The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 12:09 AM   #351
KillerMcQueen
Mildly sociopathic

Default Re: Batman physique thread.

eh, I'm more than fine with Batman potentially having a more intimidating presence than Superman, he is Batman after all, intimidating people is kinda what he does.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:29 AM   #352
Rorschach2012
$

They'll use camera tricks to make them closer in height, but yeah I'm cool with a taller Batman. Idk if Ben is able to get to the same physique level as Cavill though. The height will make up for that though, Affleck's a naturally bulky dude

Old 10-24-2013, 12:51 AM   #353
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
Michael Shannon for example who's only a little taller than Ben never looked puny next to Cavill despite being nowhere as ripped, mainly due to the fact he was taller and just appeared bigger in some instances next to cavill.
Shannon was wearing a traditional muscle suit. (I use the word traditional to distinguish it from the type of suit Cavill wore, which was pretty much tailored to his already muscled physique.)

Old 10-24-2013, 12:55 AM   #354
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Yeah but that was just there to give him a sense of definition. His natural frame and broad shoulders did the main job of making him look intimidating. Shannon is a physically intimidating man just from his natural state regardless of what he's wearing and that's evident in a lot of his other roles too.

I brought my point up due to some of the earlier convos about Affleck maybe not packing on as much muscles as Cavill will. He won't need to anyways if he uses his height in a way that Shannon does.

When you're more an every-man height you need the bigger muscles to make your presence more intimidating. Tom Cruise can probably lift more than Liam Neeson can but ask anybody who they find more intimidating?

Last edited by Bruce Malone; 10-24-2013 at 12:59 AM.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:08 AM   #355
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Yeah but that was just there to give him a sense of definition. His natural frame and broad shoulders did the main job of making him look intimidating. Shannon is a physically intimidating man just from his natural state regardless of what he's wearing and that's evident in a lot of his other roles too.

I brought my point up due to some of the earlier convos about Affleck maybe not packing on as much muscles as Cavill will. He won't need to anyways if he uses his height in a way that Shannon does.

When you're more an every-man height you need the bigger muscles to make your presence more intimidating.
I hear you.

Quote:
Tom Cruise can probably lift more than Liam Neeson can but ask anybody who they find more intimidating?
These days, I think most people would actually find Tom more intimidating
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
-- only because he's a creepy bastard

Old 10-24-2013, 01:33 AM   #356
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordofhouseEl View Post
Although the difference would have been minimal it would have still been a difference. Also aesthetic wise a lack of chest hair is more universally appealing.
I think there could have been another reason too why they decided to go with a hairy chest and that might have been to address a modern malaise of bodybuilding which is "man boobs". For many men, after a lot of training, their pecs get so developed that they start looking like boobs which is obviously not a good look and kinda a shame for all your hard work. Even Stephen Amell, who plays DC's Arrow on TV said he struggled with it and kinda reigned his chest workout a bit because his pecs were beginning to look like boobs.

Stephen Dorff, Cavill's co-star on Immortals said he did not train with official film trainers because many of the cast members were starting to get man-breasts. He might have been talking about Cavill who had a little bit of that going on.

Even for MOS, Cavill's chest was extremely well developed and he might have been getting some man boobs.

Again this does not mean the Cavill had flab, just that the pectoral muscle was a bit too well developed and starts detracting from the abs and other details of your physique. And Cavill is not the first man to have this problem and not the first actor too.

So for this reason, hair on the chest might be the perfect solution. It would completely neuter any "man boob" suggestions without him having to lose some hard-won size in the chest.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:47 AM   #357
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

I a new interview, Mark Twight says that out of all the actors he has worked with, Cavill worked the hardest.
https://www.qi-2.com/wissen/artikel/.../#.Umi8v_lBP0Q

Q: Which of the stars that you've worked with, was the hardest on himself?
MT: Without a doubt, it was Henry Cavill (the new "Superman"), he had to submit to 11 months of very hard work and then stay devoted to it.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:22 AM   #358
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumcat View Post
I think there could have been another reason too why they decided to go with a hairy chest and that might have been to address a modern malaise of bodybuilding which is "man boobs". For many men, after a lot of training, their pecs get so developed that they start looking like boobs which is obviously not a good look and kinda a shame for all your hard work. Even Stephen Amell, who plays DC's Arrow on TV said he struggled with it and kinda reigned his chest workout a bit because his pecs were beginning to look like boobs.

Stephen Dorff, Cavill's co-star on Immortals said he did not train with official film trainers because many of the cast members were starting to get man-breasts. He might have been talking about Cavill who had a little bit of that going on.

Even for MOS, Cavill's chest was extremely well developed and he might have been getting some man boobs.

Again this does not mean the Cavill had flab, just that the pectoral muscle was a bit too well developed and starts detracting from the abs and other details of your physique. And Cavill is not the first man to have this problem and not the first actor too.

So for this reason, hair on the chest might be the perfect solution. It would completely neuter any "man boob" suggestions without him having to lose some hard-won size in the chest.
People are far too critical of each other nowadays. If you endeavor to bulk up, "man boobs" are to be expected (on some level) when you work your chest. Unless there's some kind of abnormality in size, I don't see a problem as long as you've acquired muscle (and not flab). And, if you're looking for incentive, I think it's one of the body parts that women immediately respond to. Even Hayley Atwell couldn't resist touching Chris Evans' pecs during the filming of CA:TFA, and she's got.. erm..a pretty impressive chest of her own. So, if you bench press, just do so in moderation; and it's win-win.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:57 AM   #359
batfreakforever
A real fan

Yeah, some of you people have no idea of what you talking about when is comes to exercise, weight lifting. "man boobs"!!!! You have to be kidding right? Bench press in moderation is wrong to say. Man boobs are men with fat flabby boobs not what Cavill has.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:25 AM   #360
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

I never really understood the point of Superman being bulky.

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Batman Begins/4-Guardians of the Galaxy/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles

Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10 Guardians of the Galaxy - 9.5/10
Old 10-24-2013, 07:26 AM   #361
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

Quote:

Yeah...you don't know what "man-boobs" means.

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Batman Begins/4-Guardians of the Galaxy/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles

Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10 Guardians of the Galaxy - 9.5/10
Old 10-24-2013, 07:55 AM   #362
hafizbat
Side-Kick

As someone who's into physique building, this is quite unheard of to me. I have NEVER in my life heard of someone "bench pressing in moderation" or trying to not "overdevelop their chest" for fear of man-boobs...

Old 10-24-2013, 08:59 AM   #363
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkboy View Post
Perhaps it's not the correct term here but if you have really developed pecs like the above pics from Immortals it does look a little like boobs, even though it's muscle. Especially if you have "small" pecs and not very wide as some will have.

I ask her during dinner, what's her top 3 favorite movies. If she doesn't list Star Wars as at least #2. I excuse myself to the bathroom and crawl out the window. :up:
Old 10-24-2013, 01:24 PM   #364
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by batfreakforever View Post
Yeah, some of you people have no idea of what you talking about when is comes to exercise, weight lifting. "man boobs"!!!! You have to be kidding right? Bench press in moderation is wrong to say. Man boobs are men with fat flabby boobs not what Cavill has.
You're right. "Man boobs" is a term that generally refers to chest flab, however, you do have quite a few people out there who strangely use it to describe pectoral muscles. Listen here (a couple seconds after the minute mark): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZukGSgNd5A

Such is the nature of informal terms though; they tend to be used a few different ways and should generally be taken with a grain of salt.

Last edited by ArmsHeldOut; 10-24-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:40 AM   #365
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by batfreakforever View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkboy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hafizbat View Post
As someone who's into physique building, this is quite unheard of to me. I have NEVER in my life heard of someone "bench pressing in moderation" or trying to not "overdevelop their chest" for fear of man-boobs...
You can't have known bodybuilding much if you don't know this is a genuine concern for some men.

Here's Stephen Amell talking about it - http://www.**************.com/fansit.../news/?a=76527
Stephen Dorff talkng about it - http://www.vulture.com/2011/11/steph...immortals.html
Random bodybuilding articles talking about this - http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/callum15.htm
http://vonblancofitness.com/training...d-square-pecs/

Check out the forums of bodybuilding.com, there is lot of discussion about how to deal with this.

Old 10-25-2013, 03:41 AM   #366
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohei_ View Post
Perhaps it's not the correct term here but if you have really developed pecs like the above pics from Immortals it does look a little like boobs, even though it's muscle. Especially if you have "small" pecs and not very wide as some will have.
The shape of the pecs is also genetic. If you have rectangular pecs then you probably won't have the problem, but if you have round pecs like Cavill does, they potentially can look like boobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsHeldOut View Post
You're right. "Man boobs" is a term that generally refers to chest flab, however, you do have quite a few people out there who strangely use it to describe pectoral muscles. Listen here (a couple seconds after the minute mark): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZukGSgNd5A

Such is the nature of informal terms though; they tend to be used a few different ways and should generally be taken with a grain of salt.
Yeah there's stigma associated with the term "man boobs" and it is usually used to describe out of shape and fat flabby men. But like I said above, it doesn't apply to Cavill in that sense at all.

Old 10-25-2013, 03:41 AM   #367
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsHeldOut View Post
People are far too critical of each other nowadays. If you endeavor to bulk up, "man boobs" are to be expected (on some level) when you work your chest. Unless there's some kind of abnormality in size, I don't see a problem as long as you've acquired muscle (and not flab). And, if you're looking for incentive, I think it's one of the body parts that women immediately respond to. Even Hayley Atwell couldn't resist touching Chris Evans' pecs during the filming of CA:TFA, and she's got.. erm..a pretty impressive chest of her own. So, if you bench press, just do so in moderation; and it's win-win.
I ain't criticizing. Just proposing a probable answer to the user asking why did he not shave his chest.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:18 AM   #368
titansupes
Side-Kick

Quote:
I ain't criticizing. Just proposing a probable answer to the user asking why did he not shave his chest.
They talked about it somewhere. Possibly in the 'Making of' book. I think they said it was just because it was more masculine.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:52 AM   #369
D.P.
Banned User

Superhero fans: Overanalyzing molded abs.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:16 AM   #370
Man.of.Tomorrow
Side-Kick

Here's some new pics of Affleck from yesterday, looks like he's been busy getting into shape. Good to see, he's got another 4 months to go so I reckon he'll be in superb shape when filming starts.

Getting so excited about this movie now...

Old 10-25-2013, 09:12 AM   #371
third
Banned User

wrists.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:23 AM   #372
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

Wrists?

I ask her during dinner, what's her top 3 favorite movies. If she doesn't list Star Wars as at least #2. I excuse myself to the bathroom and crawl out the window. :up:
Old 10-25-2013, 09:52 AM   #373
Rorschach2012
$

Ben's looking pretty huge. He just looks ridiculously wide. He's going to look so good in the suit, I already know

Old 10-25-2013, 09:52 AM   #374
LordofhouseEl
Side-Kick

Lol the only thing that can be considered man boobs is gyno and Cavill is far from that.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:56 AM   #375
Rorschach2012
$

I always thought man boobs was the term used for when fat guys had fat boobs. Cavill just had crazy developed pecs . Especially in those Immortals shots

Closed Thread