The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 07-29-2013, 09:23 AM   #1
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Default Why hate FOX?

Personal opinions aside. X1,X2,First Class and Wolverine are all concidered at least good. It's not like FOX stole the rights off Marvel, they bought them fair and square. Why all the hate?

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
The Sinister Six- The album
Doc Ock Green Goblin Rhino Kraven Mysterio
Featuring hits like "lol haters, we aint giveing up the rights" "Forget you, Sam Raimi" "Marc Webb aint my daddy" "Hey WB, we made a female superhero movie!"

Hitting a store near you in 2016!
Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:33 AM   #2
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Default Re: Why hate FOX?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlueWonder View Post
Personal opinions aside. X1,X2,First Class and Wolverine are all concidered at least good. It's not like FOX stole the rights off Marvel, they bought them fair and square. Why all the hate?
Because I don't consider FF, FF:ROTSS, X3, XMO:W or FC good and haven't seen Wolverine yet so I can't comment on that.

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:34 AM   #3
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

I think it's MCU fanboyism

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Featuring hits like "lol haters, we aint giveing up the rights" "Forget you, Sam Raimi" "Marc Webb aint my daddy" "Hey WB, we made a female superhero movie!"

Old 07-29-2013, 09:38 AM   #4
Iron_Stark
Age of Ultron

Quote:
No, it's because they genuinely suck. Look at the movies they've made, look at the bastardizations they did with Galactus and Dr. Doom.

Guardians of the Galaxy - August 1, 2014
The Avengers 2 - May 1, 2015
Iron Man will return
Iron_Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:44 AM   #5
Zarex
Side-Kick

Because they are proposing a poorly thought out FF reboot soley to hang onto the film rights.

Zarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:48 AM   #6
Mr.M
Side-Kick

I think the buck stopped with Tom Rothman, and with him finally out, we need to reassess them fairly. However, I have no problems with them trying to reboot FF. It's a valuable property and you can't simply hand it over to Disney at this point. Of course we all know the property works better in the MCU, but that doesn't mean Fox will be completely incompetent this time around. But based on the track record, you shouldn't have any confidence, but again, it that was under the Rothman tenure. Maybe things have changed with upper management significantly since then.

Mr.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:49 AM   #7
SoNicRaDiATioN
warming the ocean cold

Another Fox bashing thread on the way.

I don't hate Fox. They've made great films and bad ones. They seem to have their house in order again and will challange Marvel Studios starting with DoFP.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:53 AM   #8
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Stark View Post
look at the bastardizations they did with Dr. Doom.
Oh yes, I will never forget THAT

ZWERG/ELF

Old 07-29-2013, 09:54 AM   #9
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Quote:
No, it's because they genuinely suck. Look at the movies they've made, look at the bastardizations they did with Galactus and Dr. Doom.
Same could easily be said for the mandarin. All 3 changed the character from the comics.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:23 AM   #10
Duke
Knowin is half the battle

Quote:
I totally agree with the above statement, plus the X-Men films were far from perfect imo too.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:37 AM   #11
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Same could easily be said for the mandarin. All 3 changed the character from the comics.
They did, but however you personally feel about the Mandrain you have to admit that the change served a purpose as a social commentary. The same can't be said about Cloudlactus or Norman Osdoom

ZWERG/ELF

Old 07-29-2013, 10:38 AM   #12
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Mandarin is hardly as important a character as Galactus or Dr. Doom.

Kahran Ramsus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:51 AM   #13
Teelie
Mostly Harmless

I have many problems with Fox, not the least to do with how they blatantly milk their franchises dry without regard to the quality of them. They aren't the only ones to do it, just the worst IMO.

Look at what they did to their non-comic franchises like Alien, Predator, Firefly, and several other series. They can pull off a great franchise at the start but then they slowly but surely degrade it in quality with sequels that provide less and less reason to even exist.

I don't hate them but I am not particularly fond of their method of running franchises into the ground either.

Teelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:38 AM   #14
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahran Ramsus View Post
Mandarin is hardly as important a character as Galactus or Dr. Doom.
To the wider Universe, no. To the character, yes. They had been building up to him from IM1

Old 07-29-2013, 12:23 PM   #15
Mr. Dent
Banned User

1. It's not Marvel
2. Fantastic Four
3. Fantastic: Rise of the Silver Surfer
4. X-Men Origins: Wolverine
5. X-Men: The Last Stand
6. Daredevil
7. Elektra
8. They've only made 4 good movies
9. They keep the rights away from Marvel just so they won't profit on it and wait till the last minute to do films like FF and Daredevil
10. It's not Marvel

Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:01 PM   #16
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Honestly, they can talk about how many characters the X-Men have all they want but they're still hobbled. There's a reason all these characters are lumped into "X-Men", because most aren't strong enough to have movie franchises. If Fox wants to continue getting diminishing returns for their attempts to put out a poor man's Marvel/DC Cinematic Universe, I will have fun watching them hobble. Off the top of my head, the only things that could work for them are:

Deadpool
Wolverine
X-Force
X-Factor
X-Men

There's literally no reason to give any other characters spin-off films. They'd be really reaching. Throw in Silver Surfer and FF to that too I guess, but Fox just can't utilize them fully since they're not in the MCU. FF can only be maximized in potential by Marvel itself.

The reason why this stuff works for Marvel, and is eventually going to work for DC once they pull their heads out their ass, is because they have multiple strong characters and properties who have all proven their worth by holding their own titles for decades. Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, Flash, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Guardians of the Universe, Justice League, Iron Man, Hulk, Captain America, Thor, Guardians of the Galaxy, Inhumans, Doctor Strange, Ant-Man, Daredevil, SHIELD, etc etc. All are strong characters and concepts who have years of proven worth. No individual X-Men character measures up to that besides Wolverine and Deadpool. When it comes down to it...X-Men is still just the X-Men.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:03 PM   #17
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
No, it's because for every film they manage to not completely screw up they half-ass three others just to make a quick buck or to retain rights. They lack respect for the properties and it shows.

But it wouldn't be the internet if somebody wasn't outright dismissing others as fanboys. Please try to put some actual thought into your post next time.

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:39 PM   #18
Destructus86
Side-Kick

1) Fanboyism for MCU. I don't deny it...they have something special going on there.

2) The FOX Marvel films are OK to good...but they never fully reach the potential they COULD have been if they had been part of the MCU.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:41 PM   #19
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

FOX is disliked because their track record is horrible. They are notorious for putting out cheap cash-ins and the studio has alienated many top filmmakers because of their micromanaging. Granted most of that was under Tom Rothman, and they have gotten better lately but it will take a long time of continually putting out good films to wash out the stench of the previous decade.

It goes beyond superhero films. This was affecting the entire studio. Check out what Ridley Scott had to go through on Kingdom of Heaven for starters. To dismiss this as a fanboy complaint is baseless because countless critics and industry employees that care nothing for comic book films have said the same thing. We just focus on the comic book ones because that's what this site caters too. The same thing was happening to most of their films.

It actually goes even beyond that. Their news and television divisions aren't respected either.

Kahran Ramsus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:38 PM   #20
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
No, it's because for every film they manage to not completely screw up they half-ass three others just to make a quick buck or to retain rights. They lack respect for the properties and it shows.

But it wouldn't be the internet if somebody wasn't outright dismissing others as fanboys. Please try to put some actual thought into your post next time.
Well a few here have admitted to it. I think for a few the fact that the X-Men can't play ball with the other heros has affected their judgement. People here act like FOX is the cinematic equivalent of the SS. All I'm saying is that we're too harsh on FOX and Marvel are not exactly guilt free either.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:02 PM   #21
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
They stole Viper.
I was willing to get over it before I saw the movie, but then I watched it.
They stole Viper.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:14 PM   #22
Mr. Dent
Banned User

They didn't steal viper. Marvel can still can her Madam HYDRA, which is the most important aspect of the character imo.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:52 PM   #23
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
They didn't steal viper. Marvel can still can her Madam HYDRA, which is the most important aspect of the character imo.
I hope Marvel still use her.
The Quicksilver situation is giving me hope.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:17 PM   #24
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

The thing is even their good movies are made in spite of them. The first 2 X-Men movies were good. Now imagine if the studios hadn't fought Singer all the way. Imagine if they hadn't fast tracked Last Stand and First Class. So many missed chances to make great films killed by the studio.

They aren't a studio that cares about quality, about telling the best stories possible.

They want to make money off the X-Men name, not by making incredible X-Men movies. The only reason they are trying to change tact is because WB and Marvel have shown what quality movies can do at the box office.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:51 PM   #25
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Marvel View Post
I hope Marvel still use her.
The Quicksilver situation is giving me hope.
They'd have to find the right way to introduce Madame HYDRA into their universe. The way she is in the comics wouldn't work in the MCU for the most part. But I'm 100% confident they can use the name Madame HYDRA.