this conscious of race.

People are taking "diversity" too far. Yes, it's good to have diversity on film, but it's not a negative thing for another white character to be involved. Wtf
Why because I think the world is diverse or I want a movie that represents that? I understand the complaints from folks that hate these cries, but the reality is A LOT of comics were created when things were just Lilly white. They are not representative of the world we live in today and it's a good things to make that change when appropriate. It doesn't mean it should always be made in every case, but in this case with Jimmy I think it would be a good change to make.

Old 12-02-2013, 03:24 PM   #37
ЯɘvlveR
doilooklikeiknowwhatajpeg

dan fogler. he's 37 but i don't care. he's f'in hilarious.

ЯɘvlveR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:28 PM   #38
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
Hmmm...and older Jimmy that's Clark's age...meh. I'm not seeing it. I don't think he should be high school young, but definitely in his twenties. I think that's just my view of him. Chon is in real life 32 years old. He just has that good Asian skin. I'm sure he can play older.

I'd like Jimmy being the first one who gets a pic or video of Supes to be kept if that's possible. Considering photos or video of him might be a key point then there should definitely be a Jimmy Olsen in the film.
Well, he was pretty much Clark's age in Superman Returns, Smallville (though it wasn't the real Jimmy), and I think the current comics.

Doesn't really matter how old Chon is. Just how he looks. All I've seen him in were roles that high school or college aged. I mean, his latest major role was about some kid who just turned 21. So, even if they were to cast an Asian actor for the role, I'd imagine it'd be someone that looks older or at least about the same age as the actress that played Jenny.

Old 12-02-2013, 03:28 PM   #39
MrsKent26
Whatever.

I don't care that much who plays Jimmy. I just want there to be a Jimmy in the movie. I don't see why they would want to exclude him from all Supes movies.

MrsKent26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:34 PM   #40
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Well, he was pretty much Clark's age in Superman Returns, Smallville (though it wasn't the real Jimmy), and I think the current comics.

Doesn't really matter how old Chon is. Just how he looks. All I've seen him in were roles that high school or college aged. I mean, his latest major role was about some kid who just turned 21. So, even if they were to cast an Asian actor for the role, I'd imagine it'd be someone that looks older or at least about the same age as the actress that played Jenny.
I'm not really current with 52. I probably won't ever be until the Lois Lane situation is resolved.

I like Chon's energy on film. He's bubbly and excited. He just has a vibe that I think would work well for Jimmy. He does look young, but I think that has some to do with way he is styled. He could be dressed up a bit to look a bit older.

Anyhoo, I just want someone with his energy and I think it would be good if they changed it up with Jimmy. I don't see anything wrong with that and would applaud Synder if he went there.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #41
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Meh...not really feeling Topher.

In my mind Jimmy should look something like this.

an Asian nerd?
a very good suggestion. since China is the 2nd largest market nowadays.

clark and jimmy becoming good friends because both are adoptees.

The superman returns comics strips were created during the production of the movie in 2005 we were longing a superman movie too long and we were basically going crazy of every bit of the leaked news and rumours. let's the fun returns!

Last edited by sf2; 12-02-2013 at 10:11 PM.
sf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:14 AM   #42
Da-Scribe
Side-Kick

Quote:

He never said there was anything wrong with having a white actor. And why do you have diversity in quotes? You should go back and actually try processing what was being said.

Hard to grasp how someone thinks that having a comic book film be slightly more representative of the real world (something that same film was aiming to do anyway) is somehow "taking diversity too far."

Da-Scribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:30 AM   #43
NosfeRomas
Side-Kick

Quote:

Stop saying that everything is a missed oportunity. Their job was to make Batman films and not to satisfy every fanboy's desires for fan service.

Some of them fell into Hell
NosfeRomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:53 AM   #44
Rorschach2012
$

Quote:
Originally Posted by NosfeRomas View Post
Stop saying that everything is a missed oportunity. Their job was to make Batman films and not to satisfy every fanboy's desires for fan service.
The real missed opportunity was making JGL's character John Blake and not Dick Grayson

Rorschach2012 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:55 PM   #45
NosfeRomas
Side-Kick

Quote:
The real missed opportunity was making JGL's character John Blake and not Dick Grayson
If "fans" (and i'm using the term very loosely) didn't like John Blake as a character or didn't get his name reveal then if he was Dick Grayson they would be hating, big time !! This isn't some Mandarin thing were you can turn your brain off, laugh at the jokes because the character doesn't matter. Changing Dick Grayson so much with 0 payoff just so we can dream and speculate about a Nightwing movie that will never happen is just bad ! Bad screenwriting, very disrepsectful to the character and to the movies for trying to do something different. A spinoff was NEVER a plan for Nolan. John Blake is there as a reference to what Robin as a character represents (every Robin, not just Dick) and that alone.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:01 PM   #46
The Valeyard
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NosfeRomas View Post
Less to do with fan service.

More to do with using Nolan's films as the backdrop for a bigger DCU on film.

Like I said, they retired, retconned and rebooted their #1 franchise at it's prime. That was a dumb move, and a missed opportunity indeed.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:06 PM   #47
ЯɘvlveR
doilooklikeiknowwhatajpeg

Quote:

Like I said, they retired, retconned and rebooted their #1 franchise at it's prime. That was a dumb move, and a missed opportunity indeed.
that's how nolan wanted it.

ЯɘvlveR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:19 PM   #48
NosfeRomas
Side-Kick

Quote:

They were never going to be part of a bigger DCU ! That was not the plan. The geniuses behind the movie never intended to make the film a part of a bigger universe. Man of Steel was conceived as an idea after The Dark Knight Rises had wrapped up its production. Also there is something called art and believe it or not cinema except buisness is art and some people are not willing to change their "art" for money which is essentially what you are asking for.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:28 PM   #49
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
The fact they did this actually showed me WB doesn't always eff it up. Retiring that Batman was the perfect thing to do because the actor, director and pretty much everyone else involved had told their story. I am glad they didn't try to force the issue and instead brought their golden child Nolan in on MOS. I doubted this would be a good decision, and I'm still not totally convinced, but it certainly wasn't a bad idea...that is for sure.

Anyhoo...back on Olsen. The more I look at Chon, the more I hope we get a different kind of Jimmy. We definitely need more news and information soon though...lol.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:33 PM   #50
NosfeRomas
Side-Kick

I don't know about Jimmy but the more i look at him the more i see L from Death Note.