Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 07:42 AM   #251
def28
Side-Kick

Default Re: DOFP vs other 2014 ComicsMovies Thread [Buzz, BoxOffice and more]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
as I posted, X3 adjusted domestic numbers are 290. So no way DOFP will do just 200.

DOFP will do more than 300 on USA, be sure about that.
I don't think that's a sure thing in any sense. But it's not impossible. Depends on a few things. I have no doubt International will be huge. But very few films get to 300m domestic. Only two have this year and they have a big family audience.

Kind of a scary time for big budget flicks as well. Add the fact X-Men has never gotten to 300m even after a top rated film and I'm thinking DOFP will be around 250 domestic.

Last edited by def28; 08-19-2013 at 07:47 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:50 AM   #252
Angamb
Banned User

the buzz of this movie and combining casts factor are bigger than any previous x-men movie.

So thats why Im sure it will reach 300m.

If the first movie of Superman reboot can do 260, a huge movie like DOFP can do much more with heavy marketing. Of course, we'll have to wait for next year, but that's my personal bet.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:55 AM   #253
def28
Side-Kick

I still think 300 is a stretch with where the audience sits with the franchise at the moment. I'll give ya 275m. Which is still very impressive. Especially if the tone of the trailers are similar to the leak.

If this year is any indication American audiences are getting a bit overwhelmed with big budget movies being released every week. It has Cap, Spidey and Godzilla coming before it. Better then after it. But I'm cautious on the box office getting to 300m. I have no doubt it will do well but we will see.

Last edited by def28; 08-19-2013 at 08:04 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:55 AM   #254
BeholdMe
Storm Disciple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specter313 View Post
Lol^^ its true.
DOFP has the potential to be BIG, I just hope Fox knows what they are doing and market this film as well as they can. I also hope that its not like X3(eventhough I personally liked it),because if this films fails it very well may ruin the franchise.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:10 AM   #255
GenUsername
Side-Kick

Quote:
as I posted, X3 adjusted domestic numbers are 290. So no way DOFP will do just 200.

DOFP will do more than 300 on USA, be sure about that.
Adjusted figures mean NOTHING. Inflated figures tend to be used as promotion by businesses to boast about how popular a product was in the past. X3 came out 8/7 years ago and landscape has changed RAPIDLY. Fox don't have the same promotional resources they once had. It also looks like the franchise isn't as popular as it once was. Apart from spin offs there has nothing that kept the franchise in the public eye apart from the comics and a deadpool videogame. And if Star Treks US underperformance is anything to go by, the gap between sequels before they go stale is gonna shorten by 3 years to 2 in the States. Universal is paying attention, they have Despicable Me (Minions) and F&F getting a sequel next year.

Last edited by GenUsername; 08-19-2013 at 08:15 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:16 AM   #256
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Making 200 Million Domesticly while It would be better than Origins,First Class,and The Wolverine would be disappointment since Fox Is spending between
210 Million,what the last stand dost,and 237 Million,the amout James Cameron spent on avatar.

The best case sceniro would be DOFP to do 290 Million which Is adjusted number for X2's domestic box office.the adjusted number for Last Stand Is 291 Million.

I am not at all confident of it hitting 300 Million domesticly.

DOFP will be promated as event film.It's not going to be promated as first class 2.

Let's also remember despite all the online love for kickass It didn't help Kick ass 2 at all.And some were claiming man of steel was guranteed to hit 300 Million DOmesticly.

Unfortunly lately films I like are underperfroming while films I am lukewarm to are doing well.

The future of franchise depends on DOFP.And how it does will affect how much money Fox Is willing to spend In future.

Last edited by marvelrobbins; 08-19-2013 at 08:20 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:21 AM   #257
def28
Side-Kick

Agreed for the most part.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:22 AM   #258
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

It will depend on mainstream marketing. Comic-Con and viral websites don't translate to getting into the public consciousness.

This will need to be seen as an 'event movie', like Avengers, Avatar, Dark Knight, etc.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:23 AM   #259
Angamb
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenUsername View Post
Adjusted figures mean NOTHING. Inflated figures tend to be used as promotion by businesses to boast about how popular a product was in the past. X3 came out 8/7 years ago and landscape has changed RAPIDLY. Fox don't have the same promotional resources they once had. It also looks like the franchise isn't as popular as it once was. Apart from spin offs there has nothing that kept the franchise in the public eye apart from the comics and a deadpool videogame. And if Star Treks US underperformance is anything to go by, the gap between sequels before they go stale is gonna shorten by 3 years to 2 in the States. Universal is paying attention, they have Despicable Me (Minions) and F&F getting a sequel next year.
I get your point about the time gap.

But we are analyzing this movie like it was just another x-men movie, and the fact is that it isnt.

This is a huge reunion, and that will be a pivotal factor. Not only talking about fans and the net.

The general audience will see the cast this movie has and none will deny how impressive the cast is. Having many stars from hit franchises and tv shows. And if the sentinels action looks epic on all the trailers, casual viewers and action lovers will go to see this movie for all these reasons.

Thats where I think some fans are underestimating the potential of this event movie.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:25 AM   #260
def28
Side-Kick

I don't think 250-290m domestic is really underestimating though. That's giving it alot of credit for being a popular hit with audiences.
Especially when half the cast has been gone for 8 years.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:34 AM   #261
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

DOFP Is going to do very well overseas.

If DOFP can hit 250 Million domesticly and 250 Million overseas for 500 Million worldwide
that allows fox to save face and view DOFP as a sucess and X-Force remains on track for 2016.I may be underestimating the foreign box office.The Wolverine Is on track Internatialy to surpress Last stand's 225 Million International record so 250 Million Internationally may be underestaming It.

It's going to have to be heavily promated.Unfortunly unlike when trilogy or ever Origins
were released marvel will do little to help promate It.Inless I am wrong,which would be
nice to be wrong on this,so hopefully first full teaser In November and full trailer In
February.Fox would be smart to use the wolverine's DVD/Blu-Ray release to Include some kind of look at DOFP.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:40 AM   #262
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
I don't think 250-290m domestic is really underestimating though. That's giving it alot of credit for being a popular hit with audiences.
250 Million domesticly would allow them to be able to say DOFP Is most sucessful X-Men film and would be better than non Robert Downey JR MS films so far.And would say GA wanted to see return of most OT cast.

even In comics having wolverine as member of X-Men tends to sell better than his solo stories.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:44 AM   #263
Angamb
Banned User

Quote:
no actor has been gone on the public eye.

One thing is that X3 came in 2006, but all these actors are more known now than back in the day.

Everyone on the whole world know Hugh Jackman and Halle Berry, Lord of the rings and Hobbit fanbase know perfectly who is Ian McKellen, Anna Paquin is the star of True Blood, while she hadnt anything back on 2000-2006, Jennifer Lawrence is an Oscar winner and has Hunger Games franchise on her catalogue, Peter Dinklage comes from the successfull Game of Thrones, and most of the other actors are a bit more known now compared to some years ago.

All these actors together will have a big impact. more than some fans think.

and yeah 250-290 are great numbers, but this cast really could lead to something more than that.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:10 AM   #264
GenUsername
Side-Kick

Quote:
I get your point about the time gap.

But we are analyzing this movie like it was just another x-men movie, and the fact is that it isnt.

This is a huge reunion, and that will be a pivotal factor. Not only talking about fans and the net.

The general audience will see the cast this movie has and none will deny how impressive the cast is. Having many stars from hit franchises and tv shows. And if the sentinels action looks epic on all the trailers, casual viewers and action lovers will go to see this movie for all these reasons.

Thats where I think some fans are underestimating the potential of this event movie.
I'm not looking at it like "just another x movie" I'm looking at it like "it's another super hero movie". In the recent history of CBMs there has only ever been one movie that audiences saw just because of the actors and that was TDK with Heath Ledger (which we have to remember drew in crowds from people that weren't necessarily superhero fans.) and even then Ledger was playing the Joker (possibly the most well known fictional villains ever). I would say people saw Iron Man2/3 for RDJ as well, but the character by itself is still insanely popular, RDJ is now the face of that character, you take him out and part of the audience leaves. I would go as far as saying, look at transformers (which draws in a similar audience as CBMs, but a tad bit more family orientated) audiences don't care who you have in the movie just as long the recognisable Transformers/Superheroes do some cool s#!t..

Also the only reunion here that matters are prof X, magneto and Logan. Fox needs to count on a strong Ian Mckellan performance, strong enough to get some extra mention in reviews, and even still apart from some jokes on the big bang theory (which I'm pretty sure DC/Warner will cover in even more DC product placement next season) those characters just haven't been anywhere in the past couple of years, how are kids supposed to recognise them. Fox could aim all they like at an older audience but they only ever turn up for Siummer Cbm blockbusters if there is an insane ammount of critical praise and fanfare out. I would say storm could help play a part in the BO numbers as well but the character did nothing in the movies and Halle Berry has done nothing in the past 8 years. The idea of Combining the spinoffs with the main series is something that hasn't been done in a good while, but this isn't like combing Thor and Iron Man where the audiences were slightly different and the movies were incredibly different, the audience for First Class have most likely seen the previous Xmen movies, where is the extra "oomph" that is supposed to drive sales.
It's down to fox to make this look cool as hell, but with the US box office for Star Trek and Pacific Rim tells us anything, it's that "cool as hell" doesn't always lead to extra sales. Fox need to do something that completely changes how CBMs are marketed.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:20 AM   #265
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
250 Million domesticly would allow them to be able to say DOFP Is most sucessful X-Men film and would be better than non Robert Downey JR MS films so far.And would say GA wanted to see return of most OT cast.

even In comics having wolverine as member of X-Men tends to sell better than his solo stories.
Agreed. But The film will star the FC crew since it's been confirmed to mostly take place in the 70s. They are advertised as well. So who the audience prefers to see by the end of the movie will depend on their roles in the film. It's a joint effort in the end. But this film is not just relying on the OT cast, and if that is the major draw it may disappoint audiences in that respect. More then half the film will belong to FC.

It should just boost X-Men as a whole regardless.

Last edited by def28; 08-19-2013 at 09:29 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:25 AM   #266
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Critics- TASM2
GA - DOFP
WW Box Office - TASM2
Polls here - DOFP

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
I'm not a fanboy, I'm just an entusiastic Spider-Man fan...
Avvy by OriginalMiles
Old 08-19-2013, 09:27 AM   #267
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

if DOFP is a hit it will be because of both casts, and the benefits each cast will bring to this movie

Old 08-19-2013, 09:36 AM   #268
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

I can't see DOFP beating Spider-Man.
While the GA liked X2 and FC more than all the spidey films (yes even SM2) they did not make as much money as any four of the spidey films.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Avvy by OriginalMiles
Old 08-19-2013, 09:40 AM   #269
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlueWonder View Post
I can't see DOFP beating Spider-Man.
While the GA liked X2 and FC more than all the spidey films (yes even SM2) they did not make as much money as any four of the spidey films.
Please tell me your not using Rotten tomatoes user reviews to prove this point.

Those 3 are both widely liked with personal opinion being subjective. Difference is one has a bigger audience. This almost always leads to lower user ratings. Hence why Titanic and Spidey 1 are in the 60s/70s user rating with over 30 million reviews. While X2 doesn't even have 1 mil.

Last edited by def28; 08-19-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:41 AM   #270
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Critical or fan/GA reception doesn't matter at BO. Spider-Man 3 had a passable critic score but a mediocre user one. It still is the highest grossing spidey film to date. Spider-Man 2 got an amazing Critic score and a Great user one but it made the least amount of the Rami Trilogy.

Avvy by OriginalMiles
Old 08-19-2013, 09:49 AM   #271
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Critical or fan/GA reception doesn't matter at BO. Spider-Man 3 had a passable critic score but a mediocre user one. It still is the highest grossing spidey film to date. Spider-Man 2 got an amazing Critic score and a Great user one but it made the least amount of the Rami Trilogy.
Rotten tomatoes is not 100% accurate. And it's especially inaccurate in certain cases.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:51 AM   #272
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Quote:
Please tell me your not using Rotten tomatoes user reviews to prove this point.

Those 3 are both widely liked with personal opinion being subjective. Difference is one has a bigger audience. This almost always leads to lower user ratings. Hence why Titanic and Spidey 1 are in the 60s/70s user rating with over 30 million reviews. While X2 doesn't even have 1 mil.
Not IMDB as it is inFamous for it's trollish nature.
Spidey 1 though, unfortunately is known as a film that people have disliked over time.

Avvy by OriginalMiles
Old 08-19-2013, 09:54 AM   #273
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Quote:
Rotten tomatoes is not 100% accurate. And it's especially inaccurate in certain cases.
At the polls I've seen here:
TDKR being the weakest of the trilogy fits RT.
TASM being the 2nd best Spidey film fits RT.
of course the GA and here don't always agree but still.

Avvy by OriginalMiles
Old 08-19-2013, 10:00 AM   #274
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
At the polls I've seen here:
TDKR being the weakest of the trilogy fits RT.
TASM being the 2nd best Spidey film fits RT.
of course the GA and here don't always agree but still.
I wasn't really arguing that. I was arguing that a movie the GA prefers can't be really pin pointed when they are both extremely liked films unless there is extensive studies done. And even then it could very. So when you say the general audience likes X-Men more then the Spider-Man movies thats a hard case to prove.

Last edited by def28; 08-19-2013 at 10:03 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:03 AM   #275
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Quote:
I wasn't really arguing that. I was arguing that a movie the GA prefers can't be really pin pointed when they are both extremely liked films unless there is extensive studies done. So when you say the general audience likes X-Men more then the Spider-Man movies thats a hard case to prove.
Fair point. All I'm saying is that Spider-Man and Batman are so far the most profitable CB characters. So I don't expect TASM2 to make any less than the first.

Avvy by OriginalMiles
Closed Thread