The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Avengers: Age Of Ultron

Old 07-30-2014, 05:37 PM   #251
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Default Re: Ultron! We Would Have Words With Thee! Official Thor/Chris Hemworth Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVision View Post
One thing I was wondering was how infamous THANOS is to the Asgardians. Like do they know who he and Ronan are already? I suppose they do if The Collector is someone theyd goto. How would you compare THANOS to an infamous person on Earth? Could he be considered the Al Capone of MCU villains? or someone worse?
Well seeing as how they're supposedly saving thanos for the third avengers film, which will be the last to feature rdj/ch/ce as the big three, I'm assuming that he'll be portrayed as THE BIG BAD of the mcu. Personally, I don't think the asgardians even know who thanos is.

herolee10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:47 PM   #252
cph9fa
Side-Kick

Default Re: Ultron! We Would Have Words With Thee! Official Thor/Chris Hemworth Thread

Quote:
One thing I was wondering was how infamous THANOS is to the Asgardians. Like do they know who he and Ronan are already? I suppose they do if The Collector is someone theyd goto.
FWIW, on Agents of SHIELD, Sif was aware of the Kree, as well as many other blue alien races.

Quote:
How would you compare THANOS to an infamous person on Earth? Could he be considered the Al Capone of MCU villains? or someone worse?
Imagine someone on Earth who wants to blow up half the planet to impress his girlfriend. That's Thanos (only on a cosmic scale, of course). So... I'm going to have to go with worse than Al Capone.

Last edited by cph9fa; 07-30-2014 at 05:52 PM.
cph9fa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:14 PM   #253
TheVision
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

I know what youre saying but I was thinking that to the super beings/aliens THANOS may just come off like a cosmic thug with a huge ego. More like an intergalactic gangster than some really important character. I guess he'd be closer to a dictator or terrorist though.

TheVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:23 PM   #254
Dr. Thanos
Your Family Doctor

Quote:
I know what youre saying but I was thinking that to the super beings/aliens THANOS may just come off like a cosmic thug with a huge ego. More like an intergalactic gangster than some really important character. I guess he'd be closer to a dictator or terrorist though.
At this point we don't know for sure if Thanos has done any big things in the MCU, like stealing cosmic cubes or whatever, so it's hard to say. He's at least notable enough for the Nova Corps to know about him and refer to him as the Mad Titan.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:47 PM   #255
seahammer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
I could literally spend an hour typing up a thesis paper on the issues that I had with tdw.lol The only reasons why the film didn't fall apart completely was because it was being held onto by the great performances that chris and tom gave respectively, especially chris who really didn't have much material to work with.

As others have said already, thor has so many interesting characters of his own to choose from that it's a complete mystery as to why they wasted such a great golden opportunity and decided to give more time to the likes of selvig and company.

We should have seen thor traveling the nine realms on this grand adventure, introducing us to its inhabitants. Heck, I find it easier to watch the first thor film more often since everyone in it gives off better performances and thor actually feels like the main character who has a compelling arc.

If there's any avenger who deserves to have a good arc in this film, it's definitely thor since the character was robbed of that chance in his own film.

I really hope that marvel's next attempt at making a solo thor film, which will most likely be chris' s last solo film, will have a huge leap and difference in quality when compared to its predecessor like how dofp was MUCH better than x3
Great post. I agree with almost every word.

Read my Thor 3 plot pitch

Read my Tales of Asgard mini-series pitch
seahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:31 PM   #256
EternalMaster
Side-Kick

Just a hope for a scene I would like to see in the film:

Thor and Hulk face off against Ultron while the rest of the Avengers are busy handling the drones (or some other part of a plan to save the day). Assuming Ultron gets a super durable body at some point (maybe vibranium), the fight would give Thor and Hulk a cool opportunity to REALLY unload their power against a villain who can take it.

EternalMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:07 AM   #257
hoy-small-fry
It's a dance-off bro!

Quote:
Some people call him a terrorist. Thanos thinks of himself more as a teacher

Coulson: "Sir?"
Fury: "You don't have to call me sir, Coulson. Look at me. I'm dressed like I live under a bridge."
hoy-small-fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:22 AM   #258
TheVision

Bloody ell! Imagine how hilarious it would be if Trevor Slattery met THANOS
I just realized theres a similarity between The Mandarin/Trevor and:

Last edited by TheVision; 07-31-2014 at 07:30 AM.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:00 PM   #259
CrypticOne
HiiiPoWeR

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Thor knows who Thanos is. Remember back in A1, Thor asks Loki, "Where did you get this power?!" Like Thor kinda knew. Or at least, that's what I got from it.

Old 08-02-2014, 10:32 AM   #260
DaddlerTheDalek
Starship Captain

Quote:
Bloody ell! Imagine how hilarious it would be if Trevor Slattery met THANOS
I just realized theres a similarity between The Mandarin/Trevor and:
That would be the funniest thing ever!

DaddlerTheDalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 04:01 PM   #261
04nbod
I need to debrief you

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoy-small-fry View Post
I think we can all agree that Jane should go
I completely disagree.

Besides, both Chris Hemsworth and Chris O Dowd have said Latino Review's Jane spoiler is nonsense. Hemsworth seemed surprised by the question at comic con and his answer was basically 'of course not' he's with someone at the beginning of the movie and he further clarified that he is still with someone at the end of the movie. He didn't evade the question at all. Chris O Dowd said he would be amazed if it were true. So maybe LR got a first draft because Marvel realised it made no sense with the ending of the last Thor movie.

Last edited by 04nbod; 08-02-2014 at 04:08 PM.
04nbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 04:18 PM   #262
Drizzle
Assemble Again

I'm sick of Jane at this point. Maybe if Natalie Portman didn't look completely bored in "The Dark World" then I'd change my mind. Let the Thor/Sif train leave the station already.

Old 08-02-2014, 05:04 PM   #263
Saturius
Side-Kick

Some of you all are too impatient. Jane gets with Thor in the early comics. Then they break up and he gets with Sif. I'm sure that's gonna happen in the movieverse. Don't know why some of you are so eager to throw Thor into another romance either. I thought most comic fans hated it when these movies shoehorn in love stories to draw in female audiences or whatever. I'd rather they focus on other things myself.

Anyway, I don't think Portman looked bored in TDW persay, it's just her character was horrifically mishandled. She should not have been in love with Thor as that goes against the everything in the first film and the opinion of the director of that film. Also, she literally spends the entire middle half of the movie fainting or falling asleep. It was just awful. I actually feel bad for Portman that they didn't do better by the character. And while I'm not a big fan of romances in most of these superhero films, I do think that if you are going to do them, you need to do them right. TDW half-assed the romance aspect and if they weren't even going to try to develop it, they should've just scraped it altogether.

It's too bad Branagh couldn't come back. I don't think the dynamic between Thor and Jane would've been such a mess as presented in TDW if he was trying to steer it. Oh well.

Saturius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 05:08 PM   #264
TheVision

Man theres nothing worse than actors phoning their performances in. I hate seeing them going through the motions but not caring. Pisses me off just as a movie fan.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:45 AM   #265
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturius View Post
It's too bad Branagh couldn't come back. I don't think the dynamic between Thor and Jane would've been such a mess as presented in TDW if he was trying to steer it. Oh well.
Agreed; I'm willing to bet money that if had the bigger budget that Alan had been working with for TDW, then the first Thor would have even looked better than it already did.

I honestly found myself more connected and invested in what the characters were going through in the first film than most of the stuff that they went through in the second film.

And when I think about it now, I think the fact that the only things people were mainly talking about when promoting TDW was about how the sets look more real and what Loki was doing should have been a "red alert" to how the film wasn't in the best of hands.

Also, I really don't care as to whether Thor and Jane end up together at the end of things but if you're going to break them up off-screen, then don't waste two films trying to force feed people into believing that they're some star-crossed lovers.

Frankly, at the end of the first film...I was actually interested in seeing on how Thor and Jane would reunite with each other..but their eventual "reunion" in TDW left a lot to be desired.

herolee10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:32 AM   #266
AndrewGilkison
Side-Kick

I scratch my head when I think about Thor: TDW. That seemed to be one of the most "made by committee" films Marvel Studios has produced.

AndrewGilkison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:08 AM   #267
The Endless
WE are Groot

Yea The Dark World was just a pointless film. The people behind it didn't really have a clear vision for what they wanted to do and say. It shows. Even with the Aether, it was just so vague in how it worked and what it did. It's hard to pin point what Infinity Gem it is.

Old 08-03-2014, 05:22 AM   #268
04nbod
I need to debrief you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturius View Post
Some of you all are too impatient. Jane gets with Thor in the early comics. Then they break up and he gets with Sif. I'm sure that's gonna happen in the movieverse. Don't know why some of you are so eager to throw Thor into another romance either. I thought most comic fans hated it when these movies shoehorn in love stories to draw in female audiences or whatever. I'd rather they focus on other things myself.

Anyway, I don't think Portman looked bored in TDW persay, it's just her character was horrifically mishandled. She should not have been in love with Thor as that goes against the everything in the first film and the opinion of the director of that film. Also, she literally spends the entire middle half of the movie fainting or falling asleep. It was just awful. I actually feel bad for Portman that they didn't do better by the character. And while I'm not a big fan of romances in most of these superhero films, I do think that if you are going to do them, you need to do them right. TDW half-assed the romance aspect and if they weren't even going to try to develop it, they should've just scraped it altogether.

And then things happen and he gets back with Jane, and then things happen and he gets back with Sif, and then he dates a series of new characters no one cares about, interspersed with dating Sif while often pining for Jane. (If you saw the last Thor issue Thor was mocking Jane's boyfriend, saying that she could take him to Asgard and he would be put to work in the stables. Jane is talking about moving on and all Thor can hear is 'Jane broke up with Walter'. He didn't like her last boyfriend Eric either)

Its not as cut and dry as people make it and in the format of the MCU you need Thor on earth for Avengers stories. Jane has always been the easiest way to get Thor on Earth. Plus, when written right, Jane is amazing. I love it when she is arguing with Odin while Sif and Balder lose their spines. Its fun in the Thor comics that Jane is wise and the All Father is emotional, set in his ways and intolerant. That was missing from Thor: TDW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewGilkison View Post
I scratch my head when I think about Thor: TDW. That seemed to be one of the most "made by committee" films Marvel Studios has produced.
Well they did get rid of the first director and the composer during production. Which suggests that is exactly what it was. But it was fun, there was nothing major wrong with it.

Last edited by 04nbod; 08-03-2014 at 05:27 AM.
04nbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:31 AM   #269
Bim
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04nbod View Post
I completely disagree.
I disagree also

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Bim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:53 AM   #270
TheVision

After seeing GOTG, Thanos does come off as a space Al Capone. Hes barely even recognized by the Nova Corps who say his name like they dont know him very well.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:44 AM   #271
flickchick85
Loose Seal

Quote:
After seeing GOTG, Thanos does come off as a space Al Capone. Hes barely even recognized by the Nova Corps who say his name like they dont know him very well.
I got the impression that the Nova Corps really only cover a relatively small region of space, and that Thanos currently operates in a sector well outside of their interests. He hasn't terrorized any of their citizens yet - as you said, it seems like they've vaguely heard of him (likely from criminals and the like who ventured out to where they didn't belong) but don't see him as a threat to their jurisdiction quite yet simply because none of them have ever seen or heard from him themselves. I'm guessing the Kree are much more familiar with his reputation, but they didn't seem to be into sharing much with the Nova Empire, lol.

01000110011011110111001000100000011001010111011001 10010101110010011110010010000001100001011101000110 11110110110100100000011000100110010101101100011011 11011011100110011101101001011011100110011100100000 01110100011011110010000001101101011001010010000001 10000101110011001000000110011101101111011011110110 01000010000001100010011001010110110001101111011011 10011001110111001100100000011101000110111100100000 01111001011011110111010100101110
flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 03:36 AM   #272
hoy-small-fry
It's a dance-off bro!

What's the deal with the Nova Corps anyway? Are they the space police or just over the sector Xandar is in?

Makes me wonder if they know of Asgard etc

Coulson: "Sir?"
Fury: "You don't have to call me sir, Coulson. Look at me. I'm dressed like I live under a bridge."
hoy-small-fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:38 AM   #273
BoredGuy
Killing Time

Yeah this Nova Corps seems pretty limited in scope
Doesn't even seem like there would be a "Nova", per se, in the MCU

BoredGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:41 AM   #274
TheVision

Its funny but Nova Corps/Xandar reminded me of a cooler/better equipped version of the San Angeles Police Dept in Demolition Man.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:46 AM   #275
BoredGuy
Killing Time

^totally

"enhance your calm, Rocket Raccoon"

BoredGuy is offline   Reply With Quote