The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Old 01-18-2015, 12:33 AM   #1
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Default B-List Villains as the Main Villain of a Comic Book Movie

Sometimes comic book movies will have a villain who is not considered A-list be the main villain of a movie and the results have somewhat mixed.

Whiplash in Iron Man 2, Electro in Amazing Spider-Man 2 and Sandman in Spider-Man 3 were okay, but pretty disappointing as villains overall. Hector Hammond, Mr. Freeze, Poison Ivy and Malekith were pretty bad villain wise.

However Zod was a pretty obscure villain before he was featured in Superman 2, so that worked out well for a previously B-list Superman villain. Captain America: The Winter Solider feature a bunch of B-list villains working together to further the plot and that worked well.

So should movie makers use villains that are considered B-list in the comics as main villains in the movies? What can be done to avoid having a B-list comic book villain becoming a mediocre movie villains, as has happened in the past?

The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 05:39 AM   #2
AVEITWITHJAMON
False God?

Default Re: B-List Villains the Main Villain of a Comic Book Movie

I think some B-List villains would be great to see in future CBMs. For example I would love to see Ruin or Preus in a future Superman movie. Here are some others I would like to see:

Hulk: Wendigo, The Red Prince, Skaar (not really a villain I know but would love to see him)
Spider-Man: Scorpion, Shocker and especially Morbius
X-Men: Proteus and more of Juggernaut
Ghost Rider: Scarecrow, Zadkiel
Guardians Of The Galaxy: The Fallen One (as a herald of Thanos maybe?), Blastaar
Transformers: Sixshot, Thunderwing
Hellboy: Koschei The Deathless
Fantastic Four: Super Skrull

There are more, but I can't think at the moment. I like that Agents Of SHIELD has introduced the likes of Graviton, Absorbing Man and Hyde into the show, I hope they continue to do this and we get to see more someday.

1)Mad Max: Fury Road-9(2)Kingsman: The Secret Service-9(3)Ex Machina-8.5(4)Jurassic World-8.5(5)Avengers: Age Of Ultron-8(6)John Wick-8(7)It Follows-8(8)Terminator: Genisys-7(9)Chappie-6
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 06:14 PM   #3
Keehar
Banned User

Batman: Killer Croc

Keehar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 06:31 PM   #4
Mightmitenot
Driftwood on a shore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keehar View Post
Batman: Killer Croc
Terra Man, decowboyed might work. Pastepot Pete aka Trapster. Myxlptlk is a powerhouse who likely could take out Galactus but a minor villain

I asked my love to give me shelter
And all she offered me were dreams
Of all the moments spent together
That move like never ending streams.
Mightmitenot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 06:37 PM   #5
Keehar
Banned User

Myxlptlk is an awesome underrated villain. He looks goofy but he can be great when he's written properly.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:10 PM   #6
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Iron Man doesn't have any A-List villains, unless you count Avengers villains like Ultron.

Kahran Ramsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 09:50 PM   #7
Donnie Darko
Forgotten Pre-New 52 Hero

I'm all for B-List villains. Like Kahran just said about Iron Man, some of these guys only have B-List or below.

Also, if using a lesser known villain means that one day, one day damn it, I get to see an X-Men movie that doesn't have Magneto, then hell yes! I love McKellan and Fassbender, but we've already had Magneto in five movies. Give him a break.

Donnie Darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 05:02 AM   #8
Keehar
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahran Ramsus View Post
Iron Man doesn't have any A-List villains, unless you count Avengers villains like Ultron.
Ultron isn't really an Iron Man villain. More an Avengers villain.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:39 AM   #9
CaptainWagner
Strong Arm of the Law

Spiderman has the most B list villains that could pass as main threats: Mysterio, Kraven, Scorpion, Morbious, etc...

CaptainWagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:49 AM   #10
Lord
All Mighty

I think Stryker in X-Men 2 was the biggest surprise of all, he was a villain even fans of the comics didn't know much or care about, when everyone was guessing what the X-2 would be about, nobody ever guesses Stryker would be a possibility.

In order for a B to C Villain to be interesting, he needs to have a good purpose to be in the narrative, and if necessary, his backstory can be changed. Whiplash seemed to have some good planning and the actor was trying hard for him to be unforgetable, however, it seems like the studio ruined that during the production.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:48 AM   #11
CaptainWagner
Strong Arm of the Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
I think Stryker in X-Men 2 was the biggest surprise of all, he was a villain even fans of the comics didn't know much or care about, when everyone was guessing what the X-2 would be about, nobody ever guesses Stryker would be a possibility.

In order for a B to C Villain to be interesting, he needs to have a good purpose to be in the narrative, and if necessary, his backstory can be changed. Whiplash seemed to have some good planning and the actor was trying hard for him to be unforgetable, however, it seems like the studio ruined that during the production.
Whiplash could likely have been on Loki's level of greatness. It was the studio cuts that did him in.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:27 PM   #12
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keehar View Post
Ultron isn't really an Iron Man villain. More an Avengers villain.
I know. That's what I said.

Kahran Ramsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 01:09 PM   #13
Rowsdower!
Built-in deniability

Stryker was a great villain in X2, so much so that the writers of the X-Men films feel the need to keep using him and using him and using him because they have trouble making other villains compelling.

Nightwing/Dick Grayson: Jack O'Connell
Zatanna: Jessica Szohr
Poison Ivy: Alexandra Breckenridge
Rowsdower! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 01:26 PM   #14
CaptainWagner
Strong Arm of the Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
Stryker was a great villain in X2, so much so that the writers of the X-Men films feel the need to keep using him and using him and using him because they have trouble making other villains compelling.
The biggest problem with X-film villains is that since the first film, the writers feel the need to make every film about saving the world. Why not just someone like Moses Magnum, who is just an international criminal?

Old 01-20-2015, 01:36 PM   #15
Guard82
Side-Kick

It's always neat when they can take a lesser known villain from the comics and adapt him in such a way that he becomes memorable and earns higher recognition. The key to using a more B-list villain effectively is good storytelling and good characterization. That's generally the difference between B-list villains who are adapted well, and ones who aren't adapted so well.

Zod was a perfect example of this in Superman II, and so was Stryker in X2, and also Shaw in First Class. In addition, as someone mentioned, Agents of SHIELD had used several B-list Marvel villains in compelling and memorable ways. Absorbing Man, Graviton, Mr. Hyde, Blizzard, Kraken, and Lorelei have gotten some great portrayals in the show.

And as mentioned above, the lesser-known villains who appeared Captain America: The Winter Soldier were used superbly. You had the Winter Soldier himself, Crossbones, Arnim Zola, Alexander Pierce (an adaptation of Alexander Lukin), and Batroc, and all of them filled their respective roles in the story perfectly. I think that when you give these villain characters room in the story to shine, and write them as interesting characters, it can really elevate their profiles in the public mind.

Guard82 is offline   Reply With Quote