Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 09:08 PM   #826
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

Default Re: DOFP vs other 2014 ComicsMovies Thread [Buzz, BoxOffice and more]

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
Exactly.

In addition, characters like Batman and Superman have been in the mainstream for decades, thanks to earlier serials, films and cartoons. Spider-Man is also well known and had an earlier live-action TV show starring Nicholas Hammond. As a kid, I had movable action figures ('dolls', basically) of Spider-Man, Batman, Robin and Superman as well as the Batmobile and Batcycle.

I also read the X-Men comics (and many other comics, from Marvel and DC) and loved the colourful characters, amazing battles and power displays and Claremont's clever inclusion of pseudo-science and real science into the stories (which gave the X-Men a touch of relatable reality). When a supercharged Polaris cut Krakoa loose from the Earth's gravity, Claremont's story included the actual depth of the crust (from surface to the core of the planet) in miles, and when Phoenix flew into a star he said it was like our sun and included the surface and core temperatures. He also had an excellent vocabulary and used words like 'eldritch' and 'supernal' that I had to look up, so the comic appealed to my interest/curiosity in science and English language as a young boy.

The underlying themes of discrimination, feeling/being different, may have struck a chord on a subconscious level but I don't remember them being a huge part of the appeal.

On the big screen, the X-Men films are more sophisticated than Avengers (which was basically just Transformers with superheroes instead of robots). Making simpler films with not much dialogue must mean a greater international appeal, because audiences overseas don't need to follow tons of subtitles - they just watch the fighting and explosions.

When I went to see X-Men: First Class at the advance screening, there was a guy behind me with two kids (I don't know who he represented but he and the kids were somehow on the guest list). He commented after the movie that the kids had all understood Avengers but had struggled more with X-Men because they were deeper films.

It definitely would be good for the series to move on from this discrimination/oppression thing a bit. Stories with Sinister and Apocalypse should allow that. No problem with it being part of DoFP, but after that it would be interesting to see other concepts developed too.
I agree to this entire post!

Hugh Jackman - Halle Berry - Ian McKellen - Patrick Stewart
Anna Paquin - Shawn Ashmore - Daniel Cudmore - Ellen Page
Old 10-16-2013, 09:39 PM   #827
Snikt
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
You know whats awesome? Both Avengers and X-Men. Getting sick of this AvsX ********. We have great quality movies coming from both studios right now with insanely talented actors and filmmakers that share and appeal to the same audience.

Days Of Future Past, Amazing Spider-Man, X-Force, Guardians Of The Galaxy, Ant-Man, Winter soldier, Bats Vs Supes etc. This is some very cool **** all around compared to 10 years ago. The future looks more promising then ever.
Bravo sir!!! My thoughts exactly.

It seems to be a crime on some of these boards to enjoy Marvel Studios' films and their Co-Produced films.

I loved the X-Men franchise; my favorite Marvel movie franchise. But I also loved the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Punisher: War Zone and I can even enjoy the Ghost Rider films.

And for the various people wanting every Marvel property back at Marvel Studios; remember just because they have the rights to it, doesn't mean it'll happen anytime soon.

Look at this: in 2014 we're getting Capt. America 2, X-Men: DOFP, ASM 2 and Guardians of the Galaxy. If Marvel had the rights to X-Men and Spider-Man, there's no way we'd be getting these four Marvel films next year.

And I'm predicting an awesome box office run for DOFP

Old 10-16-2013, 10:32 PM   #828
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Part of problem has been the all characters from Marvel have to be done at MS cwoad.It starts wars especilly for those who like X-Men films or Rami trilogy of spider or amazing spider-man.

We are getting 4 marvel films In 2014 and 3 In 2015.

X-Men,Spider-man,and even Blade helped pay the way for what has happened today with comic book films.

In early 2000's wasn't terrable time with first 2 X-Men films,Blade 2,First 2 spider-man films,Director's cut of daredevil,and Batman Begins.

Old 10-17-2013, 05:25 AM   #829
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Agreed. I'm looking forward to almost all. The whole Studio vs Studio and character rights crap over the last few years has sucked alot of fun out of the CBM community

Professor Xavier: I feel a great swell of pity for the poor fool who comes to that school... looking for trouble.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:20 AM   #830
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
You know whats awesome? Both Avengers and X-Men. Getting sick of this AvsX ********. We have great quality movies coming from both studios right now with insanely talented actors and filmmakers that share and appeal to the same audience.

Days Of Future Past, Amazing Spider-Man, X-Force, Guardians Of The Galaxy, Ant-Man, Winter soldier, Bats Vs Supes etc. This is some very cool **** all around compared to 10 years ago. The future looks more promising then ever.
You make it all sound so joyous and celebratory lol!

If only.

Disney and the horrible hardcore Marvelites have taken a lot of the fun out of what should be a happy time for CBM fans. Then we have people like GenUsername and Zarex going on and on about how Disney/Marvel wants to destroy the X-Men.

I'm not getting the same vibes you are.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier 7/10, Noah 3/10
Old 10-17-2013, 07:21 AM   #831
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
Disney and the horrible hardcore Marvelites have taken a lot of the fun out of what should be a happy time for CBM fans.

Those wishing the worst for non-Disney movies is what i hate most.

Professor Xavier: I feel a great swell of pity for the poor fool who comes to that school... looking for trouble.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:06 AM   #832
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:

If only.

Disney and the horrible hardcore Marvelites have taken a lot of the fun out of what should be a happy time for CBM fans. Then we have people like GenUsername and Zarex going on and on about how Disney/Marvel wants to destroy the X-Men.

I sincerely do not want to diminish the enjoyment of what is truly a wonderful time for those of us who grew up reading comic books. I like discussing what I perceive to be Disney's strategy regarding it's licensed properties and researching rights issues disclosed in online financial statements. I find business topics such as 2012's Daredevil reversion and 2013's dueling Quicksilvers to be endlessly fascinating. My preference is that Disney/Marvel and FOX make a deal to ensure future cooperation and collaboration, but I find the present uneasy alliance to be quite interesting.

Going forward, I will focus on the good from both the MCU and the X-Verse. Except for the FF rights, which in a just world should revert to Disney/Marvel immediately (unless FOX hires Tom Hanks as Reed Richards, which would be the most perfect casting ever in a Marvel film.)

Old 10-17-2013, 10:14 AM   #833
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Woah I actually really like that idea! Tom Hanks as Mr. Fantastic. Sadly it looks they Fox is aiming for a younger cast.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:39 AM   #834
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnDz0n3 View Post
Woah I actually really like that idea! Tom Hanks as Mr. Fantastic. Sadly it looks they Fox is aiming for a younger cast.
The idea was raised by another poster after a recent interview with Hanks in which he expressed his strong interest in playing a superhero or villain. I don't like the idea of FOX going forward with the FF reboot because I feel they team fits perfectly in the MCU and I don't like the "Fantastikids" casting rumors. But multiple Oscar winner Hanks as the Lee/Kirby Reed with greying temples, a pipe, and calling grown men "son"? I'd have to see that.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:46 AM   #835
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

People forget it would be very hard to get Tom Hanks to do sequel.It took a paycheck of 50 million to get him to do Angels & Demons.Yeah he did sequels to toy story but that Is different that's voiveover work.

with FF If MS were doing the same thing testing 20ish actors and apparently at least In part basing it on Ultimate FF there wouldn't be this reaction from some.

Some are ignoring virtully every marvel adaptians are taking some elements from Ultimate line.

Here is crazy thought if your fan of characters actully see film or find out about it before making judgements.I certinly didn't think I would call the amazing spider-man best SPider-man film.

Some of the die hard Disney/MS fanboys make claims it feels more at home there or we can have crossovers In avengers films.Really you care more about the FF,Spider-man
and wolverine being In Avengers films In cameos or at best supporting roles.As for it feels
more at home at MS shall I mention all the people who said they didn't think Daniel Craig felt like James Bond? when people say the wolverine was boring and wolverine/X-men would do better at Disney/MS I am like what?

In 2014 we are getting both a SPier-man and X-Men film In same Month! That would be a dream years ago but some will go "Well they aren't from MS/Disney so they will be crap"
and no matter how well DOFP turn out some will be saying when will disney be getting
the X-Men or Bryan Singer ruined X-Men for the 1,000 time.

I tried Shield on COmcast abc on demand first 2 episodes and wasn't impressed with It.
I am wery on Thor due to 1:My mixed reaction to first film 2:The fact they brought back the comic relief character of Darcy 3:My reaction to Iron Man 3.

My same gut which gave me a meh feeling on Iron Man 3 Is giving my postivave reaction to what I have been hearing on Captain America:The Winter Soldier.And after this past
summer when it comes to spending money on movies i am trusting my gut more.Especilly If i am going to pay for 3-d like i did with man of steel and The Wolverine.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:59 AM   #836
T"Challa
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
People forget it would be very hard to get Tom Hanks to do sequel.It took a paycheck of 50 million to get him to do Angels & Demons.Yeah he did sequels to toy story but that Is different that's voiveover work.

with FF If MS were doing the same thing testing 20ish actors and apparently at least In part basing it on Ultimate FF there wouldn't be this reaction from some.

Some are ignoring virtully every marvel adaptians are taking some elements from Ultimate line.

Here is crazy thought if your fan of characters actully see film or find out about it before making judgements.I certinly didn't think I would call the amazing spider-man best SPider-man film.

Some of the die hard Disney/MS fanboys make claims it feels more at home there or we can have crossovers In avengers films.Really you care more about the FF,Spider-man
and wolverine being In Avengers films In cameos or at best supporting roles.As for it feels
more at home at MS shall I mention all the people who said they didn't think Daniel Craig felt like James Bond? when people say the wolverine was boring and wolverine/X-men would do better at Disney/MS I am like what?

In 2014 we are getting both a SPier-man and X-Men film In same Month! That would be a dream years ago but some will go "Well they aren't from MS/Disney so they will be crap"
and no matter how well DOFP turn out some will be saying when will disney be getting
the X-Men or Bryan Singer ruined X-Men for the 1,000 time.

I tried Shield on COmcast abc on demand first 2 episodes and wasn't impressed with It.
I am wery on Thor due to 1:My mixed reaction to first film 2:The fact they brought back the comic relief character of Darcy 3:My reaction to Iron Man 3.

My same gut which gave me a meh feeling on Iron Man 3 Is giving my postivave reaction to what I have been hearing on Captain America:The Winter Soldier.And after this past
summer when it comes to spending money on movies i am trusting my gut more.Especilly If i am going to pay for 3-d like i did with man of steel and The Wolverine.
For all your complaining about 'Disney/MS' fanboys, you do a lot of the things they do. The very same things you claim to despise.

1. The Avengers 2. The Dark Knight 3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier . 4.Spiderman 2 5. X2: X Men United. 6. Iron Man 7. Batman Begins. 8. X-Men: First Class[/B] 9. Captain America: The First Avenger 10. Superman: The Movie
Old 10-17-2013, 12:35 PM   #837
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Let's see there.I have given thumbs down to Last Stand,Origins,Elektra,and previous 2 FF films from Fox.So have the everuthing is crap if it isn't by MS/Disney cwoad ever say any of MS.And one user might come and say not everyone disliked Last Stand and origins.

I actully watched Shield and actully say Iron Man 3 to see if my negarive reaction from descriptions was right..Many are blasting the FF reboot before any actor is finalized.

A lot of my attitude to thor:The dark world comes from the first film just like there are people who didn't want to see the wolverine because of origins.Even saying it today i went and watched clips and featurettes for Thor:The dark world to see what mt guy Is telling me on film and I am not getting my Iron Man 3 meh feelings.although after seeing the full first trailer for man of steel I decered to see it and I was disappointed.

I don't know how FF will tune out.But,way too soon to dismiss It because Fox Is making it and It appears based on Ultimate FF.If I was going to boycat every Marvel adaptan that Isn't based entire on 616 I wouldn't be seeing most of them.

Which studios make these films are illevent.If it had been another studio that made the X-Men films then I would have supported them.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:54 PM   #838
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
Exactly, quite hypocritical

Quote:
and wolverine being In Avengers films In cameos or at best supporting roles.
I hate this. I've read many post that they just want Wolverine so he can be an Avenger with no mention of X-Men movies.. Same with Spidey, so they don't really care about those characters and their stories and so forth, they just want them to pad out the Avengers.

Quote:
I'm concerned how Green Goblin might turn out with some of the odd rumours, but other than just being concerned as a fan i'm concerned because if they do screw it up then Marvelites willl be throwing around the claim that MS would've done it "right" after.

They have a superiority complex of the studio holding them up to a pedestal.

That would be fine if they weren't trying to end other franchises so they can be monopolised by Disney. I can't stand reading news reports about the non-Disney movies as the comments are taken over by trolls going on about rights.

Quote:
Let's see there.I have given thumbs down to Last Stand,Origins,Elektra,and previous 2 FF films from Fox.So have the everuthing is crap if it isn't by MS/Disney cwoad ever say any of MS.
Fans admit mistakes and poor movies. Fanboys make excuses. The franchise rating of the X-franchise has a majority vote of 4/6. MS/disney has a majority of 7/7. Says it all really.

Last edited by CyclopsWasRight; 10-17-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:12 PM   #839
SoNicRaDiATioN
warming the ocean cold

Some of the Marvel Studios fanatics can definitely grate on your nerves. I've found many to be suffocating with their arrogance and know-it-all attitude and have learned to ignore them. It's easier said then done depending on where you are, but eventually it just becomes white noise. No Studio in history has a perfect track record and eventually this realization will hit them (for some it probably never will.) My favorite properties are at Fox and Sony, but I still support MS films and am a fan of quite a few of them. I never got this whole vs. thing, especially since it was Fox and Sony that kicked the Marvel revolution off.

I definitely agree it's irrelevant who makes these films, just whether the films are good or not. Hopefully great.

Last edited by SoNicRaDiATioN; 10-17-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:19 PM   #840
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Agreed Sonic.

My sig has my facvurite Marvel movies, Pretty much all studios.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:57 PM   #841
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

I place the MS films as good or very good-The avengers,The Incredible Hulk,Iron Man
Ok or uneven films but there are things I like-Cap,Iron Man 2,Thor
Bad-Iron Man 3

I can be tough on some franchises I am fan of-Like James Bond and star trek,I am tough on some of pre2009 trek films not just Into darkness,not just MS films.

Spider-man Is my second favorate comic book and i have been tough On Spider-man 3.To me It,Iron Man 3,last Stand,and origins are all In same catergry.

I am some issues with some of what Sam Rami did with SPider-man and Spider-Man 2 but i would never call them crap.

There have been rumors that Norman Osborn will be close to 616 version but the green goblin will come off like ultimate version.Now while i may not be thrilled with an ultimate
take on green goblin as long as Norman Is actully a villain and not a split personality I will be very thrilled.

Some might say james Mcavoy Is terrable as young Xavier since he doesn't resemble Xavier with him still playing him with hair.And there were people In past who said
Ian Mckellen was too old to play magneto.I doudt many would agree with that here but using some logic some use with regard to FF could apply.

Based on watching clips and feattures I am leaning towards seeing thor:The dark world,and just hope Darcy Isn't In it too much.

Last edited by marvelrobbins; 10-17-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:22 PM   #842
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post

I loved the X-Men franchise; my favorite Marvel movie franchise. But I also loved the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Punisher: War Zone and I can even enjoy the Ghost Rider films.
Yeah, I dig PWZ too. The over the top violence and acting cracks me up in that one, feels like the midnight action movies of the 80s imo. Got a soft spot for those.

Quote:
And I'm predicting an awesome box office run for DOFP
Yup, it's got all the ingredients to kick some ass at the box office and a solid release date to match. I see Marvel flicks from all studios scoring big next year.

Last edited by def28; 10-17-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:28 PM   #843
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

Quote:

If only.

This happens whenever one Superhero franchise is doing well. There rises a group who start to vehemently oppose said franchise, and another who over-zealously preach how much better it is than all the other films.

In the early to mid-2000's, it was the Spider-man films. Raimi could do no wrong, and you were flamed to holy hell if you disagreed. After BB, and especially after TDK, it was the Nolan Batman films. Now, it's the Marvel studious films.

Honestly, I take the above view. The overzealous supports can annoy me, but they do nothing to take away my enjoyment of solid movies, and that what marvel has been doing, making solid movies. I am, first and foremost, a comic fanboy. I have favorite superheroes in both DC and Marvel, and as such, I just want good films period. Sure, you get some people who overhype the movies and get a bit grating, but it doesn't ruin the enjoyment that we're in a time that I never thought would happen: Where films are starting to create, not just franchises, but comic based universes.

It's a great time to be a comic fan, so you might as well enjoy the ride. Don't let the postings of a few over-excited fans on the internet ruin it for you.

my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:

http://vimeo.com/41530049
Old 10-17-2013, 03:29 PM   #844
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
Based on watching clips and feattures I am leaning towards seeing thor:The dark world,and just hope Darcy Isn't In it too much.
I'm hoping Loki doesn't take over the movie. It's looking great though, i think they've perfected Thors look and it being moslty on Asgard is sounding great.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:49 PM   #845
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsWasRight View Post
I'm hoping Loki doesn't take over the movie. It's looking great though, i think they've perfected Thors look and it being moslty on Asgard is sounding great.
It looks like It could have been called Thor & Loki.

With it looking like a more asgard based film that Is good.The best parts of first thor was Asgard portian of film.

DOFP Is going to show us how Bryan Singer does In crafting a X-Men film In
enviroment his past X-Men films and sam Rami's Spider-man films helped create.

You have:

Storm looking a bit like AOA version
Bishop looking straight out of late 1990's comics
Blink looking close to comic version
Wolverine In future looks like DOFP comic version
Rogue reportly has a more comic book outfit
Iceman has been hinted to do things in Iceform like comics
Beast In Blue and furry looks like a younger version of classic blue and furry
beast
Quicksilver reportly has silver hair
Sentinles in films that look kind of like the sentinles on X-Men evolution
reportly some X-Force inspired looking outfits In future scenes with new
characters

Old 10-17-2013, 09:44 PM   #846
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

Quote:
The horrible hardcore Marvelites have taken a lot of the fun out of what should be a happy time for CBM fans. Then we have people like GenUsername and Zarex going on and on about how Disney/Marvel wants to destroy the X-Men. I'm not getting the same vibes you are.
There's a lot of them and its the reason why I want to dislike MCU films, but back in 2011 when I wasn't visiting message boards that much and reading comments from SHH's article. I couldn't care less which studio is making the film.

Last edited by psylockolussus; 10-17-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:27 PM   #847
Antihero
Side-Kick

Will DOFP make it to the top 10 WorldWide?

Old 10-17-2013, 10:34 PM   #848
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antihero View Post
Will DOFP make it to the top 10 WorldWide?
Of course it will! Well the first three films made it to the top 10.

X1- #9
X2- #9
X3- #7
W1- #15
FC- #18
W2- #12 (as of October 18, 2013)

Old 10-17-2013, 11:07 PM   #849
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:

If only.

Tell me about it XM, last night I was getting abused for complaining about the Thor 2 run-time as I think its too short. And currently in the GOTG thread I am getting abused and being called a hater because I have said all the MCU movies follow the same formula and I hope they change it up and take more risks with their movies in the future.

Its ridiculous. I was going to bring up FC and TW as examples of good CBM movies that took risks and changed the tone from their previous movies, but I thought better of it as it would likely start a MCU vs Fox war.

1)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(2)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(3)The Amazing Spider-Man 2-8(4)The Lego Movie-7.5(5)Robocop-7.5(6)300:Rise Of An Empire-7
Old 10-17-2013, 11:21 PM   #850
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

Yeah

In my case, when I criticized MCU films and even of Agents of Shield, some people mentioned the flaws of X-Men movies to make it look MCU is still better and it wasn't even the subject of the discussion. Oh well.

Closed Thread