The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Old 01-12-2014, 02:11 PM   #451
InJustice
Side-Kick

Default Re: Overrated Comic Book Films

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahran Ramsus View Post
Lois wasn't going to die in Superman I. That was put in when the ending to Superman I was reworked to include the winding back time sequence which was originally going to be in Superman II.

Donner was going to film a new ending to Superman II, but he got fired before he was able to.

The Donner Cut on DVD is not a completed version of the film. It was more of an experiment for the fans to show what Donner's intended version of Superman II might have looked like.
I see. Thanks for explaining.

InJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:20 PM   #452
Squaremaster316
Side-Kick

From a list I'm working on:

1. Honorable mention: Superman 78
Much like his comic book counterpart has been heralded as the godfather of superheroes, Richard Donner's Superman has been described by many as the blueprint for the modern day superhero origin film. With a clear eye for detail and a great amount of heart put into the development of its central protagonist, along with a compelling duel performance by relative newcomer Christopher Reeve as the strong, confident Man of Steel and the meek, mild-mannered, awkward reporter Clark Kent, Superman '78 stands to this date as an almost perfect “coming of age” story and established Reeve's Superman to many as THE prime example of “perfect meshing of actor with character”, as anyone who you ask will tell you, Christopher Reeve IS Superman. Watching him fly around and stop various bewildered criminals is a joy, not to mention the infamous scene where he first meets Lois. It a sense of wonder about this character, despite the fact that we have spent an hour being introduced to him growing up

Along with Reeve, the film is also supported by a strong supporting cast. Margot Kidder's Lois Lane makes for a strong, outspoken and thoroughly competent female character who can be tough and yet feminine at the same time without having to sacrifice one aspect for the other OR making either aspect over-the-top in its execution. Glenn Ford's Jonathan Kent, while limited in his use, gave a good foundation for Clark to grow up on and kept him on the straight and narrow, not allowing him to use his powers selfishly. Marlon Brando's Jor-El takes this a step further, providing a strong father figure/mentor for Clark's progression and for both elevating Clark to symbol of hope for the people of Earth, while maintaining his down-to-Earth nature after developing his powers further, allowing him to actually use his powers for the benefit of Mankind, but not so much as to make the people completely rely on him and rely more on themselves in the future. Marc MaClure and Phyllis Thaxter's round off the cast nicely with minor roles that are serviceable, yet aren't given enough time to become particularly memorable. This all forms a great, complex relationship between Clark/Jor-El and the citizens of Earth. It is also one of the few films of the genre to have a definitive, iconic, recognizable score associated with it, and while I do enjoy the fantastic new compositions Zimmer created for the “Man of Steel” film, John Williams epic symphony will still resonate as a timeless classic and as close as anyone will get for a “definitive” theme.

So, with all the praise I've heaped on this film, why would I place it among a list of films that I feel have received unjustified acclaim?

Well, as great as the main character, the supporting cast, character development, and the internal plot of the film all are, no superhero film would be complete without a great villain and a solid external plot.

Sadly, this film has almost none of the former and only smatterings of the latter.

Gene Hackman's Lex Luthor is portrayed as an arrogant, greedy megalomaniac, but unfortunately, he comes off more comical than threatening. His ploy to cause an earthquake to create a chain of Islands for real estate doesn't come off as particularly ambitious and is just a bit silly. His associates are jokes, in every single meaning of the word.

Miss Teschmacher is a typical dumb blonde for the time period who is basically a prop for Lex to satisfy his urges over, and Otis...

frankly, there could NOT have created a more stereotypical, bumbling doofus sidekick. He is such an over-the-top buffoon and so thoroughly incompetent that the suspension of disbelief needed to buy that this bungling boob could play any significant role in Lex's scheme or form any sort of cog in the machine is stretched to the limit, then snapped, taking out the eye of everyone within range. The film itself seems to be self aware of this by having Lex make comments about how stupid Otis is at every opportunity, as well as the “Fat guy” music that accompanies him every time he moves. The scene where they take control of the missiles is ridiculously easy given what they have to work with, making the police and the soldiers guarding it look even dumber.

Watching Superman go up against this crew is like watching a lost episode of the 3 Stooges, it's just too one-sided for any sort of conceivably strong conflict. It may have been a reasonable product of the time, but it just doesn't hold up with the rest of the film.

The other major issue with this film is the ending. When Superman discovers Lois dead after stopping every other major disaster, he lets out an anguishing scream to the heavens(one of the very few in cinematic history that didn't come off as a cheap cliche and, thanks to Reeve's remarkable acting abilities, didn't feel forced or cheesy). Had the film ended on this, despite the depressing tone, it would have been the first film of the genre to kill off the Non-powered, female love interest, and would have beaten the The Dark Knight to the punch by a good 3 decades.

Instead, we get treated to, arguably, the biggest and most infamous Deus ex Machina ever utilized in the genre, if not from the very medium the source material comes from.

Superman flies around the Earth, causing the rotation of the axis to reverse and turn back time. The sheer number and scope of the holes and leaps of logic needed for this to work are insurmountable, and it also gives the brilliant emotional scene that preceded it the feeling of a cheap cop-out. A lesser film would have completely fallen to pieces after a plot twist this ridiculous, if it wasn't for the internal plot being as good as it was. Other moments, such as Superman revealing his inability to see through lead and the odd inner monologue of Lois during Superman's flying sequence are small problems that compound the overall detriments to the film.

It's impact on the genre cannot be denied, but, unfortunately, neither can its problems.

Squaremaster316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:42 PM   #453
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmannerism View Post
Dude, no disrespect to your opinion, nor to your great threads, but
here's something to think about in terms of the setting.

BB had to bridge the gap between the Burton/Schumacher films and
Nolan's version of a Batman who could operate in a highly realistic world.

As such, BB's Gotham is still very dark and Gothic - I think it was a great setting, but elements of it are still very comic book-ish.

My theory, is that TDK was meant to bring Batman a step further in Nolan's overall plan to showcase him as someone who could semi-believably operate in the real world ( if you can believe the billionaire-ninja-detective thing, although Nolan was wise in allocating Batman's scientific prowess to Lucius Fox, well played Nolan. The armour that protects him from falls off skyscrapers is still a bit much, but who cares right ?)

Anyway, to give his Batman a more realistic feel, I believe that generic big American city was precisely what Nolan was going for.....well, actually let's be honest, his Gotham is New York (particularly in TDKR, with the island , which is pretty much Manhattan, being the main setting).

Personally, I liked the way Nolan used realistic (and real, as in Hong Kong) settings for his films, I thought that actually elevated TDK above BB. In the same way his Joker was damn scary because he uses everyday weapons (and pencils), rather than practical joke-gag-weapons (which wouldn't have worked in the context of the film), the tension of the film is heightened because we don't have to suspend any disbelief in terms of the
setting (whereas BB's Gotham is still a little fantastical, TDK's Gotham is somewhere we've all been, or at least seen in countless other forms of media -for those of us who live in far flung parts of the world.

This is all IMO stuff really, but for me, the realistic settings enhanced the film tremendously, but I can see how they would not work for some.
I think they reflected Nolan's overall vision for the character (he was trying to tell the story of his creation, rise, fall and eventual triumph and ending).
Again, I think that TDK was the best of the 3 films - sadly, TDKR was more like Return of the Jedi to Empire Strikes Back, rather than Return of the King to Two Towers - by that I mean that while the final instalment did its job, finished the story, and was entertaining, it didn't have the impact of the middle film (whereas Return of the King is the biggest emotional payoff in any fantasy/sci-fi film trilogy ever, IMO. ROTJ was good, and answered all the questions but like TDKR, had some mis-steps in terms of execution that made it
(I'm not even going to go near the Matrix trilogy, or Spider-Man 3 -although I did like that they resolved the Harry-Peter-MJ triangle ).

Sorry, got off topic there. Anyway, that's why IMO the realistic setting (which was a somewhat generic analogue of NYC) worked. But I see your point.

cheers.

I thought the way Gotham looked in each film only reflected how much impact (or lack of impact before Batman showed up) Batman's presence had on it. In BB Gotham was corrupt and ugly b/c Batman hadn't existed yet. And his war on crime had only begun by the end of the movie. At the beginning of TDK Gotham looked more clean and less grim than BB's Gotham b/c of the progress Batman has made by ridding it of crime. His presence has made Gotham safer until the Joker shows up. 8 years later in TDKR the "Harvey Dent Act" managed to wipe out most of (if not all of) crime in Gotham. And ensured Gotham wouldn't need a Batman at least in Bruce's and Alfred's eyes. Gotham is the safest it's ever been until Bane shows up. That's why the city looks the most normal of all the movies. It's the healthiest the city's been in a long time. That's what I got from the different looks of Gotham in each film

But you make a good point as well.

Elevator Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:01 PM   #454
Chance Jackson
Side-Kick

"Begins" mostly because of the Invisible Action, "Gantz" committed the same sin.

Chance Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:30 AM   #455
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

X2 - 7/10

The last act is underwhelming. Stryker's son (and the little girl he poses as) drag the movie down a little. Still good; I just don't like it as much as a lot of other people do.

X-Men: First Class - 6/10

I liked Fassbender as Magneto, the Blue & Yellow outfits, the training montage, and the Wolverine cameo. Everything else ranges from 'meh' to groanworthy (JLaw, Angel, Hellfire Club, Emma Frost, etc).

Batman '89 & Batman Returns - 3/10

They do absolutely nothing for me. I found them to be a chore to get through. I enjoy Batman Forever more. I don't think it's just because they're dated, as I enjoyed Donner's Superman films.

The Avengers. - 6.5/10

Great on first watch (9.5/10 for me), but I found that it quickly lost its luster on repeat viewings. Sometimes it feels like an episode of TV.

Thor (6.5/10) , Thor TDW (6.5/10) Cap (5.5/10), Incredible Hulk (5/10), Iron Man 3 (6.5/10), Iron Man (6.5/10)

I don't think the critic scores are overrated, as they're pretty much the same as mine, but a lot of fans hail the MCU as the second coming, calling it a home run, etc (except Iron Man 2, which they all hate; even though I think it's in the same ballpark as all the other movies).

I find these movies to be...okay. Thor's got a decent amount of heart and a sense of wonder with Asgard; but it lacks spectacle, and it feels like it's filmed on the same set as Supergirl. Thor TDW ironically corrected the spectacle problem but was lacking in heart and character development. Cap and Hulk were dull. RDJ as Iron Man was a revelation on first watch (probably around a 9) but the movie itself loses its luster after a while. I appreciated the 80's/90's throwback feel of Iron Man 3, but I found it to be surprisingly flat; it doesn't execute any of its emotional scenes very well and it also lost the spark that Favreau brought.

Last edited by FeedOnATreeFrog; 01-16-2014 at 03:45 AM.
FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:35 AM   #456
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squaremaster316 View Post
From a list I'm working on:

1. Instead, we get treated to, arguably, the biggest and most infamous Deus ex Machina ever utilized in the genre, if not from the very medium the source material comes from.

Superman flies around the Earth, causing the rotation of the axis to reverse and turn back time. The sheer number and scope of the holes and leaps of logic needed for this to work are insurmountable, and it also gives the brilliant emotional scene that preceded it the feeling of a cheap cop-out. A lesser film would have completely fallen to pieces after a plot twist this ridiculous, if it wasn't for the internal plot being as good as it was. Other moments, such as Superman revealing his inability to see through lead and the odd inner monologue of Lois during Superman's flying sequence are small problems that compound the overall detriments to the film.

It's impact on the genre cannot be denied, but, unfortunately, neither can its problems.
  1. I love STM, and surprisingly also MOS, but ever since seeing STM back in 1978, as an 8 year old, the resolution of the crisis has bugged me. Technically I'm not sure if it's a deus ex machina, as those are usually external to the characters themselves, but it's pretty much the same thing.
  1. Sad really, because other than this (and yes, the villains are exceptionally goofy and cliched, but they do fit the general tone of the film) STM is a wonderful movie, and deserving of its accolades. Still, this is the lamest ending ever.
  1. Even a slightly different version of similar events (e.g. he flies fast enough to travel back in time and stops the second missile) would have worked better.
  1. Good point though, that the internal plot is still so good, and the film has so much charm, that we can overlook this otherwise fatal flaw.
  1. It's almost like Mario Puzo created this great situation, and then couldn't figure out a way to resolve it.
  1. Say what you want about MOS, but even killing Zod made more sense than STM's denoument.

Batmannerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:42 AM   #457
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevator Man View Post
I thought the way Gotham looked in each film only reflected how much impact (or lack of impact before Batman showed up) Batman's presence had on it. In BB Gotham was corrupt and ugly b/c Batman hadn't existed yet. And his war on crime had only begun by the end of the movie. At the beginning of TDK Gotham looked more clean and less grim than BB's Gotham b/c of the progress Batman has made by ridding it of crime. His presence has made Gotham safer until the Joker shows up. 8 years later in TDKR the "Harvey Dent Act" managed to wipe out most of (if not all of) crime in Gotham. And ensured Gotham wouldn't need a Batman at least in Bruce's and Alfred's eyes. Gotham is the safest it's ever been until Bane shows up. That's why the city looks the most normal of all the movies. It's the healthiest the city's been in a long time. That's what I got from the different looks of Gotham in each film

But you make a good point as well.
That is a very interesting interpretation. I'm not sure if it was what Nolan was going for deliberately but that's certainly the way it played out on the big screen. Nice, very nice. I hadn't thought of it that way before, but it
makes a heap of sense.

I suppose that following your analogy by extension, in TDKR the army in the sewers is symptomatic of the fact that while Gotham looks safe and healthy, on the surface, its still rotting from within (e.g. the orphan's suggestion that there are no jobs), the rich are still rich, but there is discontent in the lower orders. Organized crime may be gone, but the city's social problems have not been addressed, which allows Bane to gain such momentum so quickly.

cheers.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:23 AM   #458
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Okay, after some replies to two very excellent posts here's an overrated movie from me.

Spider Man 2. I'm not saying it isn't a good superhero movie, actually I think it's borderline great, but I don't think it is deserving of holding equal status with the Dark Knight.

I'm not disputing the strengths of the film, in particular the action sequences, Molina's characterization of Doctor Octopus (a hard sell on the big screen), and Tobey Maguire as a truly likeable Peter that the audience can get behind (about a million times more likeable than Andrew Garfield, ugh, I was cheering for the Lizard to kick his ass).

There were two weaknesses that bugged me in particular:

1) the whole "Am I spider Man or aren't I ? " sub-plot, was really extraneous. There was plenty of story there with Peter's relationship with MJ, the development of Dr. Octopus, and the supporting players (JJ Jameson and the crew).
This particular sub-plot added a fair bit of unnecessary length to the film, but didn't really make me feel any additional sympathy for the main character.

Now if they'd given him a stronger motivation for wanting to quit, maybe it would
justify this amount of screen time being taken up. I can accept that part of Peter's psyche, and one of the reasons we identify with the character, is that he occasionally succumbs to self-doubts. That whole "Raindrops keep falling on my head" sequence, WTF ?

This is ignoring the fact that he's losing his super-powers, which are biological, not psychologically based, which doesn't make sense either. He's stressed out, so maybe his spider-sense doesn't work ( btw, Spider Man 2 did the best example of his Spider sense in the café, it's almost as if they forgot about it in SM 3), but his super strength and wall crawling, they're just part of him, he's not going to lose them because
he's tired and stressed out. But this is just a minor symptom of a bigger problem, the totally unnecessary subplot sickness.

2) The resolution of the final crisis. It's not as terrible as the "flies around the world to turn back time" of Superman the Movie, but it's pretty awful.
Actually, the whole fusion reactor thing in general was pretty terrible.
Let's pretend we know nothing about science, at all, but were awake during the movie.
A self-sustaining fusion reactor......so it's as hot, as the sun !!!! Even a miniature sun, if you were that close to it would be throwing out so much heat (yes, I know in the film it's contained by magnetic fields), but also light and radiation, it would still probably cook or blind anyone near it.

But let's ignore all that. You've got this miniature sun, and to put it out, you chuck it in the river......what happens next, it just sinks and disappears ??????
Well, what would really happen, ? Super-heated steam cloud devastates New York at the very least, or if insufficient to extinguish the mini-sun, it melts most of Manhattan.
Come on, there had to be a better way of resolving the problem.

Maybe this second point fits in the suspension of disbelief thread more, but I felt that it really undermined the ending. It would have been like if Peter and Doc Ock were standing next to a burning building and Ock had thrown a bucket of water onto the blaze, bucket and all, while still holding onto it - well, that's how much sense it makes.

CONCLUSION:
Otherwise a great film, but undermined by these weaknesses to the point at which it becomes unworthy of the high accolades it received. You're telling me a movie where they waste a quarter hour or so with the hero dithering about and they drowned a sun in the river, is better than Iron Man ?

Old 02-01-2014, 07:31 AM   #459
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Spider-Man 2 is imo the best Superhero movie. However those are legitimate criticisms and I generally agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedOnATreeFrog View Post
I don't think the critic scores are overrated, as they're pretty much the same as mine, but a lot of fans hail the MCU as the second coming, calling it a home run, etc (except Iron Man 2, which they all hate; even though I think it's in the same ballpark as all the other movies).

I find these movies to be...okay. Thor's got a decent amount of heart and a sense of wonder with Asgard; but it lacks spectacle, and it feels like it's filmed on the same set as Supergirl. Thor TDW ironically corrected the spectacle problem but was lacking in heart and character development. Cap and Hulk were dull. RDJ as Iron Man was a revelation on first watch (probably around a 9) but the movie itself loses its luster after a while. I appreciated the 80's/90's throwback feel of Iron Man 3, but I found it to be surprisingly flat; it doesn't execute any of its emotional scenes very well and it also lost the spark that Favreau brought.
I agree with this summation. Particularly the difference in the two Thor movies, (I enjoyed the first considerably more) and RDJ being great at first but having lost his luster as time has progressed.

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
CyclopsWasRight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:56 AM   #460
Squaremaster316
Side-Kick

1. 10. Incredible Hulk

In 2003, critically acclaimed film director, Ang Lee, attempted to make an ambitious film based on one of Marvel's more popular comic characters, The Incredible Hulk. During first view of that film, I was actually excited due to the fact that appeared to be taking inspiration from my favourite time of the titular character's existence, Peter David's 1985-1997 run, which gave us different, more refreshing, and more interesting depictions of The Hulk, such as Mr. Fixit and The Professor (Amalgamation of Bruce, Green Hulk and Mr Fixit) combined with many fascinating characters and storylines, the most infamous being the analysis of the Hulk's psyche. Unfortunately, he attempted to do this using the original Green Hulk as the subject of that film. If you were familiar with David's run, you might recall that he tended to stray from utilizing that particular version of the Hulk character as he was pretty simplistic in his depictions during his earlier run, making the supporting characters more necessary to maintain interest.

The result was a somewhat unique but ultimately disappointing and significantly flawed film that was given mediocre reviews by critics and was considered by the general audience as one of the worst films of the genre. Five years later they attempted to “Fix” the problems with a reboot. How did it fair?

Well, while some issues were tightened up, others were presented that tended to hurt the film and bring it down significantly.

The first issue is the fact that the main complaint that the first film didn't have enough action. I disagree with the lack of action, however, I can say that what action there was... was mediocre most of the time. Some exceptions include the scene where the Hulk rampages throughout the city, but, mostly, it's just Hulk transforming and running around. The new film improves on this with better action, but after a while, it becomes numbing as the Hulk is basically indestructible, and thus, is never in any real danger, similar to Wolverine, but less interesting of a character.

The second one was that the film wasn't enough like the live action Bill Bixby series...

People, that's a good thing! The old series was incredibly cheesy, maybe not quite on the level of Adam West's Batman, but it was close. Bixby was the saving grace of the series.

On the opposite side of the equation, is Bruce Banner. He spends most of the movie attempting to find a cure for the Hulk and running from the military. While Edward Norton is a better casting choice for the role of “Puny Banner” as opposed to Eric Bana's practically Batman-ish physique, his performance remains fairly one-dimensional. Just for the record, in my own personal opinion, I have never been particularly impressed with Norton's acting prowess over the years, the only role where I felt he was truly great in was the conflicted Neo Nazi in American History X. In most of his roles, he just portrays the same character with the same mannerisms. He never portrays a real sense of tension during the more dramatic scenes and fails to connect with me on a more relate-able level.

But the biggest problem with the film has to be the casting of Liv Tyler as Betty Ross. While she looks good on paper, the execution was atrocious. She displays nothing but a weak-willed, simpering, whimpering damsel with an extremely annoying voice reminiscent of Tiny Tim on the Ukelele, Bale's Batman makes me want to take a shot of Whiskey, scarf down a 72 ounce steak and smoke a Cuban, Tyler's makes me want to gouge my eardrums with a spork. She's apparently in a relationship with Leonard Samson, but that character gets immediately and completely shoved off to the side, never to be seen again after Betty meets up with Bruce. Trust me when I say that after listening to her opening dialogue that you'll be wishing she was still in her comatose state from the opening montage

William Hurt's General Ross is given very little to do in this film except stand around and watch others deal with Banner and his Godzilla-esque counterpart. He has virtually no interaction or words with Banner or his own daughter. The scenes with Bana and Sam Elliot in the Ang Lee film came off as much more palpable.

Tim Roth's Emil Blonsky is a soldier who becomes power hungry when he sees Banner transform. He also becomes the first recipient of the super soldier serum, which allows us to see the limits of what the formula is capable of bestowing. This is handled fairly well. However, the entire subplot of Bruce collaborating with a mystery man known as “Mr. Blue” to find a cure for the Hulk is not. After finally meeting up with the mystery scientist and receiving the cure that looks to actually work, he then allows himself to transform later on, rendering the entire subplot of the cure completely meaningless and a waste of screen time, trying to shoehorn in a Leader reference in a very clunky manner.

In short, Bruce gets chased, hulks out, and smashes. Repeat that for 2 hours and you have The Incredible Hulk.

Squaremaster316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:48 AM   #461
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

X-Men: First Class

I've seen this film get a ton of praise from comic book fans, and it was generally well received by the public. I just don't get it, this movie was terrible. The plot was loaded with contrivances. The dialogue was terrible. You could clearly see the narrative scissor marks where pieces of different first draft X-Men scripts were edited together. All of the characters who weren't Xavier, Magneto, or Mystique were completely wasted, the movie would have been exactly the same with or without them. Shaw's evil master plan was completely ridiculous and as he was just written as a one dimensional version of Magneto, the only reason he was entertaining was because Kevin Bacon is never not charismatic. And Xavier helped Magneto master his abilities though the magic of Hanukah. Because, you see, Magneto is Jewish and that's the one Jewish thing the writers have heard of.

That movie was an absolute mess and it baffles me that people like it, let alone list it as one of the beast comic book movies ever made.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:07 AM   #462
DOBSON10
Side-Kick

Spiderman 1
Spiderman 2
Iron Man 3
X-Men: Days of Futures Past
Superman: The Movie

Old 06-30-2014, 11:26 AM   #463
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton

The whole Iron Man film franchise. RDJ's Tony Stark acts more like RDJ playing RDJ then comic book Tony. Sadly, ever since the first film comic writers have even made comic act like RDJ big screen Tony.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:51 AM   #464
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Superman View Post
The whole Iron Man film franchise. RDJ's Tony Stark acts more like RDJ playing RDJ then comic book Tony. Sadly, ever since the first film comic writers have even made comic act like RDJ big screen Tony.
Tru dat !

Old 07-01-2014, 07:26 AM   #465
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

X-Men First Class
The Dark Knight
Iron Man

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
“At DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:00 AM   #466
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!

I have read this thread, and I've come to the conclusion that it's meant for people who don't like comic book movies, since nearly every single comic book movie is seeing as overrated, not that good, not even decent, incredibly flawed. It was certainly an interesting read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gu3ree View Post
This isn't to blame Cavill, but Goyer and Snyder, Superman doesn't manage to save 10,000 people. Superman doesn't come out as a big hero in the movie. He just seems to be there because he's pissed at General Zod. He isn't necessarily concerned about the people.
Naked Bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:50 AM   #467
GENERAL RAAM582
The Amazing Spider-Man

Iron Man
Superman
The Winter Soldier

GENERAL RAAM582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 02:00 PM   #468
webs
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked Bat View Post
I have read this thread, and I've come to the conclusion that it's meant for people who don't like comic book movies, since nearly every single comic book movie is seeing as overrated, not that good, not even decent, incredibly flawed. It was certainly an interesting read.
Makes you wonder what they are doing on this site..!

webs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:25 PM   #469
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

People can still like the majority of CBMs but find some to be overrated

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:27 PM   #470
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

CyclopsWasRight...is right.

Weirdest sentence I have written today.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
“At DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:21 PM   #471
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

^

Old 07-02-2014, 02:32 AM   #472
justanotherguy
Side-Kick

DFOP
First Class
Spider-Man 2

Obviously there is some overlap in thought here; I think Rami's trilogy in general comes down to if the viewer enjoys Tobey Maguire as Spider-Man/Peter Parker (and while we're on the topic, the whole "He's better as Peter and Garfield is better as SM" is dumb. It's the same character!)...after the first one I didn't enjoy at him. As matter of fact, I thought they went out of their way to make him look like a wuss. Garfield's movies might be less balanced, but he is a better Spider-Man. SM2 was a movie that had me laughing at it's absurdity. the train scene was knocked out my suspension of disbelief. Doc Ock was not really that villainous in the film and Harry was borderline camp. I felt like Sony was afraid of showing us a real dark villain. I had hoped for a real telling of Harry's madness or a truly evil Doc Ock, but instead I got a sympathetic Doc Ock and dull Harry.

FC/DFOP- The scene in FC where the young team is sitting around showing each other their powers and deciding on their own codenames was cringe-worthy....and Fox keeps making the same movie. DFOP was boring to me. There was no suspense. The stakes were incredibly low for a time traveling movie. As a matter of fact, all the OG X-Men had to tell Logan was "Hey when you see Charles, be sure and tell him about Kitty Pryde, so in case this fails we can do try again."

In the last 5 years the best comic book movies have been
The Winter Solider
The Avengers
Kick-Ass

Last edited by justanotherguy; 07-02-2014 at 02:49 AM.
justanotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:38 AM   #473
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsWasRight View Post
People can still like the majority of CBMs but find some to be overrated
oh, they definitely can. But they certainly know how to hide they enjoyed the majority of these movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gu3ree View Post
This isn't to blame Cavill, but Goyer and Snyder, Superman doesn't manage to save 10,000 people. Superman doesn't come out as a big hero in the movie. He just seems to be there because he's pissed at General Zod. He isn't necessarily concerned about the people.
Naked Bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:40 AM   #474
-JKR-
Side-Kick

As soon as I read the title, this came to mind:

Old 07-02-2014, 09:01 AM   #475
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JKR- View Post
As soon as I read the title, this came to mind:

I have to second that, it was a good movie, but some here act as if it was the greatest comic book film released into mankind when it was realy nothing special.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote