The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 04:46 PM   #151
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
The poster is fine and will do exactly what it's supposed to do: Advertise the film to people who see it in theaters. However, I do hope that there are more posters for the film as time goes on. There ought to be some individual posters for Thor and the other character at the very least. It's popular to trash Iron Man 3's posters but several of them were iconic. Thor's posters should be up to that standard.

Thank you! Too many people seem to conveniently forget that the IM3 posters were all great...with the exception of the IMAX one. Of course that's the one people keep reposting.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:51 PM   #152
DyeLorean
Cinemaphonic Quadrovision

Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - - -

I really don't see a problem with the posters being similar (or at least having the same typography for the credits).
After all, the movies are coming from the same brand, it shouldn't be a problem if they want to keep some kind of visual connection between all the Phase 2 movies.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:59 PM   #153
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
Thank you! Too many people seem to conveniently forget that the IM3 posters were all great...with the exception of the IMAX one. Of course that's the one people keep reposting.
The ideas are sound. The execution, not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyeLorean View Post
I really don't see a problem with the posters being similar (or at least having the same typography for the credits).
After all, the movies are coming from the same brand, it shouldn't be a problem if they want to keep some kind of visual connection between all the Phase 2 movies.
It gets annoying with they don't fit. Iron Man 3, The Dark World, The Winter Solider and Guardians of the Galaxy are all very different genres. There look and advertising should show this.

We have an action film, a sci-fantasy film, an espionage film and a space opera. These aren't close.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:02 PM   #154
ctsketch
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGeek View Post
This made me laugh out loud. That would be refreshing indeed.

The Thor poster is beautiful, but I can't help cringe a bit at the "ooh, save me" pretty lady pose. I prefer the thoughtful look Jane had in the concept/art poster that came out, I think, for Comic Con.

And what's up with Loki--I can't tell if he's supposed to look diabolical or insane.
I think Loki tumbles more down the rabbit hole with each movie.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:06 PM   #155
DyeLorean

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post

It gets annoying with they don't fit. Iron Man 3, The Dark World, The Winter Solider and Guardians of the Galaxy are all very different genres. There look and advertising should show this.

We have an action film, a sci-fantasy film, an espionage film and a space opera. These aren't close.
True, but let's not forget this are like the "theatrical main posters". We always have at least a couple of teasers, an Imax one, characters posters, and then some others coming from different artists. I don't see much of a problem if all those want to be different and explore each genre, and then the "main" one maintains some consistency with the rest of the Phase 2 movies.
(It doesn't matter anyway, we all know that for the Blu-Ray and DVD release, they choose the worst of all, or even create an even crappier one -like the 'split' image for Avengers-)

Old 08-01-2013, 05:08 PM   #156
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyeLorean View Post
True, but let's not forget this are like the "theatrical main posters". We always have at least a couple of teasers, an Imax one, characters posters, and then some others coming from different artists. I don't see much of a problem if all those want to be different and explore each genre, and then the "main" one maintains some consistency with the rest of the Phase 2 movies.
(It doesn't matter anyway, we all know that for the Blu-Ray and DVD release, they choose the worst of all, or even create an even crappier one -like the 'split' image for Avengers-)
All the Iron Man 3 posters look like they came from the same source.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:15 PM   #157
DyeLorean

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
All the Iron Man 3 posters look like they came from the same source.
I remember at least 3 different types of posters:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

And all the rest character posters, more "unified" with the theatrical one. What I mean is, we always get different type of posters.

Last edited by DyeLorean; 08-01-2013 at 05:18 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:19 PM   #158
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moridin View Post
Like Joey, I completely disagree with what you said about IM3. I found it to be very sharply written, fresh & had a very distinct [Shane Black] tone that sets it apart from not only other Marvel Studios films, but from any other superhero film, full stop.

Stark had a great arc. Does the suit make the man, or does the man make the suit. His PTSD & anxiety, feeling like he might not be up to the challenge of what's out there because he's "just a man in a can", all that was handled very well & Downey was fantastic with it.

The Mandarin worked on multiple levels without kicking you in the head with it's ideas. Simultaniously skewering the post-Nolan audience expectations of "realistic" villains, commenting on the idea of corporate & media created boogeymen in the real world, & working as a dark mirror of Stark.

Where Stark uses his fame to his advantage, Killian realises he can use his anonymity to his own ends.
Where Stark uses his own genius to make himself powerful, Killian uses other peoples genius.

Formulaic and safe my arse.

Some people act like if a movie is funny then it can't have character developement or deal with serious themes, which is utterly ridiclous.
Bravo. Very well said.

The tone of IM3 was far darker than any other Marvel film, and of most superhero films in general, despite the humor. It explored a lot of very complex themes without ever resorting to the type of blatant exposition that beat viewers about the head and shoulders with the writers' intent. At its heart it was a very well-crafted character piece and an deft dissection of our current media-driven culture disguised in superhero/action movie trappings.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:19 PM   #159
Mightyally
Mr Arcade

The feel when Lego does better posters

Old 08-01-2013, 05:24 PM   #160
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyally View Post

The original version of that poster was terrific. The LEGO one is just a cute parody.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:32 PM   #161
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:

That's exactly like the original one, so i don't see how it's better

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Old 08-01-2013, 05:39 PM   #162
StarLord
Snake.

Not a fan of that new poster.

I'm still looking forward to this movie though.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:48 PM   #163
OstrichsRevenge
Side-Kick

Quote:

Lego, FTW!

Its frustrating that they had to scrap Tony Stark being an alcoholic for IM3 in favor of...anxiety? The HISHE video for IM3 sums it up pretty perfectly.

On the Thor note, I hope they do a Lego poster for them as well. I have the lego set for the Avengers and the little characters are adorable.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:20 PM   #164
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by OstrichsRevenge View Post
Lego, FTW!

Its frustrating that they had to scrap Tony Stark being an alcoholic for IM3 in favor of...anxiety? The HISHE video for IM3 sums it up pretty perfectly.

On the Thor note, I hope they do a Lego poster for them as well. I have the lego set for the Avengers and the little characters are adorable.

The way Tony's PTSD and anxiety disorder was developed was the perfect character arc for him. It is entirely realistic that a man who went through the sort of traumatic experiences Tony had in TA would develop PTSD and that his illness would severely impact all areas of his behavior. Black & Pearce wrote that brilliantly, albeit within the framework of a superhero film. Tony's character arc, his mistakes due to the effects of PTSD, his disastrous fall and eventual resurgence, were every bit as compelling and satisfying as the alcoholism story would have been.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:38 PM   #165
itchyscratch
Side-Kick

Poster seems good. I'm not sure about the Jane pose, it's a bit overused and cheesy, but it's nice to see Thor not in an action 'whacking you with my hammer' pose for once.

I do hope that Jane isn't going to morph from a woman who is scientific, in control, curious, competent, smart, straight into a situation where she's on Asgard and the best thing she can think of to do is don a monoboob frock and look worried. Yes, she's out of her comfort zone, but she's not just going to be passive and look to Thor for protection every time Odin gives her the stinkeye.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:49 PM   #166
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
The way Tony's PTSD and anxiety disorder was developed was the perfect character arc for him. It is entirely realistic that a man who went through the sort of traumatic experiences Tony had in TA would develop PTSD and that his illness would severely impact all areas of his behavior. Black & Pearce wrote that brilliantly, albeit within the framework of a superhero film. Tony's character arc, his mistakes due to the effects of PTSD, his disastrous fall and eventual resurgence, were every bit as compelling and satisfying as the alcoholism story would have been.
I felt like they kind of magically whisked away the PTSD stuff in the third act. It's one of the many reasons IM3 is my least favorite MCU movie.

I'm all for switching up tones, etc., though. Can't wait for Taylor's take on Thor.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:10 PM   #167
souNdwAve89
Side-Kick

The poster is alright, but a little too cluttered for my taste. Like some have stated, I don't like how Christopher Eccleston's name is not on the poster...

Old 08-01-2013, 07:38 PM   #168
jmc
callin' it like I see it

New poster is good in concept but they went overboard with the amount of stuff on there, Thor, Jane and the army of people below would have been all you need. What's funny is those type of posters work when they're illustrated, like Drew Struzan posters, but tend to look fairly ordinary when done in photoshop.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:48 PM   #169
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

I like Thor's poster better, but I absolutely love the visual connection between them and hope that Cap and Guardians follow a similar mold. When putting Phase 2 side-by-side it would be awesome for them all to seem to fit together. Like walking down a wall and they all flow nicely. It has a simple unity to it while still being strikingly different.

And to "but they're all different genres," while that's true the two above seem tonally different yet the same. Iron Man's is more machine and corporate oriented and foreign, Thor's seems more fantastical almost like a Pirates or Star Wars poster. The layout is the same, I don't see how the tone of the presentation is the same.

"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag

Last edited by Ultimatehero; 08-01-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:07 PM   #170
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Man they really applied the Golden Ratio rule to the Thor poster.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:21 PM   #171
marvel_freshman
Side-Kick

1687 x 2499

Old 08-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #172
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

I wonder if Kurse not being featured on the poster means that he won't be as prominent as some of us wants in the film.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:37 PM   #173
Silvermoon
Made To Be Ruled

Some cropped close ups of Warriors Three and Sif from the HQ Large poster that freshman posted:

~Agents of SHIELD
Old 08-01-2013, 08:38 PM   #174
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermoon View Post
Some cropped close ups of Warriors Three and Sif from the HQ Large poster that freshman posted:

Old 08-01-2013, 08:45 PM   #175
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

That armor looks like it's too big for Jaimie. Some non-boob-enhanced armor would've been nice.

/nitpicking