The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2014, 10:23 PM   #1
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 0
Default Re: Batman V Superman Box Office Prediction

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Thread Manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 10:23 PM   #2
dalonewolf
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 474
Default Batman V Superman Box Office Prediction

I really think mos2 will make a billion in two weeks how's about everyone else
P.s don't come on this thread talking negative this thread is strictly for those who respect the dcu and it's ideals

dalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 10:23 PM   #3
Flint Marko
#BringSpideyHome
 
Flint Marko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Where the skies are so blue
Posts: 2,242
Default Re: Batman V Superman Box Office Prediction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
Most movies raise or fail in the shooting script. Not sure why this would be any different save for the idea that the director can win people over with his style.
...as well as cinematic universe hype/momentum
My main point was that Terio is pretty much the only person to keep this project on track, as Snyder is not a competent story teller and is focused mainly on the visuals. If Terio fails he has no one to keep him accountable so keeping the quality in check is completely on his shoulders, which is a heavy burden for someone with just one screenplay under their belt, even one as strong as Argo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderdevil View Post
The Last Stand made 130 Million in DVD sales
Origins made 117 Million in DVD sales
Spider-man 3 made 126 Million in DVD sales

Hell even Green Lantern made a respectable 47 Million
Fantastic point. People always cite the DVD sales as a sign that MoS was an undeniable success, but that sounds like such an also-ran argument if you have to point to how it performed on home media platforms once it was out of theaters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
I've heard some suggest that WB announcing that slate of films speaks of confidence towards BvS but I'm not entirely convinced because the studio had strong confidence towards MoS as well. The WB slate I feel is nowhere near as set in stone as what Marvel's is simply because of BvS, there nothing stopping WB from cutting their losses if things go pear shaped. The film won't fail financially, at worst it will be on par with MoS, but there may be damage done along the same lines as what the Amazing Spider Man series is going through. Keep this in mind, when BvS comes out both JL and WW will be filming already. The worst case scenario is if BvS is given another mixed response. It's bad enough you have BvS coming off MoS, it's another thing if it's WW and especially JL coming off two films with mixed receptions. If the films are divisive you're never going to reach that billion dollars because there's only so much good will an audience will give.
Realistically BvS will be a box office success, that much is undeniable. The problem here, which you sort of touch on, is that if the quality is inconsistent or lackluster then people's interest will eventually dwindle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
I think its what you said: people see what they want to see, and hype plays a uge role in that.

MOS was marketed as a cool, badass film showcasing the new 21st Century Superman, with Superman fans being hyped because MOS better reflected the 90's Superman they grew up with, as well as finally putting big Superman action sequences onscreen.

Meanwhile, ASM2 was the sequel to a movie that many folks deemed unnecessary, a film that didn't do enough to set itself apart from the previous film incarnation.
I must say, the marketing for MoS had me convinced. I think that might be the main reason why I was so disappointed after I saw it.
I went in thinking that it would be the movie to beat that summer, both critically and commercially, because of the astounding trailers and all of the pre-hype buzz. Nolan's named being heavily promoted also had me excited, as I figured he would have a hand in the production in some capacity, but boy was I wrong.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsWasRight View Post
Doom in the new F4 won't be accurate at all but I think he'll be far more developed and interesting character than the majority of Marvel Studios villains
Flint Marko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 10:43 PM   #4
The Batman
The Dark Knight
 
The Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Gotham City
Posts: 20,476
Default Re: Batman V Superman Box Office Prediction - Part 1

That's the thing: Everyone crows about how some supposedly didnt like MOS because it wasnt like a Donner film, but you can already tell it would be different based off the trailers...and everybody was hyped about MOS regardless. MOS would've done better had it lived up to the excitement Snyder/WB created for it.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by hafizbat View Post
Welcome to the Batman v Superman forums, where people will take a perfectly reasonable comment you make and twist it into something completely different to make themselves feel better.
The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 10:45 PM   #5
Juha Bach
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 264
Default Re: Batman V Superman Box Office Prediction - Part 1

Am still waiting to see how some came to the conclusion that MOS was poorly received or had a mixed reception with general audience. Apparently people here Have the ability to speak for the whole GA.

Juha Bach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 10:45 PM   #6
Pickleweasel
Side-Kick
 
Pickleweasel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,960
Default Re: Batman V Superman Box Office Prediction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Marko View Post

Fantastic point. People always cite the DVD sales as a sign that MoS was an undeniable success, but that sounds like such an also-ran argument if you have to point to how it performed on home media platforms once it was out of theaters.
Lol that's a terrible point. DVD sales have gone WAAAAYY down in the last 5-10 years. Add in Itunes downloads and see how they all compare, then maybe you have a point.

No body buys DVD's anymore. Two different eras. I bet X Men last stand has more VHS sales as MOS too.


Last edited by Pickleweasel; 11-02-2014 at 10:54 PM.
Pickleweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 11:01 PM   #7
jmc
callin' it like I see it
 
jmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: I come from the land Down Under
Posts: 21,631
Default Re: Batman V Superman Box Office Prediction - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juha Bach View Post
Am still waiting to see how some came to the conclusion that MOS was poorly received or had a mixed reception with general audience. Apparently people here Have the ability to speak for the whole GA.
We can gauge that Avengers or TDK was universally loved quite easily or that Amazing Spider Man 2 was generally disliked, so there's enough anecdotal evidence as well to support that MoS wasn't universally loved. It's not just a fan thing, we all know plenty of average movies gowers with no stake in the superhero game who flat out just didn't like the movie or were indifferent to it. It's putting your head in the sand if people insist it's just a minority of vocal fans saying it didn't resonate widely.

__________________
Celebrating 75 years of Batman saving Gotham City.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 11:31 PM   #8
Juha Bach
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 264
Default Re: Batman V Superman Box Office Prediction - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
We can gauge that Avengers or TDK was universally loved quite easily or that Amazing Spider Man 2 was generally disliked, so there's enough anecdotal evidence as well to support that MoS wasn't universally loved. It's not just a fan thing, we all know plenty of average movies gowers with no stake in the superhero game who flat out just didn't like the movie or were indifferent to it. It's putting your head in the sand if people insist it's just a minority of vocal fans saying it didn't resonate widely.
I just don't see how by knowing select few average moviegoers opinion(which i feel is an argument bordering conjecture) of the film can now speak for the millions who watched the movie around the world that will lead to the conclusion that the movie has a mixed reception or was poorly received.

Juha Bach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 12:00 AM   #9
jmc
callin' it like I see it
 
jmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: I come from the land Down Under
Posts: 21,631
Default Re: Batman V Superman Box Office Prediction - Part 1

Going but that reasoning we can't ever know if people genuinely liked Avengers either.

__________________
Celebrating 75 years of Batman saving Gotham City.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 01:14 AM   #10
Flint Marko
#BringSpideyHome
 
Flint Marko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Where the skies are so blue
Posts: 2,242
Default Re: Batman V Superman Box Office Prediction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickleweasel View Post
Lol that's a terrible point. DVD sales have gone WAAAAYY down in the last 5-10 years. Add in Itunes downloads and see how they all compare, then maybe you have a point.

No body buys DVD's anymore. Two different eras. I bet X Men last stand has more VHS sales as MOS too.
It took less than a minute for me to look on the itunes store and see that in the top 200 digital downloads are, in order from most popular to least, X-men DOFP, Captain America TWS, ASM 2, Guardians of the Galaxy (which is a pre-order), Avengers, Captain America TFA, TDKR, and TDK. Nowhere did I see MoS.
Please note that four of the eight movies (7 if you don't count the GOTG preorder) in this list came out before Man of Steel did, showing it wasn't exactly the runaway home media hit some people would like you to believe.
Once again, take what you want from these figures but at the end of the day you are believing what you want to.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsWasRight View Post
Doom in the new F4 won't be accurate at all but I think he'll be far more developed and interesting character than the majority of Marvel Studios villains

Last edited by Flint Marko; 11-03-2014 at 01:18 AM.
Flint Marko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:06 AM   #11
Juha Bach
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 264
Default Re: Batman V Superman Box Office Prediction - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
Going but that reasoning we can't ever know if people genuinely liked Avengers either.
You simply do that by looking at its box office numbers which is the true voice of the general audience. Not use the i know a few average movie goers who liked or disliked a movie argument. And MOS box office performance does not reflect a film that was poorly received by the general audience especially domestically.

Juha Bach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 03:35 AM   #12
WBwins
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,052
Default Re: Batman V Superman Box Office Prediction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Marko;30033571[B
]It took less than a minute for me to look on the itunes store and see that in the top 200 digital downloads are, in order from most popular to least, X-men DOFP, Captain America TWS, ASM 2, Guardians of the Galaxy (which is a pre-order), Avengers, Captain America TFA, TDKR, and TDK. Nowhere did I see MoS. [/B]
.
Link please?been searching for the list-the lists i did find had MOS

WBwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 04:17 AM   #13
fangz
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 298
Default Re: Batman V Superman Box Office Prediction

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalonewolf View Post
I really think mos2 will make a billion in two weeks how's about everyone else
P.s don't come on this thread talking negative this thread is strictly for those who respect the dcu and it's ideals
Batman vs Superman is not MOS 2.

you know it's not. why do call it that?

what does it mean to 'respect the dcu and it's ideals'?
what if i don't respect the DCU and/or it's "ideals", but i have a box office prediction or something relevant to say about why i have no respect for DCU and it's "ideals"?

why are u so worried about differing opinions?

why are u acting like you're in charge of any of this? is that the way things work around here? u decide everything?

i don't respect DCU at all.

and i have no idea what "ideals" you're talking about. DCU doesn't actually exist as far as i'm concerned, how can i respect it?

fangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:02 AM   #14
sf2
Side-Kick
 
sf2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,008
Default Re: Batman V Superman Box Office Prediction - Part 1

MOS might suck as you wanna believe it. but BvS isn't MOS2. it's batman!!! and that's it.

__________________
“Everything you can imagine is real.”
― Pablo Picasso
sf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:30 AM   #15
snpklsdmbldr
welcome to the planet
 
snpklsdmbldr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Metropolis
Posts: 437
Default Re: Batman V Superman Box Office Prediction - Part 1

no, BvS is not Batman1!!! it's Batman and Superman as leads with a few members of the Justice League included. and I'm saying that as a Superman fan, plus it's confirmed already that there are planned standalone Superman and Batman movies already so we'll get MOS2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
MOS might suck as you wanna believe it. but BvS isn't MOS2. it's batman!!! and that's it.
anyway...

arguing over box office in the first place is stupid, there's a lot of factors to be considered. even people in economics who spent years of their lives still get things wrong what more on box office with limited/no body of study at all? at best everyone is just predicting figures out of thin air without any substantial data as back up. will you enjoy a movie that earned more money? this is just spoiled and complaining fanboys with too much time in their hands while waiting for movies.

people needs to stop claiming like facts that the people/fans liked or disliked a certain movie without any back up/proof. just because you heard a few people say something about a movie doesn't mean it's the general consensus. all of that is just plain conjecture, just because a certain idea is popular doesn't mean it's the truth.

__________________
DFB-GER 2014 + FCB #31/10 + Scuderia Ferrari + Batman v Superman/Suicide Squad 2016


Last edited by snpklsdmbldr; 11-03-2014 at 06:33 AM.
snpklsdmbldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:04 AM   #16
king666
(¬‿¬)
 
king666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,485
Default Re: Batman V Superman Box Office Prediction

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalonewolf View Post
I really think mos2 will make a billion in two weeks how's about everyone else
P.s don't come on this thread talking negative this thread is strictly for those who respect the dcu and it's ideals

king666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:07 AM   #17
GreenKToo
In the fire
 
GreenKToo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the fire.
Posts: 11,179
Default Re: Batman V Superman Box Office Prediction - Part 1

Mos was pretty good. It had all the action i've always wanted in a superman film but it could have been better.

Complaint 1, the editing. it jumped around from scene to scene without so much as a pause. case in point, when kal's ship was about to crash on earth, the scene instantly cuts to a grown clark on a fishing ship. It actually took me a second to figure out what was happening there.

complaint 2. the hand held, blurry, zoomed in camera shots..I hated that. I dont need to see the camera zoomed in ( and blurred ) on a fight scene or space flight to get the point that its epic..I get it.

The other complaints are just nitpicks. I really really hope the two above are addressed in BvsS. I hope for better editing and NO hand held, zoomed in until you see the whites of their eyes, shaky camera shots.

__________________
''Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid.'' ~ John Wayne



Last edited by GreenKToo; 11-03-2014 at 07:14 AM.
GreenKToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:48 AM   #18
Spiderdevil
Side-Kick
 
Spiderdevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,576
Default Re: Batman V Superman Box Office Prediction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickleweasel View Post
Lol that's a terrible point. DVD sales have gone WAAAAYY down in the last 5-10 years. Add in Itunes downloads and see how they all compare, then maybe you have a point.

No body buys DVD's anymore. Two different eras. I bet X Men last stand has more VHS sales as MOS too.
Very well
ASM 103M
TFA 105M
Thor 81M

Pretty much proportional don't you think

Spiderdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:53 AM   #19
Spiderdevil
Side-Kick
 
Spiderdevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,576
Default Re: Batman V Superman Box Office Prediction - Part 1

Am I the only one who felt that the screenplay/script/Goyer wasn't a problem for MOS but rather direction was? I mean,Batman Begins had a similar script and Nolan made it into a success

Majority of the critics blamed too much action/destruction as a negative point and I remember how Snyder had the budget increased mid production because he wanted longer and more elaborate action sequences.For me majority of the blame goes to Snyder

Spiderdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:25 AM   #20
snpklsdmbldr
welcome to the planet
 
snpklsdmbldr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Metropolis
Posts: 437
Default Re: Batman V Superman Box Office Prediction - Part 1

complaining about too much action/destruction in a Superman movie is like complaining there's too much comedy in a comedy movie.

__________________
DFB-GER 2014 + FCB #31/10 + Scuderia Ferrari + Batman v Superman/Suicide Squad 2016

snpklsdmbldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:50 AM   #21
HaplessHenchman
Goon for hire
 
HaplessHenchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pulling a job
Posts: 1,132
Default Re: Batman V Superman Box Office Prediction - Part 1

Oh, I see we're having another MOS argument here. What is this? The 2,567,821st time this has happened?

ABANDON THREAD!

HaplessHenchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:31 AM   #22
Pickleweasel
Side-Kick
 
Pickleweasel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,960
Default Re: Batman V Superman Box Office Prediction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Marko View Post
It took less than a minute for me to look on the itunes store and see that in the top 200 digital downloads are, in order from most popular to least, X-men DOFP, Captain America TWS, ASM 2, Guardians of the Galaxy (which is a pre-order), Avengers, Captain America TFA, TDKR, and TDK. Nowhere did I see MoS.
Please note that four of the eight movies (7 if you don't count the GOTG preorder) in this list came out before Man of Steel did, showing it wasn't exactly the runaway home media hit some people would like you to believe.
Once again, take what you want from these figures but at the end of the day you are believing what you want to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WBwins View Post
Link please?been searching for the list-the lists i did find had MOS
^This I just looked and MOS is in the second row.....

Heck today it is currently 86th most downloaded and its been out a year

Pickleweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:37 AM   #23
Pickleweasel
Side-Kick
 
Pickleweasel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,960
Default Re: Batman V Superman Box Office Prediction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderdevil View Post
Very well
ASM 103M
TFA 105M
Thor 81M

Pretty much proportional don't you think
DVD sales been dropping like 15% a year, those movies have also been out 2 years longer. The final number isn't just the number that was sold in the first 2 months like box office. Sequels to those movies have already come out which would give those a push MOS come Aug 2016 could be all the way up to 115-120.

The only one that you can really use is Amazing Spiderman, and I thought you were trying to show that bad movies still got higher dvd sales (Xmen 3, Wolverine, spiderman 3, green lantern). The three you just listed aren't considered horrible like the first list. Once your argument falls flat that just goes out the window though huh? lol

Pickleweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:51 AM   #24
snpklsdmbldr
welcome to the planet
 
snpklsdmbldr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Metropolis
Posts: 437
Default Re: Batman V Superman Box Office Prediction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickleweasel View Post
^This I just looked and MOS is in the second row.....

Heck today it is currently 86th most downloaded and its been out a year
he's just believing what he wants to and ignore MOS is there.


__________________
DFB-GER 2014 + FCB #31/10 + Scuderia Ferrari + Batman v Superman/Suicide Squad 2016

snpklsdmbldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 11:22 AM   #25
WBwins
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,052
Default Re: Batman V Superman Box Office Prediction - Part 1

I already settled this

Mos was a simple hit movie like Cap1,Thor1,Batman Begins.

It however was not a Huge hit like TWS,GOTG,Iron man 1,The Dark Knight.

A huge hit would have skyrocketed Supes popularity no doubt:The way TWS did for Cap and Darkknight did for Batman.

Mos was a moderate hit so it simply introduced the charcter like Batman begins and Cap 1.

Howver It is clearly inaccurate to call MOS a failure just b/c it wasnt a Huge hit.Thats as stupid as calling BB and Cap1 failures

Please note that when i talk about hits i mean audience reception

WBwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:28 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.