The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 05:02 AM   #176
Double B
Side-Kick

Default Re: "By The Goddess!": The Official Storm Discussion - Part 2

It might look better without the fringe (a lot better!) but that is still one cheap-ass wig.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:12 AM   #177
Endeavor
Que bolá con el timbeque?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnDz0n3 View Post
looks like a wax figure.
Acts like one too...

Zing!

Old 08-09-2013, 10:58 AM   #178
Crimz
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavor View Post
Acts like one too...

Zing!

Last edited by Crimz; 08-09-2013 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Video didn't work
Old 08-09-2013, 11:01 AM   #179
Endeavor
Que bolá con el timbeque?

Can't see the video

Old 08-10-2013, 09:30 PM   #180
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

I think I've figured out why I've always struggled with Halle Berry as Storm: it's because since X2 they've always styled Storm to resemble Halle Berry.

Yes. That's it. 13 Years have passed. But I've just had an epiphany.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:33 PM   #181
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

In my mind I will always think of Angela Bassett as the true Storm in my mind. I thought of her voice when I read the comics when I was little and her physicality was always on point as well. She would have been tied with Patrick Stewart for most on casting had she taken the part as has been reported.

:o
Old 08-10-2013, 09:37 PM   #182
Lightning Strykez!

Angela is great. But she's not my ideal Storm either...although I wouldn't be nearly as dissatisfied with her in the role. For Angela, having a commanding presence as Storm would be effortless. Halle has to really work at it. It's almost as if she has to have her eyes white all the damn time to really look scary. Angela has eyes that would frighten your ass in their normal state.

Last edited by Lightning Strykez!; 08-10-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:38 PM   #183
Lightning Strykez!

Beverly Johnson was born to play Storm. Height, attitude, looks...*sigh*

And she was in her 40s I think when X-Men came out in 2000...I don't even understand how they didn't think of her.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:40 PM   #184
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

Vannessa Williams also was another I could see in the role as a child. This is not a slight to Halle. I love her and think she could change my mind a lot after DOFP.

But Dat Angela!

Last edited by jaymes_e06; 08-10-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:49 PM   #185
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymes_e06 View Post
Vannessa Williams also was another I could see in the role as a child. This is not a slight to Halle. I love her and think she could change my mind a lot after DOFP.
Oh, I love Halle Berry. She is...what we have. But I've loved Storm for 30 years now...and I just would've never put the two together. LOL

Growing up, I always envisioned THIS woman as the living, breathing embodiment of Storm.

Iman. Perfect Height. Gorgeous. Attitude. NATURAL ACCENT. Capable Actress.

*sigh*

Old 08-10-2013, 09:54 PM   #186
Lightning Strykez!

However, I'm not giving up on our Halle...

After all, we could've ended up with this...

See? We should count our blessings. Things could ALWAYS be worse.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:56 PM   #187
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

See we could have died in a car accident rather than just loosing all feeling in our legs...

Old 08-10-2013, 10:02 PM   #188
Lightning Strykez!

I'm loving the Wikipedia's recent update on Storm's powers:

Quote:
Weather control[edit source]

Storm is one of the most powerful mutants on Earth and has demonstrated a plethora of abilities, most of which are facets of her power to manipulate the weather.[79] Storm possesses the psionic ability to control all forms of weather over vast areas. She has been able to control both Earthly and extraterrestrial ecosystems on several occasions. She can modify the temperature of the environment, control all forms of precipitation, humidity and moisture (at a molecular level), generate lightning and other electromagnetic atmospheric phenomena, and has demonstrated excellent control over atmospheric pressure. She can incite all forms of meteorological tempests, such as tornadoes, thunderstorms, blizzards, and hurricanes,[80] as well as mist. She can dissipate such weather to form clear skies as well.

Her precise control over the atmosphere allows her to create special weather effects. She can create precipitation at higher or lower altitudes than normal, make whirlwinds travel pointing lengthwise in any direction, channel ambient electromagnetism through her body to generate electric blasts, flash freeze objects and people, coalesce atmospheric pollutants into acid rain or toxic fog, and, along with her natural ability of flight, summon wind currents strong enough to support her weight to elevate herself (or others) to fly at high altitudes and speeds. Her control is so great that she can even manipulate the air in a person's lungs. She can also control the pressure inside the human inner ear, an ability she uses to cause intense pain. She can also bend light using moisture in the air and her manipulation of mist and fog to appear partially transparent, and in later comics, nearly invisible.

Storm has also demonstrated the ability to control natural forces that include cosmic storms, solar wind, ocean currents, and the electromagnetic field. She has demonstrated the ability to separate water molecules into oxygen and hydrogen via electrolysis, allowing her to breathe underwater.[81] While in outer space, she is able to affect and manipulate the interstellar and intergalactic mediums. Storm can alter her visual perceptions so as to see the universe in terms of energy patterns, detecting the flow of kinetic, thermal and electromagnetic energy behind weather phenomena and can bend this energy to her will.

Storm has been shown to be sensitive to the dynamics of the natural world, and her psionic powers over weather are affected by her emotions. One consequence of this connection to nature is that she often suppresses extreme feelings to prevent her emotional state from resulting in violent weather. She has once sensed a diseased and dying tree on the X-Mansion grounds, detected objects within various atmospheric mediums—including water, and sensed the incorrect motion of a hurricane in the Northern Hemisphere and the gravitational stress on the tides by the Moon and Sun as well as the distortion of a planet's magnetosphere.[82] Storm can view the Earth as weather patterns, and is able to precisely recognize her geographic position through interpretations of these patterns.[83] Storm's mutant abilities are limited by her willpower and the strength of her body. Sentinels have considered Storm an Omega-level mutant on one occasion.[84]
Quote:
Storm has been described as having one of the strongest wills among the X-Men, making her highly resistant to psychic attacks especially in tandem with electrical fields she creates around herself. Telepaths have found it difficult to track her down and probe her thoughts. Several of these traits are independent of her mutant status and are a result of her ancestry. Also, when utilizing her powers, Storm's eyes turn solid white.[79]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storm_(Marvel_Comics)

Would love to see some of this in Days Of Future Past.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:34 PM   #189
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Iman would be perfect for Storm.

But if they have to replace Halle Berry, my pick would be America's Next Top Model hit maker, Tyra Banks!

"I wanna be able to touch people, Logan. A hug, a handshake, a kiss." - X3
*smiles* *walks away* - X4
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
Old 08-11-2013, 12:36 AM   #190
PoSeiDon
Side-Kick

Storm is a casualty of Hollywood, not Halle. Case in point, they cast Zoe Saldana, an Afro Latina, to play Nina Simone an African American blacker than I. They look nothing alike and will give Zoe a fake nose to get her to look more "black/ethnic" than she does.

Halle is and always will be more marketable than Angela because of how she looks. This is something Hollywood is known for, for decades. They'll cast lighter complected blacks over darker skin blacks any day of the weeks for major roles. America considers beauty not dark, but light skin black to white with non nappy hair!

If they wanted an African Goddess, they could have gotten any of them other darker sisters. And I wouldn't doubt that they auditioned or were offered the role and they turned it down. We'll never know most likely. I find it highly surprising that most actresses I hear people say should play Storm have very little acting credibility with one exception. That shows me some really don't care if Storm was played by a good/great actress, they just want her to look exactly like the 1 of many depictions of her in the comic.

And they would have given those same wigs to whoever played Storm is not Halle.

Halle in her 20s, Grace Jones in her 40s, and Robin Givens in her early 30s.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMzGaN5Sg3w

Last edited by PoSeiDon; 08-11-2013 at 01:36 AM.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:39 AM   #191
PoSeiDon
Side-Kick

Last movie I saw Iman in was House Party 2 back in the early 90s. Tyra Banks...omg Halloween with Busta Rhymes. If they were to ever play Storm, maybe they would have a line or two since neither of them are credible actresses. Storm would be like Mystique, the poser in the film who conjures up some lightening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Iman would be perfect for Storm.

But if they have to replace Halle Berry, my pick would be America's Next Top Model hit maker, Tyra Banks!

Old 08-11-2013, 12:44 AM   #192
PoSeiDon
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post

The character has definitely changed more than other characters in the series but I think it's because the writers/directors haven't really nailed Storm completely, so each movie has involved a certain amount of correction/refinement. But given the gap between the movies (in terms of release, and the fact it's never stated how long between the story of each movie), it's never been horrifically jarring.
I agree. They pretty much left every1 else alone except Storm. Her makeup in X1 and style of dress was perfect. They didn't go with that in X2, with her yellowish hair that changed styles in almost every scene. Hair hair was different on 2 different posters for the film as well. I think her hair was hip and more natural looking in X3. Again, the people who came up with this stuff dropped the ball. Like the X1 makeup test photos show, they were on to something, she looked great, but they didn't take that to film.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:57 AM   #193
PoSeiDon
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post

In X3 she was yelling all the time
I feel this is overkill. At which point during X3 did she "yell" at someone and all of the time? The only time she really yelled was at Logan when she saw Jean on the ground. She was forceful and upfront about how she felt, plain and simple.

The only person who looks like a comic to film persona is Patrick Stewart. James Marsden is not the huge/buff leader like Cyclops in the comics. He was rather skinny. Jackman is too tall, but whatever. Was Magneto that dayum old? They had to make some sort of body suit for Ian Mckellen. But people will just look right over those and just trash Halle. Fox Studios and even SINGER HIMSELF failed to capture the characters. But I give them the benefit of the doubt. He wanted more true to life characters, he did not and will not copy and paste them from the comics, in whichever universe people prefer.

Now about her accent, maybe Singer, the creative team, and Halle decided not to go further with the accent in X2. At the end of the day it was Singer and the creative teams fault. If Halle was struggling with it in X1, they should have just dropped it at that time. No other X character in that movie had an accent or showcased their cultural heritage throughout the series other than Nightcrawler. And if Singer REALLY wanted consistency, at all, with Storm's accent, hey, Fox is paying you so suck it up and do it better but...that didn't happen.

Byan Singers vision of the X-men was both a blessing and a curse!

Last edited by PoSeiDon; 08-11-2013 at 01:18 AM.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:25 AM   #194
PoSeiDon
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique'sbooty View Post
Also I'm still seething how ,she looked the most "exotic" and African in the first film. Halle would look like Storm so much more if they actually CARED about her appearance.

Things people don't notice about Storm in X-1,and this is something i observed from another perspective.

1.Halle had longer hair like comic storm
2.She was waaay darker.

3.Her Make-up was darker and more Storm esque, compared to later films where they went more lighter. She had purple eye shadow, purple tinted lip gloss to make her lips appear darker, her eyebrows seemed darker. She wore more tribal jewelry if you looked around her neck(beads ,chokers etc) Her clothing was much more ethnic(some of the patterns) little stuff like this would help so much. It makes me facepalm every time I think about it.

She was even taller in the first movie,because they kept her in HEELS.Where as the other movies she's wearing low cut boots and flats. Halle is 5'5,she is average height for a woman.She isn't too tiny or too tall. Storm is 5'10 in the comics,if they'd keep Halle is 6 inch heels like the first movie .that'd put her RIGHT at 5'10.

smh...

We could have had this all along

Instead we have...

PREACH MY BROTHER! Halle, when modeling, is just as Storm-esque as any other black/mixed actress mentioned in this thread. Its a shame for us Fox went with big movie/budget amateurs at the time and those who basically had a bland vision.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:39 AM   #195
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoSeiDon View Post
I feel this is overkill. At which point during X3 did she "yell" at someone and all of the time? The only time she really yelled was at Logan when she saw Jean on the ground. She was forceful and upfront about how she felt, plain and simple.

The only person who looks like a comic to film persona is Patrick Stewart. James Marsden is not the huge/buff leader like Cyclops in the comics. He was rather skinny. Jackman is too tall, but whatever. Was Magneto that dayum old? They had to make some sort of body suit for Ian Mckellen. But people will just look right over those and just trash Halle. Fox Studios and even SINGER HIMSELF failed to capture the characters. But I give them the benefit of the doubt. He wanted more true to life characters, he did not and will not copy and paste them from the comics, in whichever universe people prefer.

Now about her accent, maybe Singer, the creative team, and Halle decided not to go further with the accent in X2. At the end of the day it was Singer and the creative teams fault. If Halle was struggling with it in X1, they should have just dropped it at that time. No other X character in that movie had an accent or showcased their cultural heritage throughout the series other than Nightcrawler. And if Singer REALLY wanted consistency, at all, with Storm's accent, hey, Fox is paying you so suck it up and do it better but...that didn't happen.

Byan Singers vision of the X-men was both a blessing and a curse!
This is true. I feel that the way she was directed seemed to make her emotionless backstoryless. Like when she was knocked into the elevator (enclosed space) in the first film. What a nice way to show her claustrophobia and show her break down the "wax figure look" that she sported the entire film and really show some emotion. It was the first thing about the animated series that made me feel for her. She is so powerful but so fragile when Magneto enclosed her under some rubble forcing Rogue to save her. They could have shown her freak out and then take Toad out. I know there where budgetary issues but splurging on that scene would have made the film much more enjoyable IMO.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:38 AM   #196
darkangel
Side-Kick

I'm the only one here who likes Halle Bery as Storm..?

Old 08-11-2013, 03:27 AM   #197
Mars123
Side-Kick

I love halle as storm also

Old 08-11-2013, 03:35 AM   #198
Project862006
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymes_e06 View Post
In my mind I will always think of Angela Bassett as the true Storm in my mind. I thought of her voice when I read the comics when I was little and her physicality was always on point as well. She would have been tied with Patrick Stewart for most on casting had she taken the part as has been reported.
in hindsight i am glad they went with halle they would of had to recast angela a long time ago that woman is 54 years old now and looks it

halle still looks like she is in her 30's

Old 08-11-2013, 04:49 AM   #199
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoSeiDon View Post
Totally agree with all of this. None of the characters were really cast properly. It's pretty obvious that Bryan's focus was more on the story and the the only requirements for the actors was for them to do their job... not impersonate the characters. I would have preferred both but we got what we got and I've loved seeing it happen.

It was easy to accept the changes made to Rogue and the casting of Anna because that role was made meaningful right from the start. Wolverine gets to do everything awesome, so it's easy to love Hugh even though he's tall not short, handsome not gruff... and actually pretty softspoken. Famke and James got to portray people with actual feelings and Famke got all of that X2 sacrificing stuff.

Halle got the short end of the stick because the Storm character is so beloved yet so pointless on-screen. She's also a much harder character to portray physically and on top of that, the filmmakers gave her bad lines, bad wigs, tacky clothing, and not much help/encouragement on the accent. I know that Halle can do a good job, but she's not the kind of actress who will/can do it on her own. She needs a good team behind her and I hope that's the case in DOFP.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:08 AM   #200
BeholdMe
Storm Disciple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
in hindsight i am glad they went with halle they would of had to recast angela a long time ago that woman is 54 years old now and looks it

halle still looks like she is in her 30's
idk what your talking about because Angela Bassett still looks beautiful she does not look 54, so she can very well have continued to play Storm. Darnit how do you add pictures

Closed Thread