The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 12:59 AM   #326
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - - -

could never figure out why Sal gave BRB claws.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
It does look like tom added about 10 or so pounds, which is good. Loki shouldn't be nearly as big as thor, but he shouldn't be skinny. Asgardians all have super human strength, so I'd prefer Loki, while not buff, to look some what physically capable of being that strong, not just because he is.

Also, what the hell happened to Loki in the comics? When was the last time he had some impressive, or good feats? I remember he used to be quite powerful under his own magic and power. Hell, he fought the silver surfer in the past and looked damn good doing so. I used to think that Loki could most certainly tangle with any herald level character, but now these days, idk

I mean look at this,

the guy has one shotted beta ray bill it seems like

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Old 08-06-2013, 01:01 AM   #327
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - - -

Hogun called Loki a "Master of Magic" and he performed a whole lot of stuff in THOR that looked just like the kind of magic you would see a Merlin or a Harry Potter character do. The whole "science/magic" debate thing is only in the minds of the genre fan set on these message boards. The supposed Agardian science is never gone into in any depth what so ever, Thor's little speech is never brought up again not counting Darcy and Jane quoting Asimov, and if that little perfunctory band aid of an exposition were to be removed would it make one damned difference to either the narrative or THOR or AVENGERS or affect it's box office?

Last edited by KRYPTON INC.; 08-06-2013 at 01:02 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-06-2013, 01:28 AM   #328
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Crazy as a bag of cats lol

....to every King.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:33 AM   #329
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartha View Post
Crazy as a bag of cats lol

That is a cat that looks like it has a $1,000 a week catnip habit.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:38 AM   #330
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

lol yup yup probably does

....to every King.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:41 AM   #331
Moonwing
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
Hogun called Loki a "Master of Magic" and he performed a whole lot of stuff in THOR that looked just like the kind of magic you would see a Merlin or a Harry Potter character do. The whole "science/magic" debate thing is only in the minds of the genre fan set on these message boards. The supposed Agardian science is never gone into in any depth what so ever, Thor's little speech is never brought up again not counting Darcy and Jane quoting Asimov, and if that little perfunctory band aid of an exposition were to be removed would it make one damned difference to either the narrative or THOR or AVENGERS or affect it's box office?
What it was exactly? Weak mirror images (we do not know if they are combat effective or just an hologram like illusions), short range teleportation and , possible, invisibility(all of those can be explained with science). All of his other "magic" was artifact dependent (lowest end of magic execution scale (thought>word,gesture>artifact) , so not really his.

I like to see something of a classic and not so subtle magic activity like old fashioned energy bolts/shields/transformation(and not just holographic closes change) etc.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:54 AM   #332
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwing View Post
What it was exactly? Weak mirror images (we do not know if they are combat effective or just an hologram like illusions), short range teleportation and , possible, invisibility(all of those can be explained with science). All of his other "magic" was artifact dependent (lowest end of magic execution scale (thought>word,gesture>artifact) , so not really his.

I like to see something of a classic and not so subtle magic activity like old fashioned energy bolts/shields/transformation(and not just holographic closes change) etc.
He was throwing some kind of magical bolts in the fight with the Frost Giants, he was indeed "conjuring up" stuff from where ever it was (the teleporting of the Casket in his confrontation with Idris Elba) not to mention the deleted scene of him seeming to transmute wine into snakes or at least cast an illusion of snakes... But that's besides the point. He was doing things one could also see a mage type from any other story doing. High end or low end it still came across as magical. Show me a character that can teleport an object across space with a gesture and my first impression would be "magic" until told otherwise. But that's me.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:02 AM   #333
Thor Odinson
Banned User

Quote:
He was throwing some kind of magical bolts in the fight with the Frost Giants, he was indeed "conjuring up" stuff from where ever it was (the teleporting of the Casket in his confrontation with Idris Elba) not to mention the deleted scene of him seeming to transmute wine into snakes or at least cast an illusion of snakes... But that's besides the point. He was doing things one could also see a mage type from any other story doing. High end or low end it still came across as magical. Show me a character that can teleport an object across space with a gesture and my first impression would be "magic" until told otherwise. But that's me.
Same here.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:07 AM   #334
Moonwing
Side-Kick

Quote:
Those, as far as I know(from the artbook), were physical trowing knives. Deleted scene, yep, that was close...but it was deleted.
All in all I get what you are saying I just want to see something less subtle, more flashy and more combat oriented in magic department.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:10 AM   #335
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

I just don't want an over-explained reason for Loki's or even Odin's Magiks.
I'm mean what's the harm in just going with the flow?

....to every King.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:12 AM   #336
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Those, as far as I know(from the artbook), were physical trowing knives. Deleted scene, yep, that was close...but it was deleted.
All in all I get what you are saying I just want to see something less subtle, more flashy and more combat oriented in magic department.
Yes, those were Knives of LIGHT, I remember seeing that too Moonwing. They were ALOT like the small knife Loki Stabbed Thor with in Avengers

....to every King.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:13 AM   #337
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:

In terms of both Loki's magic and Thor's physical power I am in agreement with you sir/madam. Thor and his supporting cast on film have suffered a little from ambiguity of levels of power. I don't think it is planned out that way, but I hope that DARK WORLD has scenes that clear all this up in the general audience's mind. "Oh, Thor is just as strong and physically capable as the Hulk is" or "Loki has magic power to rival Gandalf. No wonder he's Thor's arch enemy" should be the some of the things people should think on their way out of the theatres.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:19 AM   #338
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
In terms of both Loki's magic and Thor's physical power I am in agreement with you sir/madam. Thor and his supporting cast on film have suffered a little from ambiguity of levels of power. I don't think it is planned out that way, but I hope that DARK WORLD has scenes that clear all this up in the general audience's mind. "Oh, Thor is just as strong and physically capable as the Hulk is" or "Loki has magic power to rival Gandalf. No wonder he's Thor's arch enemy" should be the some of the things people should think on their way out of the theatres.
You would think with ELVES of any kind there would be some kind of Magic explained.
I mean that one Dark Elf book had some pretty iffy stuff in it, but even magic can be used in Machines.

....to every King.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:25 AM   #339
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
You would think with ELVES of any kind there would be some kind of Magic explained.
I mean that one Dark Elf book had some pretty iffy stuff in it, but even magic can be used in Machines.

Yeah. I actually think that the old Asimov quote could be reversed and still hold true. In THOR Sitwell thinks The Destroyer is "one of Stark's". They also had the episode of YOUNG JUSTICE where KID FLASH keeps coming up with alternatives to the idea that DR. FATE is in fact an honest to goodness sorcerer. Perhaps this should be a new (fictional) quote: "Any sufficiently powerful magic would be indistinguishable from advanced technology".

Old 08-06-2013, 02:32 AM   #340
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Yeah. I actually think that the old Asimov quote could be reversed and still hold true. In THOR Sitwell thinks The Destroyer is "one of Stark's". They also had the episode of YOUNG JUSTICE where KID FLASH keeps coming up with alternatives to the idea that DR. FATE is in fact an honest to goodness sorcerer. Perhaps this should be a new (fictional) quote: "Any sufficiently powerful magic would be indistinguishable from advanced technology".
The game Too Human was an AWESOME idea of Magic and technology combined like it's suggested in the Thor movies.

....to every King.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:33 AM   #341
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

All bias aside, there simple fact is that MCU Loki has been overwhelmingly unimpressive in terms of magic, and overall power. He got made a fool of by freakin Ironman, twice. I know that things change in the movies, but Iron man is not in Loki's league, scheme or not

Old 08-06-2013, 02:34 AM   #342
Moonwing
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yep, I hope so too. If the trailer description is right we will be able to see a gimps of it like gloving hands on Loki from the SDCC footage (if trailer as Loki heavy as tweets suggest they will have to use all of his scenes in it, including magic-making one) and Thor destroying stone man in one swing.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:41 AM   #343
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
All bias aside, there simple fact is that MCU Loki has been overwhelmingly unimpressive in terms of magic, and overall power. He got made a fool of by freakin Ironman, twice. I know that things change in the movies, but Iron man is not in Loki's league, scheme or not
Not agreeing or disagreeing... Yet. Please elaborate if you will sir. Where did Tony make a fool of Loki and how was this doing a disservice to the god of mischief. Really. No snark. I am curious because I don't remember having that impression. If anything I thought Loki came off well in Avengers.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:19 AM   #344
Bren
Forevernoob

In their first meeting it was IM putting Loki on his butt - which we assume was part of Loki's plan.

The problem comes in when Stark suits up in the mk7 and shoots him down (again). So I suppose the impression could be that even if he surrendered to IM the first time as part of the plan, he still would have lost had he needed to fight.

Until Stark has had time to study and design countermeasures to magic (with Thor/Scarlet Witch's help), I woul love it if Loki could just wave his hand and the armour shuts down or falls off hehe.

We know Loki's durable, we want to see him powerful.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:10 AM   #345
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
In their first meeting it was IM putting Loki on his butt - which we assume was part of Loki's plan.

The problem comes in when Stark suits up in the mk7 and shoots him down (again). So I suppose the impression could be that even if he surrendered to IM the first time as part of the plan, he still would have lost had he needed to fight.

Until Stark has had time to study and design countermeasures to magic (with Thor/Scarlet Witch's help), I woul love it if Loki could just wave his hand and the armour shuts down or falls off hehe.

We know Loki's durable, we want to see him powerful.
Can't argue too much with what you wrote... but I will anyway.

My main theory is just this: Physically, Loki is no Thor. Or Fandral, or Volstagg or Hogun or Sif. Durable though he may be by human standards, he is not as tough as his fellow Asgardians who are battle hardened and honed warriors. So him taking a double repulsor blast to the chest and him landing on his posterior? Seems legit to me. Plus it's still damned impressive he was still in as good shape as he was. Even a half power repulsor has got to be a huge outburst of power/kinetic energy. Enough to do some damage to steel reinforced concrete at least. Does that sound reasonable? And yet Loki is not a smear on the ground, he just has the the wind really taken out of his sails. Of course then Tony pulls out all the freakin' stops and preps what looks like every offensive system his armor at the time had. I'm not saying that the one off laser gauntlet Tony used at the end of IM2 would outright kill Loki... But if I were Loki, I don't think I would want to actually experience finding out either. As for him also taking a blast at Stark Tower? He just threw a guy off a skyscraper but then takes what is essentially a military rocket to the face when the new armor launches, then against all odds Tony flys back up and hits him solid in the chest with a repulsor blast from his new armor, and as history has shown (and the final battle proves) Iron Man's new armors are usually more powerful than the previous model. All in all there is no shame in my eyes that he takes a bit of a pounding in the film. They are "Earth's Mightiest Heroes" after all.

Last edited by KRYPTON INC.; 08-06-2013 at 04:11 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-06-2013, 04:12 AM   #346
SilentWarriorZ
men of bats

There wasn't enough Power fight between Thor and Loki also Thor's character looked weak as suppose God I mean If hulk could punch one of the Alien thing Down So could Thor and could wipe out entire Alien army with the Hammer but the movie Just Focused on Ironman Instead .

Old 08-06-2013, 04:13 AM   #347
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Makes it funnier that he keeps making Thor look like a fool.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:35 AM   #348
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Makes it funnier that he keeps making Thor look like a fool.
Well if Thor was alittle more AWARE if you notice in the Coulson Death scenes, Loki just before he's about to push the button the send thor down in the cage he has the Scepter, then Coulson steps in and says step away and he Doesn't have the scepter meaning that's the mirror Loki. Seems to ME that anything that Loki isn't WEARING he can't create a mirror of, like the Scepter.

....to every King.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:55 AM   #349
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well if Thor was alittle more AWARE if you notice in the Coulson Death scenes, Loki just before he's about to push the button the send thor down in the cage he has the Scepter, then Coulson steps in and says step away and he Doesn't have the scepter meaning that's the mirror Loki. Seems to ME that anything that Loki isn't WEARING he can't create a mirror of, like the Scepter.
Thor, the dunderhead.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:59 AM   #350
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Thor, the dunderhead.
Well he DID just fight Hulk lol he was probably still a tad fuzzy

(I still say that Thor was weakened by the Transportation of Dark energy )

....to every King.

Closed Thread