The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 08:53 AM   #601
hafizbat
Side-Kick

Default Re: Batman Physique Thread

Does anyone have pics of how Cavill looked in street clothes a few months before his shirtless scenes in MoS? That might be a better comparison for Affleck at this stage.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:43 AM   #602
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMANIMAL View Post
well there you go...paint those bodies blue, gray or red and blue and you have a comic book accurate superhero
Haha that is exactly what Snyder did actually! For Watchmen, he had Billy Crudup portray Dr. Manhattan, but after Manhattan has his accident he basically turns into a god with the ideal male physique. So for that physique, Snyder used the first guy in my post - Greg Plitt - and scanned his body into a computer and moving and walking and doing all kinds of movements, colored it blue in the computer and put Crudup's head over his body.

But yeah these guys look like superheroes in real life, like right out of the pages of a comic book. If they were actors, they could have been cast in superhero roles.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:43 AM   #603
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise View Post
Going just by that pic he's already leagues (No pun intended) ahead of Kilmer, Clooney and Keaton.

I'd like to see him at least as big as Bale was in Begins though that might be a lot harder for him given his height and age.
Bale was strictly okay in BB. He was only 200 I guess, not huge or anything. And besides he was soft, very little definition. I think Affleck already looked way better than that in The Town so he will definitely exceed Bale physically.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:43 AM   #604
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperInfidelX View Post
Pretty much this. Batman is supposed to be at the peak of human conditioning. Although I've enjoyed watching some of the past Batman movies, I find it hard to grasp any actor who has portrayed him as in peak physical shape. To me, accurately representing the physicality is just as important as accurately depicting an accent or emotion. I'll be happy if he is as fit as Hugh Jackman was in the last Wolverine movie. I'll be very impressed if he gets in the shape of the pic I posted. Maybe it's not realistic for him, maybe it should be for the actor playing Batman. Just my opinion. Guess we'll just have to see...
I think Snyder really pays attention to these things - the physicality of the heroes and their physical appearance. He has already given us the most physically impressive Superman ever. I think he will do the same for Batman.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:44 AM   #605
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
Yeah, I also think Cavill might wear some lifts when appropriate.
They didn't make a big deal about Cavill's height. Even a military general towered over Superman and they didn't make any attempt to disguise it. So I think they will just ignore the height thing. Superman is the most powerful being in existence, doesn't matter if Batman has a few inches on him, he can still whoop Batman's ass.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:44 AM   #606
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafizbat View Post
Does anyone have pics of how Cavill looked in street clothes a few months before his shirtless scenes in MoS? That might be a better comparison for Affleck at this stage.
That is not the stage Affleck is at meaning he is not a few months before his shirtless scenes. Cavill shot his shirtless scenes in the middle of the production. Batman Vs Superman's middle of production will be somewhere around May so that gives Affleck another half a year to perfect things up.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:44 PM   #607
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumcat View Post
They didn't make a big deal about Cavill's height. Even a military general towered over Superman and they didn't make any attempt to disguise it. So I think they will just ignore the height thing. Superman is the most powerful being in existence, doesn't matter if Batman has a few inches on him, he can still whoop Batman's ass.
Very true...I hadn't noticed that because Henry still dominated the screen with his size and presence. Good point!

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #608
Kryptonian Warrior
We are Hunter Rider

I wonder, has it been said anywhere that the same guy who worked with Cavill might be working with Affleck as well? If not the same guy, surely the same company....Gym Jones.

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...n.php?u=230251
Old 11-20-2013, 01:06 PM   #609
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

I don't really follow the movie news, but I haven't seen it posted anywhere. They did a great job for Cavill, so if it is the same team then Affleck should be fine.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:38 PM   #610
TheBat812
Side-Kick

It's not the same guys training Ben as are training Henry. He's using his trainer from The Town.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:48 PM   #611
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

That's good enough. His trainer from The Town is great as well and he was freaking shredded in The Town.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:49 PM   #612
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Well I'm sure whoever he is using will get him into shape. I think he'll have the physique when the times comes.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:49 PM   #613
hafizbat
Side-Kick

Quote:
That is not the stage Affleck is at meaning he is not a few months before his shirtless scenes. Cavill shot his shirtless scenes in the middle of the production. Batman Vs Superman's middle of production will be somewhere around May so that gives Affleck another half a year to perfect things up.
I was under the impression that his shirtless scene, provided he even has one (very likely) can be anywhere in the shooting schedule, based on a number of variables. Theoretically, they can shoot his shirtless scene all the way at the end of the shooting schedule, which would give him the most time to hone his physique.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:18 PM   #614
hafizbat
Side-Kick

I'd be happy if Affleck looked something like this. No, not as massive as Cavill, but still quite muscular. Also looks like he can be nimble and agile while still muscular, which Batman should ideally look like.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:46 PM   #615
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
I was under the impression that his shirtless scene, provided he even has one (very likely) can be anywhere in the shooting schedule, based on a number of variables. Theoretically, they can shoot his shirtless scene all the way at the end of the shooting schedule, which would give him the most time to hone his physique.
Ah the vagaries of shooting schedule. If they left it to the actor to shoot the scene when he hits his absolute peak, there is no limit to that right? Even after 8 months the actor might feel that he can be more cut or bigger or whatever with more time. So mostly it is the schedule that is set and the actor has to turn up that day and deliver the best shape possible. The schedule has to be set for the availability of the location (very important) and the availability of the crew (also very important).

The most they can do is give the actor a good amount of time to get where he wants to or needs to. So yeah the shooting schedule is anyone's guess. I have heard many actors say they did not get enough time to train but some productions are considerate too. I believe Craig said they spaced his shirtless scenes in Skyfall carefully so that he could deliver the best possible shape for everyone of them.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:32 PM   #616
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Bale was strictly okay in BB. He was only 200 I guess, not huge or anything. And besides he was soft, very little definition. I think Affleck already looked way better than that in The Town so he will definitely exceed Bale physically.
You're severely downplaying Bale's physique in Begins. He wasn't soft he just wasn't shredded which is fine in my view, he still had that power built. Affleck's the Town built was pretty much Ben on a cut as i've mentioned, he didn't add remotely the amount of mass bale did. If you actually think of where Bale was coming from it might actually have been one of the most impressive on screen body transformations ever?

Bale was also the one who arguably started the trend of non previously muscular actors actually bulking up for their superhero roles too.

I'd honestly not mind a batman who doesn't necessarily looks like he is calorie counting to maintain his abs.

Pure beast.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:02 PM   #617
hafizbat
Side-Kick

^THIS.

Everything in this post is truth. People never give credit to what is, in my opinion, the most impressive physical superhero transformation. He went from disgustingly, dangerously skinny to this musclebound hero, and like you said, he was really the pioneer of getting the right physicality for a superhero role. Jackman, Hemsworth, Cavill, etc all came after.

I actually believe that Bale's shape in Begins rivals that of Cavill's in MoS. Before I get thrown out of here, watch this video.

From 1:15 to 1:45
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Before I saw this, I too thought Bale was ok, but not as impressive as the others. But damn, this video showcases his true body. He's both BIG and RIPPED. The definition in his back/shoulders/arms as he moves is excellent. I really think Nolan didn't fully showcase Bale's impressive body, all he got was a quick 2 second shot of him being trained.

While Snyder used Cavill's body as a big part of promoting the film, and Snyder put a lot effort into Cavill's shirtless scene, showcasing it in the most impressive way possible. If Nolan had the eye for visuals like Snyder did, I think Bale's physique would've gotten a lot more respect.

Last edited by hafizbat; 11-20-2013 at 09:15 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:18 PM   #618
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Here's the thing Bale at his biggest was actually bigger than cavil was for MoS. Bale was actually well over 200 lbs and started to trim down from that as filming progressed (the costume actually didn't fit him). Which is why he looks bigger in certain parts of the film than others. Which actually works well in the films narrative as he was barely getting any rest when he started to become batman and in those scenes he is less massive.

Cavill went through a process to really get the shredded look for the shirtless scenes where he was doing a lot of cutting and he was actually under 200, I think actually 195 lbs or so. The shredded look often superficially makes someone look bigger than they are. Cavill and Bale are both around the same height btw.

I think a superman who is constantly shredded "makes sense" as he's not really human but to expect a regular human like batman to stay constantly shredded is not something that should be a requirement. I want to see believable strength and flexibility first and foremost, which bale certainly had.

Old 11-21-2013, 12:04 AM   #619
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
You're severely downplaying Bale's physique in Begins. He wasn't soft he just wasn't shredded which is fine in my view, he still had that power built. Affleck's the Town built was pretty much Ben on a cut as i've mentioned, he didn't add remotely the amount of mass bale did. If you actually think of where Bale was coming from it might actually have been one of the most impressive on screen body transformations ever?

Bale was also the one who arguably started the trend of non previously muscular actors actually bulking up for their superhero roles too.

I'd honestly not mind a batman who doesn't necessarily looks like he is calorie counting to maintain his abs.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Pure beast.
Where he started from doesn't validate the result. There was a poll on the Misc Films board recently about the top 10 physiques for superheroes and I would never include Bale in that. But the production reports, they were calling him fatman because he was clearly holding a lot of water.

What we see in the film from him is decent size and ordinary definition. Many other people have done way way better than that. Muscle definition is equally important in a good physique. If the shape isn't there, how do you manifest the training.

People praise Bale solely because he was scrawny when he started but his physique itself was okay. I think it also helps that Bale is a massively popular actor and starred in a massively popular film series. But I personally really don't see anything special or commendable there.

Old 11-21-2013, 12:04 AM   #620
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
I actually believe that Bale's shape in Begins rivals that of Cavill's in MoS. Before I get thrown out of here, watch this video.
Huh?
Quote:
Before I saw this, I too thought Bale was ok, but not as impressive as the others. But damn, this video showcases his true body. He's both BIG and RIPPED. The definition in his back/shoulders/arms as he moves is excellent.
How is he ripped in BB? If that qualifies as ripped, what is this?

Old 11-21-2013, 12:36 AM   #621
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Where he started from doesn't validate the result. There was a poll on the Misc Films board recently about the top 10 physiques for superheroes and I would never include Bale in that. But the production reports, they were calling him fatman because he was clearly holding a lot of water.

What we see in the film from him is decent size and ordinary definition. Many other people have done way way better than that. Muscle definition is equally important in a good physique. If the shape isn't there, how do you manifest the training.

People praise Bale solely because he was scrawny when he started but his physique itself was okay. I think it also helps that Bale is a massively popular actor and starred in a massively popular film series. But I personally really don't see anything special or commendable there.
Again just because he didn't go through a hard-core cut process didn't negate how he actually appeared on film. Also the "fatman" jest was more to do about his overall mass including muscle not necessarily actual fat or water-weight. They didn't expect him to put on so much weight from his casting and the suit wasn't designed big enough.

You have to think of things relative to the character. I think Bale had the perfect look for someone who spent years just working on their core strength and wasn't particularly concerned about pure aesthetics or highlighting muscle definition.

Batman isn't an alien, a mutant, a super-soldier or a god, so you shouldn't necessarily compare his physique exactly to the other actors in those roles and what they achieved for their characters. I rather have Batman look like an MMA fighter rather than an underwear model ala bale in american psycho.

Bale was by far the best Batman physique out of all the prior actors and yes affleck does have big shoes to fill in that regards.

Last edited by Bruce Malone; 11-21-2013 at 12:39 AM.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:29 AM   #622
titansupes
Side-Kick

About the "Jesus, Christian. Is this Batman or Fatman?" thing, that was well before production commenced, so before the kind of shape he was in in that training scene. It was when he overshot the mark because he had to gain the weight asap and was genuinely fat. He leaned down to get to the point we see in the movie, just not to the degree someone like Cavill did.

Last edited by titansupes; 11-21-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:01 AM   #623
hafizbat
Side-Kick

Quote:
Huh?

How is he ripped in BB? If that qualifies as ripped, what is this?

This is just more ripped, I don't see how this pic invalidates his BB physique? He is clearly at a lower bodyfat (with much less muscle mass) which is why his abs are very defined. But his BB physique was perfect for Batman, and he did have definition, just not as much.

Like Bruce Malone said, Batman IMO would put focus on function first. His strength, power, etc would be more important than having fitness model abs. Bale in American Psycho didn't look like he could fight big thugs night in and night out. Bale in BB did.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:05 AM   #624
hafizbat
Side-Kick

Also, look at the difference in how he looked with clothes actually on.

He looked skinny as hell in American Psycho (despite his rippedness underneath), while he looks much healthier/stronger in BB. If it came at the cost of not having AS defined abs, but let him put on a lot more muscle mass, it was worth it.

Old 11-21-2013, 01:32 PM   #625
Cobblepot
Giant-Size Man-Thing

I weigh a good 210lbs and am pretty lean, I also am 6,1 feet tall much like Bale. I'm pretty sure his weight in BB was around 200.

Closed Thread