Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Old 07-30-2013, 11:15 PM   #126
A Necessary Evil
Stark Raving Mad

Default Re: Overrated Comic Book Films

Ghost Rider
The Punisher Movies
Jonah Hex

....because anyone praising them is obviously wrong.

Quote:
The little A-Holes that could.
ANE's hate for TASM2 is epic.
A Necessary Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:17 PM   #127
A Necessary Evil
Stark Raving Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
The Dark Knight Rises
Batman '89
Iron Man 3
Not so sure about TDKR & IM3. It seems the fans have turned on TDKR, and IM3 is a mixed affair on the boards, for the most part. B89 though, yeah I agree. Good movie, but not a great one.

Quote:
Old 07-30-2013, 11:31 PM   #128
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoix View Post
I don't recall any horrible writing in the slightest, it certainly didn't treat the audience like idiots (and how?), and there wasn't a single bad performance in the film. Sure, Marion as Talia wasn't very good, but she certainly wasn't bad.
You're right, she wasn't bad, she was horrible. I don't know what other way to describe, she can't act her way out of a paper bag.

As far as treating the audience like idiots, I'm talking about gems like:

"So you're the only one in the world capable of disarming this bomb?"

"yes"

Shoots irrelevant plot device character. Panic ensues!

Did Goyer write the script in crayon?

Old 07-30-2013, 11:34 PM   #129
A Necessary Evil
Stark Raving Mad

I think she was fine, sans her....death scene.

Quote:
Old 07-30-2013, 11:48 PM   #130
Thoix
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
You're right, she wasn't bad, she was horrible. I don't know what other way to describe, she can't act her way out of a paper bag.

As far as treating the audience like idiots, I'm talking about gems like:

"So you're the only one in the world capable of disarming this bomb?"

"yes"

Shoots irrelevant plot device character. Panic ensues!

Did Goyer write the script in crayon?
I disagree, she was not horrible. She was just fine overall except for her death scene which was pretty bad I admit.

How is that treating thr audience like idiots? Bane asked that to Patel and killed him to scare the citizens. *And how was he irrelevant? He was the only guy they could find to arm and disarm the fusion reactor as a bomb. His character had relevance.

Last edited by Thoix; 07-31-2013 at 12:08 AM.
Thoix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:06 AM   #131
def28
Side-Kick

X-Men
Dark Knight Rises

def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:26 AM   #132
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

I don't understand. Are these movies overrated among the fans or the general audience? If it's the former, then I don't think IM3 or TDKR count.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:43 AM   #133
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidwarrior View Post
You must not have paid attention.

He made a promise he didn't want to make because the man was dying, what would any of us do.

Then he kept the promise.

He stayed away from Gwen even so far as not going to to her Dad's funeral, he only decided to break the promise because of what Aunt May said to him. She said he deserves to be happy. After this key scene is when he decided to break the promise and see Gwen again.

Yep the dinner is the turning point for his character
It's very subtle but it's there, it's a tiny look on his face that says (and this purely what I took from the movie) 'I can do more with my power than search for my uncle's killer'.

spider-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:49 AM   #134
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlueWonder View Post
Spider-Man 1 was a film people have disliked over the years
This is coming from a Spider-Man fan so believe me when I say it's nothing personal but the first time I saw this movie I thought it was good not great and was surprised when it was praised so much by general audience and critics alike. The sequel however blew me away and I was surprised how much I was engaged by the plight of Peter. 5 times in the cinema, a CBM cinema record for me.

I feel exactly the same about Batman Begins, don't get the praise for this movie but the sequel (for me) is the best comic book movie I have ever seen.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:52 AM   #135
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude love View Post
I suppose this thread begins and ends with The Dark Knight. I have my problems with the film, but even objectively speaking the comparisons to Heat and The Godfather where idiotic.
Definitely prefer TDK to Heat. I think the comparison comes when two iconic characters (DeNiro/Pacino - Batman/Joker) sit and talk face to face. Now Heat, there's an overrated movie.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:31 AM   #136
henry_9305
Side-Kick

The Wolverine. It was good but far from great.

henry_9305 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:40 AM   #137
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoix View Post
I disagree, she was not horrible. She was just fine overall except for her death scene which was pretty bad I admit.

How is that treating thr audience like idiots? Bane asked that to Patel and killed him to scare the citizens. *And how was he irrelevant? He was the only guy they could find to arm and disarm the fusion reactor as a bomb. His character had relevance.
The whole plot is coincidental, The guy who designs this machine for Bruce just happens to be the only one who knows how to turn it into a weapon, and the only one who knows how to disarm it, and the bomb just happens to have a six month fuse, which lines up nice with Bruce's vacation in the hole, and they get back just at the last second to save Gotham. It's by far the most derivative plot line that Nolan has ever written.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:47 AM   #138
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry_9305 View Post
The Wolverine. It was good but far from great.
Yeah, but i don't think anybody is rating it that highly, i give it a score of 6, would be way higher if not for the last part of the movie

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:03 AM   #139
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
This is coming from a Spider-Man fan so believe me when I say it's nothing personal but the first time I saw this movie I thought it was good not great and was surprised when it was praised so much by general audience and critics alike. The sequel however blew me away and I was surprised how much I was engaged by the plight of Peter. 5 times in the cinema, a CBM cinema record for me.

I feel exactly the same about Batman Begins, don't get the praise for this movie but the sequel (for me) is the best comic book movie I have ever seen.
I'm a big Spider-Man fan too and when 1 came out it was my fav CBM film. It hasn't aged well and my rating for it has went down.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
The Sinister Six- The album
Doc Ock Green Goblin Rhino Kraven Mysterio
Featuring hits like "lol haters, we aint giveing up the rights" "Forget you, Sam Raimi" "Marc Webb aint my daddy" "Hey WB, we made a female superhero movie!"

Hitting a store near you in 2016!
Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:16 AM   #140
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Dark Knight Rises and Captain America get way more praise than they deserve.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:29 PM   #141
T"Challa
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
Dark Knight Rises and Captain America get way more praise than they deserve.
Captain America got a lot of praise? From what i recall, it was pretty much said to be a solid entertaining film. I don't seem to remember a mass of people claiming it to be one of the best ever or anything.

T"Challa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:14 PM   #142
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by T"Challa View Post
Captain America got a lot of praise? From what i recall, it was pretty much said to be a solid entertaining film. I don't seem to remember a mass of people claiming it to be one of the best ever or anything.
Half the movies listed here, don't get a lot of praise. Most of the MCU movies (aside from TA and IM) don't get a lot of praise.

Last edited by Ms. Marvel; 07-31-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Ms. Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:18 PM   #143
StarLord
Tech Noir.

Quote:
Maybe she wasn't the best character in TDKR, but Marion can certainly act.

StarLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:32 PM   #144
Thoix
Side-Kick

Quote:
The whole plot is coincidental, The guy who designs this machine for Bruce just happens to be the only one who knows how to turn it into a weapon, and the only one who knows how to disarm it, and the bomb just happens to have a six month fuse, which lines up nice with Bridge's vacation in the hole, and they get back just at the last second to save Gotham. It's by far the most derivative plot line that Nolan has ever written.
Pavel did not design the fusion reactor, he only found turn it into a bomb. I don't mind the the fuse or the time it takes Bruce to train and get back to Gotham because it was very well done. Besides from him escaping the pit he had 23 days to get back and save Gotham. Based on what shown in movie, he arrived back at Gotham with a few days to spare so it's evident he arrived before "the last second".

I can see we won't agree in the end, so I say we respectfully disagree and keep this thread on topic.

Last edited by Thoix; 07-31-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Thoix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:53 PM   #145
Snow Queen
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Whiplash* View Post
Maybe she wasn't the best character in TDKR, but Marion can certainly act.
Yeah, it's like people see one film and know how the actress can act. She was good in Inception, Rust and Bone, La Mome and A Very Long Engagement.

Snow Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:05 PM   #146
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

I know this probably goes without saying, but please keep in mind that everything I am about to state is purely my opinion and my opinion alone. I am not trying to pass them as facts or anything like that. I want to establish this in the first place because there is always one person that replies to a post like this with something among the lines of "Well, that's your opinion, not fact."

Batman (1989) - It is by no means a horrible film but it is nowhere as good as people make it out to be. I often see people sourcing it as one of the epitomes of CBM's or as a CBM masterpiece.

Batman Returns - I find this one to be somewhat poorly written yet it is sometimes looked at as one of the best things to come out of Batman in live-action.

Spider-Man 1 & 2 - Much like the Burton Batman films, they are treated as some of the best CBM's ever made and as the epitome of what can be done with Spider-Man in live-action. To me, the first Spider-Man film is just ok. Not a bad film but not even close to being the best superhero origin film or one of the best, as often people claim it is. SM2 is a vast improvement over the first one but I often see people saying that it is the TDK of Spider-Man. While I think it is a good film, to say that it is the TDK of Spider-Man is a stretch especially since, much like the first film, it has a lot of problems when it comes to the portrayal of Spider-Man and a lot of his supporting cast and villains. As Spider-Man films, SM1 and SM2 are by no means bad but I don't feel they do justice to Spider-Man that much. What I mean by that is that I feel people will watch them and get a "Wow, that was pretty cool" feeling from them as opposed to a "So this is why Spider-Man is such a great character and great superhero" feeling. There are several reasons to why I feel that - the origin being rushed just to get to the main story, Spidey's archenemy (GG) being watered down, the Death of Gwen Stacy being sorta done in the first film and being very watered down, Doc Ock turned into a sympathetic villain as opposed to the egotistical cunning genius, Peter being way too much of a nerd stereotype that he wasn't even in the 1960's comics, Spider-Man barely cracking any jokes (and cracked poorly whenever they are), MJ being one of the worst love interests in CBM history and Kirsten Dunst being horribly miscast, the Spider-Man No More story not being done that well, etc. Like I said, they're not bad films but much like Burton's Batman films, I feel that they're only propped up so high due to nostalgia and due to being released in a time when CBM's were made so rarely that people were happy whenever they got one at all.

Iron Man 2, Thor, and CA:TFA - Again, good movies but nowhere as good as people make them out to be. When people often talk about Marvel Studios, they often refer to all their films being on the same level of quality as Iron Man and The Avengers were. However, I don't find that to be the case. I find that one of the major reasons why these films are regarded as CBM masterpieces is due to them being in the MCU and being connected to The Avengers. These films have many flaws that people often overlook, flaws that people would have wanted to crucify Fox and Sony for if they would have done the same thing. Examples off the top of my head include radically changing Thor's origin and watering down the Red Skull. Nobody seems to mind that. But give Peter Parker a skateboard or water down the Lizard (who was still not as watered down as Red Skull was) and everybody loses their minds.

The Dark Knight Rises - Probably the most overrated CBM so far IMO. I always saw the film as being a bad sequel to BB and TDK, a bad Batman film, but an ok stand-alone movie. Yet it is seen as one of the greatest CBM's ever made almost on the same level as TDK. Never have I seen any CBM film that tries so hard to be intelligent and complex only to badly fail at it. On top of also completely ignoring most of TDK and a lot of parts from BB, it also has one of the most opposite-Batman messages I have ever seen in a Batman film. Despite all that, everyone puts it on a pedestal and sees it as a masterpiece, even more than all the previous films I've listed in this post.

Shikamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:24 PM   #147
StarLord
Tech Noir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham's Knight View Post
Yeah, it's like people see one film and know how the actress can act. She was good in Inception, Rust and Bone, La Mome and A Very Long Engagement.
I love Rust and Bone.

StarLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:32 PM   #148
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
I know this probably goes without saying, but please keep in mind that everything I am about to state is purely my opinion and my opinion alone. I am not trying to pass them as facts or anything like that. I want to establish this in the first place because there is always one person that replies to a post like this with something among the lines of "Well, that's your opinion, not fact."

Batman (1989) - It is by no means a horrible film but it is nowhere as good as people make it out to be. I often see people sourcing it as one of the epitomes of CBM's or as a CBM masterpiece.

Batman Returns - I find this one to be somewhat poorly written yet it is sometimes looked at as one of the best things to come out of Batman in live-action.

Spider-Man 1 & 2 - Much like the Burton Batman films, they are treated as some of the best CBM's ever made and as the epitome of what can be done with Spider-Man in live-action. To me, the first Spider-Man film is just ok. Not a bad film but not even close to being the best superhero origin film or one of the best, as often people claim it is. SM2 is a vast improvement over the first one but I often see people saying that it is the TDK of Spider-Man. While I think it is a good film, to say that it is the TDK of Spider-Man is a stretch especially since, much like the first film, it has a lot of problems when it comes to the portrayal of Spider-Man and a lot of his supporting cast and villains. As Spider-Man films, SM1 and SM2 are by no means bad but I don't feel they do justice to Spider-Man that much. What I mean by that is that I feel people will watch them and get a "Wow, that was pretty cool" feeling from them as opposed to a "So this is why Spider-Man is such a great character and great superhero" feeling. There are several reasons to why I feel that - the origin being rushed just to get to the main story, Spidey's archenemy (GG) being watered down, the Death of Gwen Stacy being sorta done in the first film and being very watered down, Doc Ock turned into a sympathetic villain as opposed to the egotistical cunning genius, Peter being way too much of a nerd stereotype that he wasn't even in the 1960's comics, Spider-Man barely cracking any jokes (and cracked poorly whenever they are), MJ being one of the worst love interests in CBM history and Kirsten Dunst being horribly miscast, the Spider-Man No More story not being done that well, etc. Like I said, they're not bad films but much like Burton's Batman films, I feel that they're only propped up so high due to nostalgia and due to being released in a time when CBM's were made so rarely that people were happy whenever they got one at all.

Iron Man 2, Thor, and CA:TFA - Again, good movies but nowhere as good as people make them out to be. When people often talk about Marvel Studios, they often refer to all their films being on the same level of quality as Iron Man and The Avengers were. However, I don't find that to be the case. I find that one of the major reasons why these films are regarded as CBM masterpieces is due to them being in the MCU and being connected to The Avengers. These films have many flaws that people often overlook, flaws that people would have wanted to crucify Fox and Sony for if they would have done the same thing. Examples off the top of my head include radically changing Thor's origin and watering down the Red Skull. Nobody seems to mind that. But give Peter Parker a skateboard or water down the Lizard (who was still not as watered down as Red Skull was) and everybody loses their minds.

The Dark Knight Rises - Probably the most overrated CBM so far IMO. I always saw the film as being a bad sequel to BB and TDK, a bad Batman film, but an ok stand-alone movie. Yet it is seen as one of the greatest CBM's ever made almost on the same level as TDK. Never have I seen any CBM film that tries so hard to be intelligent and complex only to badly fail at it. On top of also completely ignoring most of TDK and a lot of parts from BB, it also has one of the most opposite-Batman messages I have ever seen in a Batman film. Despite all that, everyone puts it on a pedestal and sees it as a masterpiece, even more than all the previous films I've listed in this post.
Fantastic post, I didn't know about Thor or RedSkull

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Featuring hits like "lol haters, we aint giveing up the rights" "Forget you, Sam Raimi" "Marc Webb aint my daddy" "Hey WB, we made a female superhero movie!"

Old 07-31-2013, 02:55 PM   #149
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlueWonder View Post
I'm a big Spider-Man fan too and when 1 came out it was my fav CBM film. It hasn't aged well and my rating for it has went down.
RBW, did you like ASM?

Old 07-31-2013, 03:31 PM   #150
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
RBW, did you like ASM?
Look at my signature, I'd give it a 8 or a 8.5. On terms of quality it's probably the 2nd best Spidey but It's my fav as it's quite close to the comics and takes heavy inspiration from Ultimate Spider-Man which I adore and grew up reading!