The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 04:09 PM   #126
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Default Re: "By The Goddess!": The Official Storm Discussion - Part 2

I think you are both right, to some degree. There have been big jumps in Storm's portrayal between the films (as well as changes in appearance), but Guard is right that they do have some sort of logical progression to them. After all, we are told that evolution happens in sudden leaps lol...

The character has definitely changed more than other characters in the series but I think it's because the writers/directors haven't really nailed Storm completely, so each movie has involved a certain amount of correction/refinement. But given the gap between the movies (in terms of release, and the fact it's never stated how long between the story of each movie), it's never been horrifically jarring.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier 7/10, Noah 3/10
Old 08-06-2013, 04:11 PM   #127
TheGoddess
Banned User

Storm just didn't take her crazy pills

End Thread/

Old 08-06-2013, 04:27 PM   #128
The Guard
Side-Kick

The main jumps in Storm's portrayal had to do with Halle Berry's screentime, and the level of powers and intricacy of them shown. The latter has more to do with an increase in budget and options as to what can be shown than a change in the actual character herself.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
Old 08-06-2013, 05:46 PM   #129
The Weather God
Returned

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
I think you are both right, to some degree. There have been big jumps in Storm's portrayal between the films (as well as changes in appearance), but Guard is right that they do have some sort of logical progression to them. After all, we are told that evolution happens in sudden leaps lol...

The character has definitely changed more than other characters in the series but I think it's because the writers/directors haven't really nailed Storm completely, so each movie has involved a certain amount of correction/refinement. But given the gap between the movies (in terms of release, and the fact it's never stated how long between the story of each movie), it's never been horrifically jarring.
I think it can be looked at logically, but it's never really explained. I could come up with a thousand ways to fill in the blanks but we're still not left with a direct answer in the end. Jean gets a boost in her powers and personality change and everyone sees that, but when Storm does it no one notices(I guess we can count Beast talking about her hair in X3). lol

That's really my point. It would be nice to get a little acknowledgment to stick with consistency. It's not really a big deal for me considering I loved X3 Storm and the changes made.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:51 PM   #130
The Weather God
Returned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
The main jumps in Storm's portrayal had to do with Halle Berry's screentime, and the level of powers and intricacy of them shown. The latter has more to do with an increase in budget and options as to what can be shown than a change in the actual character herself.
I suppose you're right, but you really can't justify it in the story with this excuse. lol

After thinking about it more I guess it was more of a natural progression than I originally thought. I mean in X3, her emotions were at an all time high and affecting the weather patterns. So I guess there is a good reason for her change in X3 at least.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:59 PM   #131
The Guard
Side-Kick

Here's a comparison of Storm in all three films. I don't really see how she looks drastically different beyond the hairstyle changes.

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/eht...jpg_230927.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weather God View Post
Slight is an exaggeration. She spoke with an accent and was nowhere near as vocal as she was like in X3. She was timid throughout the entire film. It wasn't just in her scene with Senator Kelly.
"Slight" is not an exaggeration in the least. You're welcome to your opinion here, but as an actor, and someone who is trained to recognize and use accents? It's a pretty slight accent that Halle Berry is using in X-MEN. Certainly not a full or a heavy one by any standard. Which is probably why most people don't even recognize that she used one and then abandoned it in X2.

Quote:
It wasn't just in her scene with Senator Kelly. Her demeanor was way more boastful in X3 compared to x1. It's not really that hard to see
I don't even know what you mean by "boastful". She's not been boastful at pretty much any point in this franchise.

Explain to me where she was timid other than with Senator Kelly in X-MEN.

Nothing about her initial appearance and rescue of Rogue and Logan suggests that she is timid. The next time we see her in danger, she's surprised by Sabertooth, and is less surprised or scared than she is clearly in pain and unable to breathe as he's choking her. She still manages to keep her composure and hit him with lightning. Next we see her with Senator Kelly. At no point, until Kelly falls apart, do we see her frightened, and when she is, it is a very reasonable reaction to the event. While Toad gets the best of her due to a surprise attack and unfamiliar skills and abilities, and it can be argued that she's not quite sure how to deal with him in the end, she's not really especially "frightened" in the Liberty Island sequence. And we all know how it all ends regarding Toad. Certainly not with timidity. And once asked, she doesn't exactly seem timid about using her wind powers to lift Wolverine, either.

So where is she timid in the film?

As for her not being as vocal in X-MEN as she is in X3, it's more an issue of less screentime and completely different subject matter in X-MEN than it is an actual difference in character between the two films. She has less opportunity to be vocal or angry in X-MEN simply because she's onscreen less and the subject matter doesn't call for it. When it does call for it, she is.

Throughout the franchise, she has been depicted as compassionate and quiet, really rather stoic unless she has something important to say, and occasionally angered by irresponsible behavior, usually Logan's.

But also, throughout this franchise, Storm has been vocal any time she feels strongly about something. Right off the bat in X-MEN, she didn't hesitate to confront and to tell Logan what she thought about his inability to commit to the X-Men or the mutant cause. She's also not shy about angrily confronting Magneto with the truth about his machine's end result in the statue.

Quote:
She spoke completely different and looked completely different. No accent, different eye effects, different hair, way more precision with her powers, and had shown leadership qualities. She was a completely new character.
I question if you even know what character IS if you think it's only down to how they sound and which eye effects are used when they summon their completely unrealistic storm powers.

And that last part is just an absurd statement to make in context.

She didn't speak completely different. She spoke more from film to film as the size of her roles increased, but she sounds very similar in X2 to what she was in X-MEN. Like Halle Berry, minus the slight accent she has at times in the first movie. She uses the same soft voice, the same cadence of voice, and the same mannerisms and vocal inflections. Because that's what Halle Berry does. She's not a great actress, and doesn't have great range.

Having watched the first three X-movies just the other day...her eye effects in X2 are actually the same effect we see in X-MEN. A slow turn to opaque white, with pupils showing up as white. Her eyes do flash in one scene X-MEN when she creates lightning to strike Toad, but that's clearly meant to represent the level of her anger and the intensity of the useage of power in that particular sequence. The lightning also crackles off her hair in that scene. Other than that, the eye effects don't appreciably change from X-MEN to X2.

In X3, her eyes whiten completely from the outside in the FIRST time she uses her powers, as she's clearing the storm. The second time she uses her powers however, her eyes turn white and opaque, much like the first two films, if perhaps a little brighter white. It's hard to tell the third time at the Grey House because it's a far shot of her when she begins calling storms. But when she spins in to strike Calisto, she has the opaque white eyes with white pupils, and you can briefly see her eyes "flash" like we saw in X-MEN with Toad before she uses lightning. And in the final battle, she again has the opaque white eyes with white pupils, and it looks like they glow when she uses the lightning against Callisto. All of which is very consistent with what we saw in X-MEN and X2 and the rest of X3.

So aside from one sequence in X3, when she's clearing a storm instead of summoning one, I'm not even sure where your issue with her eyes and eye effects is coming from, to be honest.

As far as suddenly showing leadership qualities? Storm showed leadership qualities right from the get-go in X-MEN. She's been depicted as a field warrior and a teacher since the first film. It's just that in X3, she takes on a more obvious leadership role due to the circumstances of the story.

There is really nothing to suggest she had any more precision with her storm powers in X2 than in X-MEN. She appeared to have the ability to create stronger storms, which could easily have just come with more practice. But nowhere in X-MEN does it say "Storm cannot create tornadoes". In fact, we see that she is capable of creating snow, fog, lighting, and strong winds. The best that can be said about the change in her use of powers in X3 is that we hadn't seen the same use of power in X-MEN. This is not a "change" in the character herself, or even in her abilities. You might as well complain every time a character uses their powers to do something different if it wasn't previously explained to you in dialogue.

In X3, she is definitely using smaller, more specific storm-based attacks, but that is effectively an improvement in her battle tactics and strategy, which makes perfect sense, because how does the movie introduce the X-Men? With them TRAINING to use their powers in the Danger Room. And she was clearly already able to do some fairly similar things, even in X-MEN and X2, in terms of creating targeted lighting attacks, being able to fly, making tornadoes, fog, windstorms, etc.

Quote:
Stop trying to make it seem like I'm trying to say she didn't have any consistent character progression throughout the three films. She's had that, but she's also had some radical and unrealistic changes between the three films as well. The character in X1 compared to X2 does not look like a natural progression of a person in several aspects.
You have yet to explain why they're "unrealistic" changes, or even that radical. You just keep saying that they are.

Which several aspects are those, exactly?

Quote:
No she wasn't. She was very angry, very defiant, and very outspoken.
Right, because the situations she was in demanded it from the character. Storm having a problem with Wolverine's irresponsible actions in X3? An extension of her original feelings for him in X-MEN. Storm being angry about the cure in X3? An extension of her being angry about hatred against mutants in X2.

Quote:
Xavier had to nearly tell her to can it at one point in the film.
Where?

Quote:
She was nothing like this in the previous two films. She could fight way better in combat and again looked very different from the other two film characters, and sounded very different than the other two character.
She sounded pretty much the same to me in X3. Same old soft voiced Halle Berry trying to sound angry occasionally.

Quote:
I guess you could justify the changes with your own opinion but that still doesn't indicate that there was one given. Therefore making these changes unrealistic.
Are you just ignoring the context her character is placed in when considering these "changes"?

Quote:
This suggest that it was only one and not another. She had radically different hair in each film
So? It's hair. It's white hair in all three films. What does her hairstyle have to do with her character's inner workings or motivations?

Jean has different hair in all three movies, too. Is she a different character in each movie?

Quote:
she had a radically different personalities in each film
Simply not true. Storm had a more fleshed out personality in X3. It is not however, radically different, as a personality, than what we had previously seen in X-MEN and X2.

Quote:
I'm well aware of how the character has naturally progressed through the film.
I see, so she has naturally progressed, but you still consider her personality changes "radical"? Which is it?

Quote:
However, you're trying to justify it with your opinion.
I'm justifying it with facts from the movies. Facts which you yourself appear to be confused about in some instances. My opinion has nothing to do with it.

Quote:
You make it out like we're bashing her role in the film. The changes were very appropriate to some degree, but it takes aware some of it's approach to realism.
Realism in what sense? That the lady who can create storms with her mind didn't stop in the middle of each film to explain to you why she can do certain things?

And if I'm right
Old 08-06-2013, 06:06 PM   #132
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

I dunno why but the convo between xavier and storm in X3 and when she looks up at the sky and changes the weather really annoys me I dunno why, maybe it forced

Old 08-06-2013, 06:06 PM   #133
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think it can be looked at logically, but it's never really explained. I could come up with a thousand ways to fill in the blanks but we're still not left with a direct answer in the end. Jean gets a boost in her powers and personality change and everyone sees that, but when Storm does it no one notices(I guess we can count Beast talking about her hair in X3). Lol
It shouldn’t have to be explained if you're capable of rational thought. Getting better at something is not an abstract concept. Most of what’s in the X-films isn’t explained in specific terms. They’re far more subtle than most superhero movies in that respect.

Jean gets a boost in her powers and everyone sees it because it’s an EXTREME change that has to do with her subconscious, not just her abilities.

Storm’s “boost” is that she can create a different kind of storm than we saw her do before.

It’s not the same concept. It’s Storm doing what Storm does. Create storms.

There was never a level placed on how powerful Storm could be in X-MEN. She only ever did what she had to do in a given situation. In X2, the scale of that is a little bigger, because the situations she’s in call for larger displays of power.

Quote:
I suppose you're right, but you really can't justify it in the story with this excuse.
Nor do I need to.

Because inherent in the character and the very concept of the X-Men is the idea that they do this on an ongoing basis. We are shown in X-MEN that they train to use their powers, and teach others to do the same.

So Storm getting better at what she does is simply that.

Her getting better at what she does.

Like any other profession or ability.

And if I'm right
Old 08-06-2013, 06:16 PM   #134
Crimz
Side-Kick

Seems like I will always find Halle's Storm terrible.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #135
The Weather God
Returned

Quote:
Here's a comparison of Storm in all three films. I don't really see how she looks drastically different beyond the hairstyle changes.

"Slight" is not an exaggeration in the least. You're welcome to your opinion here, but as an actor, and someone who is trained to recognize and use accents? It's a pretty slight accent that Halle Berry is using in X-MEN. Certainly not a full or a heavy one by any standard. Which is probably why most people don't even recognize that she used one and then abandoned it in X2.

I don't even know what you mean by "boastful". She's not been boastful at pretty much any point in this franchise.

Nothing about her initial appearance and rescue of Rogue and Logan suggests that she is timid. The next time we see her in danger, she's surprised by Sabertooth, and is less surprised or scared than she is clearly in pain and unable to breathe as he's choking her. She still manages to keep her composure and hit him with lightning. Next we see her with Senator Kelly. At no point, until Kelly falls apart, do we see her frightened, and when she is, it is a very reasonable reaction to the event. While Toad gets the best of her due to a surprise attack and unfamiliar skills and abilities, and it can be argued that she's not quite sure how to deal with him in the end, she's not really especially "frightened" in the Liberty Island sequence. And we all know how it all ends regarding Toad. Certainly not with timidity. And once asked, she doesn't exactly seem timid about using her wind powers to lift Wolverine, either.

As for her not being as vocal in X-MEN as she is in X3, it's more an issue of less screentime and completely different subject matter in X-MEN than it is an actual difference in character between the two films. She has less opportunity to be vocal or angry in X-MEN simply because she's onscreen less and the subject matter doesn't call for it. When it does call for it, she is.

Throughout the franchise, she has been depicted as compassionate and quiet, really rather stoic unless she has something important to say, and occasionally angered by irresponsible behavior, usually Logan's.

But also, throughout this franchise, Storm has been vocal any time she feels strongly about something. Right off the bat in X-MEN, she didn't hesitate to confront and to tell Logan what she thought about his inability to commit to the X-Men or the mutant cause. She's also not shy about angrily confronting Magneto with the truth about his machine's end result in the statue.

I question if you even know what character IS if you think it's only down to how they sound and which eye effects are used when they summon their completely unrealistic storm powers.

She didn't speak completely different. She spoke more from film to film as the size of her roles increased, but she sounds very similar in X2 to what she was in X-MEN. Like Halle Berry, minus the slight accent she has at times in the first movie. She uses the same soft voice, the same cadence of voice, and the same mannerisms and vocal inflections. Because that's what Halle Berry does. She's not a great actress, and doesn't have great range.

Having watched the first three X-movies just the other day...her eye effects in X2 are actually the same effect we see in X-MEN. A slow turn to opaque white, with pupils showing up as white. Her eyes do flash in one scene X-MEN when she creates lightning to strike Toad, but that's clearly meant to represent the level of her anger and the intensity of the useage of power in that particular sequence. The lightning also crackles off her hair in that scene. Other than that, the eye effects don't appreciably change from X-MEN to X2.

In X3, her eyes whiten completely from the outside in the FIRST time she uses her powers, as she's clearing the storm. The second time she uses her powers however, her eyes turn white and opaque, much like the first two films, if perhaps a little brighter white. It's hard to tell the third time at the Grey House because it's a far shot of her when she begins calling storms. But when she spins in to strike Calisto, she has the opaque white eyes with white pupils, and you can briefly see her eyes "flash" like we saw in X-MEN with Toad before she uses lightning. And in the final battle, she again has the opaque white eyes with white pupils, and it looks like they glow when she uses the lightning against Callisto. All of which is very consistent with what we saw in X-MEN and X2 and the rest of X3.

So aside from one sequence in X3, when she's clearing a storm instead of summoning one, I'm not even sure where your issue with her eyes and eye effects is coming from, to be honest.

As far as suddenly showing leadership qualities? Storm showed leadership qualities right from the get-go in X-MEN. She's been depicted as a field warrior and a teacher since the first film. It's just that in X3, she takes on a more obvious leadership role due to the circumstances of the story.

There is really nothing to suggest she had any more precision with her storm powers in X2 than in X-MEN. She appeared to have the ability to create stronger storms, which could easily have just come with more practice. But nowhere in X-MEN does it say "Storm cannot create tornadoes". In fact, we see that she is capable of creating snow, fog, lighting, and strong winds. The best that can be said about the change in her use of powers in X3 is that we hadn't seen the same use of power in X-MEN. This is not a "change" in the character herself, or even in her abilities. You might as well complain every time a character uses their powers to do something different if it wasn't previously explained to you in dialogue.

In X3, she is definitely using smaller, more specific storm-based attacks, but that is effectively an improvement in her battle tactics and strategy, which makes perfect sense, because how does the movie introduce the X-Men? With them TRAINING to use their powers in the Danger Room. And she was clearly already able to do some fairly similar things, even in X-MEN and X2, in terms of creating targeted lighting attacks, being able to fly, making tornadoes, fog, windstorms, etc.

You have yet to explain why they're "unrealistic" changes, or even that radical. You just keep saying that they are.

Right, because the situations she was in demanded it from the character. Storm having a problem with Wolverine's irresponsible actions in X3? An extension of her original feelings for him in X-MEN. Storm being angry about the cure in X3? An extension of her being angry about hatred against mutants in X2.

Where?

She sounded pretty much the same to me in X3. Same old soft voiced Halle Berry trying to sound angry occasionally.

Are you just ignoring the context her character is placed in when considering these "changes"?

So? It's hair. It's white hair in all three films. What does her hairstyle have to do with her character's inner workings or motivations?

Jean has different hair in all three movies, too. Is she a different character in each movie?

Simply not true. Storm had a more fleshed out personality in X3. It is not however, radically different, as a personality, than what we had previously seen in X-MEN and X2.

I see, so she has naturally progressed, but you still consider her personality changes "radical"? Which is it?

I'm justifying it with facts from the movies. Facts which you yourself appear to be confused about in some instances. My opinion has nothing to do with it.

Realism in what sense? That the lady who can create storms with her mind didn't stop in the middle of each film to explain to you why she can do certain things?
Really? You're going to go there with me? lol

This is NOT going to be a pretty reply...

Old 08-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #136
The Weather God
Returned

Quote:

I don't care what kind of acting you've done. The accent was VERY noticeable and most people knew she had one in the film, not to mention Storm herself is suppose to have one...

Quote:
I meant figuratively in her appearance and demeanor.

Quote:

The problem here is your definition of timid... It's not in her inability to speak or confront a problem, it's in how weak her character in as a whole. Her powers, her personality, and demeanor compared to her in X3.

but again, you're back to twisting my words into a form of bashing towards a character that I loved in the series... Keep up the good work with that.

Quote:
What is your problem? Why are you being so rude? Is it because you don't like my opinion that you feel the need to bash me directly? Grow up!

Quote:

She had an accent and then she didn't. That's speaking differently by definition. The only absurd statement is yours trying to argue against the definition. lol

Quote:

Quote:

Rewatch the movies again, they are different. We all know this. Stop trying to be so critical...

Quote:
OMG! When did I say I had an issue with it? Nice way to make assumptions and make it seem like I'm complaining... I am so not replying to you after this.

Quote:
A field warrior and a teacher does not equal leadership qualities. And I was talking about in X2 actually. X3 it seemed pretty obvious why she was teaching the team in the danger room. Scott was all but absent and she was the only one left...

Quote:
She was able to strike a lightning bolt with perfect accuracy into the church, channel 100+ tornadoes to target jets while flying the X-jet, but couldn't fly or use her powers correctly in X1. Stating that she "couldn't control it like that".

Quote:

Quote:

I've already stated them.

Quote:
She was angry before the cure was even revealed... If anything she had more things to be happy about.

Quote:
Where?
When they announced the cure on the television.

Quote:
Who cares what you think? This is my opinion.

Quote:
No.

Quote:

Pretty much. Yes.

Quote:
It is, and I'm not about to sit here and go around in circles simply because you disagree with me and nitpick every little detail in my post.

Quote:
In some areas, as I've said.

Quote:
I'm not confused about anything. You are.

Quote:
If it was a film not grounded around reality then this post would make more sense. However since it doesn't, I'll let you answer that question.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:56 PM   #137
The Guard
Side-Kick

You were right. It wasn't a pretty reply.

Quote:
I don't care what kind of acting you've done. The accent was VERY noticeable and most people knew she had one in the film, not to mention Storm herself is suppose to have one...
I never said it wasn't noticeable...I said it was "slight", to which you replied that this was an exaggeration. You're now making a completely different point and argument than was originally being discussed.

Quote:
I meant figuratively in her appearance and demeanor.
How does one "figuratively appear boastful"? And when did Storm, in X-MEN, X2 or X3?

Quote:
The problem here is your definition of timid... It's not in her inability to speak or confront a problem, it's in how weak her character in as a whole. Her powers, her personality, and demeanor compared to her in X3.
Well, my definition of timid is the dictionary's, and involves using the actual meaning of the word.

So maybe the issue here is YOUR definition of the word timid. I think you should look up the definition of "timid". Then tell me how she was timid in X-MEN.

Quote:
but again, you're back to twisting my words into a form of bashing towards a character that I loved in the series... Keep up the good work with that.
Yeah...no. I've said absolutely nothing about you "bashing" a character you love.

Quote:
She had an accent and then she didn't. That's speaking differently by definition. The only absurd statement is yours trying to argue against the definition.
But you didn't say she spoke "differently". You said "completely different"

Quote:
A field warrior and a teacher does not equal leadership qualities.
A teacher does not possess leadership qualities? Is this a serious statement?

Quote:
And I was talking about in X2 actually. X3 it seemed pretty obvious why she was teaching the team in the danger room. Scott was all but absent and she was the only one left...
In X2, it's apparent that she's doing pretty much what she did in X-MEN. Going out on field duty, except with Jean instead of Scott and the others. And teaching, including in the field. There's no "different character" present in her actions.

Quote:
She was able to strike a lightning bolt with perfect accuracy into the church, channel 100+ tornadoes to target jets while flying the X-jet, but couldn't fly or use her powers correctly in X1. Stating that she "couldn't control it like that".
As I recall, she wasn't actually specifically targeting the jets, at least not with any certainty. She was making tornadoes touch down along their path, and the jets were unable to avoid them eventually, whereas the X-Jet was.

There's nothing to suggest she couldn't fly in X-MEN. She just didn't do so. When she says "I can't control it like that", you have to consider the context of the conversation. Storm is pretty clearly talking about not being able to use wind to control Wolverine or someone else well enough to land him on the top of the statue with a small margin for error. But she clearly could control the wind with regard to HERSELF, because she herself was using it to hover in X-MEN.

What's this about not being able to use her powers correctly in X-MEN? When did that happen?

As for the rest, you just ignored every specific fact I pointed out, and replied with the debate equivalent of "Nuh uh!"

Fair enough.

And if I'm right
Old 08-06-2013, 08:10 PM   #138
TheGoddess
Banned User

You guys are too serious.

Lets us all rejoice and be happy our Goddess is coming to the big screen again.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:21 PM   #139
The Weather God
Returned

Quote:
You were right. It wasn't a pretty reply.

I never said it wasn't noticeable...I said it was "slight", to which you replied that this was an exaggeration. You're now making a completely different point and argument than was originally being discussed.

How does one "figuratively appear boastful"? And when did Storm, in X-MEN, X2 or X3?

Well, my definition of timid is the dictionary's, and involves using the actual meaning of the word.

So maybe the issue here is YOUR definition of the word timid. I think you should look up the definition of "timid". Then tell me how she was timid in X-MEN.

Yeah...no. I've said absolutely nothing about you "bashing" a character you love.

But you didn't say she spoke "differently". You said "completely different"

A teacher does not possess leadership qualities? Is this a serious statement?

In X2, it's apparent that she's doing pretty much what she did in X-MEN. Going out on field duty, except with Jean instead of Scott and the others. And teaching, including in the field. There's no "different character" present in her actions.

As I recall, she wasn't actually specifically targeting the jets, at least not with any certainty. She was making tornadoes touch down along their path, and the jets were unable to avoid them eventually, whereas the X-Jet was.

There's nothing to suggest she couldn't fly in X-MEN. She just didn't do so. When she says "I can't control it like that", you have to consider the context of the conversation. Storm is pretty clearly talking about not being able to use wind to control Wolverine or someone else well enough to land him on the top of the statue with a small margin for error. But she clearly could control the wind with regard to HERSELF, because she herself was using it to hover in X-MEN.

What's this about not being able to use her powers correctly in X-MEN? When did that happen?

As for the rest, you just ignored every specific fact I pointed out, and replied with the debate equivalent of "Nuh uh!"

Fair enough.
Your clear intent was to start a petty argument. Just look at the way you're nitpicking and being so critical in your post. Sadly those years are behind me. It's no wonder anyone bothers to take time out of their dayto reply to you... FYI: I understand the definitions quite clearly and know what I said to you before. I will not waste another second on the subject. Say what you will...

Old 08-07-2013, 01:45 AM   #140
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

I never cared about hair or power progression between movies. I thought her evolution from X1 to X2 was pretty natural (save for the accent). But from X2 to X3? Yeah, they completely screwed with the character. The scene where they announce the cure (with X, Beast, Wolvie and then Rogue) is the epitome of what the writers did with (to?) her.

In X3 she was yelling all the time, she was overly defiant, provocatively ignoring X's calm advice, she never became a proper leader (again, the speech before the climax belonged to her, not Logan. If one X-movie f**ked the characters in favor of Logan in terms of role importance, it was X3, not X1-2, not by a long shot).

Her drastic hair change from X2 to X3 is not important on its own (it's f**kin' hair), but it was a visual cherry on top of the drastic changes they did with Storm. She never actually became a guhrl, but I understand what people mean when they say that. She went from a calm force to being a very obnoxious individual.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:07 AM   #141
Mars123
Side-Kick

On the point about the scene in x1 with the senator,

It's an interesting look at the relationship between mutant and human, to be fair, Kelly looked gross and it gave us a little glimpse into the character of storm.

I don't think timid, but maybe sensitive to a dying human,mand honest!

Old 08-07-2013, 06:27 AM   #142
NanaT
X-Men United!

Storm is looking fierce in that new leaked image. Love it!

- PROFESSOR CHARLES XAVIER
Old 08-07-2013, 06:43 AM   #143
Mars123
Side-Kick

Loooovvvvvveeee stttooooooorrrmmmmmmmm!! Can you tell?!

Old 08-07-2013, 06:53 AM   #144
ALittlePush
Side-Kick

I don't like Storm's haircut for the new film, I think it makes her look a little mannish.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:12 AM   #145
Crimz
Side-Kick

She looks like a Grandma to me.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:31 PM   #146
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

I'm not gonna complain about her look and that shirt underneath her costume but... I'm just happy that we will see Storm again and I hope this is just the start of the many X-Men films with Storm in the future.

Hugh Jackman - Halle Berry - Ian McKellen - Patrick Stewart
Anna Paquin - Shawn Ashmore - Daniel Cudmore - Ellen Page
Old 08-07-2013, 10:53 PM   #147
Three_Inches
Side-Kick

Just wanted to highlight Halle Berry's acting chops and incredible range. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtLvNyDGUg8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6FDJAu5yMc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwfXJVjptt0

Old 08-08-2013, 12:43 AM   #148
BeholdMe
Storm Disciple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three_Inches View Post
Shes not the worse actress at all, but is def not the best or should i say there are women i think whom are better actresses than her. Every character i see her play just seems like Halle I never see her fully let loose and get into character its like she gives a little. My fav is Kerry Washington

Old 08-08-2013, 01:01 AM   #149
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeholdMe View Post
Shes not the worse actress at all, but is def not the best or should i say there are women i think whom are better actresses than her. Every character i see her play just seems like Halle I never see her fully let loose and get into character its like she gives a little. My fav is Kerry Washington
I agree in a sense. Black women have a hard time getting roles; Halle usually either develops roles herself or wins roles that are similar types where the character goes thru emotional trauma and hardships... like Losing Isiah, Monster's Ball, Things We Lost in the Fire, Frankie & Alice, etc.

She's tried to develop other movies that were not that sort of character. Nefertiti was one. Another was the true story of a teacher who ran for congress for her students. She was also going to make more of a "chick flick" in Shoe Addicts Anonymous, which would have been fairly different for her. These movies never got off the ground. It actually would be nice to see what she would be like in those kinds of movies to test her acting/charisma range.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:03 AM   #150
BeholdMe
Storm Disciple

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh8 View Post
I agree in a sense. Black women have a hard time getting roles; Halle usually either develops roles herself or wins roles that are similar types where the character goes thru emotional trauma and hardships... like Losing Isiah, Monster's Ball, Things We Lost in the Fire, Frankie & Alice, etc.

She's tried to develop other movies that were not that sort of character. Nefertiti was one. Another was the true story of a teacher who ran for congress for her students. She was also going to make more of a "chick flick" in Shoe Addicts Anonymous, which would have been fairly different for her. These movies never got off the ground. It actually would be nice to see what she would be like in those kinds of movies to test her acting/charisma range.
i completely agree I do believe that she has been pigeonholed into the type of role that she does,espiecally when every role featuring a woman of color goes to Zoe Saldana who is the worst actress ever in my opinion. I would have loooved to see the Nefertiti move that would be so awesome, I wish that they would make that. Its a shame women of colr get shafted and dont really get those great roles that they deserve. Seeing a different side of her would be a great thing, I just dont believe the hype at all for her acting chops,she seems very normal.

Closed Thread