The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 05:05 AM   #301
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Default Re: Batman physique thread.

Even the muscle definition in the suit was for the most part trying to re-create the muscle definition that Cavill naturally had. They mostly did a great job of it save for the abs which sometimes look a bit blocky on the suit.

But yeah the suit was just showing what Cavill naturally had. There were no embellishments.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:08 AM   #302
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRkVeNgeanCe View Post
Personally I much like Cavill's physique for Superman above any of the other actors on that list, though I admit Jackman has been insanely dedicated to his physique for Wolverine and appreciate each one of them.
I would also easily put Cavill at No. 1. He created the best superhero physique ever, hands down, according to me. For the entire comic book genre, I would say he's tied with Butler from 300. So I would put the two Snyder boys first followed by Jackman for The Wolverine.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:49 AM   #303
afan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumcat View Post
Cavill's suit was not a muscle suit, it was a cast of his body and he filled out the suit. Snyder said he purposefully added a shirtless scene with Cavill to show the audience that the suit was not a fabrication and that Cavill's physique was actually like that.
I'm not denying Cavill's physique at all, he apparently put in a great deal of work to look the part, but the suit clearly had enhacements. No way could veins pop thru that material as they do on his arms; it's quite possible the abs are sculpted into that suit, and there is definitely shading to enhance the muscles. Reeve's suit had no enhancement what-so-ever and yet the pyhsique is clearly evident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumcat
I would also easily put Cavill at No. 1. He created the best superhero physique ever, hands down, according to me. For the entire comic book genre, I would say he's tied with Butler from 300. So I would put the two Snyder boys first followed by Jackman for The Wolverine.
Forgot about Butler, surely he deserves a spot. However of those on the list.....I think it's a tie between Jackman and Hemsworth for first place.

Last edited by afan; 10-10-2013 at 10:20 AM.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:19 AM   #304
Vid Electricz
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by afan View Post
I'm not denying Cavill's physique at all, he apparently put in a great deal of work to look the part, but the suit clearly had enhacements. No way could veins pop thru that material as they do on his arms; it's quite possible the abs are sculpted into that suit, and there is definitely shading to enhance the muscles. Reeve's suit had no enhancement what-so-ever and yet the pyhsique is clearly evident.

It's 100% obvious that they are padded and sculpted into the suit. Yes, Cavill's physique was extremely impressive for sure, there is no denying that. but the suit was obviously lightly padded in some areas and used to give greater muscle definition. The side by side pictures on the previous page prove that. Just look at the sharpness of the definition of his deltoids, triceps, forearms, etc. in the suit.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #305
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

The only blatantly obvious padded elements were the ab section of the suit which did not mirror cavill's natural abs and stuck out like a sore thumb to me.

I actually prefer the depictions of superman without the super-defined abs tbh.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:30 PM   #306
LordofhouseEl
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
The only blatantly obvious padded elements were the ab section of the suit which did not mirror cavill's natural abs and stuck out like a sore thumb to me.

And the biceps, in the suit Cavill gains a few inches to his bicep. And yes the suit would have looked better without those fake abs.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:57 PM   #307
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Contrary to what many believe, even Reeve's suit was padded in certain areas.

Here's an excerpt from Martin Lakin's Is it Silk? Is it Plastic? A Study of the 'Superman' Movie Costumes 1978 - 1987 featured on CapedWonder.com:

"In order to capture the look popularized by the comics, it became necessary to rethink the cape’s neckline and shoulder construction in order to avoid a limp drape. Therefore, the clever addition of a long flap to tuck into the back of the tunic was employed, while padding was added to the shoulders to boost their shape. As Reeve literally ‘grew’ into the role, the shoulder padding would visibly lessen during the course of filming."

Old 10-10-2013, 06:36 PM   #308
hafizbat
Side-Kick

Quote:

Old 10-10-2013, 08:51 PM   #309
hafizbat
Side-Kick

I would've preferred that Affleck trained with Mark Twight and Cavill, it would've been good competition and bonding time for them which might help in BvS.

But Rehan Jalali, Aflleck's trainer seems to be capable. After all, Affleck looked great in The Town.

This is him.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 10-10-2013, 11:40 PM   #310
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordofhouseEl View Post
And the biceps, in the suit Cavill gains a few inches to his bicep. And yes the suit would have looked better without those fake abs.
Those abs are from henry but a little bit padded I have to admit

Old 10-11-2013, 12:15 AM   #311
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by afan View Post
I'm not denying Cavill's physique at all, he apparently put in a great deal of work to look the part, but the suit clearly had enhacements. No way could veins pop thru that material as they do on his arms. Reeve's suit had no enhancement what-so-ever and yet the pyhsique is clearly evident.
Veins popping on his bicep through the suit is obviously a detail that was added because of the limitations of the material today.

The material is thick and would hide all the hard won muscle definition. But again, the suit was a cast of his own body, the exterior I mean, it was made to look like his own body.

If you gave the same treatment to Reeve, he still wouldn't look as good in the suit because then the suit then would be a cast of his own physique.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:20 AM   #312
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:

The abs are done ok. I think its very difficult to get the abs right on the suit, also because there is no suit which could show the actor's natural abs unless you put him in a tight wet t-shirt lol.

But I guess Snyder wanted his Superman to show abs even while wearing the suit. This was one of the few comic-booky things he did in the film. He did say that he liked the more muscular image of Superman as drawn by Lee.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:23 AM   #313
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMan of Steel View Post
Those abs are from henry but a little bit padded I have to admit
Yeah, Cavill has great abs but they couldn't be shown through the suit. So they had to slightly pad and create an approximation.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:27 AM   #314
Morbius
Living Vampire

Reminds me of this

Old 10-11-2013, 02:33 AM   #315
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumcat View Post
Yeah, Cavill has great abs but they couldn't be shown through the suit. So they had to slightly pad and create an approximation.
It was a poor approximation though.

It looked like a generic fake ab board was stuck under. The suit nor cavill really needed that. It was too close a throwback to the old schumacher rubber muscle suits with the ridiculously chiseled abs.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:49 AM   #316
Man.of.Tomorrow
Side-Kick

His arms don't look ANY bigger to me when he's in the suit as opposed to shirtless - yes they added in the vein and whatever to make it look more real and almost like a second skin, but it doesn't look padded to me at all.

The abs are a bit silly though, I will admit!

Old 10-11-2013, 09:33 AM   #317
Uroboric Forms
Your Move, Creep

I hope they fix the abs for the sequel, but otherwise I'd have to say the MOS suit is my favourite Superman suit across any medium.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:43 AM   #318
TheBat812
Side-Kick

The abs look obvious in photos but looked just fine in the film, imo.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #319
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

I never thought the abs looked strange in the movie.

I ask her during dinner, what's her top 3 favorite movies. If she doesn't list Star Wars as at least #2. I excuse myself to the bathroom and crawl out the window. :up:
Old 10-11-2013, 10:13 AM   #320
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

The abs are a poor approximation of Henry's physique is because they didn't know what he would look like. Don't forget for the shirtless scene Hank said he dehydrated himself for added definition, he didn't look like that the entire time.

Old 10-12-2013, 12:25 AM   #321
Afrobean
Side-Kick

Quote:
The suit nor cavill really needed that. It was too close a throwback to the old schumacher rubber muscle suits with the ridiculously chiseled abs.
The first Burton Batman in 1989 had ridiculously chiseled muscles too. They changed it on Returns before changing it back again in Forever, but Schumacher did not invent the muscles thing.

Also, it's a different story there too. Batman's muscular design was to make him look otherworldly while giving him bulletproof armor. Superman in Man of Steel, within the story, was not wearing armor or padding. Yes, the real costume had muscles padded into it, but the movie's logic had it that what we were seeing was supposed to be his muscles showing through the Kryptonian material in a way that no Earthly material can. The padding in the suit was a special effect to achieve the impossible, not an in-universe character feature like Batman.

Old 10-12-2013, 01:22 AM   #322
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbius View Post

Reminds me of this
Or this. We have come a far way from this.

Old 10-12-2013, 01:33 AM   #323
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafizbat View Post
I would've preferred that Affleck trained with Mark Twight and Cavill, it would've been good competition and bonding time for them which might help in BvS.

But Rehan Jalali, Aflleck's trainer seems to be capable. After all, Affleck looked great in The Town.

This is him.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
He has actually been a competition level body builder and trained other great action stars like Stallone too. And he is actually a pretty big name in the nutrition industry. Plus he's closer to Affleck's age so would understand his training needs. But the question is how closely can he be involved. Mark Twight oversees every single rep Cavill does. They'll probably be shelling out a lot of money to get Affleck with a similar access to Jalali.

Old 10-12-2013, 01:36 AM   #324
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBat812 View Post
The abs look obvious in photos but looked just fine in the film, imo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gohei_ View Post
I never thought the abs looked strange in the movie.
Yes. You can't even see the abs in the film. You can't even see the suit pretty much because he's constantly flying around at super speed in the movie. Very few shots where we actually see him in the suit just standing still.

Old 10-12-2013, 01:45 AM   #325
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean View Post
The first Burton Batman in 1989 had ridiculously chiseled muscles too. They changed it on Returns before changing it back again in Forever, but Schumacher did not invent the muscles thing.

Also, it's a different story there too. Batman's muscular design was to make him look otherworldly while giving him bulletproof armor. Superman in Man of Steel, within the story, was not wearing armor or padding. Yes, the real costume had muscles padded into it, but the movie's logic had it that what we were seeing was supposed to be his muscles showing through the Kryptonian material in a way that no Earthly material can. The padding in the suit was a special effect to achieve the impossible, not an in-universe character feature like Batman.
That's a brilliant post Afrobean. Superman is not wearing armor, it is supposed to be his own muscles. In Batman movies, weirdly, he designed his own armor and put abs on it. Though in the comic books, even Batman usually doesn't wear armor, and even his abs showing through his suit are supposed to be his own abs like Superman.

Closed Thread